• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tick bite causes meat allergy G/A/F... yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

The study you quoted has been circulated around the Internet for years, and many people have written about why you cannot draw such a conclusion. It's a statistic, that's it.

'LOL didn't read' is all I'm getting from this post. Here's a tip: It talks about more than one study.

But I do love the confidence with which you have approached this :)

linsivvi

'LOL didn't read' is all I'm getting from this post. Here's a tip: It talks about more than one study.

But I do love the confidence with which you have approached this :)

So how about you read the hundreds of articles written about why it's not scientific and does not prove a single thing?

An example:

http://qz.com/91123/vegetarians-live-longer-but-its-not-because-they-dont-eat-meat/

Written by a Oxford scholar and a vegetarian himself, referencing round two of that Adventist study. Don't make assumptions that people haven't read that bullshit before.

Dead Man

So how about you read the hundreds of articles written about why it's not scientific and does not prove a single thing?

An example:

http://qz.com/91123/vegetarians-live-longer-but-its-not-because-they-dont-eat-meat/

Written by a Oxford scholar and a vegetarian himself, referencing round two of that Adventist study. Don't make assumptions that people haven't read that bullshit before.

No really, you do realise they are talking about more than the Adventist study, right? Do you know what a metastudy is?

Edit: It's late here, I'm off to bed. Enjoy.

linsivvi

No really, you do realise they are talking about more than the Adventist study, right? Do you know what a metastudy is?

Yeah they are all the same statistical studies that does not provide anything but statistics. The same logical fallacy of correlation does not imply causation. I am eager waiting for your scientific prove .

This is your thread and you can always come back tomorrow if you have a point to make. It also doesn't change that fact that you made the assumption that I haven't read that entry, when I've seen all those studies being quoted over and over again.

While we're at it, this is a very well written (and long) article by the late Dr Stephen Byrnes:
http://www.westonaprice.org/vegetarianism-and-plant-foods/myths-of-vegetarianism

But... the wiki chapter you linked even states that the metastudy doesn't show a benefit from a vegetarian diet. In fact, they say it's more likely because of other lifestyle choices of their sample group (like, less smokers etc.).

I'm not seeing the connection between the original introduction of alpha-gal into the body (from a non-human mammal via a tick vector)--which the article says that humans are allergic to--and the development of a meat allergy later on down the line. I also do not know how alpha-gal is formed, and if the human body has a mechanism to prevent its formation. Would be interesting to read the scientific paper.

Dead Man

Yeah they are all the same statistical studies that does not provide anything but statistics. The same logical fallacy of correlation does not imply causation. I am eager waiting for your scientific prove .

This is your thread and you can always come back tomorrow if you have a point to make. It also doesn't change that fact that you made the assumption that I haven't read that entry, when I've seen all those studies being quoted over and over again.

While we're at it, this is a very well written (and long) article by the late Dr Stephen Byrnes:
http://www.westonaprice.org/vegetarianism-and-plant-foods/myths-of-vegetarianism

My point was fuck getting bitten by this fucking tick.

Edit: And I fucking know that correlation doesn't equal causation. That is not a criticism when they are all obviously correlational studies. With you using that as a universal rule, half of human knowledge is thrown out. Of course correlation doesn't equal causation.

You are getting pissy about a statistical claim being backed by statistics.

But... the wiki chapter you linked even states that the metastudy doesn't show a benefit from a vegetarian diet. In fact, they say it's more likely because of other lifestyle choices of their sample group (like, less smokers etc.).

Well I must be a moron then, because I didn't get that that was the only result that mattered. I'll have to re read it when I'm awake. Cheers.

linsivvi

You are getting pissy about a statistical claim being backed by statistics.

And you are getting pissy by making the assumption that I haven't come across those studies before, when in fact I've done extensive research on the topic a while ago.

So we're even.

Metra

I'm not seeing the connection between the original introduction of alpha-gal into the body (from a non-human mammal via a tick vector)--which the article says that humans are allergic to--and the development of a meat allergy later on down the line. I also do not know how alpha-gal is formed, and if the human body has a mechanism to prevent its formation. Would be interesting to read the scientific paper.

Alpha-gal is a carbohydrate, present in the cells of some mammals (but not in humans). It's also present in the intestinal tract of some ticks species (like Amblyomma americanum). Getting bitten several times (more than 50) by such ticks will increase total IgE and alpha-gal-specific IgE levels. Thus, an IgE-mediated allergy (with a cross-reactivity pattern) to some meats, may affect sensitized people.

But there are very few studies regarding that matter so, what I said above, is not "set in stone".

It would be nice if everyone in the world went vegetarian.

Where would you get your protein from? I'm okay if I got it from supplements, but those are from animal sources as well. Beans and pasta don't have enough, one would have to eat lots of carbs along to fill their protein intake.

Alpha-gal is a carbohydrate, present in the cells of some mammals (but not in humans). It's also present in the intestinal tract of some ticks species (like Amblyomma americanum). Getting bitten several times (more than 50) by such ticks will increase total IgE and alpha-gal-specific IgE levels. Thus, an IgE-mediated allergy (with a cross-reactivity pattern) to some meats, may affect sensitized people.

But there are very few studies regarding that matter so, what I said above, is not "set in stone".

ah, well then I know what I would continue to eat...
(fulfilling German cliche)

I heard about a small spider that does this same thing ...

Seems like a fate worse than most. Good thing you can still eat birds and fish ...

Eusis

Stuck to fish and chicken? That'd be fine to me, the bigger issue is the possibility of DYING from a slip up, like eating Jello, gummy bears, marshmallows, or whatever because they have gelatin in them.

"Come to Australia, if our bugs don't kill you they'll sure as hell make you wish you were dead"
allergic to meat, wow, I can't even imagine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom