• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Corpekata

Banned
I know. Was just wondering how low or if there's somewhere I could see the actual player count. It had terrible legs on PC with the first game and I feel it's going to have even worse legs this time based on its release date.

It shows in game. When I last exited it was at like 13k.

Arrrammis

Bounty hunt is probably my favorite mode. Kill the bounty targets to get points for your team and some points for yourself, or kill opponents to steal half of their points that they have not deposited. Deposit your points at the end of the round to add them to your team's score. Rinse and repeat.

But from the looks of it, a lot of people don't quite get it yet. 90% of the bounty hunt games I play end with me and one guy on the enemy team having 2500-3500 points with the rest of our team being carried along for the ride.

robotrock

Banned
Kill stuff
Acquire money
Deposit money when banks are open

Two phases. Phase 1, kill enemies for money. Different enemies have different values (bounties).

Keep killing to collect more and more money. Dying cuts your collected money.

Phase 2: Bank opens. Rush to bank to deposit money to score.

Repeat.

Every time you repeat, it's a different wave of more valuable A.I to kill, and they have bigger bounties. Some are special, like A.I controlled Titans.
Thanks! The structure is a lot clearer to me now. Gonna give it a real shot

Zurick

Banned
I assume you played the first one. The bots aren't the same in 2. In 1 they made the maps feel alive and I think the little introductions at the start added a lot too, it made you feel like you were being dropped into a battle that's been going on for a while.

I find it hard to explain but titanfall 1 did a better job at making it feel like there's a huge battle going on. Titanfall 2 just kinda feels like the start of a battle and never really takes off before it ends.

I just hope this was a design choice and hopefully will come back for titanfall 3 and not a limitation to not using solely azure any more.

Maybe BF1 has just tainted my expectations :( Putting them out so close together seems poor

SkylineRKR

Attrition feels a lot like TDM. I don't really feel there is a war going on and I don't notice many NPC's. Bounty Hunt has more NPC enemies than Attrition. I also like Amped Hardpoint in the full game. It felt broken in the beta but here camping doesn't hand out as much as fragging.

The reason for Titanfall 1 feeling more epic in MP is because it was all it had. Part 2 has the separate campaign going on.

FeD.nL

Game feels pretty lifeless to me. Anyone else feeling that?

That´s the one thing I miss from TiF, having ships warp in overhead and do battle, indigenous creatures flying around etc. But we get that in a fantastic SP campaign so I can´t complain too much.

Loving the MP so far though. Finished the SP and it was an absolute blast. Didn´t think an fps campaign would be able to surpass Doom for me this year, but TiF2 really nails it.

SkylineRKR

I die way too quickly with Ronin, probably using him wrong. Or I encounter too many Legions because he seems to have an edge on most.

duckroll

Ending spoilers!

I was
sad in the end, but i saw the after credit scene. BT maybe? I hate cliffhangers. :D

It's not a cliffhanger. It's BT contacting Jack on his helmet. Remember when he formed the link so you could communicate across time when you phased between the past and the present? BT clearly got zapped into a different time at the end.

Noticed this last night, confirmed now though.

The team has been keeping an eye on all aspects of the game and wanted to roll out a few changes. See the below change list for updates applied to the game. This update is server side and requires no download.

Update Times:
PC: 6:45 PM PT
X1: 6:45 PM PT
PS4: 6:45 PM PT

General Changes:
Modified Attrition score limit from 300 to 500
Player counts for individual game modes are now visible upon matchmaking into specific modes

Miker

Regarding playerbase, I think that if Rainbow Six Siege recovered from a shitty launch, Titanfall 2 can as well. It would benefit from sales, free weekends, Origin Game Time, and hyping up big DLC updates. Because of its smaller 6v6 games, I wouldn't mind if the playerbase hovered around 5-10k concurrent players. It just remains to be seen if EA and Respawn will go to those lengths to bring in new players.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I die way too quickly with Ronin, probably using him wrong. Or I encounter too many Legions because he seems to have an edge on most.

Legion is an interesting Ronin matchup actually. Ronin actually destroys him up close since he is so slow and has no rear/side defense. If you're close you can dash all around, phase behind him, etc. but from far away you can't push at him at all, even with block he shreds your hp.

No honeymoon phase or exaggeration, this is the best feeling FPS I've ever played on a controller in terms of raw inputs, aiming, and movement fluidity. The slide alone puts every other FPS slide to shame, not to mention the buttery smooth wallrunning. So many smart little things done here from pre-loading slides in midair as well as pre-loading sprint no matter how you're moving, to wall clinging from any direction, etc. Gunplay is also really strong with satisfying mid-range hip firing, sprint shooting, great hit marker sounds, great reloading and weapon handling animations (<3 how you turn the weapon while crouching), and really punchy weapon sounds. Huge step up from their CoD days (I never got a chance to play the first Titanfall)

My one really big glaring question mark is map design. There are 4 maps here that are just straight up weird:

- Forwardbase Kodai + Homestead: Central base surrounded by wide open fields where pilot gameplay is uninteresting and dangerous. Predictable match flow. The grunt war at the middle of both is fun in AI modes, but everything else feels like random space.​

- Crashsite + Complex: Long and linear hallways connected to converging hot zones. Very little room for vertical escapes / firefights, and combat is funneled to simple choke points, particularly with Titans who have no room to maneuver. Honestly kind of tedious maps to move through. Also, AI are annoying to track in these because the long paths lead to slow movement and lots of dead zones.​

The other half:

- Eden is great with a very clear landmark using the track running through the center, lots of wallrunning routes, and escape paths everywhere. Easily the standout map.​
- Drydock, Exoplanet, and Black Water Canal are solid, although fairly nondescript. They allow Titanfall to be Titanfall and flow well, but don't do anything very interesting.​
- Boomtown is ok, but has revealed itself to be a lesser Black Water Canal, featuring a similar "bridge over lower level ditch" layout, but with smaller and less interesting buildings​

So idk. 1 great map, 3 solid role players, 1 "ehh whatever", and 4 "nopes". I'd really like to see a move to more dense, free flowing, vertical map design for the DLC. Long hallways and open spaces don't play well with Titanfall.

Just saw this but I agree regarding the maps as well. Eden is the best out of the set here and reminds me the most of a TF1 map. I'm really missing something like Rise from 1, which basically had parkour routes that closed in way ABOVE the action so pilots could actually be above the fight all game, which also took unique advantage of the titan eject since it shot you into an escape route.

Homestead is still, by far, my least favorite but I also think Crash Site is up there now. Map has so much shit in your way, and when titans drop you get clogged up in the lanes a lot. Map also has a crazy weird flow in Attrition, it's like it spawns pilots at the top and bottom of a hill, if they run forward it's nothing but pilots fighting. But run totally off the path and that's where the AI all spawns in.

How is the the single player campaign? I never played the first game, but a good mech game sounds really interesting right now.

It's a good campaign compared to your standard yearly FPS stuff that we see. The environmental puzzle scenarios are almost Valve-like.

Unfortunately there's not a lot of mech moments to call it a mech game, I estimate only 25% of the total campaign experience. More could have been done here, but I suppose that statement could be extended to the whole game.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Ronin is my favorite titan; I see a lot of people playing him wrong. He can completely dominate most Titans in a 1v1 scenario, if you manage to get close.

Getting close is the key. You gotta be patient and flank around the map. Flanking around a team full of titans with sword core is an amazing feeling.

Izuna

Banned
Okay, so it's on par with Wolf so far. Difficulty is pretty easy but you've given the ability to play as risk as you like with the reward of momentum.

KodaRuss

Ronin is my favorite titan; I see a lot of people playing him wrong. He can completely dominate most Titans in a 1v1 scenario, if you manage to get close.

Getting close is the key. You gotta be patient and flank around the map. Flanking around a team full of titans with sword core is an amazing feeling.

I have seen a lot of bad Ronins out there but yes I have seen a couple that just fucked my world up. Loving Ion so far and Northstar can be decent. Going to try some more out tonight

robotrock

Banned
Ending spoilers!

It's not a cliffhanger. It's BT contacting Jack on his helmet. Remember when he formed the link so you could communicate across time when you phased between the past and the present? BT clearly got zapped into a different time at the end.

TF2 campaign speculation based on severe spoilers:
When these guys worked on COD they could pick any place/time to set their game in, but with Titanfall, they only have the far future. But with all this time travel stuff they've put into this game, I could totally see Titanfall 3 being set in World War 2.

Izuna

Banned
On Master, you can get hit by a sniper but still live the shot. Respawn I love you guys for understanding ;)

Xbox One screenie:

Screenshot-Original.png

LTWheels

Had one of my best ever games as a defensive shotgunner on Amp Hardpont and game crashed on victory. First crash I've seen on ps4

Man, I really hope this game does well over the span of its life. It's really incredible. Hopefully word of mouth and dev support cancel out the negatives of its launch.

SeanR1221

This might be the surprise game of 2016 for me.

I didn't care for the beta. Then the Giant Bomb review got me interested and now I can't stop playing.

The multiplayer is great and it's easy to pull off some badass moves.

Amped Hardpoint is the shit. Love that mode.

Must have played about 6 hours last night with friends.

I need to go out and take care of some things but I really don't want to, haha. This game is just too damn fun.

Top Bottom