• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

Vaiim

So this is a neat idea. Eidos has teamed up with Amazon, AMD, and the team behind The Dark Mod for a modding contest:

http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Thief-Modding-Contest

I highly recommend anybody excited for this game to play the Dark Mod while you wait. It's fantastic and free stealth game that tries its best to recreate the Thief 2 experience.

Hmm nice idea. I know this contest is for Thief1, but does the new Thief have mod tools of its own? Also totally agree, The Dark Mod is brilliant, especially if you like old school Thief gameplay.

THIEF Gameplay Walkthrough with Tara Long and Eidos Montreal...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MefdILzzRvc#t=1925

So apparently when someone is complaining about the small levels or bad AI, that means he is blinded by nostalgia.. what the hell?

Ugh that was painful to listen to lol.

Just because the game can be changed doesn't give it excuse to have something "down the line" because they are inept to deliver a consistent product.

I agree completely. That wasn't the point of my post. Point was that they CAN change.

That aside, I'm not really seeing issues that others are having. From what I've seen it takes into modern considerations that younger generations have grown accustomed to while still giving us old fuddys the agency of making the game harder if we so choose. I'm not really seeing the problem. Level design is anyone's guess, as even just watching 1 person play it, you only see that specific instance of playing, and not the player choice we as individuals would have. If it's linear as some may suspect, sure I understand the criticism, but to outright dismiss it with no one having played through it twice is a bit disingenuous and just reductive nostalgic reasoning if you ask me.

B4D1E

Yeah I saw that video yesterday. The guy wasn't selling the game well. But from what I saw from the gameplay, I thought the game was ok. I didn't understand all the hatred the game got on GAF. Maybe people were expecting too much.

Nevertheless I think I will grab it on tuesday and make my own opinion. If I'm wrong, it won't be the first or last time I bought a disappointing game ;)

Kouichi

Nonetheless I continue to be puzzled by a lot of the double standards the new game is being held to. It feels like people just want to hate this game when I've seen nothing in the walkthroughs, the streams, etc. that justify the vitriol.

I certainly do agree that people hold the original Thief games in this unreasonably high standard. Sure, I adored all three games when I played them last year and the series instantly jumped to one of my favorite game franchise of all time, but I will never say their perfect or impossible to surpass. Hell, I thought Deadly Shadows and Dishonored were better than the original Thief.

This kind of vitriol always occurs with reboots of a popular franchise. I'm not saying it's all unreasonable or unfair, but there's certainly is a lot of blind hate with reboots. I don't bother arguing about it because it never goes anywhere. I even found myself saying this might be a great stealth game, but a bad Thief game. That sounds like utter nonsense.

This is a clearly Thief game with the majority of staples that defined the franchise intact. All that matters now is if it's a good game or not. I love most of what I've seen, so I'm optimistic.

I certainly do agree that people hold the original Thief games in this unreasonably high standard. Sure, I adored all three games when I played them last year and the series instantly jumped to one of my favorite game franchise of all time, but I will never say their perfect or impossible to surpass. Hell, I thought Deadly Shadows and Dishonored were better than the original Thief.

This kind of vitriol always occurs with reboots of a popular franchise. I'm not saying it's all unreasonable or unfair, but there's certainly is a lot of blind hate with reboots. I don't bother arguing about it because it never goes anywhere. I even found myself saying this might be a great stealth game, but a bad Thief game. That sounds like utter nonsense.

This is a clearly Thief game with the majority of staples that defined the franchise intact. All that matters now is if it's a good game or not. I love most of what I've seen, so I'm optimistic.

Good to hear that at least someone likes it! I love the thief games and I don't think it would actually be all that hard to make a worthy successor to the series, I've just been worried that companies wouldn't because they'd think there wasn't a market for it. I think I'll wait for all the reviews to come out then see for myself. Totally not a game I can bring myself to watch though, since if it's bad it'll be painful and if it's good there will be so many
spoilers

I've only played Thief II and I loved it. Is it worth going back to Thief I and Deadly Shadows? Seems like DS gets a bit of criticism.

Cheech

Picked this up at Gamefly for $33.75 on PC. Weird it is so cheap on PC. I would have preferred to play it on my PS4, but can't beat (almost) half off.

Vaiim

I've only played Thief II and I loved it. Is it worth going back to Thief I and Deadly Shadows? Seems like DS gets a bit of criticism.

Thief 1 definitely worth a play if you liked 2. It's basically the same game, but more of a focus on the supernatural/Hammerites instead of the Mechanists.

Thief 3 is almost certainly worth a try as well. It's a step back, mostly in terms of the level design, but since Thief1+2 set such a high standard, we're still talking about good stuff. Plus it has The Cradle :D

Does anyone know if this has or will have mod tools? Been googling and can't find an answer.

Been trying to find out too, and I hope I'm wrong, but it's sounding rather unlikely. They'd have been shouting it from the rooftops if it was going to happen I think. Gotta sell that DLC... -.-

Thief 1 is one of my all time favorite games. It's got huge levels, plenty of options for how you wanna do things, and what I have to consider one of the best stealth systems ever made. The AI was also surprisingly competent despite the game's age. You should pick it up right now. Seriously. RIGHT. NOW.

DS gets criticism, but that's not because it was a bad game. The levels were a bit smaller than the other games (kinda tiny in comparison to Thief 1, but that's also because Thief 1 had some HUGE maps), there was a bit less choice in how you could do things, and all in all it's just a bit less good than the other games in the series. Still a very good game though. Get it too.

TL;DR - All original Thief games were good. I can say nothing about Thief 4 since I know nothing about it.

Is this in the context of graphical detail? Because obviously detail in that sense isn't taken away from with repetition; if anything it can be enhanced as that smaller amount of assets can be heavily polished. On the other hand, detail in the sense of presenting a convincing, lived in world full of unique details is pretty much inherently harmed when things are blatantly reused like some impressions of the Thief streams suggest. (blatantly being the keyword there).

Well, I assumed this was just another semantics argument that depended on what was meant when using "detail" in that way. That doesn't feel like the best word to use, personally. I think of detail as being solely a measure of the depth of information or complexity provided by some individual element over some unit of distance. Whether or not it's used in a way that's convincingly realistic or even satisfyingly varied seems independent of that.

I'd agree, reusing assests nowadays could imply anything from a cheap production to laziness, but then a lot of people may want a lot of repetition for thematic or artistic purposes, so I usually refrain from bitching about it unless we're talking about whole sections of level structure copied and pasted all over the place, or to a lesser extent characters that are the same body with a different head.

Thief 3 is almost certainly worth a try as well. It's a step back, mostly in terms of the level design, but since Thief1+2 set such a high standard, we're still talking about good stuff. Plus it has The Cradle :D

Thief 3 was the first of the series I've played but The Shalebridge Cradle justifies the whole game; simply because it is the first of it's kind that turns the game mechanics AGAINST you. Frictional Games entire catalog has yet to have a level that compares with it. It is THAT good.

Kinyou

Picked this up at Gamefly for $33.75 on PC. Weird it is so cheap on PC. I would have preferred to play it on my PS4, but can't beat (almost) half off.
$33.75 man, that's crazy. I'm thinking picking it up but 70€ really is a bit much... :/

SJRB

Gold Member
The price differences are pretty crazy indeed. I can get a pc code for 20 euros, and yet the cheapest PS4 version is 50 euros. Which is 15 euros below regular retailer pricing, but still.

M*A*S*H in the buy/sell/trade thread sole me a Steam PC key for $25.00. So if anyone is on the fence about it could try and contact him and see if he has anymore.

SJRB

Gold Member
Took a quick glance at another livestream, the loading times are going to be a big problem in reviews I gather. They're pretty brutal.

kudoboi

Seriously? so if i move to USA in the future, I won't even be able to play this?

3GIG1Jf.png

i don't even understand the point of this since it costs the same in USA or ROW

I´ll wait for your impressions, but I really like what I´ve seen so far. I´ve never played the previous games but the atmosphere in this one is very good, if the gameplay its as fun as it seems I´m picking this up next week.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
FYI, the reviews are coming Monday 6am PST.

so just a day before the release. a very worrisome sign (as in hiding reviews from people).

Hitman Absolution was my worst game of 2012 and Tomb Raider Reboot was my worst game of 2013. I really hope SE don't keep this for the third year in a row.

DVCY201

so just a day before the release. a very worrisome sign (as in hiding reviews from people).

Hitman Absolution was my worst game of 2012 and Tomb Raider Reboot was my worst game of 2013. I really hope SE don't keep this for the third year in a row.

Haha, but didn't the Tomb Raider embargo lift weeks in advance of the game's release? So, I'm not too sure how deeply you can read into embargo's pertaining to quality.

I really like Hitman Absolution. It's not my favorite Hitman, but I do enjoy it and keep going back to replay levels to complete different challenges. I still play it and take part in the online Contracts. I also like Tomb Raider.

Does this mean that there is a good chance I will dig Thief? We will see next week.

I hated Absolution, but if Tomb Raider was your worst game of 2013 you should consider yourself lucky.

Shingro

I guess put me down for.... cautiously optimistic?

I did love the exploration in the originals, but I wonder if that's just because having a wide open world with detail like that was somewhat rare

Interested in what people think, will probably base purchase or not off that.

forrest

formerly nacire
The more I see the more I get excited for this game. No I haven't played any of the originals, but someone mentioned the games looks like Elder Scrolls Thieves Guild quests, which I completely agree with and completely loved. If the game gives me a similar or better experience than that I'll be completely satisfied.

Also watching the 44 min video from Rev3 and seeing them disable all of the on screen HUD elements looked pretty damn awesome to me. I love it when games give you tons of options especially when they aid in immersion.

What? Tomb raider was the worst game of last year??? What was the best then

Shit. I cancelled my GMG pre-order yesterday so I got refunded the $45 I put down. But now it's at $33... what do I do?

Late embargoes usually are pretty telling but $33 is super tempting. Though to be fair it might be at $33 for a reason

Hmm I wonder how the companion app will be. The "free" one is out now and its just basically trailers, artwork, character bios, simple stuff like that. The "full" app is gonna be $3 (or free if you preordered it) and has actual links to the game. Theres a wiki, you can track what you've done in the game, maps, some decent stuff. I dunno about that price, so hopefully people that get it can give their opinion of the app.

greenfish

Banned
That video, holy shit FOV is 45 degrees on 360 or what?

I'm a PC user (thank god) but please tell me we can change FOV on the pc version. Don't like to play a tunnel vision game.

Just got my steam key from GMG, it lets you pre-download the game but you cant play it yet, but i think it will unlock its self well before the 28th feb

Top Bottom