• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

areal

Any thoughts on Thief versus Tomb Raider? I'm looking for something new to play on PS4 but neither seems to stand out, especially at full price.

Also, any remote play impressions?

shinn623

Ended up getting this on PC instead of PS4 because I have the rig to play this at max settings. The new patch appears to have made performance even better.

As far as how enjoyable the experience has been. I've been having a pretty fun time. The atmosphere is top notch and adds a lot to the experience. I feel that if you like stealth type games or play very strategically/stealthily instead of guns blazing in other games, you'll enjoy Thief quite a bit. Plus I'm OCD in games and this game fills that itch with all the loot and how they are distributed throughout the game world. Just finished chapter 3, but thus far its been a 8.5 experience taking all the pros and cons for me.

Thinking of getting this monday. Is it worth it to those that have it already?

No. Rent it. If you are stealth-starved for games, sure. But it's more along the lines of a $25.00 purchase as opposed to a $60.00 one. It has way too many issues. It does have things to enjoy, but there are more problems than there are good.

edit:

Any thoughts on Thief versus Tomb Raider? I'm looking for something new to play on PS4 but neither seems to stand out, especially at full price.

Between the two I'd say Tomb Raider is the better game. But they try to achieve different things really. TR is an action-adventure game. Thief, is very stealth focused, if your caught by more than one guard in Thief and can't run, you'll most likely die on the higher difficulties. Tomb Raider is the better buy if you ask me.

UnrealEck

Latest patch improves performance a little.

Now getting an average of 48 FPS (was just over 40 FPS before) at 4K maxed out (no supersampling) with 2GB GTX 770.

justjim89

I really don't see how people have beat the game in under 15 hours unless they were just blazing through, or focus makes it way too easy. 13 hours in for me and I'm just now looking into side mission stuff before chapter four. The Bank Heist is a fucking great level.

I'm in Stonemarket on Market Street and I can't figure out how to get up onto the platforms at the northern (dead end) end of the street.

Does anyone know? I've already looked for rope arrow posts.

I really don't see how people have beat the game in under 15 hours unless they were just blazing through, or focus makes it way too easy. 13 hours in for me and I'm just now looking into side mission stuff before chapter four. The Bank Heist is a fucking great level.

Agreed. The average on HowLongToBeat is 11 hours for the main story and everything else. How in the hell are people finishing this game so quickly? Did they not explore at all? I've already clocked in 13 hours myself and I'm just getting started with the third chapter!

oh my godddd so much lockpicking and its so fucking bad

Yeah, they could've put a little more thought into it considering how much you do of it.

The thing is, what more could they have done to make lockpicking exciting? I don't see many ideas to spruce it up.

codhand

Agreed. The average on HowLongToBeat is 11 hours for the main story and everything else. How in the hell are people finishing this game so quickly? Did they not explore at all? I've already clocked in 13 hours myself and I'm just getting started with the third chapter!

i dunno howlongtobeat leans on the shorter side for me too, i usually add 15%

Chabbles

Im enjoying this so far, took an hour to finish the first chapter. Then into the city where iv spent the next 2 hours wandering around searching every nook and cranny i could find.
This is reminding me of Human revolution, after the first mission and entering Detroit and searching everywhere, trying to access every rooftop and what not.

My only complaints right now is the frame rate. its always dipping below 30fps, i thought it'd be awhile before we'd have to deal with these sorts of frames on PS4... luckily its not a shooter, but still, its no excuse.

I just finished TR afew days ago, and from the 3 or so hours iv spent on thief. id say if you feel like playing something along the lines of Uncharted or maybe a Dead space game (solid linear type game, with set pieces), get TR. But if you feel like playing something along the lines of Dishonored or Deus Ex HR (something less linear, with more options on how you approach things, plus stealth), get Thief.

I'm just glad lock picking isn't as stupid hard and frustrating as Oblivion's. With breakable finite lock picks to boot.

It's fine for me in Thief. The challenge comes with getting it done quickly under time constraints if a guard is coming, or if you're in the light.

Then just drop the stupid minigame.

Lockpicking exists in stealth games to create tension and force more precision in finding windows in guard patrols. It adds another element beyond merely moving from safe spot to safe spot while dodging vision cones; you have to stay calm enough to complete a normally simple task while remaining exposed. Bland or no, it's a useful tool in creating variety in stealth gameplay.

Too many people think the point of a stealth game is to get the final cutscene.

ironcreed

Banned
I have this sitting here and I really can't wait to hop into it. I just have to finish the slog through Lords of Shadow 2 first.

DirtyLarry

Just checked the game out for about 90 minutes (give or take) on the PS4. Thankfully I rented it from GameFly. I'll be sending it back tomorrow morning first thing. I have zero interest in continuing.

The simplest way to put it is the game might have been good if it was released 5 years ago. And even then it just might have been good. Key word being might.

I played the original Thief games and they were such a superior experience compared to what this game is. It is not even comparable. They were smart games for their time. This game is stupid. No other way to put it.
  • It is so stale and full of so many cliche mechanics it is actually pretty sad.
  • Opening countless drawers to find loot.
  • The classic pick the lock mechanic is as standard as it has ever been.
  • The enemy AI is a joke. Truly too many negative aspects about the AI to even begin trying to nitpick it.

It just feels like a truly bootleg game. Just really bad and nothing new whatsoever, and the standards it does do, it does them good enough at best. Really quite laughable at worst.

SOOOOOO glad I rented this. I would have been very mad at myself if I somehow purchased it at full price.

And oh yeah one last thing, it runs like absolute ass. Frame rate is awful.

Obviously this is just my opinion, and I see people are enjoying it so truly not trying to steal your thunder or rain on your parade. Different strokes for different folks. I can see possibly getting nice and lit up and somehow getting engulfed in the atmosphere. Perhaps. Guards repeating the same things within 10 seconds and walking around in the most predictable patterns possible might break the immersion I would imagine, but hey, I have enjoyed games I know others have not as well. For someone out there this is their personal GOTY. Not me.

Just played some of the Prologue since it was finally released in EU - holy shit does this game look good. Like, I haven't been this impressed by graphics in quite a while. SSAA helps, of course, though not even that could tame the insane jaggies on the bird cages, haha. Same results when downsampling from 4K so I'm assuming the in-game SSAA works properly.

Also, turning off interaction prompts, other HUD elements as well as custom difficulty settings have already made this game completely fantastic for me. Can't wait to play more, but alas, I'm out of town for a few days now :(

Edit: I actually like looking through all the drawers. OCD much?

Klocker

Still early. But played for about 4+ hours, master difficulty with some other stuff and some hud elements off...

really enjoying it so far
love stealing everything, sneaking etc... Nice challenge imo

Tizoc

Well I maxed out all the settings but it seems the game runs at around 30 FPS! I had Triple Buffering on too.

I did a Benchmark and here are the results-
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=233156649

Here are my laptop's specs:
Intel i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40 GHz (Apparently I can up this to 3 GHz but I don't know how =P)
Internal Ram: 16 GB
Graphics card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 770M 3GB GDDR5 VRAM

How can I get it to be 60 FPS but still offer good visual presentation?
Could someone help please? Should I disable SSA?

Tizoc

Oh BTW, should I restart on Master difficulty? I'm really only at the very start of the game.
Thing is I don't want to be frustrated when playing and relying on Save Scumming, but at the same time if Normal doesn't give a good impression of the game, I'd rather play it ona difficulty that'll let me better judge or appreciate the game.

SJRB

Gold Member
Oh BTW, should I restart on Master difficulty? I'm really only at the very start of the game.
Thing is I don't want to be frustrated when playing and relying on Save Scumming, but at the same time if Normal doesn't give a good impression of the game, I'd rather play it ona difficulty that'll let me better judge or appreciate the game.

Custom difficulty is advisable because you can tailor-fit pretty much everything to your personal preference. And yes, I'd recommend master difficulty. The AI is definately not all-seeing in Master but rather more "realistic". It makes the game more challenging but I've never had a moment where it was unfair.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
no focus, no aids, master difficulty, this game is fun as fuck, love it so far and yes, it does feel like a Thief game to me. Except for the horrible, horrible performance.

Tizoc

Custom difficulty is advisable because you can tailor-fit pretty much everything to your personal preference. And yes, I'd recommend master difficulty. The AI is definately not all-seeing in Master but rather more "realistic". It makes the game more challenging but I've never had a moment where it was unfair.

Thanks, once I figure out how to get the game to run at 60 FPS, I'll start on Master.
I t ake it SSAA is the one that might be causing the lower FPS on my laptop, so I'll disable it, set it to double buffering and hopefully the frame rate will improve.

Axial

Is there any way to get back into previous locations to get loot or collectibles? I missed one collectible in the 'lockdown' mission right at the beginning and don't know how to get back there.

Tizoc

Is there any way to get back into previous locations to get loot or collectibles? I missed one collectible in the 'lockdown' mission right at the beginning and don't know how to get back there.

Apparently you can't, there's no backtracking like that based on impressions I've read on other threads.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You want to drop lockpicking out of a Thief game, are you serious?

Just disable the visual aid if it's too easy for you.
I think it's a little funny to decide its lock picking that is sacrosanct in Thief and that's what we have to preserve given everything else they decided to sacrifice.

Still, I understand the role it plays in the game and why that's important. I just don't think they did a very good job with it (it's not that it is just. too easy, but that it is very frequent and not particularly imaginative in design). I believe excision is how problems should be fixed when it's too late to fix them properly and I've always felt that about games.

I'd even be fine if they left in a timed animation but didn't make me do it so that everyone can have their time/visibility trade off.

I really liked pipe dream and the deus ex hacking game at first but I have learned over time my tolerance for repetition had really diminished.

Lockpicking exists in stealth games to create tension and force more precision in finding windows in guard patrols. It adds another element beyond merely moving from safe spot to safe spot while dodging vision cones; you have to stay calm enough to complete a normally simple task while remaining exposed. Bland or no, it's a useful tool in creating variety in stealth gameplay.
Agree with this, but Thief doesn't put you under pressure while doing it often enough.

The lockpicking is fun enough with a vibrating controller. It's one of the reasons I switched to mouse and keyboard (the other being analog movement).

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Does replaying chapters erase anything that you unlocked further in? I enjoyed the Bank Heist mission. So far not that keen on the levels I've played for the story.

The light bar flickering between blue and white all the time is killing me, is there really no way to disable it?
Playing in the dark with this police light in my hands is gonna drive me insane.

Chabbles

The light bar flickering between blue and white all the time is killing me, is there really no way to disable it?
Playing in the dark with this police light in my hands is gonna drive me insane.

Its also killing the DS4's battery, completely unnecessary feature that should have an option to be disable.

Solidsoul

Banned
If anyone out there could help answer a question for me real quick it would be much appreciated.

I purchased Thief on Xbox One, and it will NOT play without a 6GB update, it doesn't matter if i am online or offline, it will not play at all unless i get this update.

My internet speed is about 300KB a second, it will take me the entire day to download this update.

I have both an Xbox One and PS4, i called Best Buy and they said they will let me switch the game out for another version (PS4) because of the inconvenience. My question is:

Does the PS4 version of Thief require an update to be able to play the game? Like are you able to actually play the game without taking the update? Also, is the update 6GB on PS4 also?

Loving this game on pc. Started this morn, (somehow) clocked in 5 hours today and I'm only just off to get the ring off the dead guy. Spent most of my time exploring, doing sidequests, finding bits and pieces. This game pretty much has its finger on the pleasure centres in my brain. All the things I like about first person adventures. On master difficulty, but I decided against customisations for now, and I'll do a mega custom mode second time through. I probably should have added in no guard takedowns though because I've been resetting if that happens.

Sorian

Banned
I think it's a little funny to decide its lock picking that is sacrosanct in Thief and that's what we have to preserve given everything else they decided to sacrifice.

Still, I understand the role it plays in the game and why that's important. I just don't think they did a very good job with it (it's not that it is just. too easy, but that it is very frequent and not particularly imaginative in design). I believe excision is how problems should be fixed when it's too late to fix them properly and I've always felt that about games.

I'd even be fine if they left in a timed animation but didn't make me do it so that everyone can have their time/visibility trade off.

I really liked pipe dream and the deus ex hacking game at first but I have learned over time my tolerance for repetition had really diminished.

Necessary evil, the locked door in front of you has to provide some kind of roadblock and a challenge that can be messed up by the player. For doing ghost runs, it is extremely important, especially considering that fiddling with the lock for too long can cause you to lose track of that patrolling guard who can be here at any moment and that a miss press causes a noise that will generate focus to your area. The mini-game itself may be boring but it implements just enough to show off its importance. They could have just made it so that Garrett takes a certain amount of time to unlock a locked door but that takes away player agency from experience and removes an element that can have consequences on the immediate situation.

Can someone please tell me if the update on PS4 is mandatory and what size download it is....

i don't think it's mandatory... however, my PS4 started downloading and installed the update before i could even start playing the game. i think it was around 200mb.

basically, i stick my PS4 discs in and then go grab a glass of water and a blanket, and by the time i'm back the game is done with the background install. Thief had already been updated by the time i got back.

so i don't know if it's mandatory (patch notes didn't make it seem like it was) but it's not huge or anything.

Solidsoul

Banned
i don't think it's mandatory... however, my PS4 started downloading and installed the update before i could even start playing the game. i think it was around 200mb.

basically, i stick my PS4 discs in and then go grab a glass of water and a blanket, and by the time i'm back the game is done with the background install. Thief had already been updated by the time i got back.

so i don't know if it's mandatory (patch notes didn't make it seem like it was) but it's not huge or anything.

Thank you so much.

It's really sad they make it so hard to play on the Xbox One. I tried so many different methods of getting it to play but it won't do anything without the entire 6GB download.

Is loot hidden in realistic places in this game or in bs locations like rooftops and rafters and stuff? Hate missing stuff hidden in random locales. Annoyed me in dishonoured.

yatesl

I'm on chapter 2 and enjoying it so far.

What's with the hate?

Edit: Full disclosure, I got this for free from some AMD code buying/reselling on eBay. I guess if I'd have paid £40 I'd feel differently. I've also played about 30 minutes of any older Thief game in the past, so that could be it.

Top Bottom