• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bsigg12

Xbox One. For me at this point is typical online gaming. Someone else always has the advantage. When things run smooth it's fun. The problem isn't me getting killed. Is about feeling like I have no control over the outcome. When I witness a skilled player getting kills I will be in awe. But when some dude soaks damage and then instantly kills me I get less than happy.

Yea, there was someone with a single bar connection playing on the west servers the other day and was teleporting around the map because of how he was lagging. It was really dumb.

How do we voice chat while using a pad on PC? I know you press Z on the keyboard, but is that the only way?

I was just coming in to ask this. I press Z but people still don't hear me. My mic is a blutooth headset but when I go to the recording devices menu in the taskbar I hear my mic cut on and connect but when I close that window I dont' hear nothing anymore. Also my invite friends button isn't working.

Remmy2112

I don't understand how anyone can be mad at the Smart Pistol. If it were another gun, you would probably be dead anyway, in the time it takes to lock on. Hell, even without locking on, the pistol can kill you in that time.

Yeah, it's a pretty bad gun, tbh.

Bad gun or not any other weapon that hits you gives a hit indicator pointing to the direction of the threat even if the following bullets will kill you before you can get away or return fire. The smart pistol needs a system that warns the player that they are being locked on and from what direction so they can return fire or break line of sight if they respond fast enough. The game needs this to balance out the fact it is taking away good aim as a requirement for a kill even if the lock on takes time. Beyond that the gun is fine in my book.

HPhins54

Neo Member
Trying to play on PC with a 360 controller. Is there a way to completely disable M/KB? Melee with the B button opens up my chat box. To switch to my secondary, I have to hold Y for a few seconds, and if I try to reload my secondary, it switches to my primary.

I fixed all of that by clearing the bindings, but then some other issues popped up. Using LB for stealth caused me to crouch and stealth.

Edit - Fixed it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Random stats from getting to rank 50. About to regen now.

rkytPQ8l.jpg

uTSPNwrl.jpg

Cloaked Pilot Kills is pretty surprising. It really is not hard to see, but I didn't think I got THAT many. Pilot roadkills is pretty great too, I get so many using the Stryder infinite dash.

jediyoshi

Bad gun or not any other weapon that hits you gives a hit indicator pointing to the direction of the threat even if the following bullets will kill you before you can get away or return fire. The smart pistol needs a system that warns the player that they are being locked on and from what direction so they can return fire or break line of sight if they respond fast enough. The game needs this to balance out the fact it is taking away good aim as a requirement for a kill even if the lock on takes time. Beyond that the gun is fine in my book.

You keep talking around the point people are already making. There are already concessions in place that 'balance' it out in making it just as effective as any other gun in that if any other gun were to keep their aim on you that long, you'd already be dead. It doesn't just take time to lock on, it's already a shitty gun for anything other than close range.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

It would be nigh unusable like this. You already have to be within shotty kill range in order to begin targeting, holding an invisible circle over someone for 3 seconds before you can kill. And you want to give its targets a warning so they can do, what, turn around and spam Jump Kick? For an experienced FPS player, other guns are far more effective at just about everything its capable of aside from the aim-assist.

Playing on the east asia data center is so weird. Every game it's just me with 50ms and a bunch of other guys with 170-200. My server is gonna be a ghost town once the Aussie server is up.

Jarmel

Banned
So I see some of my friends stuck at that 50 ejecting pilot kills in Gen 5. Man fuck that shit. I'm gonna boost it using the Japan West servers. Good thing you Japanese crazies don't care for this game.

I'm about to be stuck at Gen 5 too. Straight out fuck the asshole who came up with this shit. I have had 2 in roughly 5 hours. Shit is going to take me over 125 hours just for this garbage alone.

RPS37

Probably been said a million times already, but campaign is not only easy to ignore, it's hard to follow.
That being said, I screamed "Xbox record that!" at my tv like four times today.

Palmer_v1

I've created 2 google docs for people to share their Origin/Xbox GamerTag in:

PC/Origin: http://tinyurl.com/lkuc8hg

Xbox One: http://tinyurl.com/kw75uvv

Same as the BF4 spreadsheets, pm me for any corrections.

Edit: You have to refresh after you fill out the form to see your information show up on the spreadsheet.

Added myself to PC list and sent a bunch of friend requests on Origin. Game is downloading now and I should be on tomorrow.

How are you guys using the Triple Threat that makes it so good? I've used it a few times and immediately abandoned it for my regular chain gun load out. I've found it to be pretty bad against Pilots on the ground, and completely useless against Pilots in an elevated position. It was alright against Titans, I guess.

I'm probably just using it wrong.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How are you guys using the Triple Threat that makes it so good? I've used it a few times and immediately abandoned it for my regular chain gun load out. I've found it to be pretty bad against Pilots on the ground, and completely useless against Pilots in an elevated position. It was alright against Titans, I guess.

See some guys fucking around in a building. Throw some Triple Threat bombs through the window. Boom.

It's very much a close range weapon though.

For Hardpoint it's fucking hilarious. You just sit outside the hardpoint and throw Triple Threat bombs around the flag if your opponents show up.

JLeack

Banned
I've been mostly a PlayStation gamer until this gen so I have very few Xbox Live friends. Feel free to add me if you need an active teammate.

Gamertag: MrJonnyBigBoss

Rockyrock

See some guys fucking around in a building. Throw some Triple Threat bombs through the window. Boom.

It's very much a close range weapon though.

For Hardpoint it's fucking hilarious. You just sit outside the hardpoint and throw Triple Threat bombs around the flag if your opponents show up.

I love the triple threat.

its best when used on tight CQB maps though. I usually spray my shots on the ground in a pool-like pattern rather than going for direct hits.

Its amazing when people are inside buildings you can't normally access while in a titan and you just fire a couple shots through the window and watch the points rack up on your screen.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So here's how this went down, I heard of Titanfall and when I heard out it was coming out on PC I figured I'd get it on PC when it came out. So I did that and beyond that I hadn't really been following it like you guys. It sounded cool but I think I'd seen a trailer maybe once or twice. Didn't know all that much about it. Well just did the training simulation and just the core controls are so fucking good and unlike anything I would have expected, all of the other elements work in service to this obviously incredible accomplishment in fluent FPS control over huge areas both horizontally and vertically. Just after that little teeny morsel of gameplay I can tell that with both mouse and keyboard or gamepad it's a triumph. I didn't expect to be thinking back on Mirror's Edge skills to gauge jump distances and plan linked runs but I damn well did. Plus it has the most satisfying double-jump in recent history. So basically, I had the "general consumer" effect for this release, just kind of bought it cause it was coming out and didn't follow it closely beforehand. And people will be pretty blown away by this shit.

legacyzero

Banned
But that would make the gun just another gun. Only less formidable.

Camp Lo

Banned
So here's how this went down, I heard of Titanfall and when I heard out it was coming out on PC I figured I'd get it on PC when it came out. So I did that and beyond that I hadn't really been following it like you guys. It sounded cool but I think I'd seen a trailer maybe once or twice. Didn't know all that much about it. Well just did the training simulation and just the core controls are so fucking good and unlike anything I would have expected, all of the other elements work in service to this obviously incredible accomplishment in fluent FPS control over huge areas both horizontally and vertically. Just after that little teeny morsel of gameplay I can tell that with both mouse and keyboard or gamepad it's a triumph. I didn't expect to be thinking back on Mirror's Edge skills to gauge jump distances and plan linked runs but I damn well did. Plus it has the most satisfying double-jump in recent history. So basically, I had the "general consumer" effect for this release, just kind of bought it cause it was coming out and didn't follow it closely beforehand. And people will be pretty blown away by this shit.

58d19469_the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif

Kyne

added most people from the list. You can only have 9 pending at a time so when they clear up I'll add the rest.

I think this weekend we were gonna try and get the campaign cleared?

We played with that version. It is a very different weapon, more like a DoT (damage over time). It has its own virtues but it doesn't serve the same goal of rewarding you for tracking a target without being detected.

If you expressed the effectiveness of the smart pistol on a graph, where one axis is the effectiveness of the weapon and the other is player skill, you would find that at lower player skills, the smart pistol provides a large benefit, but at higher skills, it caps out almost completely and falls behind other weapons.

The "detected" version does not provide as big an effectiveness increase, because an aware player is much harder to keep under the reticle.

Makes sense. Maybe it's just me raging because I died. :)

Glad to see you guys thought it through.

Tokubetsu

With pilots you have to get lucky/trap them inside a closed space. Against titans, get right up to them change the dispenser to vertical (zoom in) and fire. Otherwise spam at titans. As long as two balls hit you'll be doing decent damage.

We played with that version. It is a very different weapon, more like a DoT (damage over time). It has its own virtues but it doesn't serve the same goal of rewarding you for tracking a target without being detected.

If you expressed the effectiveness of the smart pistol on a graph, where one axis is the effectiveness of the weapon and the other is player skill, you would find that at lower player skills, the smart pistol provides a large benefit, but at higher skills, it caps out almost completely and falls behind other weapons.

The "detected" version does not provide as big an effectiveness increase, because an aware player is much harder to keep under the reticle.

Off topic, but did you guys/gals consider trying to make it so that we can phase through friendly players, but not enemies (like in Left 4 Dead)? I have been stuck in doorways and hallways more than once because of somebody who won't move.

Tokubetsu

Kinda over the triple threat now though. My new titan troll method of choice is:

Step 1: Rodeo titan
Step 2: Dump both satchel charges onto Titan
Step 3: Wait for the pilot is leaving the cockpit sound
Step 4: Jump off and blow it

You won't kill the titan unless it's already severely damaged but you're guaranteed to kill the pilot, every time.

Topper

Anyone having issues on xbone? I'm stuck at Data Center: Searching, it never finds any data centers not sure what to do.

edit: Guess post above might be why.

Hurley

Triple Threat + extended mag on the Stryder is pretty awesome, just get in close and dash around them while unloading those grenades.

SolidC213

Is there a game mode where there are no bots? I don't feel like I can take the competitive side of this game seriously if there is not.

Probably just need more time with the game but I am the kind of player that if I see something I am going to try and kill it. If I am going to waste my time to ADS to check it out why wouldn't I kill the thing? That is what I hate about having bots in a game with real players. They are a distraction to me and I feel like a ton of my deaths come from me killing grunts and real people coming from behind and kill me.

So far I would give it a 7. Fun but I would like a "real" players only mode if there is not one.

Animator

Is there a game mode where there are no bots? I don't feel like I can take the competitive side of this game seriously if there is not.

Probably just need more time with the game but I am the kind of player that if I see something I am going to try and kill it. If I am going to waste my time to ADS to check it out why wouldn't I kill the thing? That is what I hate about having bots in a game with real players. They are a distraction to me and I feel like a ton of my deaths come from me killing grunts and real people coming from behind and kill me.

So far I would give it a 7. Fun but I would like a "real" players only mode if there is not one.

That is the point of bots. They are a risk/reward. You can kill them and get reduction on your titanfall timer and or you can ignore them and not give your position away. They don't make the game any less "competitive" quite the opposite imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom