• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

Chabbles

Just finished chapter 2, alittle over 6 hours played and im loving every second of this game. Turning off all the UI stuff makes the game so much more immersive. specially when exploring the city and searching for hidden stuff, and its not lacking either, once you have some rope arrows and the wrench handy.

Just finished chapter 2, alittle over 6 hours played and im loving every second of this game. Turning off all the UI stuff makes the game so much more immersive. specially when exploring the city and searching for hidden stuff, and its not lacking either, once you have some rope arrows and the wrench handy.

I was wondering, if you turn off the UI. How hard is it to find the start of the main missions?

Chabbles

I was wondering, if you turn off the UI. How hard is it to find the start of the main missions?

Out of the 6 hours iv played, iv had the UI turned off for the last 2, and haven't had any issues. Pushing down on the D-pad (PS4) brings up a mini-map, and push down again to get rid of it. It displays everything you need to find a mission, or using the full map from the options when needed.
Bhs3qpmIcAAcGSy.jpg

I left on the warning indicator when guards get suspicious, along with the loot indicator (glowing loot)

over here, I have something for you

Goddamn the merchant annoys the living shit out of me. Easily the most annoying character in video games. I almost want to stop playing because of this one guy repeating himself every ten seconds.

Chabbles

Goddamn the merchant annoys the living shit out of me. Easily the most annoying character in video games. I almost want to stop playing because of this one guy repeating himself every ten seconds.

This reminds me, iv noticed an annoying audio glitch where npc's repeat dialog. Theyl say the same line twice without a break in the sentence. Iv noticed it afew times tonight.

justjim89

It bugs me how you only get rewarded for whichever optional objective fits the playstyle the mission ranks you. Just beat Chapter 4, and I got 8 pickpockets, 10 knockouts, and never was discovered. But I only get rewarded for the pickpockets? If I went through the trouble to accomplish all three and they don't conflict, reward me for all three!

arhra

Thi4f doesn't even seem to care very much what surface you're on (apart from broken glass), whereas in the earlier games every heavy footstep could make you wince.

That kinda annoyed me about the old games, actually. I mean, Garrett is a master thief, not a tapdancer. You'd think he'd have figured out the trick of wearing soft-soled shoes to minimize the noise of his footsteps regardless of the surface he was walking on.

Choosing the slower movement modifier to reach 700 was a terrible decision, tempted to restart. You are like molasses :/

Yeah, it took me a couple of restarts to find a set of difficulty mods I was happy with. Slower movement was just excruciating (even while "sprinting"; during that first sequence where you have to chase Erin, it's like, am I a master thief, or an overweight middle-aged executive out for a lunchtime jog?), and the expensive resources are insane (1000G for a wrench? 600G for a goddamn rope arrow?).

Currently running with everything but those two, the fuck-with-the-save-system ones, and no reticle turned on (totals up to 725pts), and hoping that "no upgrades" doesn't fuck me out of anything important down the line (is anything other than the focus system actually upgradable?)

nOoblet16

I've played this game for 2 hours now and it is so boring. You almost always just have one path to follow, the enemy placements/encounters are so unremarkable and it's so easy to get past them. The entire game so far has been me going from point A to point B with picking random cups and knives as loot.

chapter 5 was a nice surprise and i enjoyed the atmosphere and tension throughout. though by the end it didn't live up to its potential.

Anyone else try out Remote Play in Chapter 4? The virtual buttons were fucked for some reason, with L3 and R3 mapped to the rear shoulders, and L1 and R1 below it.

Once I got back to the City it reverted to the correct way, but getting through the mission was harder than it should have been.

SJRB

Gold Member

But he has something for all your nefarious needs.

Klocker

Really enjoying this game with master and less hud elements.

only issue for me is that corridor motion sickness is in full effect for me here.

it only happens in sp corridor games (on console so low fps may be part of it)

going to try slow mode and see I I can keep playing

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member

I said earlier in this thread I was enjoying Thief, not anymore. I just couldn't take the sound issues any longer and just really pissed me off. The constant repeating (FUCKING MERCHANT), NPCs talking over each other and being able to hear someone a mile away all the time. AHH.

I've sold the game, stuck it in the post and bought PvZ:GW an hour ago, I'm already having more fun. Shame.

Damn. I love this game haha. Just got my second load of side mission off Basso, really enjoy just wondering around the city exploring, doing side stuff, seeing what I can find and steal. Trying to figure out if there's a rhyme or reason to
the buttons behind the plaques, on the obelisks? I have two documents shows them, think maybe I have to go round the city pressing them in a certain order?
. It's great fun though. If I could change some thing though, I'd rather if maybe Basso only gave you some missions? And in exchange the tavern was more interactive, able to speak to individual npcs, get extra missions off them too, maybe a spot or two like that around the city? Good stuff though.

Izcarielo

Banned
Im about to being Chapter 7, and im wondering if im the only one desperately trying to guess which path is the one thats going to isolate me from the rest of the level and make me miss some loot. Its infuriating I swear.
I still couldnt finish a level with 100% loot because I open a door or a window and then theres no way back pfffffff

Moff

Im about to being Chapter 7, and im wondering if im the only one desperately trying to guess which path is the one thats going to isolate me from the rest of the level and make me miss some loot. Its infuriating I swear.
I still couldnt finish a level with 100% loot because I open a door or a window and then theres no way back pfffffff

very annoying
but if you quicksave a lot, like me, at least you can reload.

SJRB

Gold Member
Damn. I love this game haha. Just got my second load of side mission off Basso, really enjoy just wondering around the city exploring, doing side stuff, seeing what I can find and steal. Trying to figure out if there's a rhyme or reason to
the buttons behind the plaques, on the obelisks? I have two documents shows them, think maybe I have to go round the city pressing them in a certain order?
. It's great fun though. If I could change some thing though, I'd rather if maybe Basso only gave you some missions? And in exchange the tavern was more interactive, able to speak to individual npcs, get extra missions off them too, maybe a spot or two like that around the city? Good stuff though.

I agree. The concept is great but the execution is lacking. There's no point in the tavern whatsoever. I can imagine the goal was to indeed have Garrett listen in on conversations in the tavern to get leads on valuables but they just cut it and gave Basso a magical list of valuable items. Also FUCK the dude yelling at the entrance every single time.

I guess there are more examples where it almost seems like the devs didn't have enough time [ironically enough]. The clocktower is another HUGE oppertunity that they completely overlooked. It would be nice if we could customize it, something to spend money on. Also, no exploration in the tower is just silly, that thing looks enormous. Why can't I climb to the top? Why is there no place where I can overlook the city and feel like a cool guy?

Dommo

That kinda annoyed me about the old games, actually. I mean, Garrett is a master thief, not a tapdancer. You'd think he'd have figured out the trick of wearing soft-soled shoes to minimize the noise of his footsteps regardless of the surface he was walking on.

So let's just take out an entire gameplay mechanic because of a minor realism error. That was a massive part of the originals. Managing the surfaces your walking on. Shitting your pants when you see a corridor of marble. Jumping from sheet of carpet to sheet of carpet careful to not land on the marble. Frantically laying down moss arrows to get out of harms way.

KiraXD

so... do you ever start making more money than the couple hundred gold you get after hours and hours? by chapter 2, and finding every piece of loot and collectible in chapter 1 i think i had about 1600g... i never feel like a bad ass thief... just a schmuck with kleptomania... when do you get big scores so i can buy tools and upgrades?

so... do you ever start making more money than the couple hundred gold you get after hours and hours? by chapter 2, and finding every piece of loot and collectible in chapter 1 i think i had about 1600g... i never feel like a bad ass thief... just a schmuck with kleptomania... when do you get big scores so i can buy tools and upgrades?

There are side missions and client missions, as well as more unique pieces in each chapter. Chapter 1 and 2 are still early.

I agree. The concept is great but the execution is lacking. There's no point in the tavern whatsoever. I can imagine the goal was to indeed have Garrett listen in on conversations in the tavern to get leads on valuables but they just cut it and gave Basso a magical list of valuable items. Also FUCK the dude yelling at the entrance every single time.

I guess there are more examples where it almost seems like the devs didn't have enough time [ironically enough]. The clocktower is another HUGE oppertunity that they completely overlooked. It would be nice if we could customize it, something to spend money on. Also, no exploration in the tower is just silly, that thing looks enormous. Why can't I climb to the top? Why is there no place where I can overlook the city and feel like a cool guy?

Completely agree on all your points man. I just clocked that that guy pulls the same speech outside the tavern every time haha. The reality is likely that while this game was a long time in pre- production, it probably wasn't that long in actual development, leading to the stuff you mentioned there. All of that would have made sense. Can only hope that the reviews and numbers are just good enough that they get a sequel opportunity and can really run from here as a starting point and get a lot further with some ideas. Also, why are all my meaningless steals on show in the tower, and the unique awesome looking items are in a chest? Wtf ha. That all said, still super happy with what I've got, you can just see the endless potential.

Navigating the city is so damn tedious. These Basso sidequests just aren't worth it.

the hub areas do suck really badly, but the random thieving mini-missions are the only things i'm really enjoying so far. i've got almost all assists turned off so figuring out the little puzzles is somewhat rewarding.

justjim89

How do I unlock Basso's side missions? Seems like every time I try to go to him it's either for a story mission or he's not by the Burrick, it could just be bad timing on my part.

How do I unlock Basso's side missions? Seems like every time I try to go to him it's either for a story mission or he's not by the Burrick, it could just be bad timing on my part.

I don't think Basso has side missions, I think he does the story missions. That Ector guy to the upper west side of the hub area does side missions.

Sectus

I don't think Basso has side missions, I think he does the story missions. That Ector guy to the upper west side of the hub area does side missions.

Basso does. I think Ector (and another dude) gives out side missions, while Basso gives out small client jobs. You get access to new Basso jobs now and then. I can remember at one point I accepted 15 new jobs from Basso.

Basso does. I think Ector (and another dude) gives out side missions, while Basso gives out small client jobs. You get access to new Basso jobs now and then. I can remember at one point I accepted 15 new jobs from Basso.

Now that you mention it I do remember client jobs being listed in my menus and Basso being named.

The more I play, the better this game gets. I just completed the Bank Heist mission and had a blast. It was a pre-order bonus sadly, so not everyone will have it, but it's probably my favorite mission thus far. Its level design is right up there with anything from Dishonored IMO. The brothel mission (Chapter 3) was fun as hell, too! It was almost like a mixture of Dishonored's "party" mission and Tomb Raider.

PnCIa

A friend of mine compared this to Hitman Absolution regarding what they did with the levels.
He said that they essentially took a bigger "sandbox" and chopped it into little pieces. Is that true?

Sectus

A friend of mine compared this to Hitman Absolution regarding what they did with the levels.
He said that they essentially took a bigger "sandbox" and chopped it into little pieces. Is that true?

It is true if you compare it with Thief 1 and 2. But it has more open level design and more freedom than typical modern games.

JLeack

Banned

They both have way fewer options than their predecessors. They also are both more story oriented, so that linearity is part of focusing the flow of gameplay.

eXistor

Man, so far I'm having a blast with this (just done with chapter 2 and 5 or so sidequests). I'm not really seeing all the negatives thrown around, it feels like a proper stealth game. It has AI issues and navigating the City is kinda tedious (but nowhere near as bad as some people are making it out to be). Combat is grade-A donkey balls, but whenever anyone sees me I reload anyway (I always do in these kind of games).

I think the key to enjoyment is in the difficulty settings. I play on Master, with just about everything turned off. No waypoints, no map, no loot glint (god that's stupid btw), no light-orb, no health indicator etc. I checked a random Let's Play that just used standard settings and I would drop the game in 5 minutes if I couldn't turn that shit off, it basically breaks the game.

Let's be clear: this is no Thief 2, but as of now I think it's a worthy addition to the series.

Chabbles

Man, so far I'm having a blast with this (just done with chapter 2 and 5 or so sidequests). I'm not really seeing all the negatives thrown around, it feels like a proper stealth game. It has AI issues and navigating the City is kinda tedious (but nowhere near as bad as some people are making it out to be). Combat is grade-A donkey balls, but whenever anyone sees me I reload anyway (I always do in these kind of games).

I think the key to enjoyment is in the difficulty settings. I play on Master, with just about everything turned off. No waypoints, no map, no loot glint (god that's stupid btw), no light-orb, no health indicator etc. I checked a random Let's Play that just used standard settings and I would drop the game in 5 minutes if I couldn't turn that shit off, it basically breaks the game.

Let's be clear: this is no Thief 2, but as of now I think it's a worthy addition to the series.

It was annoying at the start, but i think iv grown to rely on it. Its a big help finding loot around that dark city. And i would of missed one item so far due to it being glitched under some hay texture or something on the city pavement. I think it was only some gold coins though, but it would of literally been impossible to see only for the loot glint.

Whaaat. The Bank Heist mission is a pre-order bonus? I did wonder where I had activated it. That's crazy. A super well designed mission, crazy they wouldn't include that in the full game. Also just did the House Of Blossoms, really really good. Bit disappointed, apparently I got no knockouts but "killed 1 threat" at some point. I have no idea what this could of been, I'm been enforcing my own restarts if I'm detected or anything, but it means I was knocked down to "opportunist" instead of "ghost". I'm happy to go back and do it again at some point since it was great, just flummoxed what I could have killed or how. 11 hours on the clock and I'm still in chptr 3. Top stuff. For £20, this game has a ton load of quantity and quality.

Dead

well not really...yet
Whaaat. The Bank Heist mission is a pre-order bonus? I did wonder where I had activated it. That's crazy. A super well designed mission, crazy they wouldn't include that in the full game. Also just did the House Of Blossoms, really really good. Bit disappointed, apparently I got no knockouts but "killed 1 threat" at some point. I have no idea what this could of been, I'm been enforcing my own restarts if I'm detected or anything, but it means I was knocked down to "opportunist" instead of "ghost". I'm happy to go back and do it again at some point since it was great, just flummoxed what I could have killed or how. 11 hours on the clock and I'm still in chptr 3. Top stuff. For £20, this game has a ton load of quantity and quality.
Yeah that mission has an hour + of substantial gameplay. Crazy that they'd make it a preorder thing. Glad I got it in any case.

Oni Jazar

Those who are far enough in the game, does it have the crazy supernatural elements that the older games had? No spoilers just a yes or no. One of the big draws to the old Thief is the setting and how fucked up it got.

Klocker

was really enjoying this but the motion sickness is really bad for me... shame as I was enjoying it more than I expected.

anyone on the fence due to the awesome difficulty settings you can get this game to play to suit many needs... really worth it.

oh well see you all in the next game

Top Bottom