• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TIL - AMD is over twice the size of Intel

marjo

In my mind, I always thought of AMD as being smaller than Intel, but, at least in terms of market cap, that's not true at all.

As of the time of this post:

Intel market cap: 95.14B
AMD market cap: 236.64B

Weird how a company that came to prominence making Intel clones is now so much bigger.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
In my mind, I always thought of AMD as being smaller than Intel, but, at least in terms of market cap, that's not true at all.

Weird how a company that came to prominence making Intel clones is now so much bigger.
Market capitalisation is mostly BS… well it is a thing but it fluctuates with stock price very wildly and what the market essentially feels. Is Intel worth $95.14 Billion while MS is worth $3000 Billion? Really? What does it mean?

Intel’s stock has been on a downward spiral for a lot of months now while AMD has been making steps upwards. While CPUs are importantly, it is the age of GPUs and AI/ML training acceleration HW (inference and training)…

nVIDIA is still trumping both Intel and AMD, but AMD has been slowly and steadily growing up a very very diverse and powerful portfolio while Intel has taken lots of expensive stumbles and they still are mostly behind on everything but their core.

Great Mobile friendly SoCs? ✅
Great Desktop and Server CPUs? ✅
Good to Great GPUs for gaming and compute (separate optimised families RDNA and CDNA)? ✅
Solid FPGAs? ✅
AI/ML acceleration (XDNA)? ✅
Solid/Strong reputation in the semi-custom design and manufacturing business (Xbox designs, PS designs, SteamDeck SoC, etc…)? ✅

They are not badly positioned.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I guess AMD got a boost by being in consumer products like all of the gaming consoles. I'm pretty sure their tech is used in a bunch of cheap Android devices as well, which are huge overseas.

Hudo

It certainly helps that their CPUs (Both server and desktop) are actually good and not too expensive. And, believe it or not, their FPGA offering is pretty solid, too.

Bashtee

Intel still can't win on the AI front, where AMD and NVIDIA print money. AMD made significant gains in data centers, where they offer cheaper CPUs that perform on the same level or better than Intel. The same is true for GPUs. The Instinct lineup is competing with NVIDIA, while Gaudi seems to be vaporware.
I guess AMD got a boost by being in consumer products like all of the gaming consoles. I'm pretty sure their tech is used in a bunch of cheap Android devices as well, which are huge overseas.
Consumer products kept them afloat for a long time until Ryzen took off, yes.

winjer

Gold Member

Intel Likely To Get Booted From The Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) Owing To The Stock’s ~60 Percent Loss This Year

These days, it is fairly simple to predict Intel's stock price trajectory: the stock is down on an otherwise up day, and it is down on a generally red day. This chronic underperformance, which has seen Intel shares sink around 60 percent so far this year, is now likely to deprive the stock from a key source of passive inflows: the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) index.

To wit, Reuters is now reporting that Intel is likely to get booted off the Dow Jones index. Bear in mind that the DJIA rebalances quarterly, when stocks are added or removed systematically from the market cap-weighed index based on an extensive criteria.

x1mnfV7.png

notseqi

Took them long enough even to just catch up but by god, am I happy they did it.
Lets just hope they wont dick around with the excess money they make to cement their status like Intel did, but rather stay ahead because they are better.

Interested to see how their server CPUs do, they have been dunking on Xeons for a while.
Got first spot atm but building a supercomputer takes a while, same as ordering parts do: https://top500.org/lists/top500/2024/06/

Last edited:
Top Bottom