• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

I finally had time to play 2 attrition matches. Both of them on two of the Beta maps. Pilot play is faster and smoother for sure and I had a fucking blast. I'll fire this back up after a few beers tonight. I know, I know...don't drink and drive a titan.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So what Titans is everyone running? I tried Tone and Scorch but I just can't seem to get on with them, only one I'm doing well with is Northstar. Haven't tried Ion or Legion.

taoofjord

The simple dialogue choices in the campaign are well implemented. It's something I hope other campaigns use in the future. You can set the tone on being more straightforward or snarky or finding an inoffensive balance between the two. It's nice to not be such an obnoxious asshole for once.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I have over 20k people online right now on PS4.

Shows over 28K players for me now (PS4).

I'm kinda flabbergasted at some people's perception of how many players are needed in an online game or it's "LOL deadz." I mean, it definitely can be better, and I doubt it'll reach BF1 or CoD numbers, but to say it's "dead?" That's a bit of a stretch. Over 13K players on PC, 28K on PS4 (and it's kinda early even), and I gather, at least 15K on Xbox One is NOT dead -- not by a long shot.

I remember the same things being bandied about with BF Hardline; how it didn't have the same number of players as BF4 so it's considered dead, etc. I never had issues getting games in Hardline and as long as I don't run into issues with finding games in TF2's MP, then it's fine.

I do know that some can't find games in FFA or other modes, and I hope Respawn does something to fix that.

Also, just an FYI, I've confirmed with someone from Respawn that players do get migrated to different Data Centers; it just prioritizes the one near you for ping.

Great news, those pilot only modes(if there are any) just feel like any other fps.

Yep, I agree. They're not my cup of tea, but they're there for those who dig 'em. :)

Someone (excaliburps? Or Gerard Hawke) posted earlier that one certain section is amazing because of the gameplay mechanics and I think I just got there, and my mind was blown, you are not going to expect that from the devs known for COD.

Oh, I know that part. ;) Kinda fantastic, no? How it's seamlessly blends gameplay with the level design. I told one of my staff members about it, and said, "You'll know it once you're there." Haha! :D

EL CUCO

On Master, you can get hit by a sniper but still live the shot. Respawn I love you guys for understanding ;)

Xbox One screenie:

Screenshot-Original.png
Yup. And Checkpoints are plentiful. These guys understand fun>tedious

<3 Respawn

I'm just flashing back to all the times people lost their minds when recent Halo games had hundreds of thousands playing at launch and it dropped below 100,000 within a month or two. These numbers look pretty bad by comparison.

KodaRuss

Regarding playerbase, I think that if Rainbow Six Siege recovered from a shitty launch, Titanfall 2 can as well. It would benefit from sales, free weekends, Origin Game Time, and hyping up big DLC updates. Because of its smaller 6v6 games, I wouldn't mind if the playerbase hovered around 5-10k concurrent players. It just remains to be seen if EA and Respawn will go to those lengths to bring in new players.

I would say that the thing that saved R6S was the loyal playerbase that just stuck with it. R6S has a unique MP style where no two games are ever the same so it took a long time for it to ever get stale.

I think Titanfall 2 can do that. They need to keep it up with the good PR with DLC that is free and good content such as Frontier Defense and new Maps/Titans/Pilots

zsynqx

The simple dialogue choices in the campaign are well implemented. It's something I hope other campaigns use in the future. You can set the tone on being more straightforward or snarky or finding an inoffensive balance between the two. It's nice to not be such an obnoxious asshole for once.

It works well here because Jack Cooper is such a blank slate. In games where the characters are more defined and actually have some development this system probably wouldn't fit..

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Campaign was excellent, really took me by surprise. Nice work Respawn!

I also sat through the credits and noticed a section called 'production babies', I'm guessing those are members of the dev team who had kids during development? Noticed a familiar name on that list too ;) I can't imagine how hard it is to juggle a newborn and the pressure of making a video game like Titanfall 2.

EL CUCO

This game should have a nice bump of players for Christmas. A lot of people were unfortunately counting Titanfall 2 out since the tech test, but I think the good reviews and word of mouth should spread pretty good. I think even in the midst of giants, a game as good as this one is can stand out.

Man I am just getting crushed almost every game on PC. Attrition, Bounty, Hardpoint.

Does playing with friends mess up matchmaking or something? Though it seems to happen when I'm playing alone too. I swear I'm not that bad at FPSs...

Animator

Man I am just getting crushed almost every game on PC. Attrition, Bounty, Hardpoint.

Does playing with friends mess up matchmaking or something? Though it seems to happen when I'm playing alone too. I swear I'm not that bad at FPSs...

Are you hipfiring or aiming down sights, try to hipfire. Also adjust your sensitivity. I found the default a bit high for me.

It will click as you play. We were getting rolled when we started and haven't lost a game yesterday once we got into the groove. Also hop on the discord and group up with people, communication really helps in this game.

https://discord.gg/FaErwkT

KodaRuss

I'm just flashing back to all the times people lost their minds when recent Halo games had hundreds of thousands playing at launch and it dropped below 100,000 within a month or two. These numbers look pretty bad by comparison.

We get it you don't like Titanfall 2, quit spewing hate over and over.

So can someone help me which version I should consider? I have both PC and PS4, which has a bigger base? PC is beefy with a 1070 but is there enough people playing?

Izuna

Banned
So can someone help me which version I should consider? I have both PC and PS4, which has a bigger base? PC is beefy with a 1070 but is there enough people playing?

Personally, I'd say PS4 would be a better choice, since you can always pick up the PC version as it gets cheaper down the line.

However, your 1070 would be able to pull this game off at like 1440p maxed out. Definitely enough people playing across of platforms atm.

Zemm

Dunno if my pc can run this, how is Origin with refunds?

If I buy it and it runs like poop can I get an easy refund like on Steam?

Gorillaz

My biggest fear with this game is that population right now. Variety took a long ass time to search a Game for...and it's launch day...

I'm redboxing it right now to see if I want to go all in after feeling back and forth on the beta but I'm nervous for the community of this.

bbd23

Dunno if my pc can run this, how is Origin with refunds?

You may return EA full game downloads (PC or Mac) and participating third party titles purchased on Origin for a full refund. Refund requests can be made within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first. And if you purchase a new EA game within the first 30 days of its release date and can't play it due to technical reasons within EA's control, you can request a refund within 72 hours after you first launch the game instead of 24.

https://www.origin.com/can/en-us/store/great-game-guarantee

I'm having a revelation at work. Titanfall 2 is a character action game. I was doing things in the campaign I've only done in Platinum games. The feel is such perfection, that I can hit a zen and do things stylishly because the input and feedback is so good.There were times where I had to pause because I was in a total action state.

MP. I keep trying to play it, but the maps feel bland and the action feels limited. I was really wanting to like this. Got it on pc and x1 but I just find it to be pretty dull and empty so far.

I know exactly what you mean. This is my first TF experience, and the online feels incredibly cold and empty, for whatever reason. The highs are high, but I spend so much time running around not shooting anyone.

3DShovel

Anyone have any strategies for combating Legion? I feel like it's just too powerful and my health bar gets chewed to shreds.

The fact that it can shield around it's gun is just crazy as well.

I would say that the thing that saved R6S was the loyal playerbase that just stuck with it. R6S has a unique MP style where no two games are ever the same so it took a long time for it to ever get stale.

I think Titanfall 2 can do that. They need to keep it up with the good PR with DLC that is free and good content such as Frontier Defense and new Maps/Titans/Pilots

Regarding playerbase, I think that if Rainbow Six Siege recovered from a shitty launch, Titanfall 2 can as well. It would benefit from sales, free weekends, Origin Game Time, and hyping up big DLC updates. Because of its smaller 6v6 games, I wouldn't mind if the playerbase hovered around 5-10k concurrent players. It just remains to be seen if EA and Respawn will go to those lengths to bring in new players.

Keep in mind R6 really has just 2 PvP modes. Ranked and casual.

Titanfall has way too many playlists for its own good. They need to find a way to tighten up the playlists a lot.

And while R6 has a great growing community, it also has the benefit of being incredibly in its own niche of round based MP. The only alternative is Counter strike.

They also did free trials and f2p weekends. That will help TF2 too. The SP also helps where R6 lacked greatly

Rainbow 6 also had MAJOR seasonal patches that greatly improved the games mechanics. At its core, a lot of great changes made the game constantly refreshing. We're awaiting one more patch that is going to shake up the meta Novemeber

R6 hyped every season more and more, added new operators, and improved existing ones.

That road plan helped.

TF2 doesnt seem to have one at all. Itd be nice if they laid out a plan for major patches, DLC/maps.

I think even saving a titan or two for post release would have helped.

I love Siege a lot. The small playerbase was okay for that game's 2 modes. Its 5v5 anyway.

I hope TF2 prioritizes top playlists:

Hardpoint, CTF, Bounty Hunt, and skirmish sound like they should be the main modes. Maybe have a bonus playlist on the weekends for variety

As for maps, Im expecting 6, but if they add maps on a monthly basis, thatd look very appealing down the road

robotrock

Banned
I'm having a revelation at work. Titanfall 2 is a character action game. I was doing things in the campaign I've only done in Platinum games. The feel is such perfection, that I can hit a zen and do things stylishly because the input and feedback is so good.There were times where I had to pause because I was in a total action state.

Yeah that guy who said the campaign was basically "Vanquish 2" was a genius

Izuna

Banned
Anyone have any strategies for combating Legion? I feel like it's just too powerful and my health bar gets chewed to shreds.

The fact that it can shield around it's gun is just crazy as well.

I don't really know yet. Tone can't do shit against him. The meta is unknown for now.

Top Bottom