• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU Ending or: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the End

JusDoIt

How can people hate the ending? Like.... how?

I would've done the same thing Joel did. The Fireflies didn't give Ellie any say in what was happening and you can find evidence of their experiments going wrong.

How can people think sacrificing Ellie would be the "good" ending?

I'm saying. You would have to be legit inhuman, man. I really don't get it. People confuse the rational thing with the right thing too much.

The worst is knowing that it would've worked.

Next time is the charm, I suppose?

big-e-laugh.gif

The world has gone to shit for 20 years. No.

Raonak

Banned
I didn't like the choice joel made, but thats what made it such a powerful ending.

Joel made a choice which wouldn't make total sense to the player,
but is the obvious choice for him.

The whole game was telegraphing the ending.
How he already lost a daughter. He became a jaded smuggler. Lost Tess. The mirrored situation with henry, when killed himself when his little brother turned.
How he didn't want to become attached to ellie.

Ellie was the only thing he had left in the world. Of course he would not let her die.

Naughty Dog did an excellent job playing around with the fact it's an interactive medium by removing the interactivity in the ending. you have no choice. You are not joel. you are merely a passenger.

Veelk

Banned
The amount of expertise required to be a surgeon (and if memory serves, a brain surgeon) and the amount of expertise required to be a soldier are not equivalent. I would've avoided killing the surgeon if possible simply due to my personal interest in keeping as many people with that skill set alive who can teach others. It's not about his intent or crimes in my eyes, it's about pragmatism. As for sneaking around the soldiers, I'm fully aware I need to get out after I get Ellie. Every soldier I sneak around is a soldier there on my way out. They picked up guns for a cause, the surgeon picked up a scalpel. They needed to be killed, the surgeon I would have shot in the leg.

I don't think the Fireflies are necessarily evil, I think they are misguided in an "ends justify the means' type of way - and I think they are totally wrong regarding their odds of producing a cure at the cost of executing an innocent.

It seems like an inconsistency to want to save Ellie out of a sense of morality when the pragmatic option (as the game frames it) is to let her die to save the hundreds of thousands the vaccine would save while saying the doctors who were eager to commit the sin and are most complicit in their immorality should be spared out of pragmaticism. While also ignoring that a doctor who makes what are realistically improbable predictions (if that's how you choose to frame their evaluation of finding a vaccine) would be good enough at their job to think they are worth keeping around. I mean, you're talking about guys who legitimately don't seem to understand how vaccines work, if they are made in the same way they are in real life. What kind of doctor or surgean is that? (and if they are not made in the universe of TLoU as they are in real life, the excuse of morality is inconsistent with your sense of pragmaticism).

BTW, just so you know, shooting a person in the leg is likely to kill them, since we have arteries in there and it's likely you'll just bleed out.

Servbot24

Banned
How can people hate the ending? Like.... how?

I would've done the same thing Joel did. The Fireflies didn't give Ellie any say in what was happening and you can find evidence of their experiments going wrong.

How can people think sacrificing Ellie would be the "good" ending?
I hated Joel at the end, he's honestly a complete scumbag to me, but that majorly plays into why I thought the ending was so poigniant and why I loved it so much.

Venture

This particular sentiment is something that always puzzles me. People always refer to the doctors as people who they would have spared for some reason, even if they have no problem killing soldiers (who could be snuck around) and Marlene (who definitely wasn't a threat).

It's odd because the doctors make the same moral choice that all the other parties of the Fireflies. In fact, they are arguably the party most responsible for the decision to kill Ellie since they are the ones who inform Marlene that, based on their expertise, killing Ellie is the only way to bring about the cure. Marlene was relying on their expertise to make an informed decision...which could be either reliable or not. The likelihood of a vaccine that is iffy if you can look at it realistically, but since this is a game with some outlandish stuff despite the heavy realism, so it's perfectly possible that in the universe of LoU, they were absolutely right that they could have gotten a cure by killing her. But regardless, they're the ones who give Marlene the situation as it is, and if you are viewing it 'realistically', then they're insane for advising their leader to kill off the only potential cure to the virus instead of doing experimentation with her while alive.

The doctors in the room were the source advocates of murdering a little girl. The soldier's defended their station, Marlene ordered it, but they were the ones who were both willing and eager to do it. And when Joel was in the room, the only doctor who was standing between Joel and Ellie was an immovable obstacle who would kill Joel should he get near.

Yet it's Marlene and the Soldier's who were the expedible ones, while the doctors should have been spared? Logically, it doesn't make much sense to me why killing the former is acceptable while the latter is immoral. I personally think the moral choice was to have Ellie murdered, as much as killed me, since I have no reason to doubt that the doctors were telling the truth to the best of their ability, but if you think it was right to save Ellie and that the Fireflies were making a morally wrong choice, I don't understand how the doctors are exempt from that to the point that you'd want to spare them, while saying Joel was right to kill Marlene despite neutralizing her as a threat (regardless of what Joel says, 'realistically', Marlene was not gonna follow them in her condition and the fireflies who were able bodies would be hunting them down regardless of whether he killed marlene)
Just one point about Marlene. Granted she didn't know Joel very well, but she was the only one there who knew anything at all about him and she knew Ellie very well. Killing her would make it much more difficult for the Fireflies to track them down.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
In this age of meaningless self-insert characters, the shock of Joel escaping the control of the player was great.
Goddamn great.
It's a genius twist.

paulc316

Banned
Here's how I stopped worrying about the ending without needing to get so deep;

It's just a videogame, who cares?

Seriously can't understand why people get so wrapped up in it tbh.

theWB27

Joel took away her right to choose just as much as the fireflies would have.

I don't get why people keep trying to excuse the shit man Joel is.

Kalentan

Props to ND, almost 4 years after release, the ending still brings a lot of discussion everytime is mentioned (not only here, even irl at my workplace lol)

I remember a thread, I think maybe less than a year or a year after it's release. It was about how I think people considered it a modern classic and there was a few arguing that they didn't expect anyone to even be talking about the game all that much in a few years at most. Saying that classics are always talked about.

Yet regardless if you think it's a modern classic... We get TLOU ending topics like every other month. It's a game that's still fun to discuss and so on... Granted it's only going to be 4 years this year but even then. I can't think of other games that still have people talking about their endings. Hell, depending on how TLOU P2 treats the ending of TLOU, we may still be talking about it after P2 has come out!

Veelk

Banned
Just one point about Marlene. Granted she didn't know Joel very well, but she was the only one there who knew anything at all about him and she knew Ellie very well. Killing her would make it much more difficult for the Fireflies to track them down.

No, it wouldn't. That's insane. She's only known Joel with 2 couple minute long encounters, and the only thing their third encounter taught her about him is that he is apparently the Terminator. What in the world does she know about Joel that would lead her to him after he runs away that another person wouldn't understand? How can she possibly follow him with a gut shot?

The only way this makes sense is if Marlene has no second in command to take charge once she's gone so there is a more disorder in the organization before they make a decision, which is improbable to the point of virtual impossibility. In a hostile world, one of the first things you establish in your militant order is a chain of command so everyone knows who to report to. And the first decision that the new leader would make is "Go after that guy and Ellie, they just stole a car and we know the city better than they do".

The outcome should be the same regardless of whether or not he kills Marlene. He doesn't even buy time, since it's not like Marlene can make the other fireflies come even faster to her, and he actually wastes precious seconds executing her when he could have used that time to run.

MrMatt555

I love the way it ended. Fitting end for both characters. I almost don't want a sequel considering the ending is so perfect. Still, though. I trust ND to continue the story of these two characters while also respecting the way the first game ends.

It seems like an inconsistency to want to save Ellie out of a sense of morality when the pragmatic option (as the game frames it) is to let her die to save the hundreds of thousands the vaccine would save while saying the doctors who commit are most complicit in their immorality should be spared out of pragmaticism. While also ignoring that a doctor who makes what are realistically improbable predictions (if that's how you choose to frame their evaluation of finding a vaccine) would be good enough at their job to think they are worth keeping around.

BTW, just so you know, shooting a person in the leg is likely to kill them, since we have arteries in there and it's likely you'll just bleed out.

I don't know that the fact he makes (in my opinion) terrible predictions about his odds of coming up with a miracle means he isn't accomplished at the actual act of surgery.

As I've said, to my mind there is so little chance that they can synthesize, manufacture and disperse a vaccine as to be totally negligible. It's a non-factor to my mind. I'll repost something I wrote about this topic years ago:

---

Humanity is continuing, the situation is bleak but I didn't see anything to indicate it isn't sustaining itself. Even in the ideal situation Ellie dies and somehow those three doctors with inadequate facilities can make progress towards a vaccine.

I've never understood what the next step is supposed to be. The amount of research required would be immense. Even supposing they DO find some miracle compound that can work as a vaccine which is easily identifiable... how do they manufacture it? I don't really see a mass production as feasible with the facilities as they are. Let alone the supply problems with whatever components are required

Let say they overcome that hurdle as well and manage to mass produce a vaccine. How do you distribute it? Hunters aren't going to suddenly stop what they are doing because the Fireflies have a vaccine and say we should all play nice now. The majority of humanity has reverted into an almost feral state - they aren't just going to come back.

Maybe they manage to smuggle it straight into the major remaining quarantine zones (we never even find out how many are remaining). I highly doubt the military is going to relax their grip on people at this point. Power corrupts, and they have absolute power.

Let's say the military is overcome with benevolence. It seems fairly few zones are still standing (speculation to be sure but it seems the most likely situation to me) but even if there are many. What's the next step? How, with little functional modern infrastructure, do you reestablish anything resembling a functioning government? How do you even gather the survivors, and if you do, how do you feed them until sustainability (ideally a farming season) can be achieved?

In the end, even if all the improbable situations required to produce and distribute this vaccine all come to be, I think you're left with a world of small colonies of survivors eking out a meager life in a very hostile world. We already have that. Clickers, runners and bloaters will still be out there, and they are going to kill you if they see you. I've yet to see the clicker who bit me once non-fatally and moved on. To me, immunity to spores and non-fatal bites isn't going to "save humanity".

I believe the moral right was exactly what occured.

---

As for the doctor surviving a leg shot - the man held a knife up and threatened to use it if I got near. I suspect the nurses/doctors in the room (whichever they were) would have a decent chance of saving him from a leg shot, and an artery hit is far from guaranteed. Even if it happened to kill him, I don't see a better choice.

Joel took away her right to choose just as much as the fireflies would have.

I don't get why people keep trying to excuse the shit man Joel is.

This is the real scumbag move. The fact that Joel lies about what happened in order to maintain what he has.

The fact that he got her the hell out of there and killed everything though? That's what people hate? Get outta my face with that. The Fireflies were out of bounds with the way they were handling the situation. Kill everyone Joel, GO.

Griss

The ending is what made it a masterpiece, imo. I hated it so much, but even as I was experiencing it I was thinking... 'This is horrible... and utterly brilliant.'

The game leads you to believe so strongly that it's all heading for the cliched goodbye and sacrifice, but when it swerves in the other direction you can look back and see that the game put in the thematic work all the way from the start to make the ending work, to make it make sense.

It's somehow more devastating than if Ellie had died, and that's an amazing thing.

As much as I believed it, Joel was not me and I was not Joel. The outcome of the Fall chapter was not due to anything I accomplished. I merely pressed the buttons required to watch the scene play out. Ellie's fate was never in my hands, nor was Joel's. I could not make decisions for Joel. I could not change Joel's views nor his thoughts. I was not controlling Joel's outcomes and actions through my Dual Shock but instead Naughty Dog was controlling my actions and outcomes through their writing and directing.

Naughty Dog presented me their story in a way only this medium can provide. I was the player character being pushed to move forward and complete objectives, not Joel. Joel was merely a vessel in which they used to tell their own story to be presented to me in their own way. Me disagreeing and hating the outcome and Joel's choices is and was part of that experience. The fact that I can come to NeoGAF and tell people the ways this ending made me feel, to have you all soon now tell me that it made them feel completely opposite; that's what makes this ending so good. It's deep with a definitive ending that is also up for interpretation. It sends ripples back in time throughout the entire path we have all walked through in The Last of Us that we make reflect on all that has happened and what it all means, while setting our eyes to the future. Most importantly it touches us deeply on our own views and morals and helps us express ourselves to each other.

Man, if only more gamers would come to this realisation the industry and this forum would be better places. Props to you for that and for a great OP.

EDIT: After initialing thinking Joel was unjustifiable, discussing things online really did make me believe that there are two sides to the argument. He has seen that 'authorities' who claim to know what they are doing often have no idea, and don't act in the public good. There is no concrete evidence to believe the Fireflies can cure the disease. They can't even successfully keep a monkey in a cage. Ellie is asleep and never consents to her death - this is unacceptable. Add it all up and there are a lot of reasons to justify Joel's actions, even if at the time I certainly thought they were abhorrent and wrong.

nicanica

I started reading the OP thinking: "FINALLY, this will be the thing I read that changes my mind."

Sorry OP.
Good try.

Got pulled out of the game immersion when the first surgeon becomes a janky invisible wall in the game.

pezzie

Probably the most memorable video game ending I have ever seen.

That "okay", I was like oh shiiii.... she knows!

I can't wait for TLoU2 to see if there's any payoff built up out of this.

theWB27

This is the real scumbag move. The fact that Joel lies about what happened in order to maintain what he has.

The fact that he got her the hell out of there and killed everything though? That's what people hate? Get outta my face with that. The Fireflies were out of bounds. Kill everyone Joel, GO.

I don't mind what he did...but like you said he should have been straight up about it. To me...his actions were for him moreso than Ellie.

If you listen/pick up all the audio files you learn that they have done things to other people that didn't accomplish anything. Also everyone involved with the fireflies are pretty much assholes.

http://thelastofus.wikia.com/wiki/Surgeon's_Recorder

"The contents of this particular recorder shed some light on Joel's story to Ellie in the game's epilogue. The surgeon mentions "past cases", which essentially means that they have experimented on other people who were infected but were unable to find a cure, but notes that Ellie's immunity may be the key to creating a vaccine. "

yup, i had no regrets i know i did the right thing.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't think the ending is about saving Ellie vs saving humanity. It's about Joel choosing to selfishly fill the gap in his heart left by his daughter's death. Joel was not saving Ellie, Joel was saving Joel. And he sacrificed everyone to do that. He's a rare villain that is truly sympathetic.

pantsmith

So, big picture. The three main characters by the end are Joel, Ellie, and Marlene.

Joel is desperate to be the father he could not be at the beginning of the game and save his daughter. (Notice how the beginning and end play off of eachother?)

Ellie is desperate to make her life, the lives of others (Tess, Riley, Sam, etc), and the journey you've been on together mean something.

Marlene (as we discover through audiologs) is desperate to make the sacrifices and faith of her friends, family, and the Fireflies mean something, even above the life of an innocent girl. The Fireflies have sacrificed so much and giving them Ellie, even if she doesnt lead to a cure, validates their losses and their faith.

Each character goes in true to themselves and acts in what they believe are their own best interests (though you could argue Joel is acting in Ellie's too, and doesnt believe she should make the call).

Everyone goes into the finale trying their hardest to find meaning in the pain and suffering they've endured, and the fact that theyre even alive after the fall of civilation. Trying to justify their life and their journey and their own existence.

"It cant be for nothing"

On a meta level, the above quote is relevant to all post apocalyptic fiction. Humanity seeks to justify its continued survival and push onward in the face of extinction, because the alternative is that it was all for nothing.

Perfect ending.

The ending made the game legendary. We would not be taking about it years later if it was a "humanity was cured and everybody lived happily ever after" ending

theWB27

I don't think the ending is about saving Ellie vs saving humanity. It's about Joel choosing to selfishly fill the gap in his heart left by his daughter's death. Joel was not saving Ellie, Joel was saving Joel. And he sacrificed everyone to do that. He's a rare villain that is truly sympathetic.

There are people who truly believe the opposite of this and it baffles me.

Griss

Probably the most memorable video game ending I have ever seen.

That "okay", I was like oh shiiii.... she knows!

I can't wait for TLoU2 to see if there's any payoff built up out of this.

I never saw that 'okay' as indicating that she knows what happened. I saw it as indicating that she's cool with not knowing. She knows he's lying, but not about what... and she says "I'm okay with that. Let's press on."

It's sad and yet real. She loves him like family at that point. But it drives home the point that Joel has defeated Ellie's idealist nature. He has gained something (newfound purpose, a surrogate daughter), but Ellie has lost her purpose and some of her will.

JusDoIt

Saving Ellie out of genuine care is not mutually exclusive with his need to not see another child he loves die.

pantsmith

There are people who truly believe the opposite of this and it baffles me.

You could argue both, as I certaintly would.

Joel is fucked up and crazy, and by the ending desperately trying to seal a wound he tried most of the game to keep from re-opening (the loss of his daughter).

With that said, his love is true. Dude fights with dad strength to the nth degree because he cares about Ellie more than anything else.

Venture

No, it wouldn't. That's insane. She's only known Joel with 2 couple minute long encounters, and the only thing their third encounter taught her about him is that he is apparently the Terminator. What in the world does she know about Joel that would lead her to him after he runs away that another person wouldn't understand? How can she possibly follow him with a gut shot?

The only way this makes sense is if Marlene has no second in command to take charge once she's gone so there is a more disorder in the organization before they make a decision, which is improbable to the point of virtual impossibility. In a hostile world, one of the first things you establish in your militant order is a chain of command so everyone knows who to report to. And the first decision that the new leader would make is "Go after that guy and Ellie, they just stole a car and we know the city better than they do".

The outcome should be the same regardless of whether or not he kills Marlene. He doesn't even buy time, since it's not like Marlene can make the other fireflies come even faster to her, and he actually wastes precious seconds executing her when he could have used that time to run.
She knows where Joel is from, she knows some of the people he associated with. She may have even known Joel's brother from his time in the Fireflies. With her connections in Boston she would most likely have an easier time tracking him down then someone who know absolutely nothing about him.

The fact that the first thing the doctors wanted to do to Ellie was kill her kind of shows they had no idea what they were doing

They don't want to run tests on a living being? Trial how her living body reacts to the virus? I mean experimentation may have been even worse for Ellie but it wouldn't have shown a total level of incompetence

After playing LISA: The Painful, I've become somewhat more sympathetic to Joel's plight. I better understand the emotional argument that is in his favor. He would rather throw away the hope of all of humanity before he lost another kid. "Fuck em" is a perfectly fine rationale.

At the same time, my interest in the sequel is primarily how their relationship grows, or crumbles based on how Ellie deals with an individual who thinks like that. How will he deal with her possible and very probable resentment? So yeah, it's a good ending.

JusDoIt

After playing LISA: The Painful, I've become somewhat more sympathetic to Joel's plight. I better understand the emotional argument that is in his favor. He would rather throw away the hope of all of humanity before he lost another kid. "Fuck em" is a perfectly fine rationale.

At the same time, my interest in the sequel is primarily how their relationship grows, or crumbles based on how Ellie deals with an individual who thinks like that. How will he deal with her possible and very probable resentment? So yeah, it's a good ending.

This is my hope for the sequel too. An exploration of how Ellie reconciles her love for Joel with his betrayal of her trust and her survivor's guilt.

theWB27

You could argue both, as I certaintly would.

Joel is fucked up and crazy, and by the ending desperately trying to seal a wound he tried most of the game to keep from re-opening (the loss of his daughter).

With that said, his love is true. Dude fights with dad strength to the nth degree because he cares about Ellie more than anything else.

Just shows you how selfish his decision was though. I love talking about this though : )

Veelk

Banned
Humanity is continuing, the situation is bleak but I didn't see anything to indicate it isn't sustaining itself. Even in the ideal situation Ellie dies and somehow those three doctors with inadequate facilities can make progress towards a vaccine.

I've never understood what the next step is supposed to be. The amount of research required would be immense. Even supposing they DO find some miracle compound that can work as a vaccine which is easily identifiable... how do they manufacture it? I don't really see a mass production as feasible with the facilities as they are. Let alone the supply problems with whatever components are required

Sorry, but you're making up problems you have no evidence to prove exist. Lets say that science works differently in TLoU universe and they can produce it rather easily. I mean, it's not like wounds are depicted realistically, with Joel up and about at full ability only hours after taking some medicine after however many days of being bedridden after having an iron bar pierce his side. If that's possible, it's not too out there that the doctors are right and they can just whip up a vaccine with ellies brain like making scrabbled eggs.

And as far as the fireflies go, same thing. You have no idea what resources they have or don't have at their disposal. Or, even better, how do you know that once they have found a cure, other factions wouldn't offer their own resources in hopes of getting that cure? Humanity fell apart because it lost hope. It could fuck it up now that they recieved it again, but it's not an inevitability. Maybe the leaders of the factions see the opportunity they have to save the world and just give the fireflies what they need. I'm not saying they'll all hold hands and kumbaya, but they are under threat of extinction unless the vaccine gets made. It's possible they'll work together just for that part alone.

Let say they overcome that hurdle as well and manage to mass produce a vaccine. How do you distribute it? Hunters aren't going to suddenly stop what they are doing because the Fireflies have a vaccine and say we should all play nice now. The majority of humanity has reverted into an almost feral state - they aren't just going to come back.

Maybe they manage to smuggle it straight into the major remaining quarantine zones (we never even find out how many are remaining). I highly doubt the military is going to relax their grip on people at this point. Power corrupts, and they have absolute power.

Who cares? The argument you seem to be making now here is "We can't make people not be shitty, so whats the point?" Lets go with your scenerio, which frankly isn't unlikely. The world has been operating in a different way for 40 years and it will take generations to adjust in order for people to become somewhat civilized again.

So what? So we have a totalitarian regime for a couple centuries or however long while hunters continue being feralistic tribes. It's not a perfect societal existence, but all it means is that humanity just has to retread it's steps from where it used to be. We had totalitarian regimes aplenty, we're still going strong.

The point of the vaccine isn't to fix all of humanity's darker urges, it's to open the door to being rebuilt or atleast remove the possibility of extinction. That's it's only purpose, make it so humanity as a whole doesn't go extinct. If that results in the tyranny of one faction or another, well, that sucks, but that's humanity for you. It's not good, but it's not a threat to humanity, because tyrants are humans as much as the people they're oppressing. No matter how shitty things become, there is no threat to us as a species from ourselves. The virus is, however. I never expected the vaccine to be a magic fix for shitty people, just one that makes it so it's no longer afraid to retake the land it lost to the new dominant species.

Let's say the military is overcome with benevolence. It seems fairly few zones are still standing (speculation to be sure but it seems the most likely situation to me) but even if there are many. What's the next step? How, with little functional modern infrastructure, do you reestablish anything resembling a functioning government? How do you even gather the survivors, and if you do, how do you feed them until sustainability (ideally a farming season) can be achieved?

In the end, even if all the improbable situations required to produce and distribute this vaccine all come to be, I think you're left with a world of small colonies of survivors eking out a meager life in a very hostile world. We already have that. Clickers, runners and bloaters will still be out there, and they are going to kill you if they see you. I've yet to see the clicker who bit me once non-fatally and moved on. To me, immunity to spores and non-fatal bites isn't going to "save humanity".

Again, these are potential problems you have no evidence that even exist, except more unlikely. Having the resources to create, manufacture, and distribute the medicine feels atleast somewhat realistic, since not many people know how to make medicine. But agriculture? That's relatively easy. There is no reason to think humanity doesn't have the resources to rebuild, because the only reason we are ever given why we can't go out into the open land is because "There be zombies"

If we can remove the threat of infection, you just need some decent police gear and all but the bloaters can't do shit to an armored group. The main threat lies in the fact that a single wound, however small, kills and then replenishes their number. Once you get rid of that, the zombies aren't a real threat. It doesn't matter how they don't give up trying to bite you if you have a decent set of riot gear protecting you. Combine that with some guns and ammunition, as well as a squad to watch your back, the zombies don't have a chance.

And once you do that, it's just a matter of making progress in terms of land use and establishing a government. And when I say that, I don't meant a benevolent government. Again, it's perfectly possible that we are looking at a militaristic totalitarian regime. That's fine. People will live under martial law for a couple generations, maybe they'll slowly dial back the fascism, or maybe it will take another bloody revolution. Again, that all sucks, but it's not a threat to humanity and it's how things have basically progressed for all recorded history of humanity. It's not good, but it's perfectly normal.

She knows where Joel is from, she knows some of the people he associated with. She may have even known Joel's brother from his time in the Fireflies. With her connections in Boston she would most likely have an easier time tracking him down then someone who know absolutely nothing about him.

Okay. Think about what your saying here.

You're suggesting that, to track joel she is going to go to Boston from Salt Lake City, which is over 2000 miles away on the flimsy possibility that Joel is stupid enough to go somewhere that she could predict from talking to people he knows. Joel is unlikely to be going anywhere in particular, or if he is, it's probably unlikely to be somewhere that he knew he was known to go. He's effectively in hiding. He's not going anywhere where he is going to be recognized. There's no evidence that Marlene even knows Joel's brother, or do you think all fireflies know each other?

It's nothing short of ridiculous. Unless you're suggesting that Marlene is telepathic, she knows nothing about Joel that a complete stranger wouldn't. Even if what you said was true, the time it'd take to get to boston and then get back would give Joel such a head start that it wouldn't matter what information she got. THe only chance the fireflies had of realistically catching up to them is immediately, and they were going to try to do that regardless of whose in charge.

RBIYF

Neo Member
The Last of Us Ending has done something that no other game ending has done for me, it managed to be an ending I disliked as I first watched it, but then after the credits rolled and I took it all in and really thought about it and reflected on the journey the game had brought me on, I realized the ending was perfect and I loved it.

This was an ending that was brave enough to go against the expected trope of the hero saving the day, more so, it made me realize that I had been so ingrained to expect a hero's ending in games that I initially got upset on the rare occasion when I didn't receive it, despite the ending being more fitting to the story, the character of Joel and the game world.

Also, when I thought about it some more, in addition to the ending fitting Joel's personality which could be looked as as being purely self-serving, I realized that Joel is a product of that world and that it's a world that doesn't deserve to be saved, or rather, the majority of people that Joel and Eli encounter are past saving....except for one (Tommy's community), and ironically it's the only community that despite the odds has learned to live civilly. Basically, the one community Joel and Eli encounter who still have enough humanity to be most deserving of a cure happens to be the same group that has no desire of coveting it or taking advantage of Joel and Eli, since it's a group that has managed to carve out a successful community where everyone works together and looks out for each other in spite of the horrific world they live in. Even after learning the secret Tommy is uninterested in taking advantage of them and instead sends them on their way with fresh horses and supplies. Tommy's community shows that the better, more cooperative and more humane parts of humanity manages to survive regardless, just in seclusion.....it's actually those that are the most corrupt and power-hungry who are aggressively searching for the cure, and only for reasons of acquiring power over others.

rhythm

Neo Member
I don't have any kids (yet), but as someone who has also felt the pain of losing a loved one multiple times, I loved every bit of that ending. I killed every single firefly I could on my way to that operating room and I felt no remorse killing those doctors. And I think what makes this ending even stronger is when you think about Joel's relationship to Tess. In the first half of the game, she was a huge reason why he decided to do this. He didnt want her sacrifice to be for naught, but that ending obviously goes against everything she believed in. By the end Ellie meant a whole lot more to Joel than Tess ever did. Thinking about that really got to me. That's when you realize just how much Joel grew to love Ellie by the end of the game.

Servbot24

Banned
You don't feel there was any genuine bonding between Ellie and Joel throughout the entire campaign?
There definitely was, but bonding happens for different reasons for different people, and also can happen on multiple levels of a character's emotional terrain at once.

Chris_C

It always bugs me that people are upset that Joel ignored Ellie's choice, and I get that. But I also get Joel and why he did that. Yeah, it should have been her choice, and what he did was super selfish and I get that. But man, unless you've felt that kind of loss before in your life, you never really can get why he did it. To me, it wasn't so much a choice between Ellie or the world as much as living and dying. In the ending where players get the choice, I don't think they realize Joel kills himself a moment later. Because that kind of pain isn't survivable twice.

Agreed. I think "the greater good" point of view is all well and good in theory, but I'm not sure many fathers would be willing to let their child die for it, regardless of whether or not the child wanted it.

The game opens with Joel losing his daughter, and it very obviously breaks him as a person. I can't see how he'd let that happen a second time if it was within his power to prevent it.

I actually thought this was a happy ending, even if it was dark. We don't see what happened to the world because of Joel's decision. We don't see, meet or get to know the folks who deserve to be saved. I know Ellie, she deserves to be saved because I love her.

Round 2 of this, ending sucks, Joel sucks, and the ending shits all over Ellie removing her redeming qualities when she became Joels forced surrogate daughter.

Before the "its not black and white" and "you care so much it had an impact on you" and last but not least "your supposed to hate Joel" crowd I get that aspect and still hate the ending yes that's possible.

Only thing good about the ending is now I wonder how if at all they are going to salvage Ellie as a character in TLOU2

Sorry, but you're making up problems you have no evidence to prove exist. Lets say that science works differently in TLoU universe and they can produce it rather easily. I mean, it's not like wounds are depicted realistically, with Joel up and about at full ability only hours after taking some medicine after however many days of being bedridden after having an iron bar pierce his side. Similarly, how do you know they don't have the resources to rebuild?

If we're starting from the viewpoint that "science works differently" to that degree the conversation becomes meaningless and I'll revert to what I said on page 1, morality is irrelevant here. Joel does what he does because he loves her as a daughter and is a broken man in a broken world. That said I'll argue the point about that Joel's recovery supports your view here. He was given injections of antibiotics directly to the site of infection, and doesn't wake until the next next day (and in a clearly still injured state).

As far as we can tell, the only reason humanity doesn't rule the land is because the zombies roam it. If we can remove the threat of infection, you just need some decent police gear and all but the bloaters can't do shit to an armed riot squad. The main threat lies in the fact that a single wound, however small, kills. Once you get rid of that, the zombies aren't a real threat. Once they've been removed, there's no reason to think they can't retake the land they lost Or, even better, how do you know that once they have found a cure, other factions wouldn't offer their own resources in hopes of getting that cure? Humanity fell apart because it lost hope. It could fuck it up now that they recieved it again, but it's not an inevitability. Maybe the leaders of the factions see the opportunity they have to save the world and just give the fireflies what they need. I'm not saying they'll all hold hands and kumbaya, but they are under threat of extinction unless the vaccine gets made. It's possible they'll work together just for that part alone.

"Bloaters" as in multiple would annihilate a riot squad IMO. And beyond that I'm basing assumptions on the fact we have a "zombie" (close enough) apocalypse scenario that's gone on 20 years. I dispute your claim that "once we get rid of that they aren't a real threat". It is more than reasonable to assume that the infected outnumber the non by a massive margin at this point. If we can't agree on that then fair enough, we can agree to disagree and there's no point speculating further. I question how you'd contact these other faction leaders, who using your same logic we have no way of knowing exist (as you put it, now you're making up solutions we don't know exist). There is no communication between whatever groups exist, and we don't know of many.

Who cares? The argument you seem to be making now here is "We can't make people back to what they were instantly, so whats the point?" Lets go with your scenerio, which frankly isn't unlikely. The world has been operating in a different way for 40 years and it will take generations to adjust.

I don't actually agree. I think that society falls apart far easier than it is constructed. What might fall apart quickly isn't necessarily rebuilt as quickly. Society is not the default state of nature, even for man.

So what? So we have a totalitarian regime for a couple centuries or however long while hunters continue being feralistic tribes. It's not a perfect societal existence, but all it means is that humanity just has to retread it's steps.

But we already have that, and even with a vaccine we are massively outnumbered by the infected. I think that 20 years in a point of balance seems to have been reached, and that communities like Jackson are the way going forward. I'll grant a vaccine would be helpful in the event of all the unlikely scenarios required for it to actually work came together, but I think humanity is surviving either way.

The point of the vaccine isn't to fix all of humanity's darker urges, it's to open the door to being rebuilt or atleast remove the possibility of extinction. That's it's only purpose, make it so humanity as a whole doesn't go extinct. That's it's job. However it plays out, if the vaccine is made, then humanity survives.

Again, I think humanity is already surviving, and that the cost of innocent life to chase the fairy tale of a vaccine which requires "science working differently" doesn't add up as moral to me.

Again, these are potential problems you have no evidence that even exist. You have no reason to think humanity doesn't have the resources to rebuild, because the only reason we are ever given why we can't go out into the open land is because "There be zombies"

There will still be zombies, and they still massively outnumber us. You have no evidence that your conditions which are so favorable exist either, its speculation for fun and I think my scenario makes more sense and is better supported by the limited evidence presented in the game..

If we can remove the threat of infection, you just need some decent police gear and all but the bloaters can't do shit to an armored group. The main threat lies in the fact that a single wound, however small, kills and then replenishes their number. Once you get rid of that, the zombies aren't a real threat. It doesn't matter how they don't give up trying to bite you if you have a decent set of riot gear protecting you. Combine that with some guns and ammunition, as well as a squad to watch your back, the zombies don't have a chance.

Bloaters can rip your head off, and riot gear wouldn't save you from even a clicker if it got its hands on you. The numbers game is too late to play here, there is no way they don't have it. Roaming squads would still take casualties very, very frequently and even if they aren't reproducing numbers won't go in your favor for generations upon generations to come.

You keep repeating I have no evidence of the situation, but frankly neither do you and the general tone of the world is somewhat more bleak than you are arguing in my opinion.

As an aside what a fun thing to debate, thanks for the interesting counter points. I stand by my interpretation of the moral right in the situation but it does make for an enjoyable discussion!

paulc316
Banned
(Today, 12:22 PM)

Damn, he was on such a roll today as well...

Icolin

Banned

Shit like this only impedes the evolution of gaming. Good riddance.

It was the best ending or any game and I hated it. I felt like I was Joel but then playing as Ellie I realized I was just the player guiding these characters. I knew Joel was not going to stand by and let Ellie die. She meant too much to him at that point, she helped his pain of Sarah death. Sure she couldn't replace Sarah but the man had lost enough in his mind, he wasn't going to lose again, not if he could help it.

The fact he lies to her at the end just solidifies how selfish he is. Choosing to not tell her the truth to protect what she thinks of him and how it might affect their relationship.

The relationship will be very interesting to see develop in TLOU 2.

Cerium

The ending should have been left as it was.

I'm disappointed that Part 2 continues the same story.

I will now only be satisfied if Joel is the final boss and Ellie willingly sacrifices herself at the end.

Icolin

Banned
The ending should have been left as it was.

I'm disappointed that Part 2 continues the same story.

This again. You realize that this is Naughty Dog's story, so they have the right to continue it as they wish, right?

I'd argue that it's even more risky to continue the same story, because it opens them up to more scrutiny that they would've received if they had just done a completely new story.

Obviously, it could've been left as it was, but now that we now they're continuing it, let's just look forward to that instead of complaining about what, in your opinion, should've been done.

Top Bottom