• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Think I just got "owned", wireless network related.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marsomega

Lets get one thing straight. I DISLIKE networking and everything having to do with it because I just plain suck with it comes to these things. Anyways here is the story.

Just 2 days ago I bought from buy.com one Linksys Wireless G with Speedbooster 4 port router and a Linksys Wireless G with Speedbooster pci card. Had a few problems installing however when I called the Tech, he helped me out and it was a silly problem. (Figures with me.) Anyways, the router installs perfectly and I thank the tech and hang up. I go and install the pci Wireless card on my computer and as you guessed it, no signal.

Called and this time I was forwarded to a call center in India, which I don't mind. The lady couldn't help me so she transfers me over to a senior tech. Senior Tech spoke better english and walked me through everything. The problem was still there and she asked if there was another computer I can check this at. There wasn't and she told me to exchange the router from where I got it from and that was it.

Anyways, I had a hunch and took the computer into a room across the room where the router and hardwired computer was. Booted and I got weak signal, something like 40 percent signal strength. My room is almost the same distance but I get no signal. I practically nailed the wireless router to the ceiling since it was recommended to have it as high up as possible. Still Nothing.

I live in a house and supposedly I had to take precautions against neighbors trying to leech off my wireless network. I don't see how as I can't even get a signal in my room. Ruff estimate of my room would be 30 to 34 feet a away. The second room is rough 25 to 30 feet. I just paid about 147 for all this so I could share the same dsl line (upgraded to DSL Extreme which is slightly faster then two dsl lines) so we're just spilt the bill instead of paying double. I thought the range on these things were pretty out there.

Did I just get owned? Or is the router really just a lemon?

marsomega

I wonder what Universities or freaking barnes and noble even, uses to set up hot spot.

I think I'm going to cry. Help.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Did I just get owned? Or is the router really just a lemon?

No you must be getting some really bad interference coming from somewhere. Try moving the router somewhere else and test it that way.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
I kinda hate networking too...
...but I'm pretty sure wireless routers have FAR more range than that.

Try returning it.
It could also (maybe?) be caused by interference from other electronics in your house, just a guess.

fart

Savant
an airport express is not going to help with this problem, in fact it'll get worse since the express has basically a nonexistant antenna. what you need is a bigger antenna basically.

Thaedolus

I don't know, my router has been rock solid at times and flakey at others. I updated the driver on my card and the firmware on the router and it seems to be fine now.

What would get me is I would have a great signal one minute, then no signal for a split second, then full strength again. It would be just enough to knock me off IRC or whatever I was downloading at the time. Try updating your drivers/firmware, or removing the attena cover on your card

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Unfortunatly this is the problem with wireless networking, there are many many things that can affect wireless signals that people just dont know about, firstly theres the shape of your house, signals wont necessarily travel in a straight line through walls, if theres a lot of corners signals just get lost bouncing around. Then theres metal pipes, if your room is the other side of your bathroom then chances are the metal pipes are your problem.

Cant you move the router closer to your room? Dont worry about security from your neighbours, unless you have a script kiddie living next door they wont be able to crack WEP encryption.

To be honest a weak signal isnt gonna be good enough as you wont get anywhere near 11g's transfer capacity with it. The best thing to do is get a network cable, I'd keep the wireless router because it'll still come in handy if you ever get a laptop or wanna use a wireless adapter with your PS2/Xbox etc, though you could just return it for a standard router.

Oh and LOL at that pringles can antenna, wish i had access to the stuff id need to make one.

mj1108

This subject is my major, so I get the joys of dealing with this all the time. :)

Just like Ghost said, there's many, many things that can interfere with a signal (even on the G standard). One Network Admin I know that runs a school district in the area has a WAP setup in one room and can get a signal all over the place without a problem. He setup another WAP in similar room and can't get shit for signal out of it. Just one of those odd things about wireless networking....

Also, check out where your router is located. A wireless router/access point should be located high and in a central part of the house/building if possible.

marsomega

Alright, in order for the signal to reach my room it has to go through a wall, bathroom, closet, another wall which has a mirror surface, the small closet with the central air, another closet, then my room.

Also, where the router is, there are two 2.4 Ghz phones and a portable aircondition thats mounted on the wall. (Room was added on.)

So far, I am thinking about buying one of these..

Link

I just emailed them asking them what I would need to make that work with the set up i have. I hate networking, and I hate wireless networking. Never as easy as they say it is.

fart

Savant
most likely any antenna larger than the 3" job that comes with the router you bought will work. as always ymmv though

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
marsomega said:

Your mileage may vary.

I love Dictionary.com
wub.gif

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
marsomega said:
Alright, in order for the signal to reach my room it has to go through a wall, bathroom, closet, another wall which has a mirror surface, the small closet with the central air, another closet, then my room.

Also, where the router is, there are two 2.4 Ghz phones and a portable aircondition thats mounted on the wall. (Room was added on.)

So far, I am thinking about buying one of these..

Link

I just emailed them asking them what I would need to make that work with the set up i have. I hate networking, and I hate wireless networking. Never as easy as they say it is.

Never used one of those before, let me know how it works out.

Just make sure you can return it because sometimes the way rooms are shaped and configured can simply mean they are incompatible with Wireless networking (sounds stupid but it is true).

Im not a big fan of wireless networking for desktops either, manufacturers need to make more of an effort to either solve the signal problems or give customers some idea of what could cause them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom