• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMZ: Carrie Fisher suffers cardiac arrest on plane (Up: in ICU, condition unknown)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tugatrix

May the force be with her always

A pulse is something, but still she's not out of the woods yet. Also she can have big neurological damage.

Reddit post from a doctor:

As a paramedic, this doesn't look good. She went into full cardiac arrest - in the air - from a "massive" heart attack - away from definitive care and the cath lab (including no advaced airway, defibrillator, access, or code drugs). Chances of her surviving this - and being fully neurologically intact - are very slim (bystander CPR can be very substandard). I would imagine her unresponsive on a ventilator in the ICU somewhere, if she made it that far. I seriously hope that isn't the case and I hope I am wrong, but my experience tells me otherwise.

and the recent TMZ update confirms that's her status atm.

Cubas

For the love of God, stop complaining about the 2016 posts. There are way more important things right now, the main one being the fact that Carrie is probably fighting for her life.

Tonky

I don't understand why people aren't lashing out at TMZ for posting updates? Isn't that a violation of HIPAA too?

mjc

Might not be the best thread to set up your soapbox.

I'm not the first one to mention it, merely commenting.

Glad to see that she's making some kind of progress...hopefully they don't need the ventilator for too long. For medical professionals, what's the level of potential damage from 15 mins of arrest?

They may be using return of circulation odds rather than survival to discharge. It's not hard to get pulses back in an arrest especially with quick AED, but the odds of actual survival are very very low unless there is a specific reversible cause.

Right. Sorry if I wasn't clear. It's to buy a person more time before paramedics can arrive with the real equipment. I think that's where the survival increase comes from.

It's some numbers spouted off in my ALS courses. If I recall correctly these numbers are for people who have an arrest outside of a hospital.

See my response above. I think the elevated survival rate is with conjunction with emergency care arriving quickly.

MechaX

As a paramedic, this doesn't look good. She went into full cardiac arrest - in the air - from a "massive" heart attack - away from definitive care and the cath lab (including no advaced airway, defibrillator, access, or code drugs). Chances of her surviving this - and being fully neurologically intact - are very slim (bystander CPR can be very substandard). I would imagine her unresponsive on a ventilator in the ICU somewhere, if she made it that far. I seriously hope that isn't the case and I hope I am wrong, but my experience tells me otherwise.

This is going to be the operative phrase with this one given how long she was not breathing.

I'm hoping she can pull through as best as she possibly can and then some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom