• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Duncan announces retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything about Kobe and Timmy's careers was entirely fitting, and it's only right they retire the same year in entirely different ways. The NBA won't be the same without them. Timmy D is also involved in two of the biggest "What if?" moments in NBA history that could have completely shifted the course of the league. What if he had been drafted by Rick Pitino and the Celtics, and what if he had signed on with Grant Hill and the Orlando Magic in 2000?

Zeke

As a San Antonian and Spurs fan this makes me sad. So thankful and spoiled to have had Tim play here. Thanks for titles and parades Tim it's been an amazing 19 years. Can't wait until we name some streets after him. I hope they put a statue of him in front of the at@t center.

The good guy. Even when the Spurs were the villains of the nba with nasty Bowen, Duncan was always the good guy.

His rookie year is just absurd.

The Ummah

Banned
I've dreaded this day. Thank you for everything, Tim.

So glad Dirk is sticking around, I would completely lose my shit if I had to watch the NBA without my big 3 (Kobe, Tim and Dirk).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
18vmdkD.gif

My Spurs will continue to be great, at least for another 4-5 years, but man, it won't be the same. Tim Duncan is the reason the Spurs can be the Spurs, why the whole system worked, both on the court and the culture.

Pop always said he thinks Duncan would make a great coach. Would love to see him stay on the team in some sort of capacity in that regard.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Sad to see him go. Such a class act and great player.

But I guess it was time given his age and decline in contribution. He probably also figured the chances of getting one last title next year weren't great with the Warriors adding Durant, so might as well hang it up rather than take the physical toll of another season at his age.

I'm just spending my day watching old highlight clips of his and being generally bummed out. The Spurs have been my team since I first started watching the NBA in middle school and this man has been no small part to my love of the game. Respect from this NY fan.

My personal favorite player of all time. Even as a Bulls fan. He just showed up, did his job, destroyed the competition and left. Best PF to ever do it.

J2 Cool

Legendary player. I'd seriously consider putting him in my Top 5 all time

I feel like as a player.. top 10-12 or so. As a career, I can see a strong case for top 5.

Going to miss him, feels really strange. I remember him bursting onto the scene, his impact so immediate. Following MJ's retirement, I was kind of tuning out of basketball, and this big fundamentally sound 2nd year player was EASILY the best player in the NBA Finals. Who knew his impact would continue for another 17 seasons. Incredible career.

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
I still remember when he first brought a chip down here, the town went nuts.

Timmy D had one hell of career, and more or less built the SBC/AT&T Center.

My favorite player to ever play the game. So many special memories going to the AT&T Center to watch him smash whoever dared to enter. It's truly the end of an era and he will be sorely missed.

Amazing player so glad I got to see him live more than a few times, definitely one of my favorite athletes just on his great personality. Gonna be weird not seeing him next year in a spurs jersey.

J2 Cool

Another memory of his peak, was taking it to the Lakers in '03. Many people remember the 2004 Pistons ending the Lakers, but Duncans Spurs were the first to do it.

I remember Timmy just giving it to them, the tall order in front of him. Worried when 2-0 Spurs, gets tied up at 2-2.

28/12/5 on 53% shooting for the series. Just what legends are made of. They needed every bit of it.

Mortemis

Banned
Incredible player, definitely one of the best at his position.

Never really liked the Spurs, but I always had respect for Tim. Sad to see him retire.

SSPssp

Now we can't try to make him miss free throws by shouting out "Timmy" like in South Park. (It never worked.)
Best PF, I hope he enjoys whatever he does next!

Absolute legend. He was a big reason why the Western conference has been so dominant the last two decades. The other WC teams had their natural rise and fall cycles but you could always count on the Spurs to be a show of strength for the West every year.

So does this officially end the link with the ‘90s era with Timmy and Kobe gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom