• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

Zomg, even two paths to get to an objective. Did you play the original Thief games at all? The best levels in them didn't have 'routes' or alternatives, they were just so open that you could design your own routes instead of picking a designer's A or B choice. The level design might be awesome if you've only ever played Call of Duty but even Dishonored, action game that it is, beats NuThief's levels handily. Easiest way to compare is to take the house that exists in both Dishonored and Thief, which is the Whorehouse. Compare the options and complexity of those and you can see what I mean.

I'll quote what I said a couple posts back:
Yeah. I'm comparing it to modern games, though, not to the old Thief games for two reasons: Almost all old games have far more complex level design than anything today (that's just how it is), and this is a reboot of the franchise, not a sequel to those games. As a modern game, Thief's level design is great. It reminds me a lot of Dishonored and even Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory in that although you progress through the levels in fairly linear fashion, there are numerous paths to take and ways to go about completing the levels themselves.

True, Dishonored's levels were typically larger and more complex, but that doesn't take anything away from this game's level design IMO.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Finally got the game working on my PC, run pretty well on my computer (everything is maxed out)

I was wondering something about difficulty, are the guards more alert to sound and have a better vision if you put the base difficulty to master because I'm currently playing on custom with Thief as the base and I find it way too easy to walk around guards without alerting them .

Yes. The AI is purposefully broken at anything less than Master difficulty. That's why so many reviewers cited the AI as terrible.

I strongly suggest you restart on Master.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is this the standard we're supposed to accept in the modern era? The fact that game developers can't make decent gameplay levels because of "budget" seems like a cop out - especially with one that is in developement in 5 years. Jesus, we're not asking for Skyrim or GTA level areas.

Unfortunately, yes. The fact that the game took 5 years has nothing to do with it's initial art budget.

EvB

Just booted up the Xbox one version and got hit in the face with a shit ton of litter, just in the first room I started in

Yowser

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Still not sure what to think of this game. Mid-way through chapter 3 right now, and while I don't think I'm actually having an 'fun,' I feel strangely compelled to continue playing. It's almost as if it feels like something great is just around the corner.

The one thing really positive I can say about the game is that I really like how the environments look. The character models and animations are just bad (other than Garrett in the first person view), but the look of the town and building interiors is great.

My biggest qualm right now is that there seems to be zero freedom in this game, and that is exemplified by the contextual movement system. In fact, almost everything in this game seems to be contextual, making it feel more like a point and click adventure game or something in how the game won't even let you try certain things.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's also worth remembering that not everybody who found Thief to be a bit dull did so just because "It's not The Metal Age 2.0" or because it features modernisation in the mechanics and design. These things disappointed me, but weren't isolated factors in my impressions. I wasn't blown away by Thief not because of a preconceived standard, but because of what it ultimately was and how it plays. If I'm bored, I'm bored *shrug*. After all, I loved (most of) Human Revolution despite it, in many ways, being regressive in design scope to Deus Ex. Thief could have been that, but for me it wasn't.

JaxJag

Banned
I'm up to the 3rd chapter, i'm liking Thief quite a bit.

The combat is bad, but since this is a stealth game I don't see how it's really an issue. Honestly, If you're finding yourself in combat a lot, then you're probably playing it wrong.

Atmosphere is outstanding, very moody, love the setting. A.I. is bad, probably a little worse than your usual bad stealth game A.I..

Only 3 chapters in so my opinion of Thief could change, but i'm pleasantly surprised so far.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've never actually played out a combat scenario. Can you actually do anything but run away or try to gain distance and shoot an arrow? I'm going for a no kill playthrough, so I just avoid combat completely.

I've never actually played out a combat scenario. Can you actually do anything but run away or try to gain distance and shoot an arrow? I'm going for a no kill playthrough, so I just avoid combat completely.
I know you can dodge!

I know this because every time I get in a fight it tells me to dodge, and every time I get in a fight I reload a save.

So it continues to tell me to dodge.

Every time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I know you can dodge!

I know this because every time I get in a fight it tells me to dodge, and every time I get in a fight I reload a save.

So it continues to tell me to dodge.

Every time.

Same! Very annoying.

Press V to dodge!

Pat

I played some missions and I definitely prefer to play a thieft in Skyrim than this game... Which doesn't make sense.

Same! Very annoying.

Press V to dodge!
It's dispiriting, because it suggests to me that no one who developed or tested the game played it with a "spotted = game over" mentality. Surely someone would have pointed out it's annoying to get tutorial prompts 10 hours into a videogame.

GavinUK86

White flashing on the PC is very annoying. WTF is up with that?
That actually helps if you're playing with the light gem switched off.

I'm puzzled how the end of mission ghost, predator or opportunist thing works. I've been playing ghost (no detection or encounters at all) yet had a couple chapters tell me opportunist.

Starting this game tonight on a console. Any tips?

Play on Master Difficulty and turn off the Waypoint Marker (you can always toggle the mini-map to see where the objective is if you're lost). This makes the game as difficult as it should be by default (not overly difficult at all, but if you're spotted you're screwed unless you can escape which is how it should be) and also makes the levels seem even bigger since you don't have a waypoint telling you exactly where to go and can explore without any distractions.

arhra

That actually helps if you're playing with the light gem switched off.

I'm puzzled how the end of mission ghost, predator or opportunist thing works. I've been playing ghost (no detection or encounters at all) yet had a couple chapters tell me opportunist.

"Suspicions Raised" will count towards Opportunist/against Ghost, I believe, and it doesn't take many to tip it over. I finished the first proper mission with 1 (and got Ghost), but the Opportunist section of the piechart was still over a quarter from just that single one.

as someone who's never played any of the Thief games, i'm enjoying myself so far.

it's very intuitive and it allows me to figure out enough on my own whilst also giving me the right cues at the right time. i've already had a few 'OH SHIT' moments that taught me a good lesson as to how to approach situations better moving forward.

so far so good. unfortunate that the only opinions that are getting any weight are from those that have played the previous games.

Ricker

If there's one guy on you,its not bad but if there is 2 or more on you forget it,might as well try and run away...

Play on Master Difficulty and turn off the Waypoint Marker (you can always toggle the mini-map to see where the objective is if you're lost). This makes the game as difficult as it should be by default (not overly difficult at all, but if you're spotted you're screwed unless you can escape which is how it should be) and also makes the levels seem even bigger since you don't have a waypoint telling you exactly where to go and can explore without any distractions.
Great advice. I will do that. Thanks.

I think you (and many others as well) need to watch this video:
Stop liking things I don't like - Relativism in games critique

I care little that people like or adore this game, but when I see others say reviewers are wrong or that people that don't like this haven't played it on Master Difficulty I can't help but be confused. I've played it on Master Difficulty, No map, No waypoints, No reticule, no guard awareness levels, no kills or knockouts, etc. and got to chpt. 5 and it's still a mediocre game. Even if you were to judge it on it's own merits separated from the Thief series/franchise it'd be a mediocre game. I don't care that others like it, as lawd knows I've enjoyed many games that by all accounts most people hated (Nazi Zombie Army). But, I would say it's a bit misleading to say that if you like the Thief series, that this fits in fine and if you were a true fan you should pick it up. It has so many issues that people just don't want to recognize or refuse to accept. The thing is, I want it to do well enough so that it warrants another one in the franchise in more capable hands as I love the series as a whole, but I couldn't really recommend this game to anyone more than a rental unless some design issues are fixed, and they likely won't be.

edit:

By all means, it has some genuinely good ideas. I love the swoop mechanic, I like the lockpicking. And I think the art style and atmosphere is great. But other than that it just has so many problems that it's not a good game. But debating whether something is good or not is subjective to the person typing.

I've played now for over 10 hours and haven't even made it to the third chapter!

Most of my time has been spent scouring the city for collectibles and solving puzzles, of which there are quite a few. I love how detailed most of the interiors are. In a Game Informer issue a few months back, the developers were talking about how they wanted each house to tell a story and to that end I think they succeeded. Almost every house I've broken into has told me something about who lived there either through decorations, reading material, or both.

Here are a few screenshots:

7Rc0MzL.jpg

0X8OUyE.jpg

3yLzq4R.jpg

idWBCyb.jpg

gOyNTzp.jpg

zTY3Vi1.jpg

Notice the interior of the house in the last couple screenshots. That guy must really have it out for animals!

Completed the prologue and Chapter 1 so far and I'm LOVING it.
Custom Master difficulty, over 700pts (basically everything off expect Iron Man and chapter reset, IIRC).
Great atmosphere despite the aging engine (GTFO UE3 already...).
Sneaking around is fun, collecting stuff and robbin' everyone. :D
Game could perform better though, (i5 4670K, 7850 2GB 975/1250, 1200p everything maxed with SSAA off and double buffering and I get 60ps 90% of time, never falls below 45 (at least so far...)), but I think this will be patched to oblivion since most folks reported scores all over the board in the PC performance thread. Also, dat mantle... soon.gif :D

So yea, it's great, IMHO. Hope others enjoy it, too.

DukeBobby

The bank mission was actually pretty great. Some of the sidequests have been good, too.

The main missions, on the other hand, have been pretty disappointing so far.

Dead

well not really...yet
Ha! I just stumbled into that house with the animals. Was really impressed with the detail considering it was just some random one off location.

Tizoc

Well I maxed out all the settings but it seems the game runs at around 30 FPS! I had Triple Buffering on too.

I did a Benchmark and here are the results-
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=233156649

Here are my laptop's specs:
Intel i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40 GHz (Apparently I can up this to 3 GHz but I don't know how =P)
Internal Ram: 16 GB
Graphics card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 770M 3GB GDDR5 VRAM

How can I get it to be 60 FPS but still offer good visual presentation?

What the hell is wrong with the cutscenes on the PS4? Jittery as fuck.

I was wondering the same thing. Also the subtitles in an unplayable gameplay graphics/cutscene section were going crazy. I hope it's bugs and that's not supposed to be how the cutscenes look.

As to the game I just started it. It's pretty meh so far. It's like if somebody made a whole game out of my looting spree in games like Elder Scrolls. Which is ok I guess. Apparently knocking out 2 NPC's made me count as a predator. What kind of thief do they want me to be? I'd rather not risk getting seen if there's only one guard in an area thank you very much.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just done with the Chapter 2 main mission. Definately taking my time trying to ghost it, if I get detected I reload a save.

I'm really enjoying it. Now that I'm back in the city I'm exploring, took a couple of Basso's missions and just steal stuff left and right. The navigation through the city is well done, I don't understand the complaints of it being bland of a Dishonored clone. So far they're nothing alike.

That being said, the frequent loading is getting on my nerves. It completely breaks the flow and I often don't understand why the game requires loading in the first place. That tavern where Basso is hiding is extremely small and yet it requires a loading screen. I don't get it.

But yeah, really cool game. Every cutscene is an utter mess, still. Almost seems like they were three weeks before going gold and someone said "eh guys.. where are the cutscenes stored?" and someone else goes "...cutscenes? Aw shit Jerry, I knew we forgot something"

Dead

well not really...yet
First impressions had the game pegged at 8-10 hours long but I haven't even started chapter 3 and have clocked 8 hours already.

Moff

I'm at 16 hours now and finished mission 5 of 8
there are really tons of side quests and secrets if you are up to it

Yeah, I forgot to get at Basso between missions 2 and 3, and now I have 10 side quests lined up, as well as the second Vittori mission.

Sadly, most of them seem to involve revisiting buildings I broke into while wandering around earlier.

Just got mine. PS4. The graphics are nothing to shout about, but at least there's 1080p sharpness, detailed models and environments. Playing at master as per gaf's recommendation.

A little disappointed with the Thief3-like gate loading points, and nothing's really standing out 2 hours in so far, but it's not bad. Oh yeah, the loading, sheesh. We've been really spoiled by Sony first party devs.

I see no reason to say this game is bad. In fact, I think it's quite good as far as reboots go. Has its issues that could have been fixed but it looks great, sounds great, and plays like a competent stealth game. As a Thief game it's pretty much tied with Deadly Shadows for me, and I consider DS a very good Thief game.

The first two are masterpieces, but it is what it is.

Vitor711

Anyone else having weird FPS fluctuations on PC? The game goes from 60 to 45 and back up again at weird moments. Usually when I'm outside. It's really jarring. Running it nearly maxed out at 1080 and even turning it all to low has the same effect.

Was playing CastleVania maxed at 60FPS the other day with no issues.... Weird.

DukeBobby

Yeah, I was expecting there to be, like, 2 side quests and only a few enterable buildings.

There is actually a lot to do, although not all of it is worth doing.

inm8num2

Is that site legit?

I'm not entirely sure.

Not really allowed on GAF.

It doesn't matter what the price is on a key site, really.

I wasn't trying to endorse that site, but it might have been better to just say, "Some random site is selling keys for $21." Might have thought people would want a link to investigate for themselves. Either way, I removed the link as I think you're correct it'd be better to not post that.

Angry Fork

I've only played a half hour so far, the tutorial thing, well I still am in tutorial I guess I've been dropped into the next 'level'. It's okay so far I haven't played enough to judge yet but my #1 issue right now is why is there an animation for every little thing you do?

Why can't it be like Deus Ex HR where if you open a door/drawer it just opens. I don't understand the rationale of forcing you to wait a second just to see your characters hands open it. In a game where you're opening every single thing this is incredibly tiresome. It almost makes you want to stop playing because the camera is constantly doing this back and forth because of it. Can this be patched or modded out somehow in the future?

Also in regards to performance, high preset gives me around 30fps average but when I put it to low it's just like 34fps, not worth changing. And the highest preset is 25 or so. Why such a small difference between dramatically different presets? Anyone know what particular setting can get me into the 40s at least? Besides resolution, I refuse to compromise on 1080p.

Top Bottom