• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Duncan announces retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still mad the Celtics missed out drafting him...

Amazing player, amazing legacy!

stn

WHAT!! Totally out of nowhere. One of my favorite players ever, such a class act on and off the court. Man, I`ll never look at the Spurs the same way again.

Cipherr

GOAT troll face

howarddealwithit.gif

201304262356861961886-p2.jpg

LOL. Man that season was a nightmare for Dwight.

Timmy gonna be missed, the guy was fantastic.

Exodust

Banned
Dude probably has the most impressive career of all the last generation of basketball greats. Absolute legend and among the GOATs for sure.

Rest up, big guy.

When I was a young impressionable sports fan and my Chicago Bulls hit the dumpster after the 6th title, I put up a Tim Duncan poster on my wall. Loved that guy. What a career.

correojon

I was hoping he would play this year, would've loved to see him with Gasol :(

Duncan is a legend, possibly the player I respect most of all the NBA. He should be an example for everyone who lays a foot in a NBA court.

ampere

A true basketball legend. Sorry to see him go, but he can't play at a high enough level anymore due to his age

/salute

DirtyLarry

Always had huge respect for my mans game and even more important, his personality. Quiet, reserved and spoke with his play.
Class act no doubt.
And I can say this even though his team handily defeated my Knicks in 5 in the 99 Finals.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I didn't really have a NBA team growing up in the 80s as my family mainly followed football and baseball, so I mainly just watched the national broadcasts at the time. As a Navy brat, I eventually started following the Spurs after they drafted Robinson due to the Navy connection and they became my team.

I still can't believe the luck of landing Duncan, which would never have happened without Robinson getting hurt (twice!) the season before. Really glad he helped secure a trophy for the Admiral, who was never truly the same after the injuries.

The Triple Towers of Robinson, Duncan, Perdue, that first championship post-lockout, all those classic playoff matchups against the Lakers, all the other titles he helped bring in. So many memories!

Thanks again for all those years Big Fundamental!

Cimarron

I am still salty that Boston never got him as a draft pick. Truly one of the most underated players of his time. Better than Kobe. Yeah I said it. Fite me!

I saw him play live in the NCAA tourney when he was at Wake Forest in 97 and was just blown away by his talent then. Insane to think he played pro ball all the way till 2016. Amazing player.

random25

The best of his time. Salute to TD. He may never give those exciting plays but he gives you the wins, the trophies and the rings. Top 10 all-time in my book.

Legend. So glad I got to watch him.

What does this mean about the rest of the spurs squad? They must not be far behind

Only Manu is close to retiring (very likely next year). Parker still has 4-5 years left. They got Aldrige and Leonard so they're always going to be a contender. EDIT: seems like the kid we drafted is supposed to be really good too.

Bufford will do his magic and find some underrated international stars and continue the cycle.

Seiniyta

WHAT!! Totally out of nowhere. One of my favorite players ever, such a class act on and off the court. Man, I`ll never look at the Spurs the same way again.

Nah, the release of Pokémon GO sealed the deal. Time for him to pursue a career in smash bros and play Pokémon Go :p

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
As a Laker fan I never hated Duncan even during those Spurs- Lakers wars in the early 2000s.

Also RIP to one of the best NBA rivalries.

grant_g_duncan1_sy_64011.jpg

duncan-crawford-parker-halloween.jpg

bPod

Had one hell of a career. Weird to see the Spurs without him

que the Duncan is better than Kobe debate...

kunonabi

Nah, the release of Pokémon GO sealed the deal. Time for him to pursue a career in smash bros and play Pokémon Go :p

I expect a lot of Tekken and DDR in his future. Those were the two games I saw him play the most at the arcades here in SA.

He plays Xiaoyu if you're wondering.

this_guy

One of the best all time - was great on offense and defense. It did seem like his bank shot disappeared towards the second half of his career for some reason.

Also, off topic but since there's will be a lot of Spurs fans in this thread - what was it like watching David Robinson, the MVP in '95, getting destroyed by Hakeem? I was a big Rockets and Hakeem fan as a kid and loved it, but I couldn't imagine being on the other side and watching your guy getting destroyed.

boingball

With Durant joining the Warriors it makes sense to retire, the Spurs for sure will get into the playoffs but they would have no chance against the Warriors.

inm8num2

Awesome, awesome player who showed that you can stay four years in college and still have a superstar career. Loved Duncan's humility and demeanor - he just focused on playing hard and didn't talk shit. Greatest power forward of all time!

I forgive you for beating the Pistons in the 2005 finals.

Eos

Salute to the best Spurs player in team history and the greatest power forward of all time. Tim will go down as one of the best players of all time. Going to be sad not seeing him rock the black and silver next season. I hope retirement goes well for him. Now it's time for Kawhi to step up and lead the team like Duncan has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom