• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Duncan announces retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolute legend. He was a big reason why the Western conference has been so dominant the last two decades. The other WC teams had their natural rise and fall cycles but you could always count on the Spurs to be a show of strength for the West every year.

So does this officially end the link with the ‘90s era with Timmy and Kobe gone?

KG is still kicking (barely), and Vince.

zerosum

Damn, even though this was inevitable, it still stings now that it's finally here.

Twin Towers, got The Admiral his ring, then continued to be a dominating class act for many years with the same team... The NBA is a lesser sport without Timmy.

gimmmick

As a laker fan, I'll go out on a limb and say Duncan will be better remembered than Kobe as the years go by. It will be up to debate which team was more dominate during the 00s, but without a shadow of a doubt Duncan had the better overall career. Not the flashliest player on the court , but a real stand up guy and I was very fortunate to watch all his career. Not sure if the NBA will be able to pump out the same amount of talent we have is in the 20 - 30 years, but one thing is for damn sure... It sure will not be the same watching basketball games without Kobe and Duncan now :(

Best PF of all time. Even if Malone did win a ring with the lakers in 03, the overall body of work Duncan put in will be untouchable for the fore see able future.

As a laker fan, I'll go out on a limb and say Duncan will be better remembered than Kobe as the years go by. It will be up to debate which team was more dominate during the 00s, but without a shadow of a doubt Duncan had the better overall career. Not the flashliest player on the court , but a real stand up guy and I was very fortunate to watch all his career. Not sure if the NBA will be able to pump out the same amount of talent we have is in the 20 - 30 years, but one thing is for damn sure... It sure will not be the same watching basketball games without Kobe and Duncan now :(

Best PF of all time. Even if Malone did win a ring with the lakers in 03, the overall body of work Duncan put in will be untouchable for the fore see able future.

Better player than Kobe. I think Kobe will be better remembered because he had a flashier, more drama filled career and was far more divisive. But Duncan was the better overall player and an easier guy to build a contender around.

Tim Duncan is that blindfolded martial arts master. The one who knows all, sees all without paying attention. You see all this footage of him, 1000-yard stare and all, being all the right places at all the right times. Rarely hustling; he was where he needed to be.

My favorite of this was one playoff game a couple years back as he inbounds and slowly riverwalks up the court, being left behind by the other 9. You get this pass around of the other 4 Spurs for about 4 or 5 seconds and then Duncan jogs riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight into the defender for a perfect pick-and-roll 3.

You can't teach that.

I still remember Boston wanting him so bad, they thought NBA rigged it ala Ewing to the Knicks, was hilarious hearing all the conspiracy theories

Him and David Robinson Twin Towers was no joke, got The Admiral his ring at least

Much Respect, always team play before ego
Amazing him and Kobe are gone, they are like the last players who will have that loyalty of playing for only one team

Crazy how players shift around now, soon staying with one team will be a unicorn scenario

The moment which is weird that will stick with me about him is he got ejected from the fucking game for laughing on the bench...
For fucking laughing...

Still one of the funniest NBA events in history. Even the Dallas crowd is like "seriously? You're going to do this, ref?"

I think he has a couple more in his contract.

I want Timmy on the coaching staff.

I wanna see him in the broadcast or studio gigs with long-form breakdowns that go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up there into the metagame.

edit:

Tim's legacy will be the thirty five Onion articles written about him: http://www.theonion.com/search?q=Tim+Duncan

"Tim Duncan Offers Legal Advice To Wife’s Divorce Lawyer"

omfg

Damn, I wish he would have announced this before the season so I could have watched him play live, but alas this is a very Tim Duncan move. Absolute legend though, will be sorely missed around the league.

Better player than Kobe. I think Kobe will be better remembered because he had a flashier, more drama filled career and was far more divisive. But Duncan was the better overall player and an easier guy to build a contender around.

Nope. Flash will be forgotten in time. For years people argued who was the greatest player to ever play for the Lakers: Kobe, Magic or Shaq. Meanwhile nobody mentioned Kareem. If you look at the top players ever lists today, pretty much everyone has Kareem at either 1 or 2. And rightfully so. Duncan is the best player of his era and it's not even close. The longer we get from his retirement, the more people will realise that. Just like with Kareem.

hoos30

Good job, big guy. It was an honor to have played against him at Wake.

Go directly to the Hall of Fame... Do not pass go.

the chris

One of my favorite images of Tim Duncan:

D0tlWd5.gif

I was really hoping he would wait to retire till next year, mainly because I'm moving back to San Antonio and wanted to see him play live at least one more time.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Anybody remember when Timmy got thrown out of a game cuz when was laughing too much....yea, that was as bad as it got lol.

And that backboard... that shot off the glass was the best i've ever seen.

Nope. Flash will be forgotten in time. For years people argued who was the greatest player to ever play for the Lakers: Kobe, Magic or Shaq. Meanwhile nobody mentioned Kareem. If you look at the top players ever lists today, pretty much everyone has Kareem at either 1 or 2. And rightfully so. Duncan is the best player of his era and it's not even close. The longer we get from his retirement, the more people will realise that. Just like with Kareem.

You make the point for me. If you think your average fan remembers Kareem over Magic, Michael or Larry you are delusional.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
One of my favorite images of Tim Duncan:

D0tlWd5.gif

I was really hoping he would wait to retire till next year, mainly because I'm moving back to San Antonio and wanted to see him play live at least one more time.
Manu, what are you doing? You rascal!

J2 Cool

Its that 5th title that puts Duncan over the top of Kobe, and so spread apart in years. Just greatness, an amazing contributor.

Also, amazing that his career dipped to 13ppg in 2011 or so, spelling the end, only to rise in 2012 and 2013, to 15.5 and 18. You never see that arc with pf/c's.

To properly put his ranking in perspective though, if I go to peak Duncan, I was still entirely terrified of Shaq. I don't think he had a higher peak, but man he was as close as you got. I guess Timmy slots slightly just above Shaq and Kobe overall, but Shaq burned brightest. Kobe with distance, I see his fuckups more. In the moment, I always assumed he was in control though. So much impact on the NBA those 3.

Top five ever, and a genuinely good person on and off the court. Got his autograph after a game in Milwaukee a decade ago and he remarked how nice it was to have met me. Probably said it just to say it, but it meant a lot to me at the time.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I can't quite put him in my top five all-time, but he's definitely like top 2 at his position. Farewell Timmy. I wouldn't want to lace 'em up against Golden State either.

Two Words

Ten years ago, I used to think "man, I'm gonna have to wait for Tim Duncan to retire for the Mavs to consistently win the Southwest division."

I don't think I'm gonna get my wish.

theWB27

Cmon...Jordan was flashy and so was magic. They'll never be forgotten. Kobe will not be forgotten because he'll always be linked with mj along with his (kobe)own accomplishments.

Marz

Its that 5th title that puts Duncan over the top of Kobe, and so spread apart in years. Just greatness, an amazing contributor.

Also, amazing that his career dipped to 13ppg in 2011 or so, spelling the end, only to rise in 2012 and 2013, to 15.5 and 18. You never see that arc with pf/c's.

To properly put his ranking in perspective though, if I go to peak Duncan, I was still entirely terrified of Shaq. I don't think he had a higher peak, but man he was as close as you got. I guess Timmy slots slightly just above Shaq and Kobe overall, but Shaq burned brightest. Kobe with distance, I see his fuckups more. In the moment, I always assumed he was in control though. So much impact on the NBA those 3.

Uh let's get some perspective here please. Shaq had Jordan in the league for the first 5 years of his career.

Redd

My memory may be wrong but Karl Malone didn't get a ring with the Lakers or any team. His teammate that year Gary Payton who was ring hunting too that year got his though in Miami later down the road. I believe Karl Malones run with the Lakers ended in them losing to the Pistons in the championship.

As stacked as the Lakers were it was amazing they didn't win that year.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

He took the Spurs to 5 chips, 6 appearances, and 19 straight playoff appearances(Every single one as a contender). That's damn good work that almost no one can touch. It's going end up speaking for itself in the long run. As you said, he was never flashy, but probably the most fundamentally solid player in the league.

Shaq has been hit with a lot of post retirement criticism, knocking him down and even Kobe is taking a beating. Duncan will age like wine with critics looking back.

Only real shame is how poor the Western Conference is going to be next year. OKC losing KD and SAS losing TD. Where the only team improving is GSW, who are just doubling down on an already amazingly successful team.

demigod

With Timmy gone, i'm pretty much done watching the NBA. No point in watching when we know who will win next year.

random25

Flashy and controversial players get remembered better, sadly. And playing for the Lakers before the social media explosion kinda put Kobe on Hollywood status for years to come. But Timmy will always get the kinder treatment down the road as there's really no holes in his career. Best player in Spurs history, best PF ever, 2-time season MVP, 3-time Finals MVP, 5-time champion, only missed one playoffs in his 19-year career among other things. That's one of the best careers not just in basketball, but in all pro sports.

h1nch

Some great quotes from Pop on Timmy from today's presser

https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/752971260074668032
Pop says 1 thing #Spurs will miss w/Tim gone: "The aura that he creates, the iconic figure that he established for us all those years."

https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/752965149758074880
Pop called Duncan, "The most real, consistent, true person I have ever met in my life. He was so genuine, it blows your mind." #Spurs

https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/752965040320356352
Pop choked up while saying that Duncan would be the 1 person he would like to have dinner with, not "Mother Teresa, Jesus or Dalai Lama."

https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/752962263766577154
Pop on wearing Duncan T-shirt: " He makes me wear these clothes…He gives me my paychecks, He might as well give me his clothes." #Spurs

CnMJ2BNXgAEEjZT.jpg

Tim Duncan is the true Basketball Jesus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom