• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Duncan announces retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynedom

Probably the greatest PF of all time. Ridiculous longevity but I guess you gotta hang it up eventually. :(

One of the greatest legacies in the game. Holy shit.

Great player, but I never liked it.

I am worried about Kawhi's fantasy numbers now. Does so much better when Duncan is on the floor.

Old Man Riverwalk takes a bow huh?

When I was 6, my mom told me he was from the US VI like me, and I followed him from then. I watched in awe as he grew in experience and skill.

My childhood hero. Simple, quiet, effective, dedicated.

Later Timmy.

TheMan

I'm not an nba aficionado but he always seemed like a reliable, consistent, non-flashy kind of player who had complete mastery of the fundamentals. Also, for some reason I thought he started playing in the early 90s, like 92.

KingBroly

Banned
One of the players I respected the most. Almost always delivered, never whined like big stars of today, stayed in one city in his entire career. Was the centerpiece of a Dynasty in San Antonio.

Dude was the greatest PF to play the game. Consistently effective for nearly 20 years. Seriously would have 7 or 8 rings if it wasn't for those Lakers teams. It's really amazing to have gotten to see a player of his caliber excel without being anywhere near as athletic as his peers. A fitting farewell for the Big Fundamental.

Fuck, i became a Spurs fan when Mario Ellie went there (He played here in Portugal in a team close to where i live) but after that it was all about Timmy.

:(

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This is really sad, but understandable. He's not only a fantastic player, he's also a wonderful person. I'm so glad I got the chance to see him playing live when I traveled to the US last year. Watching him play (which I didn't do often, to be honest) was always a pleasure.

nasax

I've been a Spurs fan for 20+ years now and I remember in 97 the Spurs getting the number one pick after that horrid season. I jumped up and down in joy because I knew the Spurs were going to get a great player even though I didn't know much about college basketball. He's the first player I've followed from start to finish and the ride was great. I feel extremely sad this day has come and it feels surreal. Man what a legend and he'll always be the face of our franchise.

And he's had a bum knee for ten plus years and the other one started to give him shit last year. His body finally broke down. :(

End of an era. Best PF ever and one of the all-time greatest players, period. The guy is a living legend of the game.

Enjoy retirement!

as a mavs fan, I absolutely loved watching duncan. One of the best in state rivalries I can think of (even if the spurs got the better end of it like 99% of the time)

Phenomenal player. I won't miss us having to play him but I'll miss watching him play.

TRios Zen

As a Spurs fan, I've known for a few years this day is coming.

Now its here, and I don't want to believe it. Will be so strange next year to be at the games and him NOT be there. Man I miss him already.

Wow, end of an era; he will be missed, especially by Spurs fans.

I always enjoyed his off court antics the most, but watching him play was a great experience; he was just so consistent.

Greatest power forward ever. I hope he stays on with the Spurs in their front office. My favorite memory of the Spurs was the Twin Towers days with Duncan and David Robinson.

Line_HTX

It was always frustrating to see Duncan play against the Rockets, but in the end you cannot ask for a better Power Forward than him.

Thank you, Tim. First ballot HOF without question.

GOAT troll face

howarddealwithit.gif

201304262356861961886-p2.jpg

Greatest of all time, ended with 5 should have had at least 6 or 7 (Im nitpicking).

He will be missed, i hope to see him in the coaching staff with Pop.

mnannola

Tim Duncan is a fucking legend. He was one of the primary reasons that the Spurs were a different organization. They were the complete opposite of the early 2000 Lakers and later in the decade the Celtics, Lakers and Heat. The beat teams with sound fundamental basketball, and by not making mistakes. He changed the game, and changed how players and teams approach winning in the NBA.

I could tell watching their last game in the playoffs that Duncan was thinking it could be his last ever. His body was broken down but he still tried to will the Spurs to a win. 19 points with two bad knees facing off against a team of huge athletic freaks.

Tim Duncan 19 Pts - Full Highlights | Spurs vs Thunder | Game 6

Kwhit10

Greatest power forward with a dehumanizing laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2SYIrUnf5Y

Lesser players only get terrible calls for laughing. Tim got an ejection for a laugh. I heard it from a 1000 miles away. Shook me to the core.

I didnt even have to read your post to know what this video was. I'll always remember that game for a gambling loss most likely due to that whole Joey Crawford shit.

Duncan was the epitome of consistent excellence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom