• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

schlew

This is the first time I've ever been faced with Regenerating/Prestiging, and I'm a little confused.

Is there any benefit beyond cosmetics?

I bought the pilot/Titan skin DLC, and I mostly just use variants of pink, so is there any real need for me to Regen? I've played as much as I can since launch, and this is my first Regen so it would take me a long while before I could unlock everything again. Any suggestions?

E92 M3

When you have a super low time to kill you can put almost anything in the game and it will feel near enough balanced because anything is capable of winning an encounter. It obscures balance issues.

Not that I think the game is especially unbalanced or awful. I love it, but I don't think it's at the point where we can praise Respawn for doing a good job in this particular regard. There's too much disparity between the most, and least effective weapons. Entire categories of weapons that feel almost useless, single categories that only have one decent weapon (devotion).

I understand your point but compare it to the competition. For instance, in Destiny only a couple gun variations are useful.

The gold standard is MW2 - everything was useful - and Titanfall 2 reaches real close to that.

This is the first time I've ever been faced with Regenerating/Prestiging, and I'm a little confused.

Is there any benefit beyond cosmetics?

I bought the pilot/Titan skin DLC, and I mostly just use variants of pink, so is there any real need for me to Regen? I've played as much as I can since launch, and this is my first Regen so it would take me a long while before I could unlock everything again. Any suggestions?

You can use your credits to unlock items permanently (won't go away after regen). There is essentially no downfall to prestiging in this game. It's the best rendition yet.

Arttemis

3453 ping... I can't even move. Whew, only lasted 30 seconds. I hope.

Edit, I REALLY wish the game had Rocket League's sounds regarding a match starting. I can hear that clearly when looking await occupying the minute it takes to find a match.

Izuna

Banned
Reddit dude has jokes

Legion is a direct counter. Being a direct counter doesn't mean he can beat her by himself. But it takes more like three seconds to take down her shield. I saw it today. He, thank god, doesn't have the ammo capacity to take down the shield and health of a Tone. He can, however, doom her.

Sorry if this is passive aggressive but I feel like his own words contradict his points.

Bolded made me laugh.

jeffc919

3453 ping... I can't even move. Whew, only lasted 30 seconds. I hope.

This is the biggest issue that needs to be addressed right now IMO, not nerfs, buffs, or balance issues. Tonight wasn't so bad for me but this was happening constantly last night. I don't recall having these issues a couple weeks ago.

SwolBro

Banned
. Devotion is by far the best gun in the game. Needs a nerf pronto.
Yup, it does. And it's not because it's the best gun but because there's no drawbacks to it from not being mobile. The best gun should not be a stationary monster.

What's the diff between volt and car

They seem nearly identical
Before the nerf Volt was the best overall gun. After the nerf i find it to be merely an ok weapon that doesn't do anything particularly amazing. CAR is a monster for mobile players but it can't do mid all that well and forget about doing long range battles.

I feel like this place is becoming far too toxic for dev responses. Reddit seems to have far more feedback there.

I really hope OT2 won't be like this.
Yes, let's listen to REDDIT. It's mainly PC play over there.

i don't think things are toxic here. Does criticism need to be followed by a bit of praise and fluff at the end all the time? Should we create a safe space?

Northstar is just terrible imo. I am trying to figure her out but she gets destroyed so damn fast it is unbelievable.

It probably doesnt help that the teams I am going up against in LTS are just Gen 4+ every time and I have level 10-20 gen 1 people on my team.
Northstar is a killer in LTS.

It is not even close. If we are losing an LTS match people switch to Tone and we instantly start doing better.
I stll don't understand why you can paint targets with the sonar. This effectively gives Tone an opportunity to have a target painted almost at all times. Ronin phasing out of Tone's lock ons made Ronin 100% more effective against Tones. It's such a simple fix.

Look how many teammates he has with him. It's far easier to go hopping around the maps like this with teammates preventing the enemy team from ever getting a lock down on an area. It opens a lot of space for him to go crazy mobile. Having just 1 other really good teammate can change the landscape of a match.

In saying that his mobility is coming a long nice and the CAR usage is impressive. I have to give the CAR more time.

29' kills
2664 score
Next closest was 1205

My best game

And it's all thanks to some great pilot play, but the star here is scorch

Absolutely melts pilots and does hefty damage to titans

Wow why does skirmish exist.

Skirmish, pvp, attrition.

Very redundant, and the mode is flat out boring

Do you guys think kill confirmed would work? I think it'd be much better and add a better twist

8v8 hardpoint is pretty fun

It should be default. I'm noticing that I only play certain maps on 8v8 or CTF

I don't get black water much for attrition or bounty

No_Style

Just going to post this for folks who may have issues with multiple consoles on the same network:

If you have a NETGEAR NightHawk, there is something about its UPNP implementation that doesn't play nicely with TitanFall 2. Setting NAT Filtering to Open will fix the issue for both consoles but it will leave your network more vulnerable.

I am personally exploring options to put my old ASUS as the gateway router to see if it will be more compatible. It's unfortunate that this is the only game that has issues with it :(

I understand your point but compare it to the competition. For instance, in Destiny only a couple gun variations are useful.

The gold standard is MW2 - everything was useful - and Titanfall 2 reaches real close to that.

Destiny has a comparably long TTK which is why more subtle differences in damage output become huge. It's not a fair comparison to say it's better balanced than that, there are so many more details that had to go into Destiny's balancing.

SwolBro

Banned
I gotta say I miss the old volt. I readily choose the CAR over it now but it just ain't the same.

The sentry shit is so cheap.

Just played a game where half the other team had sentrys constantly.

And it begins. Come around Gaf, come around.

The next series of tweaks should be this:
ON CONSOLE (sorry i don't care about PC. please go away PC and stop ruining my party)

• Return Volt to glory. Or at least half way to what it was
  • Either increase boost percentage for Pilot Sentry or decrease it's health/accuracy
  • Decrease Hemlock rate of fire a tiny bit. Possibly do something about the ease of getting headshots and tracking targets.
  • Decrease G2A range
  • Decrease Devotion damage/range/clip size and increase it's time to reload.
  • Reduce player GLOW for god sakes. It'd be nice if the faster you move the less glow you have. The more you sit around the more glow you have. That'd be a novel idea yeah? Probably takes some coding wizard but it'd be fucking genius.
  • Take away Tone's ability to paint targets with sonar and be done with tweaking her already.
  • For the love of... please place all playlists on one page so i can play CTF throughout the day and not only on peak hours
These changes and this game would be 100x better.

Just flank them. The arc is so small.

The cone of view is almost 180 degrees in front, it's not small at all. It's fine to flank them when I know they are there but there are too many situations where I pop around a corner, already committed to the movement, and the pilot sentry will kill me before I can react.

You need to be able to react to them.

Best use of Sentries is to set them up during the evacuation mini game. I was playing PvP in Complex and purposely saved 2 sentries for this reason just in case my team lost. Well we did and I set up shop near the evac spot. But I also had A Wall on top of that so when they came out to try and get me I put up the shield and just watch them helplessly try to kill me as I stood their and taunted them by crouching repeatedly.

I took out the entire other team who got there first and basically rolled out the red carpet for my teammates who showed up a little later. Yeah we still lost, but man that was fun to troll the other team like that.

SwolBro

Banned
The cone of view is almost 180 degrees in front, it's not small at all. It's fine to flank them when I know they are there but there are too many situations where I pop around a corner, already committed to the movement, and the pilot sentry will kill me before I can react.

You need to be able to react to them.

When you and your sentry buddy drop em like bowling pins
NeeKcpIjoUHa8.gif

Notice that the last pilot the damn sentry killed him before i did.

Best use of Sentries is to set them up during the evacuation mini game. I was playing PvP in Complex and purposely saved 2 sentries for this reason just in case my team lost. Well we did and I set up shop near the evac spot. But I also had A Wall on top of that so when they came out to try and get me I put up the shield and just watch them helplessly try to kill me as I stood their and taunted them by crouching repeatedly.

I took out the entire other team who got there first and basically rolled out the red carpet for my teammates who showed up a little later. Yeah we still lost, but man that was fun to troll the other team like that.

The worst use of anything is in post-game because it means you held on to resources that could have benefited you / your team during the match. The post game evacuation means nothing.

Playing on the US servers tonight, absolutely awful experience. Started fine, for a good few hours, but then later into the night everyone was stuttering. The thing is, my ping didn't get any worse, but the way the netcode was handling the games seemed completely different.

Absolutely everything was stuttering, myself, enemy players, allies, titan's, all of the grunts. It was like the game was using a tick rate less than 5. Has anyone experienced similar despite a not completely terrible ping? My ping was 120-150 most of the time, but the matches were acting as if it was 300+. Some of the time I couldn't even move or respawn.

I don't think I'm going to play pilots versus pilots and things like that outside of my region anymore. On Titan focused gametypes it's not so bad, but in pilots vs pilots, the extra latency was literally killing me, over and over.

When I got Goosed by a Pilot Sentry once, I proceeded to believe that they were a stupid addition to the game.

That's a good example of where it's unavoidable to be honest. You drop down some place on the map, obviously assuming that there isn't a pilot sentry covering that area (a reasonable assumption) then if you're using anything but phase shift, you're already dead.

Even phase shift can't survive some of the time. Sometimes it feels like they headshot you or something, almost an instant kill. Might be lag though.

The worst use of anything is in post-game because it means you held on to resources that could have benefited you / your team during the match. The post game evacuation means nothing.

I get that, I was joking but I guess I wasn't being obvious enough. It was just something I wanted to do at least once in the map Complex because their is no way to flank sentries set up near the evacuation spot. It's not something I'm going to keep doing, but it was fun to do it at least once.

I get that, I was joking but I guess I wasn't being obvious enough. It was just something I wanted to do at least once in the map Complex because their is no way to flank sentries set up near the evacuation spot. It's not something I'm going to keep doing, but it was fun to do it at least once.

Yeah there's actually plenty of situations where there's no way to flank them. Like if there's a Titan anywhere near them, what are you supposed to do? The sentry will always cover the Titan from a rodeo, or anyone that tries to even get anywhere near him, and the Titan is always going to one-shot anyone that tries to melee the sentry.

They're super annoying and in my opinion, really shouldn't have made it into the game.

Izuna

Banned
That's a good example of where it's unavoidable to be honest. You drop down some place on the map, obviously assuming that there isn't a pilot sentry covering that area (a reasonable assumption) then if you're using anything but phase shift, you're already dead.

Even phase shift can't survive some of the time. Sometimes it feels like they headshot you or something, almost an instant kill. Might be lag though.

With everything in this game, I feel like Phase Shift is really the only way to go. It mitigates a lot of the crap you'd normally have to put up with. It's a shame that both Stim and Phase Shift are robots... I would never choose to be a robot in a game these days ;(

I also wish that Sentries didn't use the same netcode as Pilot weapons. I mean, I'm making this assumption, but you're right. If you're lagging it feels like the Sentry 2 shots you. It's being controlled by another player so why should it feel that way?

deoee

Yes, US "Ping" or lag compensation get's funny over time.
I just restart the game or choose a different Data Center and it's fine again if it happens to me (from Europe).

The Sentry shouldn't be able to aim vertically which would solve the problem.
Make it a death zone in a cone in front of it, but pilots should be able to parcour above it.

They're like a deployable smart pistol.
You know, I can't actually come up with a good counterargument to this.

I mean, I didn't hate the Smart Pistol in Titanfall 1 as much as other people, so maybe that has something to do with why I don't seem to hate sentries as much.

Izuna

Banned
You know, I can't actually come up with a good counterargument to this.

I mean, I didn't hate the Smart Pistol in Titanfall 1 as much as other people, so maybe that has something to do with why I don't seem to hate sentries as much.

I never had a problem with Smart Pistol because I knew it was a Nerf to a pilot (and was a great choice for Rodeo dps).

Sentries however... They don't add anything. They rarely kill me, but when they do, it's like *sigh*

Man, I am straight up TRASH with the G2A now.

I used to dominate with it, but now I can't finish a kill to save my life.

I still do well with the Hemlock, but I don't know.... something feels off with the G2A now. I don't know if it's just too much time rocking the Volt, CAR and R201, or if they changed something in the balance patch I didn't notice.

Sad, cause I love my single-shot weapons.

Man, I am straight up TRASH with the G2A now.

I used to dominate with it, but now I can't finish a kill to save my life.

I still do well with the Hemlock, but I don't know.... something feels off with the G2A now. I don't know if it's just too much time rocking the Volt, CAR and R201, or if they changed something in the balance patch I didn't notice.

Sad, cause I love my single-shot weapons.

What scope are you using? I used to run HCOG but fare terrible at long range, switching to HCOG ranger is much, much better.

SwolBro

Banned
Wake up to play a match.... team runs sentry+ hemlocks lol

It baffles me. Turret has

-min life span.
-Regular ar/smg can't take it down without multiple clips
-You can stack it
-It kills you almost instantly
-Pin points you immediately
-Has Razor sharp accuracy

Gun play and abuses should always be considered before implementing shit like this. Blows my mind

Izuna

Banned
What does it mean?

If you're a runner in CTF, having a ~1.3 KD would be "very good" and in Bounty Hunt, you're prioritising Minion and Titan kills, not Pilots.

KD doesn't have a place in objective types, it's a pure TDM stat (one that doesn't fully work in Titanfall because deaths by AI or Titans counts towards your KD).

---

Uni felt so good today... Omw back to finish up this thread :D

SwolBro

Banned
Playing on the US servers tonight, absolutely awful experience. Started fine, for a good few hours, but then later into the night everyone was stuttering. The thing is, my ping didn't get any worse, but the way the netcode was handling the games seemed completely different.

Absolutely everything was stuttering, myself, enemy players, allies, titan's, all of the grunts. It was like the game was using a tick rate less than 5. Has anyone experienced similar despite a not completely terrible ping? My ping was 120-150 most of the time, but the matches were acting as if it was 300+. Some of the time I couldn't even move or respawn.

I don't think I'm going to play pilots versus pilots and things like that outside of my region anymore. On Titan focused gametypes it's not so bad, but in pilots vs pilots, the extra latency was literally killing me, over ah.
Playing on a far server where your ping is 100+ you almost have no choice but to go hemlock and play conservative .

Jumping from east coast to west coast I already immediately tell a difference. Certain guns are complete trash with bad pings .

I bought a Razer Raiju today, for my PS4. I wanted a controller with paddles and I feel that Scuff are pretty tacky, so it seemed like a good bet.

EFkI9q2.png

So far so good. Controller feels great to hold and use, incredibly responsive, feels a little nicer to aim than with the PS4 controller, not sure why, but I immediately felt the desire to turn the sensitivity up on this one and felt a lot more accurate at speed. I would say it's because the control sticks are elevated but that's not the case compared to my DS4, since I was using Kontrol Freaks anyway.

Shifting to paddles from the 'Evolved layout' is tough. My muscle memory is still telling me to press R3, which is causing me to melee. Ultimately this might take some time to adjust. I've been using the Dual Shock in one form or another for 15 or so years.

krazen

Ehh,
Sentries hurt, but everyone is basically space ninjas and they are utterly helpless from behind. They may kill you ONCE before you just approach it from a different angle or lob a grenade at it on approach

You need some kind of defensive play guys; looking at the current list of complaints anything that deviates the game from turning into Quake is bad. Hemlock is evil (even though all the guns have a low ttk and ive shot a hemlock at distance) even though its the closet to a viable sniper gun in the game. Amped hardpoint, bad, even though it doesnt take that long to amp them and most of the games im in everyone stays mobile (with the starting points even switching half the time). I even saw some shade towards A Wall.

While some of you guys want everyone to just parkor with smgs that work at any distance(lol) as gods, it seems the issues you have are more with how one sided team play can be but thats normal, lol. Those three coordinated hemlock campers would be as much of a problem if they were sporting 201's, etc.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I bought a Razer Raiju today, for my PS4. I wanted a controller with paddles and I feel that Scuff are pretty tacky, so it seemed like a good bet.

EFkI9q2.png

So far so good. Controller feels great to hold and use, incredibly responsive, feels a little nicer to aim than with the PS4 controller, not sure why, but I immediately felt the desire to turn the sensitivity up on this one and felt a lot more accurate at speed. I would say it's because the control sticks are elevated but that's not the case compared to my DS4, since I was using Kontrol Freaks anyway.

Shifting to paddles from the 'Evolved layout' is tough. My muscle memory is still telling me to press R3, which is causing me to melee. Ultimately this might take some time to adjust. I've been using the Dual Shock in one form or another for 15 or so years.

Once you're adjusted to it you won't ever want to play without the paddles. I have an Elite on the X1 and it took me a few hours of running around on a private map to get the hang of slide-hopping. The Elite is worth every penny imo, if I had the budget I'd spring for the Razer on my PS4 and complete the triple dip of Titanfall 2.

Top Bottom