• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

OVDRobo

I feel like a lot of issues people have with this game when it comes to titans and skill balance stem from not playing Bounty Hunt.

Map hack is godly in Attrition because the sole point of it is killing each other and that makes knowing where everyone you need to kill is immensely powerful. There's also more camping and less point in using the mobility the game encourages through its mechanics because the purpose is to not die while racking up kills and flying or sprinting around is a great way to get shot in the back. Compare it to bounty hunt where it means almost nothing outside of lost time to eliminate an enemy pilot unless they have a decent amount of money on them, at which point it becomes a game-changing play.

Attrition works in swings as well, where it can be real tough if the enemy has 3+ titans up at one time since your only choice is to repeatedly engage the pack and feed them points, whereas in Bounty Hunt, you always have the option to break off and go find grunts to get your titan quicker, or, if you don't have much money banked, you can go and try to take out the enemy titans that are causing you trouble because you lose literally nothing when you die while dragging the enemy down to the level you're at and hopefully swinging it in your favor.

To be blunt, it feels like the game is very much balanced around bounty hunt and a lot of the other game modes are an afterthought. That's not necessarily a bad thing because bounty hunt is a really well-designed mode made to funnel intense combat into specific areas and encourage smart play and targeted strikes against high-value targets over the generic TDM anything-goes and quickest reactions wins stuff that goes on in attrition, but I can understand not wanting to be tied to a game mode that uses A.I enemies as part of its core concept, even if they are bait to something much deeper.

zou

I'm actually really interested to see how Angel City's release is going to play out. If the map is more or less the same, I think that's where the concessions Respawn made to other mechanics are going to really come to light. Poking at shieldless Titans in a level that has more tightly condensed alleys/roofs/windows to slip in and out of could be...disastrous.

They'll just make the top of the buildings out of bounds, problem solved.

Izuna

Banned
Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

;)

razzel

Much like COD, this game is all about who sees who first. Really discourages being in open areas, which makes the mobility less important.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The network thing reminds me of the Mario Kart 3DS group system. It's too bad not too many people on gaf seem to have the game. :(

But but it's nothing like cod I'm told, nothing!!

I mean, he could have said any game with a low time to kill.

Personally though I have managed to escape or kill the player shooting me quite a few times. It depends on your kit and environmental options in this game. Phase shift can get you out of a pinch, as can stim, but you have to react quickly.

MGrant

Much like COD, this game is all about who sees who first. Really discourages being in open areas, which makes the mobility less important.

Only if you run outside without any sort of situational awareness. I can zip around unharmed and get kills perfectly fine as long as I'm staying conscious of where the enemy might be, how many titans are out, where the focus is currently, etc. The TTK is low, but if you're constantly getting killed by people you don't see, that's not how the game was designed, that's just poor play.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I feel like a lot of issues people have with this game when it comes to titans and skill balance stem from not playing Bounty Hunt.

Map hack is godly in Attrition because the sole point of it is killing each other and that makes knowing where everyone you need to kill is immensely powerful. There's also more camping and less point in using the mobility the game encourages through its mechanics because the purpose is to not die while racking up kills and flying or sprinting around is a great way to get shot in the back. Compare it to bounty hunt where it means almost nothing outside of lost time to eliminate an enemy pilot unless they have a decent amount of money on them, at which point it becomes a game-changing play.

Attrition works in swings as well, where it can be real tough if the enemy has 3+ titans up at one time since your only choice is to repeatedly engage the pack and feed them points, whereas in Bounty Hunt, you always have the option to break off and go find grunts to get your titan quicker, or, if you don't have much money banked, you can go and try to take out the enemy titans that are causing you trouble because you lose literally nothing when you die while dragging the enemy down to the level you're at and hopefully swinging it in your favor.

To be blunt, it feels like the game is very much balanced around bounty hunt and a lot of the other game modes are an afterthought. That's not necessarily a bad thing because bounty hunt is a really well-designed mode made to funnel intense combat into specific areas and encourage smart play and targeted strikes against high-value targets over the generic TDM anything-goes and quickest reactions wins stuff that goes on in attrition, but I can understand not wanting to be tied to a game mode that uses A.I enemies as part of its core concept, even if they are bait to something much deeper.

I feel that some of the same things can end up applying to BH though. Map Hack specifically is still incredibly powerful there, you just need to hold onto it for the right time. Popping it when the bank wave starts puts the other team in such a shitty spot, even if nobody is even in the bank room it's very risky to even peek in, but waiting it out doesn't go too well either.

I think Map Hack is the single biggest thing they should look at for now.

Does anyone know how killing grunts in Titanfall 2's Attrition compares to the original as it concerns reducing titan build time? Takes fuckin' forever for titans to start dropping in that mode unless you go on a huge pilot killstreak right off the start. Killing multiple squads of grunts doesn't even fill half the meter usually.

Spectres also feel like they should be worth more. For the same point value and titan percentage as grunts, they take so many more bullets to kill that I usually skip out on killing AI during that stage of the match. Wouldn't 2 points per kill and 8% titan meter make more sense, given their resilience and mobility?

Still feeling that the Attrition time limit should be bumped up two minutes with the new score limit.

#attritionprobs

I think Map Hack is the single biggest thing they should look at for now.

Having it only work for the player that activates it is a simple fix that would probably balance it. That, or maybe it should only last for 5 or seconds - just enough time to get a quick and dirty sense of where everyone is, but not long enough to plan ambushes and other plays that the opposing team can't counter.

Would also be totes ok with Radar Jammer shutting down sonar-based wallhacks in general (not that Map Hack would be fine if this was the case, but more counterplay is always nice).

Izuna

Banned
Does anyone know how killing grunts in Titanfall 2's Attrition compares to the original as it concerns reducing titan build time? Takes fuckin' forever for titans to start dropping in that mode unless you go on a huge pilot killstreak right off the start. Killing multiple squads of grunts doesn't even fill half the meter usually.

Spectres also feel like they should be worth more. For the same point value and titan percentage as grunts, they take so many more bullets to kill that I usually skip out on killing AI during that stage of the match. Wouldn't 2 points per kill make more sense, given their resilience and mobility?

Still feeling that the Attrition time limit should be bumped up two minutes with the new score limit.

#attritionprobs

No... Attrition minions are worthless for building since they spawn in the middle and give like 2% per kill ;(

However, it seems like they give me more in Bounty Hunt? I dunno, I always get my Titan first wave or so but in Attrition it's like... 150 points until I get one lmao

No... Attrition minions are worthless for building since they spawn in the middle and give like 2% per kill ;(

However, it seems like they give me more in Bounty Hunt? I dunno, I always get my Titan first wave or so but in Attrition it's like... 150 points until I get one lmao

AI is worth way more titan meter in Bounty Hunt, for sure.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
so what modes are you guys mostly sticking with? Attrition is still my favorite Titanfall mode by a wide margin.

i do like Bounty Hunt more now than i did during the tech test though

so what modes are you guys mostly sticking with? Attrition is still my favorite Titanfall mode by a wide margin.

Attrition and Bounty Hunt for low stakes fun. CTF and LTS are also great, but I'm only touching that shit with a party.

Gorillaz

I just got kicked out of my 5th game for being "out of sync with the server" yet my ping was hovering around 50s and 60s which read good

Respawn, come on brehs I was on a roll with Tone while this happend.

Really liking hardpoint. map hack isn't constantly on. I agree with most here, though, map hack needs some balancing . Maybe only the user sees outlines rest of team gets you on the map? Maybe a hard counter like a signal jammer?

KorrZ

I've mostly played attrition so far since it was my favourite mode in TF1 but something feels off in this game. I think it's the maps. For the most part, I feel that the vast majority of maps do a terrible job of encouraging the fast paced movement that made the first game fun. Sure there is some of it, and it feels great but I also feel that most of the time it's more effective to camp on a roof and pick off people trying to be mobile.

Titan combat also feels so weak compared to the first game. Mixed feelings so far.

Geist-

Just had a really sweaty LTS match. It was 3 to 1 the first 4 matches, then my team had a disconnect and they won the next 2 matches. I think I did my first titanfall team carry in that final match lol.

Really liking hardpoint. map hack isn't constantly on. I agree with most here, though, map hack needs some balancing . Maybe only the user sees outlines rest of team gets you on the map? Maybe a hard counter like a signal jammer?

There's a Radar Jammer boost, but it only jams their map; outlines of pinged players are still visible. No idea why they designed it that way. When I drop a Jammer, anything they have that indicates enemy player positions should be turned off imo. Otherwise...what's the point? Waste a boost slot on something that only partially hinders them? Map Hack sure doesn't discriminate about what it shows you. You get sonar pings along with constant minimap refreshes of where they are.

My fiance really struggles on this game and I don't know what advice to give. She's average at games normally, 1.0 area KDR, sometimes a little lower or higher but sitting around the mark, but here she seems to have quite a bit of difficulty.

I love playing the game and I enjoy playing with her, so I wouldn't like to see her quit, but she finished her last two games with 0 kills in both and seemed quite unhappy. Any advice on an easy gun and or Titan she could use? The difficulty descriptions aren't very good in my opinion. Ion is not an easy Titan to play as because Ion's beam requires considerable accuracy while his primary shot has the meter management factor if you want to deal any real damage. I think Tone or Legion are probably the easiest to play? but what about pilot loadouts?

E92 M3

Incredibly fun multiplayer, but the map design inhibits quick movement. By that, I mean that it's more beneficial to sit on one rooftop and just pick people off.

Can't wait for Angel City.

Izuna

Banned
AuP8rlI.gif

Incredibly fun multiplayer, but the map design inhibits quick movement. By that, I mean that it's more beneficial to sit on one rooftop and just pick people off.

Can't wait for Angel City.

If they R2 Angel City up I'll be so angry lmao.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
My fiance really struggles on this game and I don't know what advice to give. She's average at games normally, 1.0 area KDR, sometimes a little lower or higher but sitting around the mark, but here she seems to have quite a bit of difficulty.

I love playing the game and I enjoy playing with her, so I wouldn't like to see her quit, but she finished her last two games with 0 kills in both and seemed quite unhappy. Any advice on an easy gun and or Titan she could use? The difficulty descriptions aren't very good in my opinion. Ion is not an easy Titan to play as because Ion's beam requires considerable accuracy while his primary shot has the meter management factor if you want to deal any real damage. I think Tone or Legion are probably the easiest to play? but what about pilot loadouts?

What gun is she currently using? I think the R201 or CAR are both good to start with. Charge Rifle for Anti-Titan.

Agreed on the Titan difficulty ratings though. I have no clue how Tone and Legion are both rated 3 while Ronin is 1...like what. Ronin dies so incredibly quickly and has a pretty complicated kit to utilize.

Pretty much Tone or Legion are easier/straightforward to use.

But if she wants to stick with Ion, from one newbie to another:

1) Use laser for Long range sniping
2) Use ADS splitter rifle fire for close range
3) keep half an energy meter for emergency vortex shield
4) Forget about the mines for now

R-201 is the most jack-of-all-trades weapon. It's decent at every range, with decent hipfire accuracy to boot. The Mag Launcher is likely the easiest anti-titan weapon due to its homing grenades. Pulse Blade is a helpful tactical ability, since getting the drop on enemies is super important in a game where player health is so low, though with good reflexes Stim can get you out of bad situations quickly.

Tone is the easiest titan imo. You can basically go "activate shield->fire 40mm cannon and launch missiles when lock is acquired until shield drops->back off and wait for shield to recharge->repeat". Legion is tougher, since his game relies a lot on preparation. It takes time to aim his minigun, so it helps to have it ready to go just before a fight begins. You also have to have the correct range mode selected for engagements. While he's super strong, and Smart Core is super easy to use, he still takes a fair bit of finesse imo.

Top Bottom