• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

RedFury

Scorch is a "trap and kill" titan. He has the fastest non-core kill time if you can contain an enemy titan, and can take out entire groups of them if you flank distracted ones. Don't engage in wide-open spaces, that's just asking for death against equally skilled titans.

The key is getting good with the gas canister placement and limiting the movement of your opponents with them. They stay around for quite a while, so even the threat of one in an area can be a deterrent to the enemy team - you don't need to always ignite them immediately. Try to fire them beyond or to the side of your opponent, not necessarily in front of them, and then back them into the area and light it up. I also use them through windows to cover bank deposits for my team quite a bit.

Flame wall is nice to block space or toss down an area of limited mobility, like the streets of angel city, or to catch fleeing pilots.

I generally play scorch midrange and push titans around with the threat of flame shield (enhanced flame shield is a very useful upgrade). You have to play patient though, and that means taking damage sometimes, as you don't have good closing speed. Also, don't forget that flame shield can melt any incoming attack except for core abilities, and you can feather it with good timing to extend its active time.

I'd suggest running dash core so that when you burn down ronins that dash in, you can escape their inevitable nuke eject shenanigans, or wait out an opponent's dash backs, then use yours to close for melting with shield or to put pressure on the enemy to back into your traps.

Scorch is likely the one of the best balanced titans in the game with great strengths and weaknesses, which sadly makes him come up short against some of the others >cough< Tone >cough< in how the game is paced.
To add to this you can fire off canisters while flame shield is up. Useful to set them up safely and catch them off guard. No one with any sense will walk into the gas but you can bait them with no traps into a false sense of security. They start shooting because they "caught" you. Put up shield lob one canister behind and one on them. Use flame wall to ignite the lane and hit them with thermite launcher. They'll either try to run away (smart) or stand and bang (stupid). If they try to get away by going through you push them into the fire with your flame shield. Also don't waste time, as soon as flame shield had doomed them execute them to replenish your shield while getting invulnerability frames.

I feel like the orange glow is necessary to help visualize pilots from grunts, and to help counter them camping in a dark corner.

Im all aboard the tweaking Tone bandwagon. I just want to see more diversity, and think a Northstar buff would be great, especially as a counter, but I also want Northstar to be more viable. I think she deserves sonar more than Tone. Maybe tone could get some missile that tracks pilots.

Been using Ion and Tone so far but want to branch out. Tried Scorch last night but could not figure out the proper technique. With Tone and Ion I can kinda sit back, use the wall/vortex and hammer on enemies from afar. It doesn't seem like I can use Scorch the same way. But then I tried being up in the middle of everything, using the flame shield to melt enemy titans, but that didn't really work either (I kept dying really quick). Any suggestions from you guys who love Scorch?

Oh man Scorch is amazing. Use his fire wall to buy time or punish someone off guard. His fire is devastating and presumably does the same damage from any range.

I dont really have advice, but I love killing pilots with him.

Equip dash because he otherwise has none. And by the way, you can damage yourself with the fire, so be very careful.

FDBMath

Ok, i searched and can't find an answer to this. I know on PC you can have a key mapped for "hold to crouch" instead of "toggle crouch." Is this possible on the XBone? I would much rather have that than toggle. Thanks!

SwolBro

Banned
Lol @Cobalt. They junioured you for that?!

I'll never understand the mods in this place.

Yeah there really is no point in me using anything else but the 201. Old faithful.
YljfCfJpVslCE.gif

PcufhfGPOrpE4.gif

Oh man, I just realized that this game doesn't have split-screen. I think for a game like this, it would have been nice.

Especially if they intend to add a co-op mode

Izuna

Banned
so this would be what I was looking for

You're building a website using PNGs:
PNGs can contain ICC profiles, but PNGs saved using Save For Web can not. This means if you're using PNGs and Save For Web, they can't benefit from any colour management at all. Converting to sRGB when saving for web will destructively change their appearance with no benefit. If you've used a specific colour, like #FF0010 in your PNG, it will likely be changed to not match the same colour used in HTML, CSS or other code.

Izuna

Banned
I'm not talking to a Juniors, sorry

jk :| So that means there is no workaround for your problem (save as gif maybe?) because it destroys the intern color profile?

Nah, there is a solution.

It's gunna be dope (and trippy if you're a mobile user, but that's fine since it's #000000

I took the L and the test actually gave me the info I needed regardless.

Finals finally over. Now to enjoy the double XP weekend and hit Gen 10. It sounds like Gen 11 still isn't active yet?
I would have gotten juniored for that anyway!
I wasn't going to

I am however looking for a volunteer to help me post the OT2. I've done a bit of work on it...
I'm willing to help out (and post it if need be). Send me a link and I'll take a couple editing passes. I'm not sure how to solve your image issue, though...

I don't discredit your experience at all. Only that PC is different.

You gotta remember that it's much harder to move and aim on console then add all the people that don't have elite controllers or claw, AND that still use "a" to jump so not even bumper jumper.......

Rooftop/window camping reigns supreme by 99% of the population .

Yeah this is definitely true in my experience. I don't think it's necessarily the best strategy but it's definitely what 90% of the community are doing.

I find myself running around with the alternator finishing games of attrition with 25-30 kills, only to have my friend finish with a similar score. I ask him what he's using and he says hemlock, and he thinks 'autofiring weapon are for scrubs'.

I feel like I have to put in so much work, running around with alternator, volt or car, to get this high killcount, when at the same time, someone on my team can sit on a roof top for half of the game and achieve a similar score. Then he goes on to suggest that his playstyle has the higher learning curve.

This guy isn't on gaf, but some of the things he says really trigger me.

RedFury

Yeah this is definitely true in my experience. I don't think it's necessarily the best strategy but it's definitely what 90% of the community are doing.

I find myself running around with the alternator finishing games of attrition with 25-30 kills, only to have my friend finish with a similar score. I ask him what he's using and he says hemlock, and he thinks 'autofiring weapon are for scrubs'.

I feel like I have to put in so much work, running around with alternator, volt or car, to get this high killcount, when at the same time, someone on my team can sit on a roof top for half of the game and achieve a similar score. Then he goes on to suggest that his playstyle has the higher learning curve.

This guy isn't on gaf, but some of the things he says really trigger me.
Like I said the play style works on the general populace but I'm sure you would "wreck" him simply because you can anticipate where hell be at all times while he requires line of sight to get a bead on you...then he'll say it doesn't count because you use an automatic weapon. I too have friends like this. Once someone takes away their spot over and over they don't even know what to do. I find these type of players have a "spot" they like to fish from on the open lake. It's the mobile players that once you learn these spots THEY are the fish and these "spots" are actually a "barrel"...all you have to do is keep shooting into it.

SwolBro

Banned
Like I said the play style works on the general populace but I'm sure you would "wreck" him simply because you can anticipate where hell be at all times while he requires line of sight to get a bead on you...then he'll say it doesn't count because you use an automatic weapon. I too have friends like this. Once someone takes away their spot over and over they don't even know what to do. I find these type of players have a "spot" they like to fish from on the open lake. It's the mobile players that once you learn these spots THEY are the fish and these "spots" are actually a "barrel"...all you have to do is keep shooting into it.

Thing is if he has good aim he can actually win a 1v1 in this game because the guns are so powerful and track so well it's very hard to beat someone by just being more mobile. That's the issue with these guns right now. Sit back with a hemlock or G2a and you can kill anyone rushing you. In Titanfall 1 stim+strafe/movement and a regular COD player even with the best aim had no chance in hell in winning a dual. They significantly lowered the skill gap.

Thing is if he has good aim he can actually win a 1v1 in this game because the guns are so powerful and track so well it's very hard to beat someone by just being more mobile. That's the issue with these guns right now. Sit back with a hemlock or G2a and you can kill anyone rushing you. In Titanfall 1 stim+strafe/movement and a regular COD player even with the best aim had no chance in hell in winning a dual. They significantly lowered the skill gap.

What about a hemlock user who is airborne

It depends. If the gametype were objective focused then I feel that the mobile playstyles have the advantage but if it were just pure kills and the ranged weapon uses are a little unpredictable (not always in the same spot) then I think they'd definitely win out.

It also gets worse when their are more of them, one is easy to flank, two are more difficult, and that just gets worse with the numbers. A good team of hemlock users can lock down a map very effectively. It can be a prevalent strategy in pubs on Crash site and Complex because of the linearity of those maps.

In my opinion it's more of an issue that it's a boring way to play the game, more than it is ineffective. Turrets, hemlock, G2, devotion, etc. they all promote slow paced gameplay styles and in some cases I have felt that the layering of these items can suck the fun out of the match.

Like I say, one or two players camping on roof tops with hemlocks is one thing, but then they bring out the turrets, the amped walls, the repeated focus on doing the exact same thing over and over again no matter how many times they die, and it gets boring.

I had a match on Forwardbase Kodai yesterday where I couldn't go a minute without seeing a turret of player pop up on some overwatch. It felt like I was playing some crappy game of whackamole, continually destroying their shit, forcing them off the roof tops. It's pretty boring, I ended up with a good score but it wasn't much fun. Dodging turrets in particular gets tedious after a while. I think it makes sense that people might favour more defensive playstyles but some of the equipment options that synergise with that playstyle are just straight up annoying.

I started using the devotion for a few matches because it was stuck as my 'most efficient weapon' with 1 minute of use. I had thought that it would fall from that status with natural play, but...

JdL99KO.gif

I think the issue with the devotion is that it's not strictly ineffective even when it's not been fired. It starts off strong and as the rate of fire increases it gets to the point where it's an instant kill. It's efficacy is so far away from the other LMGs, it seems like the entire category needs a readjustment.

Do enemy Titans have a tell when their core is available that I've completely missed?

They don't, you have to estimate. Kind of a shame. It would be reasonable to have players guess if there weren't so many variables altering core build up. Outside of LTS it's almost impossible to know what status they're at with their core.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Some images I wanted to use (text actually) clashed hard depending on the theme people used, and finding a middle ground was hard. So I had this idea to essentially hide it based on your theme so you got the best visibility regardless.

I could only really test this by making a thread, because of this strange issue where after uploading it wouldn't take. Anyway, what's done is done?

This OT, for example, says *best viewed in dark theme*, and I was looking for a solution.

This might be the most random way I've ever seen someone be juniored! Haha! :D I've seen shitposts, account suicide, etc.

It's a new OT, so it belongs there, right? This gave deserves the popular forum's attention!

I'll do it, if you want.

Why not? Worse case is, it'll get moved to Community. It really should be in Gaming. I mean, Infinite Warfare's thread is like a ghost town and it's in Gaming.

FStop7

Banned
Turrets have too much health.

I think the issue with the devotion is that it's not strictly ineffective even when it's not been fired. It starts off strong and as the rate of fire increases it gets to the point where it's an instant kill. It's efficacy is so far away from the other LMGs, it seems like the entire category needs a readjustment.

I luuurv Devotion. It's got fast ADS and reloading without perks. The stock iron sight is great. Good hipfire, too. Works great with a mobile play style even though it's an LMG.

Calderc

They don't, you have to estimate. Kind of a shame. It would be reasonable to have players guess if there weren't so many variables altering core build up. Outside of LTS it's almost impossible to know what status they're at with their core.

Thought so. Got caught a few times last night getting the better of a Titan only for them to unleash hell on me. Sucks man ;(

Thought so. Got caught a few times last night getting the better of a Titan only for them to unleash hell on me. Sucks man ;(

Best bet is to expect it.

If someone like Ion is using overcore then they're going to get core at some point in your encounter. So don't overextend into a position where you wouldn't be able to dodge the laser.

Messed around with the SMR till Gen 2 and trying the EPG now, feels like I'm gonna have to get in close :(

I managed to make top of team in a few games using the EPG but it's a pretty rough experience. It's hard to run around dropping kills and being killed for the sake of a fun weapon.

I started using the devotion for a few matches because it was stuck as my 'most efficient weapon' with 1 minute of use. I had thought that it would fall from that status with natural play, but...

JdL99KO.gif

If you tap the trigger, you can outgun G2As at range with it. It's long-range accuracy is just insane.

Turrets have too much health.

I luuurv Devotion. It's got fast ADS and reloading without perks. The stock iron sight is great. Good hipfire, too. Works great with a mobile play style even though it's an LMG.
No. I think there stackability is the issue in pvp. Take all boosts out of pvp and most complaints get resolved

E92 M3

I'm not a fan of the devotion, but it's a really cool and unique weapon. The Devotion charging up gives me PTSD, but I'm happy it exists for the folks that like it. The more variety the better. In fact, Titanfall 2 is one of the few of the shooters that really got the sandbox right.

Respawn should be applauded for that.

E92 M3

What exactly is so cool and unique about it, other than the fact that it's so much more effective than the other LMGs in the game?

It charges up as it shoots and is effective in combat. Also has a fast reload. I think it's a cool gun that doesn't act like a typical LMG. The other LMGs should be buffed if they're not used as much.

I want every category to have exciting weapons. Everything should feel unique and powerful. Ideally, the player should never be punished for picking a gun such as the LStar or Spitfire.

It charges up as it shoots and is effective in combat. Also has a fast reload. I think it's a cool gun that doesn't act like a typical LMG. The other LMGs should be buffed if they're not used as much.

I want every category to have exciting weapons. Everything should feel unique and powerful. Ideally, the player should never be punished for picking a gun such as the LStar or Spitfire.

Fair enough.

I think we have different definitions of unique. I want all the weapons balanced too, but I don't really think any of the pilot weapons in the game are genuinely unique save for a few of the grenade types.

Calderc

I find the Devotion hilarious when some one gets you with the first few shots but you manange to get behind cover and then you just hear them empty the entire clip in the hope they'll catch you with it.

It's an absolute Titan killer when paired with the A Wall though. Only time I use either of those is when the other team has full Titan support. You can take one down in ~1 clip.

I find the Devotion hilarious when some one gets you with the first few shots but you manange to get behind cover and then you just hear them empty the entire clip in the hope they'll catch you with it.

It's an absolute Titan killer when paired with the A Wall though. Only time I use either of those is when the other team has full Titan support. You can take one down in ~1 clip.

Honestly, you take the high-ground and put up an A-Wall with the Devotion on Crash Site, you're not going to end the match with fewer than 20 pilot kills.

That initial spawn feels like a futuristic version of the battle of Normandy from the bad-guy's perspective. Just gunning down fools.

Calderc

Honestly, you take the high-ground and put up an A-Wall with the Devotion on Crash Site, you're not going to end the match with fewer than 20 pilot kills.

That initial spawn feels like a futuristic version of the battle of Normandy from the bad-guy's perspective. Just gunning down fools.

Totally get that would be effective (and boy is it effective...to the point of annoyance) but I just hate playing that way. I've never been a big online FPS guy (must've put a combined total of 10 hours into COD throughout the years) and literally the only reason I bought the first TF was the movement. It's the only reason I play. I've come at this from a really weird angle where I was great at movement but couldn't shoot shit. I've had to get better at that part of the game instead of the movement which is like the opposite of most people. If I didn't play a fast, aggressive role in this I would be just as shit at it as I was in COD.

Top Bottom