• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiny Tower |OT| Elevator action, Dream-Jobs & Bitbook updates

BKXB

Economist
soqquatto said:
I'm kinda miffed by this. the pixel art hooked me at first as the simple mechanic and all the nice extra touches (bitbook et al). after reaching the 30th floor though I realized there is no game at all. you just have to babysit the inevitable outcome of things without making any real decision, my actions were not having any effect. what is this? it's not a "game", it's not even a "toy". it's more of a pretty shiny thing that looks nice but has no substance. I started strong "power leveling" my tower but after three days straight I felt... empty, and just quit.
my 2c.

This game reminds me of a Tamagotchi. It's something cute to babysit and take care of. The more time you give it, the better the outcome; but yes, there isn't really any skill involved.

That said: 47 floors, 84 bitizens, 78 dream jobs.

My god, the recording studio with 3 dream jobs is a beast!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Sweet I had no idea it was ported!

Time to fire up the iPad

Not a great port. SimTower is one of my all-time favourite games and I can't really recommend the iPad port unambiguously. It's probably still worth playing, but don't let interface issues on the iPad port wreck your memories of the fantastic original.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
angelfly said:
I really wish it could auto stock something you have ready to be stocked. I'll have things on order for every shop and then forget to check back in and see if it's delivered and come back to every store out of stock.

They're looking at implementing an auto-stock mechanism in 1.3. You'd still have to launch the game but you wouldn't need to go to every floor clicking. They aren't sure if it's going to be something that costs bux or requires dream jobbers or whatever other option.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Another attempt to build a private eye fails. 53rd floor, I wait a day for... a dentist's office. Building creative now, here's hoping for a game/recording studio!

wetflame said:
Another attempt to build a private eye fails. 53rd floor, I wait a day for... a dentist's office. Building creative now, here's hoping for a game/recording studio!
The game dev studio is awesome. The mmo takes 11 hours, but it's so worth it, when you have 3 dream jobbers.

Yeah the film studio is pretty ace too. A dream-jobber and a big spender can net you 60,000 coins in one go!

My Mapple Store was the third retail store I opened =)

You're a Zune fanboy, you don't deserve it. I hate you, please die.
Floor renaming = Mune Store

Lanbeast

Poor Freddie.

kBG97.jpg

wetflame

Pizza Dog
brotkasten said:
The game dev studio is awesome. The mmo takes 11 hours, but it's so worth it, when you have 3 dream jobbers.
I got a fashion studio. Darn it. Now i'm building residential so I can staff the next couple of stores. Probably going with a recreation next, want that paintball arena!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The developer's posted a screenshot of an upcoming tabbed filter for bitizens (sort by job and floor type etc) on his twitter. Shows four of the new floors that are coming as dream jobs on there -
Recycling, Floral Studio, BBQ Place, Auto Dealer

Hige

Well I got a nice surprise yesterday. Got the Private Eye on my 75th floor! Third tier stocks 30,000 with dream jobs. :D So based on Eggo's post, Private Eye is unlocked somewhere between floor 42-75.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Hige said:
Well I got a nice surprise yesterday. Got the Private Eye on my 75th floor! Third tier stocks 30,000 with dream jobs. :D So based on Eggo's post, Private Eye is unlocked somewhere between floor 42-75.
I unlocked a new service floor today at lev 48. It'll be under construction until tomorrow. There are only two left for me: the martial arts or private eye, but the doctor's office which I unlocked around 42 is just as good as the private eye. 90k for a VIP.

Chanser

Got the Paintball Arena on the 26th floor, I had it in a earlier floor but didn't need it. It's so frustrating, I got 2 groups of 3 people with the same dream job but no floor is building it.

Tobor

toythatkills said:
Yeah the film studio is pretty ace too. A dream-jobber and a big spender can net you 60,000 coins in one go!

My Mapple Store was the third retail store I opened =)

Floor renaming = Mune Store
Well, you won't have to worry about restocking it anymore. :p

Jasoco

Banned
On the advice of a previous poster a few pages back, I've created a Numbers spreadsheet that I am using to write down every Bitizen that the game asks me to find. When I find them, I write what floor they're on. I have a nice list now of a selection of them. Makes it much easier to find them when it asks. Just wish I had the iPad version of Numbers so I could take this with me. But $10 is a bit expensive. I wonder if one of my file viewing apps can view it...

Edit: Success. DropBox can view it. It just can't edit it.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Jasoco said:
On the advice of a previous poster a few pages back, I've created a Numbers spreadsheet that I am using to write down every Bitizen that the game asks me to find. When I find them, I write what floor they're on. I have a nice list now of a selection of them. Makes it much easier to find them when it asks. Just wish I had the iPad version of Numbers so I could take this with me. But $10 is a bit expensive. I wonder if one of my file viewing apps can view it...

Can't you use Google Docs?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Got 100 out of 100 bitizens in their dream jobs but no more apartments, and my next residential building won't get built for another 23 hours or so. Can't farm bucks for a day....making me crazy o_O

Jasoco

Banned
Eggo said:
Can't you use Google Docs?
I dunno. Maybe. But I have iWork and it's going to waste. Not that I ever use it. It was for my ex. Docs might work better. Does it have an offline cache mode for my iPad?

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Jasoco said:
I dunno. Maybe. But I have iWork and it's going to waste. Not that I ever use it. It was for my ex. Docs might work better. Does it have an offline cache mode for my iPad?
Don't think so, but you need to be online to play Tiny Tower, so it should do what you need.

I wish they'd finally give us another elevator. My Tower has 54 floors and using the gold elevator feels a bit like playing Mass Effect.

brotkasten said:
I wish they'd finally give us another elevator. My Tower has 54 floors and using the gold elevator feels a bit like playing Mass Effect.

I'm also with 54 and I stopped using the elevator 20 floors ago. I get my bucks from full restocking and dream jobs, and I only use it to get new citizens.

Hige

brotkasten said:
Haha, yeah it takes forever once you're past 40 floors or so. The VIP appearance rate seems to stay the same, which means I see less VIPs as my tower gets taller. It takes ~19 sec to reach the top floor in my tower, but then the elevator takes about the same amount of time to get back to the bottom. So it feels like I don't see VIPs as often as I used to. :(

Also, for the doubters earlier, the dev has confirmed that "The demand varies the rate at which consumers enter that floor type."

jrock

Aynone know the deal with VIP spawn rates?
I'm at 34 floors and haven't seen a VIP in a couple days now when I used to get them a lot more frequently. I've moved about 50 people in the elevator and nada.

Stumpokapow said:
Not a great port. SimTower is one of my all-time favourite games and I can't really recommend the iPad port unambiguously. It's probably still worth playing, but don't let interface issues on the iPad port wreck your memories of the fantastic original.

=( Yoot Tower port for iOS is bad? =( Simtower would be perfect for ipad if implemented properly

at this point i'm willing to straight out buy a mapple store, SPAWN DAMN YOU.

I would play a sim exclusively about a mapple store. I can see how much fun i would have running a mapple store, watching the new product announcements on the stevetron 2000 television. Sinking resources to research new products, increasing the power of the RDF through arcane mapple magic. Make my dreams come true.

Hige

jrock said:
Aynone know the deal with VIP spawn rates?
I'm at 34 floors and haven't seen a VIP in a couple days now when I used to get them a lot more frequently. I've moved about 50 people in the elevator and nada.
A guy at Touch Arcade seems to think they come in pairs. I think that's been the case for me some of the time, but it could just be blind luck. I definitely see less VIPs than I used to as my tower gets taller. I wondered if the game is actually programmed to give less VIPs as you progress and it's not just a matter of the elevator taking more time to complete a drop-off cycle. If that is the case, I'm certainly not more likely to buy an IAP since the benefits are smaller the further you progress into the game.

Tobor

Jasoco said:

OT, but Jesus, it's a fully functional spreadsheet program. $10 is a steal!

Jasoco

Banned
Tobor said:
OT, but Jesus, it's a fully functional spreadsheet program. $10 is a steal!
But I have no need for it aside from this silly game! I wouldn't even use it anymore once I've discarded Tiny Tower... eventually... when it releases its grip on my soul.

Edit: Besides, I just created a Google Docs spreadsheet for this. I don't even need iWork on my computer. It belonged to my ex.

Jasoco

Banned
Wow. Not to be off topic, but Google Docs is fucking amazing. They even have the standard hot keys working like Command+V, X, C for cut, copy and paste as well as Save with Command+S and undo with Command+Z. And it works perfectly on my iPad. Don't need Numbers anymore!

Wow. 1 million dollars? Geeze! I don't even have a Scoops yet though. I have a silly frozen Yogurt shop.

Wario64 said:
Yeah, Frozen Yogurt was my first store. Scoops looks cool.
Yeah, I like it. They sell Ice Cream Bars, Triple Scoop's, and Ice Cream Cake. It was also luck that it happened right above my Cake Studio. The desert section of the building.

Meier

brotkasten said:
You're a Zune fanboy, you don't deserve it. I hate you, please die.
lol, I've had the tag since 12/07. I still stand by what I said 100%.

Apple missed the boat with making the Touch so small in terms of storage size. The regular iPod is just so boring and played out at this point and I can't imagine why anyone would get it.

At that point in time, there was only like an 8 and 16 GB Touch and they obviously didn't have apps or anything of that nature.

Jasoco

Banned
Are we sure this Bitbook stuff is random? Sometimes it just gets too coincidental. Do the Bitizens get personalities too??

FbDuv.png

(From the SA thread too)

yamo

What effect do the bitizen skill level add? I know that if a bitizen score a dream job they stock double the ammount of goods but I haven't figured out what effect the skill lvl, ie. 1 to 9, has on the game.

Anyone?

hongesagatame said:
A discount in cost of restocking?
When you restock an item, it'll say you have xx% discount - that discount is the combined skill of the bitizens that work there. So three bitizens with a skill of nine for a combined 27% discount is the ultimate aim.

yamo

toythatkills said:
When you restock an item, it'll say you have xx% discount - that discount is the combined skill of the bitizens that work there. So three bitizens with a skill of nine for a combined 27% discount is the ultimate aim.

Ahh I see, cheers!

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah, it's really nice. Right now I have an Art Studio with a 9, 8 and 6, a Frozen Yogurt with 4, 9 and 7 and a Music Store with 9, 7 and 8 as well as other happy workers scattered around. Many shops with at least 2. Eventually I'll do some more cleaning house and replace some of the losers. Maybe when my next residential floor opens in 24 hours.

Top Bottom