• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMZ: Carrie Fisher suffers cardiac arrest on plane (Up: in ICU, condition unknown)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kindekuma

Banned
Having a pulse right now is one thing. Going 15 minutes without one is another thing.

Hoping for the best but preparing for the worse.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

iammeiam

Wow. My father passed of a heart attack a few years ago. They couldn't really do anything, though you can't help but live your life wondering what if.

I'm sorry to hear that; we got really lucky, and have gone over the number of coincidences involved that could have gone the other way if slight factors had changed.

That's really nice to hear, best wishes to your dad.

Damn. Sorry you had to experience that, glad for your family and your dad though :)

Thanks; it's an awkward thing to bring up I guess I'm just firmly on team "not leaping to medical conclusions no matter how bad it looks" at the moment and was trying to contextualize. Until a medical professional makes a statement one way or the other, I've given up searching for good or bad signs or trying to read into every little bit of information.

Were there any complications it is he more or less back to normal now?

He got to fly home a couple weeks ago, and is cleared to work half-days now. He still has a lot of PT, has to use a special pillow under his seatbelt to prevent injury, has slightly slurred speech and his vision is a lot worse than it was but all things considered he's in pretty good shape. He's still himself, which was the big worry at the beginning.

Dominator

If you're not breathing for 15 minutes... That update brings me no hope and makes me feel worse. She's not going to recover with all of her faculties.

Tace

God knows I want her to be alright, but 15 minutes without oxygen is going to impact her extremely negatively even if she survives. She won't be the same anymore. I really hope the CPR done on the plane was done by professionals and the damage will be minimal

riotous

Banned
15 minutes without a pulse is very, very bad to say the least, even if she pulls through.

And if the tweet is correct; it took 15 minutes from the time the plane landed to get a pulse. So 15+ whatever time she spent in the air.

Scary to say the least; thoughts are with her family.

As much as it sucks: TMZ is probably going to be first on this. They're first on most celebrity deaths. It's a ghoulish business, but it's what they're best at, I've found.

So far, this seems to be the stuff that most sources seem to agree on:

She went into full cardiac arrest in the air.
It was 15 minutes before landing
She was unresponsive on the plane
After 15 minutes of CPR (first started while in the air) they got a pulse.
She was taken to UCLA Medical and placed in Critical Condition
She's on a ventilator.

Long flight, likely was a Pulmonary Embolism.

Hope she pulls through.

Seems like a possibility, yeah. She certainly had a dangerous lifestyle for a long time but 60 is still tragically young for a massive heart attack, especially these days. She deserves to be an old sassy octogenarian. Can you even imagine Carrie Fisher at 80 with even less fucks to give.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
He got to fly home a couple weeks ago, and is cleared to work half-days now. He still has a lot of PT, has to use a special pillow under his seatbelt to prevent injury, has slightly slurred speech and his vision is a lot worse than it was but all things considered he's in pretty good shape. He's still himself, which was the big worry at the beginning.

Considering the circumstances, he is extremely luck to be doing that well. Best wishes towards his recovery.

SpaceWolf

Banned
If you're not breathing for 15 minutes... That update brings me no hope and makes me feel worse. She's not going to recover with all of her faculties.

She wasn't dead when they got her off the plane.

That's encouraging enough for me at this point in time.

Does "worked on" for 15 minutes = no pulse for 15 minutes? Couldn't that just include the time they were loading her off the plane and onto an ambulance and such?

Jedi2016

People need to lighten up on the 15 minutes thing.. she was on CPR throughout that entire time, which, if done properly, will provide adequately oxygenated blood to her brain. Lay off the "extensive brain damage" talk until we actually hear something definitive, yeah?

Tugatrix

That's premature, many factors in play here, we better wait before doing that judgment. The last place I worked I saw people recover from severe brain damages, with minor sequels or even no sequels

Hagi

As much as it sucks: TMZ is probably going to be first on this. They're first on most celebrity deaths. It's a ghoulish business, but it's what they're best at, I've found.

So far, this seems to be the stuff that most sources seem to agree on:

She went into full cardiac arrest in the air.
It was 15 minutes before landing
She was unresponsive on the plane
After 15 minutes of CPR they got a pulse.
She was taken to UCLA Medical and placed in Critical Condition
She's on a ventilator.

Surely this could mean she was deprived of oxygen to the brain for half an hour instead of 15 minutes if it was the paramedic who got the pulse :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom