• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THOR: God of Thunder |OT| of 2D Sprite-Based Dual-Screened Superiority

Thor-God-of-Thunder-DS-1.jpg

THE OFFICIAL THREAD OF THE DEFINITIVE VERSION.

THOR: God of Thunder for the Nintendo DS is a 2D sprite based action adventure for that guides you through a rough approximation of the new Marvel movie's story. Use various thunder, lighting and wind-based elemental powers to dominate both screens of the Nintendo DS and clear it of enemies!

It's a linear adventure where you will face off against towering gigantic bosses that will make your handheld device tremble with the sheer power of their awesome sprites! But don't worry, as you can use the full power of Captain Kirk's dad to defeat them and the evil Loki!

Developer: WayForward (The same developer that brought you awesome)
Publisher: Sega (The same publisher that brought us Iron Man and Iron Man 2)
Release Date: May 3rd (NA) April 29th (PAL)
Platforms: THE NINTENDO DS, x360, ps3, wii.

2w56kas.jpg

MEDIA:

Thor_DS.jpg

Thor-God-of-Thunder-DS-2.jpg

Thor-DS-Wayforward.jpg

CHARACTERS:

qzr98o.jpg

PREVIEWS:

IGN

Gamespot Video Preview

REVIEWS:

IGN DS - 8.0

NATALIE PORTMAN:

Natalie_Portman.jpg

Here is a video walkthrough of the PS3/360 version:

Watch, if you want.

Anyone taking the dive on the console version? Thinking about renting it out of curiosity, but don't know if it's Iron Man 2-bad or Wolverine: Origins level of playability.

ThingontheFloor said:
Anyone taking the dive on the console version? Thinking about renting it out of curiosity, but don't know if it's Iron Man 2-bad or Wolverine: Origins level of playability.

The 360/PS3 version is by Liquid Entertainment, who's last game was Rise of the Argonauts.

The Wii version is by Red Fly entertainment, who made Mushroom Men and Ghostbusters Wii.

If you have a Wii, I'd say go for that one.

RobbieNick

I purchased the DS version yesterday and played it through my breaks at work.

It's awesome. WayForward does a terrific job with the animation and Thor has enough variety of fighting moves to keep the constant fighting from getting too monotonous.

The game's details shine even on the 3DS. I was worried that it would fuzz up the game to much, but instead it just smooths it out and keeps it from looking pixelated. The close attention to detail is amazing. Sometimes when I'm fighting, there will be rain pouring down on the screen. Thor's hammer will knock the rain away from him as he's fighting! I can't believe they'd put that kind of detail in.

Anyway, it's a great superhero game and well recommended.

SmithnCo

Is WayForward also doing the 3DS version of the game (which last I heard, would release around the time of the movie's DVD/Blu-Ray release)? If so I might hold out for that one.

syoaran

Totobeni said:
You know SEGA just as the publisher of Iron Man ?

You are aware that in this context that means they oversee, produce and QA the title for release right? It's not a hands-off approach. They got the investment from Marvel and run the entire project.

SmithnCo said:
Is WayForward also doing the 3DS version of the game (which last I heard, would release around the time of the movie's DVD/Blu-Ray release)? If so I might hold out for that one.
I was also wondering about that 3DS version. Where is it? Is it the DS version with added 3D effects? Or is the the Wii version?

Natalie Portman, yum.

*ahem*

Wayforward and their superior 2D pixel art draw me to this title, but I am wary of its quality.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
syoaran said:
You are aware that in this context that means they oversee, produce and QA the title for release right? It's not a hands-off approach. They got the investment from Marvel and run the entire project.

No I meant why he labeled SEGA as just the publisher of Iron Man ( of all their other games including other Marvel stuff like The Incredible Hulk 2008)
( The same publisher that brought us Iron Man and Iron Man 2 )

So I was wonder/asking if he did that as a joke or Iron Man 1 and 2 are the only SEGA published games he knew of or something.

Yes, I was joking about Sega.

WayForward is awesome, and is the only shinning light among all the terrible decisions and sloppy games Sega has brought/bringing us with Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, and the console versions of Thor.

syoaran

Totobeni said:
No I meant why he labeled SEGA as just the publisher of Iron Man ( of all their other games including other Marvel stuff like The Incredible Hulk 2008)

So I was wonder/asking if he did that as a joke or Iron Man 1 and 2 are the only SEGA published games he knew of or something.

Ah ok! Yeah as far as I'm aware they published all the Marvel games of the current movie IP's. But it was a joke ~

mjc

The repetitive gameplay kinda scares me..but it certainly looks interesting otherwise. I'll check it out at some point.

wrowa

I clicked on this thread by accident.

And stayed for WayForward's sprite goodness.

This looks definitely decent and interesting. Might check it out sometime.

Captain N

I've got this and it is worth the money! Even if they do end up doing thr 3DS version this is worth getting if you ask me.

FoneBone

Notorious_Roy said:
I was also wondering about that 3DS version. Where is it? Is it the DS version with added 3D effects? Or is the the Wii version?
The 3DS version is due out alongside the DVD/Blu-Ray release in the fall. It's probably based off the cancelled PSP version.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Contra Thor makes me happy. It needs some Thunderstrike though, I or MC2

Top Bottom