• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Think the gaming industry will enter an era of pandering to the Chinese market?

proandrad

Hopefully, if it means more single player games without bullshit micro transactions. China is providing what the consumer wants better than the “capitalist” west countries.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Chinese market isn’t sustainable their illusion is layered with formulas that don’t work, I’m surprised they’re still a nation.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont follow Chinese games.

But if their future big budget games resemble Wukong and Delta Force count me in.

Seems like the gamer base doesnt care for anime or DEI, which is fine by me.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
China will need to do better at this than they are, and replicate that sort of model. They are starting to tho, things like black myth, and the other big games coming in the next few years, and the three body problem are them slowly finding their feet.

I haven't seen the show or read the second/third book yet, but the first 3 body book was pretty bad. None of the characters had any personality and basically the game was the only interesting tidbit. I hear they get better but it's laughable to me to chalk that up to anything lasting culturally.

I really haven't seen black myth do anything culturally either. Yeah it's putting up decent numbers in the West and massive numbers in China, but the initial impression is it won't have a lot of long term impact. Journey to the west is amazing though and look at how many adaptions have been praised over the years.

Don't kid yourself, it has already been happening. Just like Sony removing the LGBTQ elements from Spiderman 2 for their Middle East edition, Blizzard removing skeletons from their WOW on the Chinese Servers, etc.

So we aren't entering into a new era of any thing.

MSduderino

Neo Member
DEI is antithetical to Chinese business practice and way of life, but MMOs/GaaS also seem more popular in China. The pandering could take different forms so not sure why GAF is excited by this notion.

Kacho

Gold Member
I don't think so. Certain publishers will chase China with their live service games because there's so much money on the table, but beyond that I don't see the market being that important when it comes to studios' creative choices.

I also feel pretty detached from the Wukong hype. Like yeah, it's doing well but it doesn't look like anything special. The excitement for it seems very artificial.

mdkirby

this. if what the western entertainment industry has been doing up till now can be described as 'pandering' to the west, then, yes, it will now be 'pandering' to the east. because what they will always be 'pandering' to is where the profit is to be found...
Exactly.
I know someone who went from a Capital R "America First" republican to a "The CCP is just misunderstood" sympathizer because of Tiktok and Chinese dramas.

They probably need to just stay the course.
i mean they ain’t wrong, the CCP uses TikTok as a very effective propaganda tool…just as the U.S. use their platforms to be fair. Obviously China are very aware of that risk to their own people and thus block fb etc… our “freedom of speech”, whilst a great freedom, leaves us incredibly vulnerable in an era of big data, ai and social media, and it means we don’t block their tools like TikTok, or their use of our own via mass psyops by China/russia etc operated through Twitter/facebook.

We’re straying into politics now tho, so I’ll leave it at that 🤣

MarV0

Neo Member
Hollywood has been trying for past decade and failing.

The Chinese market don't want ideology shoved in their face. They just want good entertainment.
Everybody loves ideology shoved in their face but it has to be the right kind.

Ribi

You might want to Google who owns tencent.... And where they're involved.... And also are mobile games a joke to you?

mdkirby

I haven't seen the show or read the second/third book yet, but the first 3 body book was pretty bad. None of the characters had any personality and basically the game was the only interesting tidbit. I hear they get better but it's laughable to me to chalk that up to anything lasting culturally.

I really haven't seen black myth do anything culturally either. Yeah it's putting up decent numbers in the West and massive numbers in China, but the initial impression is it won't have a lot of long term impact. Journey to the west is amazing though and look at how many adaptions have been praised over the years.
It’s baby steps. They are finding their feet but very early. The only countries that have really done a great job of cultural export via entertainment (by that I mean visual entertainment) are US/Uk and Japan. Even then Japan is far behind the U.S. in that regard. But it’s 100% something China will need to master to play king of the castle, and I expect they’ll be throwing a lot of money at it in the coming years. For gamers, this will include bigger domestic investments in games studios, but also continued expansion and investment in the west via tencent etc.

Banjo64

cumsessed
No. I think China and Japan are set to overtake the West in cultural soft power over the next 10 years (it’s already happening but in 10 years they will be clear by every metric). Hollywood is dead as is the UK film and music industry. The East is providing what the people want (realism).

IAmRei

I'm thinking the same, its like targeted to be that way for me. I dont like it at all, i think never be. I guess i will stay with japan more. Maybe return to western games once they are better than these years, which is very rarely interest me.

I never play chinese games or recent korean games, and will never touch them.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
dwQyZ9H.gif

imagine SBI trying to desing "authentic" characters and narratives for a Chinese audience

Cyberpunkd

The world will. As Americas empire ends, and chinas transition to the top is completed, they’ll be the primary market the world will appeal to, and will be the primary cultural exporters and financiers of western content.

A big part of Americas meteoric rise was the creation of Hollywood, which was an important tool in the U.S. exporting their ideology and culture, and projecting soft power during the last century. China will need to do better at this than they are, and replicate that sort of model. They are starting to tho, things like black myth, and the other big games coming in the next few years, and the three body problem are them slowly finding their feet.
Chinese culture will not be exported the same way American was.

StueyDuck

It's gonna happen and sadly the same people who got caught with their pants down about the modern audiences message in games are going to be the same people who get caught with the CCP censorship and messaging

Woopah

It's growing gaming market that both Western and Eastern companies will try and get good sales from, but that doesn't require them to pander.

Kotaro

The trend is clear, Asian games prosper, Western games are failing.

If Western devs still can’t read the room and change course, they will become irrelevant

This statement is rather superficial.

If by pandering, they mean to replicate the the level of success of Wukong, it won't work. Black Myth is a special case, it is the first proper high quality AAA game from China for two decades, and Journey to the West is like culture DNA in every Chinese - even many people who are never gamers and wanting to check the game out has no barrier to enter.

That being said, even without Wukong, Chinese has been the largest user base on Steam and are consistently the second by a huge margin. The buying power has been significant. For many best-selling blockbusters, China already contributed huge, e.g. Elden Ring.

If the gaming industry really want to attract the Chinese market, they answer couldn't be simpler- just keep making great games, and folks will buy it.Make quality games that everyone buys, then Chinese is no exception either.

And don't ever think of pandering CPP, cause the government gives no fuck about gaming at all. In fact, remember not long ago, many still deem game as "electronic opium".

Just want to signal boost this post.

This is the truth.

The CCP want to ban gaming and get rid of it entirely. It views anything that it perceives to negatively impact male productivity as a time-waster.

As this poster says above. Making great games is all that's required to find a sizeable audience in China. Less of the BS far left western politics and a greater focus on making games entertaining first and foremost.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Would rather they pander to making great games at a reasonable price made for "traditional audiences".

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Definitely. It is a twofer. Add a quick scene in China or have some Chinese star voice a Chinese character and you get extra Chinese sales and you get diversity points.

Senhua

The world will. As Americas empire ends, and chinas transition to the top is completed, they’ll be the primary market the world will appeal to, and will be the primary cultural exporters and financiers of western content.

A big part of Americas meteoric rise was the creation of Hollywood, which was an important tool in the U.S. exporting their ideology and culture, and projecting soft power during the last century. China will need to do better at this than they are, and replicate that sort of model. They are starting to tho, things like black myth, and the other big games coming in the next few years, and the three body problem are them slowly finding their feet.
Not so soon though, maybe in the next 25-50 years.
America still hold their 2 biggest soft power influence in the world

799px-US_one_dollar_bill%2C_obverse%2C_series_2009.jpg

and
English language through their MSM proganda
slide_3%202.jpg

This site as an example: 99% of Americans here surely think China still like dictator totalitarian state like Soviet in 80 for sure.

Top Bottom