• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

Moff

german pc magazine gamestar gave apparently 78%
the most important points:
+
good art design, atmosphere
lots of exploration
good AI
can be finished witthout a single fight

-
no thief feeling
lifeless world
no real "sandbox" levels
bad ending

Xater

+
lots of exploration
good AI

-
no thief feeling
lifeless world
no real "sandbox" levels
bad ending

I was already pretty sure that I would skip it but if reviews fall into this rating category it will be a real save skip for people like who liked the old games. Whatever it will probably be on Playstation Plus within a year anyway, jut like the other Square Enix titles.

+
lots of exploration
good AI

-
no thief feeling
lifeless world
no real "sandbox" levels
bad ending

I thought weak endings were par for the course. From what I remember about the Dark Project, the ending was a two-minute cutscene that had a sequel hook and introduction to Garrett's new eye, and little else.

Not surprised about the other things, though - I'll definitely wait until this one goes cheap before bouncing on it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mine'll be live when the embargo drops here, which for me is 1am Tuesday morning AEDT. No idea if that matches up with the rest of the world. Unless I get caught up, it'll be a video review too.

+
lots of exploration
good AI

-
no thief feeling
lifeless world
no real "sandbox" levels
bad ending

Good AI would be a big surprise after everyone going nuts watching the streams. I'm encouraged by the claim that there's lots of exploration, but I'm curious what he means by most of his cons. What's the "Thief feeling"? And the complaints of a lifeless world and lack of sandbox levels seem odd; was he expecting open-world gameplay?

Moff

I dont have the magazine, but I imagine with "sandbox", he means big non-linear levels with lots of unnessecary rooms. like the ones that made the past thief games great.

lacking those is definitely the worst thing that could happen to the franchise.

Heh was watching a stream last night while waiting for the FFXIV servers to pop and this dude was having some serious issues within a room with a bunch of movable stairs. Watched the attempt to get the stairs right for atleast 20 minutes.

Was a true visceral gameplay experience

BY2K

Membero Americo
Mine'll be live when the embargo drops here, which for me is 1am Tuesday morning AEDT. No idea if that matches up with the rest of the world. Unless I get caught up, it'll be a video review too.

That's 8AM in EST, I think, 5AM PST, so you're one hour ahead of the embargo here.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That's 8AM in EST, I think, 5AM PST, so you're one hour ahead of the embargo here.

Weird. Not going to complain, because that's our embargo. But I'm not sure if we're in daylight savings or not, and that might fill up that hour.

Vaiim

+
good art design, atmosphere <- Looks like the best thing about it
lots of exploration <- Surprising
good AI <- Surprising
can be finished witthout a single fight <- Nice!

-
no thief feeling <- :(
lifeless world <- Looks it from the streams
no real "sandbox" levels <- Hugely disappointing
bad ending <- Kinda expected!

Another Hitman Absolution by the sounds of it - a flawed game that misses the point, yet had the potential to be great :( Linear levels is such a stupid design choice given that was what made the old games fantastic.

Still some enjoyment to be found I expect though.

Moff

honestly I think it sounds much much worse than absolution.
absolution, despite all its heavy drawbacks, still brought several impovements to the franchise and had at least a handfull sandbox levels.
I dont see that here at all, I already preloaded it on steam, so I'll definitely play it on relese and wait with my verdict till then.

ironcreed

Banned
The streams was doing some experimenting. He would stand in front of a guard, push it, and the guard wouldn't react. Guard would walk by him, he knocks him out and then throws him down some stairs. When he does this, the body literally slides down sideways with no sound effects. It really looked like a game of Slip n Slide. He kept knocking guards out, tossing their bodies down the stairs, and they would just slide down.

Later on, in some secret underground bunker, the player had to solve a puzzle. He has to keep through heavy underground brick walls. He sees guards having sex. Cue horrible cheesy sex dialogue. Except that when you leave the wall, run down some stairs feet away, you can still hear the dialogue as if you were standing right in the room.

The AI was abhorrent. Dude was playing on normal and he would alert guards of his presence, run into next room, hide in closet. Guards would then enter, make a BEE line to the closet and just stare at it before moving on after a minute to check elsewhere.

It was so laughably bad, I don't think words do it justice.

Damn, sounds about like some budget game that should be no more than $20 with issues like that.

Akira83

Banned
so just a day before the release. a very worrisome sign (as in hiding reviews from people).

Hitman Absolution was my worst game of 2012 and Tomb Raider Reboot was my worst game of 2013. I really hope SE don't keep this for the third year in a row.

You must not play many games

EatChildren

I kind of expected that Thief was next gen exclusive, since when was it for 360/PS3?

It's been a cross generation game from the start. Would probably not even be on next gen systems if wasn't stuck in development hell for so long.

Hoping for the best for this game. Already have it pre-ordered.

Best case scenario, it's as strong a reboot/reimagining of Thief as Human Revolution was for Deus Ex. A great mix of new ideas and approach, with plenty of respect and core concepts carried over from the original(s).

*crossing fingers*

Ive never played Thief before, so I think even if its not a faithful reboot I will still enjoy it. Hope its liked by fans of the original though.

I wasn't expecting a game as good as the old school games, but I am hoping for at least a decent game that works in its own right.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Don't know if old, but it's been posted on the Thief dev blog just now.

Here's the full system requirements and PC features for the game:

Minimum System Requirements
CPU: High-performance dual core CPU or quad core CPU
RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 4800 series / Nvidia GTS 250
DirectX: DirectX 10
HDD/SSD: 20 GB

Recommended Specs
CPU: AMD FX 8000 series or better / Intel Quad 17 Core CPU
RAM: 4+ GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD R9 series or better / Nvidia GTX 660 series or better
DirectX: DirectX 11
HDD/SSD: 20 GB

Other PC Features

Input & UI
Full mouse & keyboard integration for the user interface with customized context bar, all buttons are clickable and can be controlled with keyboard.
Custom designed weapons bar when playing with mouse & keyboard
Extensive Customization for Graphics & Display including the following options:

Display
o Toggle fullscreen
o Vsync
o Resolution adjustment
o Refresh rate
o For 3D: Stereo separation
o For 3D: Stereo depth

Graphics
o Fov sliders
o Texture quality & Texture filtering quality
o Shadow quality
o Screenspace reflection
o Depth of field quality
o Parallax occlusion mapping aka POM
o SSAA
o FXAA
o Contact Hardening Shadows

Change text language in-game via the Audio menu
4K resolution support
Benchmark mode
Mouse & Keyboard mapping
Xbox 360 controller support
Custom Save/Load system including auto save and manual saves, similar to what we did for Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Nvidia
Surround multi monitor support
3D vision support
3D vision + Surround multi monitor support
SLi support

STEAM
Steam community & leaderboard integration
Steam achievements
Steam trading cards

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This game is being made by the same team that made Deus Ex Human Revolution which was one of my favorite games from last gen.

If Thief ends up being a game like that but takes place in the victorian era then I am all over it.

This game is being made by the same team that made Deus Ex Human Revolution which was one of my favorite games from last gen.

If Thief ends up being a game like that but takes place in the victorian era then I am all over it.

It was a different team in the studio--don't get your hopes too high about the magic transferring over.

Saw this on GameFAQs/NGG:

WAUj7Bf.png

Just like their (GS) leaked Donkey Kong score.

Don't know if old, but it's been posted on the Thief dev blog just now.

Here's the full system requirements and PC features for the game:

Sweet, this is one game I can actually try out on my ancient ass DX10 laptop lol.

Granted at lowish settings, but at least they didn't lock out DX10 machines like CAPCOM/Double Helix did with Strider which is a DX11 hardware only game. Which is bullshit when they've also got PS360 versions of that game.

Day 1 just to see how it plays.

Dion

Banned
Saw this on GameFAQs/NGG:

WAUj7Bf.png

Just like their (GS) leaked Donkey Kong score.

Tons of videos of this game on YouTube now. People really don't need reviews good or bad to decide if they want the game. Granted they are capable of making up there own mind :O

Sweet, this is one game I can actually try out on my ancient ass DX10 laptop lol.

Granted at lowish settings, but at least they didn't lock out DX10 machines like CAPCOM/Double Helix did with Strider which is a DX11 hardware only game. Which is bullshit when they've also got PS360 versions of that game.

Day 1 just to see how it plays.

Have you pm'd M*A*S*H? He sold me a Steam code for $25.00.

It's been a cross generation game from the start. Would probably not even be on next gen systems if wasn't stuck in development hell for so long.

However I remind reading an article on their forum when the game was revealed, like, 5 years ago ? (Thi4f) were a dev said it was going to be next-gen.

Valkrai

However I remind reading an article on their forum when the game was revealed, like, 5 years ago ? (Thi4f) were a dev said it was going to be next-gen.

Yeah, that's why I was surprised that there was 360/PS3 versions of the game. I thought Thief would be the first next-gen exclusive multiplat.

Vaiim

Yeah, that's why I was surprised that there was 360/PS3 versions of the game. I thought Thief would be the first next-gen exclusive multiplat.

I think they invested so much time and money into it they got cold feet and didn't want to take the risk. Which is a shame as it looks like the old gen is really holding the game back.

Angry Fork

This is basically why I'm on the verge of pre ordering right now. But I haven't pre-ordered/bought a game at launch price for years because I got burned once. Not sure if I should do it.

Valkrai

This is basically why I'm on the verge of pre ordering right now. But I haven't pre-ordered/bought a game at launch price for years because I got burned once. Not sure if I should do it.

If you're looking to get it at launch, gmg has it for about $33. No way I'm gonna get it for $50-60 since it could be dreadful.

Alpende

Why can't they just stick to the roots. I never played the Thief games but they sounded like excellent stealth games with big levels.

I wanted that from this game, but it seems like it doesn't live up to my expectations.

Are there any other stealth games planned for next gen consoles?

Valkrai

Why can't they just stick to the roots. I never played the Thief games but they sounded like excellent stealth games with big levels.

I wanted that from this game, but it seems like it doesn't live up to my expectations.

Are there any other stealth games planned for next gen consoles?

Thief is the only stealth game that's known to be coming out. Unless Splinter Cell, Deus Ex, or Dishonored comes.

EatChildren

I'm pretty sure it's not being made by the "same team" that made Human Revolution, certainly not the lead staff. Most of the Thief team is independent from Human Revolution; different director, different level design leads, and so on. This was always the intention; Eidos Monteal was marketed as a multi-team studio able to work on several projects at once. Going by the last few years, they intended to start with Deus Ex and gear up staff to work on three pojects: one working on Deus Ex 4, one working on Thief 4, and one working on a "new IP". Human Revoution took longer than expected, and so did Thief 4. If rumours are to be believed, the new IP has been shelved, the third team helping out the Thief and Deus Ex teams on their projects (as we know Deus Ex 4 is in development).

While I'm sure that parts of the Deus Ex 3 team worked on Thief simply due to the nature of production and crunch necessitating a high staff volume to get the game out, the 'core' team had little to do with it.

Top Bottom