• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thief |OT| Hide your valuables, Garrett is back in town

Angry Fork

If you're looking to get it at launch, gmg has it for about $33. No way I'm gonna get it for $50-60 since it could be dreadful.

Thanks, I think I'll get it. 33 isn't that bad even if it is disappointing. If it shares at least some of the same feeling of Deus Ex 3 or Dishonored I'll enjoy it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This game looks very Unreal Engine-y.

Havent seen a UE game look so much like a UE game since Batman.
I was surprised to learn that it was even Unreal Engine at all. I expected them to evolve the technology used in DXHR. I suppose UE is a better choice for the type of visual design they've created, though (which does look pretty Unreal, but I still like it).

Mik3F

Hoping that SimplyGames gets this out out to us early this week.

Looking forward to it although not sure if it is because of a lack of games syndrome though

Hoping it is good though

Vaiim

This game is being made by the same team that made Deus Ex Human Revolution which was one of my favorite games from last gen.

If Thief ends up being a game like that but takes place in the victorian era then I am all over it.

Unfortunately the Deus Ex team only came in at the last moment to tidy up the mess and get a finished product out, I don't think they had time to work their magic :(

The game went through development hell for ~5 years before they came along. It's the original reason behind why there's been so much negativity surrounding the game. All sorts of bad press, such as staff quitting or being replaced due to the way the game has been managed.

I can't go in depth due to embargo but I will say the game is growing on me from my first initial impressions. I hope it holds up for the remainder of the game. Granted my only prior Thief experience was 3.

I really hope the load times are minimal on PC. They don't seem unbearable on next-gen consoles, but it's more than I'd like on PC.

gribbles

Banned
I have to say, I didn't think the game was that bad at first, but it takes a massive nosedive from about Chapter 4 onwards. I mean seriously, wtf were they thinking???

SJRB

Gold Member
I have to say, I didn't think the game was that bad at first, but it takes a massive nosedive from about Chapter 4 onwards. I mean seriously, wtf were they thinking???

Are you playing or watching a livestream?

And without spoiling too much, why does it take a nosedive?

gribbles

Banned
Are you playing or watching a livestream?

And without spoiling too much, why does it take a nosedive?

The game goes pants-on-head retarded with
massive CoD-style chase scenes and explosions straight out of a Michael Bay movie. It's just comical. The worst thing is, the game doesn't even explain WHY there's massive explosions everywhere, it just happens with no prior explanation whatsoever.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Saw this on GameFAQs/NGG:

WAUj7Bf.png

Just like their (GS) leaked Donkey Kong score.

GameSpot needs to look into that, that's the second review score leak in a week.

haikira

Tons of videos of this game on YouTube now. People really don't need reviews good or bad to decide if they want the game. Granted they are capable of making up there own mind :O

I think in order to make an informed opinion of a game, you'd need to watch more than just ten minutes of it. That is, if you want to know anything more than how the basic mechanics work. I can't say I'm always in a rush to do this though, as it'll negatively impact my first run through the game and potentially ruin surprises.

It is important to make up your own mind and of course, there are plenty of gaming publications that are untrustworthy. But I can't say I agree with this attitude, that if there're gameplay videos, there's no need for reviews. We've had copious amounts of gameplay footage for upcoming games before, and have been dead wrong in guessing the quality of the game.

SJRB

Gold Member
massive CoD-style chase scenes and explosions straight out of a Michael Bay movie. It's just comical. The worst thing is, the game doesn't even explain WHY there's massive explosions everywhere, it just happens with no prior explanation whatsoever.

I saw something like this in a video earlier, it had a scripted detection after getting the main objective and you had to escape while freerunning. This game better not have scripted failstates that end up in a exposive escape every single time because that'll ruin everything.

Watching a stream yesterday, the guy was playing through a (late-game? location spoiler)
haunted asylum that was very obviously a Shalebridge Cradle homage, unfortunately this game's take on it looked very bland and boring.

Been playing back through some Thief:Deadly Shadows, I know it's the red-headed stepchild out of the first three games and it does feel cramped with too many loading screens (especially in the city between missions), but man do they absolutely nail the atmosphere and audio/music.

I'm still on this chapter but unless this happens with much more frequency further in, a 1 min sequence does not invalidate the rest of the game. There is some good atmospheric stuff in here. Also I highly recommend headphones for this game. Been using my pulse headset and its been great.

Nemesis_

Really cannot wait for this, I absolutely adored Deus Ex. I know it's not relevant at all, but I think the team at Eidos Montreal is genuinely talented and I can't wait to play their next project and even more excitingly - see what they are working on next :D

I kind of asked it before and got good responses, but just for a little clarity - I should still play Deadly Shadows? I just want to know that it's still a worthwhile play through, even if it is a bit different from Thief 2 (the only Thief I've played so far.)

Talking about all of this makes me want to go back and play through some of the Thief 2 levels, especially Life Of The Party. Man.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
PSA for Steam users: The game unlocks in several Asian countries in just under 24 hours. FlyVPN has free servers in Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam, all of which will suffice.

t1393254000z4.png

FAQ
Isn't using a VPN against the SSA?
Technically, yes, but there are no verified or even reputable reports of Valve taking action against those who use a VPN to simply redeem region-locked keys or unlock released games early; indeed, myself and many other GAFers use VPNs on the odd occasion for these very reasons and haven't encountered any trouble. Valve's issue with VPN usage lies in using it to aid in the circumvention of region-specific pricing on Steam itself.

So my account won't be restricted?
Well, I can't guarantee that Valve won't change its stance, but you'd have to be the unluckiest person in the world to be made example of considering Valve's blind eye over the past several years.

FlyVPN keeps saying the servers are full/won't connect to a server!
If the servers are full, keep trying: sessions only last 20 minutes and upon disconnection users are required to wait another 5 before reconnecting. If you receive an error message when attempting to connect to a server, try a different one as some servers appear to be having issues accepting the protocols FlyVPN uses. Also ensure that the password for the main server you've connected to hasn't changed (see the link above for log-in info).

I'm connected to the VPN. Now what?
Begin the decryption process. You can disable the VPN at this point but you will be required to connect again for the "Pre-load" button to change to "Play", so unless it'll take more than 20 minutes you might as well leave it connected. You can also kill the VPN once you're in-game; although the "Play" button will revert back to "Pre-load", you won't be booted out of the game or anything of the sort. Once you're in, you're in.

I kind of asked it before and got good responses, but just for a little clarity - I should still play Deadly Shadows? I just want to know that it's still a worthwhile play through, even if it is a bit different from Thief 2 (the only Thief I've played so far.)

Talking about all of this makes me want to go back and play through some of the Thief 2 levels, especially Life Of The Party. Man.

Totally, levels are a bit more cramped and each mission is usually broken up into 2 parts by a loading screen, but it still has some great levels.

Definitely, Deadly Shadows is a really solid game.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
First 1 hour and 45 minutes of gameplay from the Xbox One version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVy9a3dpjSY

Wow, I really dig the graphics of this. Must..resist.. ah, who am I kidding. I'm a Thief fan, who cares if this one is easier.

Edit ohmahgod they didn't include the hand-written documents? Boo!

Edit alright gonna stop at 20minutes in and just buy the damn thing. Damn you Squenix.

I wish they'd stuck with the sorta medieval-ish/clockwork technology/pagan magician mix of the earlier games. It was really unique, the Victorian aesthetic they're going for here looks like a drab version of Dishonored.

justjim89

I would really love to hear just how much of their similarities to Dishonored are intentional or not. Like, if they had this all planned from the start, then see Dishonored's announcement and first gameplay snippets, and the whole dev team just has an "Aw shit" sort of moment.

Tarahiro

I have this preordered, hopefully I will be able to go and pick it up on Friday :) (If not then definitely Saturday!)

I'm looking forward to it but I haven't played the previous games so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Hopefully it's fun :)

This is weird, but I'm actually digging the congestive/dense feel of the levels on those PS4 streams.

Yeah, I know, i'm crazy...

From what I played of the game so far. (sitting at about half way and 6 or so hours in) I think those that enjoyed Thief Deadly Shadows will find a lot to like here. Take that for what it's worth. I've got way more to play and way more to say but Monday will be when I can spill the beans.

Raven77

This is weird, but I'm actually digging the congestive/dense feel of the levels on those PS4 streams.

Yeah, I know, I'm crazy...

Gigantic levels are not always better. As long as they still over some branching paths and lots of options for discovery and gameplay the size doesn't matter.

Whether or not the game does this...I don't know.

Also, someone commented and said - "So, apparently after you beat this game, you can just free roam around the city" Is this true? Can anyone confirm if you can free roam later and what, if anything, there is to do / collect?

Kouichi

From what I played of the game so far. (sitting at about half way and 6 or so hours in) I think those that enjoyed Thief Deadly Shadows will find a lot to like here. Take that for what it's worth. I've got way more to play and way more to say but Monday will be when I can spill the beans.

Good to hear. Deadly Shadows was fantastic.

Get's my approval then.

Enjoyed the hell out of Deadly Shadows even though I never finished it. I'm also one of those weirdos who actually played it the entire time in 3rd person. Couldn't get enough of seeing Garret stalk through the different light sources.

Get's my approval then.

Enjoyed the hell out of Deadly Shadows even though I never finished it. I'm also one of those weirdos who actually played it the entire time in 3rd person. Couldn't get enough of seeing Garret stalk through the different light sources.

Yeah I wish you could go third person when you want in this new one but seems to be only during select moments.

SJRB

Gold Member
Took a gander at a livestream [can't help myself, haha] and he was in an
insane asylum. Looked through a peephole in a door and an inmate was staring right back from the other side of the door
. That was creepy as hell.

Hmm, I really enjoyed Deadly Shadows. Pretty tempted to pick this up now. What are you playing on?

And how frustrating is contextual jumping?

jem0208

Gigantic levels are not always better. As long as they still over some branching paths and lots of options for discovery and gameplay the size doesn't matter.

Whether or not the game does this...I don't know.

Also, someone commented and said - "So, apparently after you beat this game, you can just free roam around the city" Is this true? Can anyone confirm if you can free roam later and what, if anything, there is to do / collect?

If the levels are similar to Dishonored I would be happy. They were linear yet still had branching paths and were interesting to explore.

Dawg

I still think it's cool how the PS4 controller interacts with the darkness/light in the game. It's a cool little extra. It's also nice when there's a dark alleyway where enemies shouldn't be able to see you, but then there's something like for example lightning and you have to time your movement.

I'd say you do feel like a thief. Stealing collectibles, finding hidden vaults behind paintings, being able to complete the game without killing a single enemy etc. And despite the linearity, I still feel like you have some choices traversing through a level. I enjoyed trying to find all the secrets in a place while avoiding enemies. Douse candle flames, shooting water arrows at fires and transforming a bright room into darkness is fun.

Really curious what scores sites will give it tomorrow. I don't agree with the first leaked 9/10 review though. Not at all.

Dawg

PS4 and it works mostly. One or two moments where I thought I could jump and then .... NOPE lol

Had any glitches? I encountered a few, like opening a window and Garrett just being pushed inside instead of the full animation. Had a part where subs weren't synced either, but that was fixed once they changed to the next scene.

PS4 and it works mostly. One or two moments where I thought I could jump and then .... NOPE lol

Thanks. I still can't get over the decision to go with contextual jumping, but I may bite after reading your impressions.

It's also only £35 on Simplygames. Decisions, decisions...

Top Bottom