• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMZ: Carrie Fisher suffers cardiac arrest on plane (Up: in ICU, condition unknown)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Man i'm so sorry to hear about this as a member of my family also suffered a heart attack and passed away.

15 minutes is a long time so it's going to be in god hands if her brain isn't damaged and she lives through this.

Only 60 years old as well :(

Coldsun

Banned
I don't understand, how are TMZ getting their updates then? Wouldn't TMZ's source have to be one of the medical staff?

You're absolutely right. TMZ's sources or their sources may indeed be violating HIPAA. TMZ though? They're not practitioners.

I don't understand, how are TMZ getting their updates then? Wouldn't TMZ's source have to be one of the medical staff?

As I said, if the source was medical staff, that person would be in violation. Also could be law enforcement office involved in situation who became aware of the info, TMZ gets a lot of their news like this from LEOs.

mjc

Surely this could mean she was deprived of oxygen to the brain for half an hour instead of 15 minutes if it was the paramedic who got the pulse :(

Appears that way. Not a good situation, but it's good that someone was on the flight attempting to administer CPR.

slit

Yes, someone on the medical staff at the hospital could potentially be violating HIPAA. TMZ are journalists. They are not bound by HIPAA.

Empty

I'm drawing hope from the recent incident with Fabrice Muamba, worth looking up if you're unfamiliar with it. His heart stopped for 78 minutes and survived thanks to great support from the medical teams on hand.

v important.

muamba has been interviewed many times on tv since his recovery and hasn't shown any noticeable signs of brain damage btw

Surely this could mean she was deprived of oxygen to the brain for half an hour instead of 15 minutes if it was the paramedic who got the pulse :(

Possibly. The CPR was started before the plane landed. She might have already had the pulse before they put her on the ambulance.

TrojanAg

Just hoping she pulls through at this moment. She probably won't be the same after this due to the length of time that her brain went without oxygen, but I'm just concerned about her surviving at this point.

Thank God she made it to the hospital. I'm praying she pulls through...she's been such an inspiration to me ever since I was a kid. I was fortunate enough to see her live and tweet with her a few times.

Also, re: TMZ's reporting - for as low as their reputation tends to be in almost all other aspects, the one thing they seem to have their shit almost 100% together on is celebrity deaths. Ghoulish as that is, they tend to be very accurate, and usually first, as well.

riotous

Banned
Just hoping she pulls through at this moment. She probably won't be the same after this due to the length of time that her brain went without oxygen, but I'm just concerned about her surviving at this point.

As others have explained her brain wasn't necessarily without oxygen.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm going to bed now

I will wake up tomorrow

And Carrie will be fine

Hope

Depends if the '15 minutes' includes the time on the plane. A little unclear from the post.

Yeah, their update isn't particularly clear. It could be read as "paramedics worked on her for 15 minutes once the plane landed" or "we found once the plane landed that paramedics had worked on her for 15 minutes"

Best not to get too wrapped up in the minutiae I guess.

Yeah. Bottom line is she's in critical, on a respirator, at UCLA medical right now.

Metalmarc

I'm gonna listen to some more of Carrie reading her latest book tonight, i literally started it last night, my thoughts are with her and i am anxiously waiting on the latest updates from TMZ.

She came to Salt Lake Comic con and was absolutely amazing to fans. She sat at her booth for hours and made sure every little girl met Princess Leia.

Man this is rough.

People need to lighten up on the 15 minutes thing.. she was on CPR throughout that entire time, which, if done properly, will provide adequately oxygenated blood to her brain. Lay off the "extensive brain damage" talk until we actually hear something definitive, yeah?

8 of 10 people who receive CPR die.
Of those 2 who survive probably 1.8 suffer massive damage to the brain, lung and other organs. 0.2 recover properly..

I'm not Fisher's doctor or whatever, but the chance that it looks bad for her is high.
I wish to be surprised in a positive way, though.

Garlador

She came to Salt Lake Comic con and was absolutely amazing to fans. She sat at her booth for hours and made sure every little girl met Princess Leia.

Man this is rough.

I remember meeting her in Dallas. She was right next to the Green Power Ranger's booth. Some little girl was running around backstage as security tried to chase the child and Carrie was just all giggles about the ordeal.

Raxus

Man this is rough.

She comes off as insanely sincere in her interviews with Craig Ferguson as well. I respect the hell out of that woman. I wish her the best.

Brakke

Banned
yea for them not TMZ. They are just providing information. I mean yea I think it's too much at times, but they are just doing a job.

In a lot of cases, TMZ is paying people for these scoops. So it's not like they're uninvolved.

Also "just doing a job" isn't a thing.

E92 M3

If she survives, she will most likely be a vegetable or very disabled. 15 minutes without oxygen to the brain is very scary.

Damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom