• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toki Tori 2 |OT| - Who needs weapons when you can whistle?

JoeFu

Banned
Really liking the game, but I'm kinda lost now....

Maybe not.. Love how this game makes you think and doesn't explain anything

Just started playing this game and I like it a lot.

The graphics are rich in color and looks nice at 60fps. The environments are really nice to look at as well.

Im really liking the gameplay mechanics. The stomping is simple, but the singing is fun and like journey but more dynamic. Theres short and long notes and as you play, these notes going up/down in scale and you can create some unique whistles 'cause how its system is designed. I was laughing cause how fun and funny it is to mess around.

You'll also learn songs which will be displayed on gamepad screen which serves as commands to do certain functions in game and is neat.

The music in this game is awesome and ties it all together.

Id definitely recommend this game if you like puzzle games that are charmful/musical.

CengizMan

This game is absolutely amazing. Can't wait to play it on my Wii U. I especially like it, because my name is in the credits!

Anyways, via @NintenDaan:

tumblr_mksvd0vWGO1qgs99ko1_500.png

You read that right. Looks like the people at Two Tribes are going to fix some issues people share through Miiverse. So if you got any suggestions for them, make sure you share them with Two Tribes!

Volotaire

This game is absolutely amazing. Can't wait to play it on my Wii U. I especially like it, because my name is in the credits!

Anyways, via @NintenDaan:

You read that right. Looks like the people at Two Tribes are going to fix some issues people share through Miiverse. So if you got any suggestions for them, make sure you share them with Two Tribes!

Damn that's some nice community-developer feedback they've got there. Definitely supporting this now.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I love this game and I love miiverse. I got stuck twice, asked for help and got answers within a couple of minutes!

And I played it tonight on the GamePad while watching Marseille-Bordeaux football game on TV.

In the past I would have spent a lot of time telling Wii U doubters they miss something special. Now I'm just fine keeping this for me. I'll provide the devs some feedback though :)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Really loving this game so far. I can already tell that the puzzles will be very challenging.

Wii U drought? What drought? ;)

Yeah, I hear you on that. That's a really nice thing of the devs to do. As soon as I get the money, I'll probably get this on Wii U.

The devs also hinted on Miiverse that they'll probably bring the original Toki Tori to Wii U too.

zroid

Banned
Nice to see you guys are enjoying this. I'd love to pick this up, especially while it's on sale, but there are just so many games I have to budget for in the coming months, and I never played the original, so I don't have much "hype" for it.

The glowing praise on a recent episode of RFN really piqued my interest though.

edit: on a related note, the giant bomb quick look is up: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-toki-tori-2/2300-7222/

hawk2025

This is not hyperbole: this game has some of the best puzzles I have ever solved in 25 years of gaming. They are devious, but more importantly, fun and natural.

Still extremely impressed by the game, and it's lengthy, too -- I've put 7 or 8 hours in already.

Shancake

Does the game ever open up to the point where you find out why you're collecting these things and activating the statues? I feel like I have no reason or motivation to continue at the moment am genuinely never sure when I am actually stuck or need to go another way.

hawk2025

The statues are
fast travel checkpoints
, and yes there is a reason for collecting those gold thingies. Yes, the game opens up completely, and yes, eventually you will know where to go next by a Metroid-style bleeping dot on the world map.

If you want to know where to go to start the second "part" of the game,
head towards the village on the world map. The entrance is from below, but you approach it for the first time from East.

I've enjoyed my time with it so far, and have already been challenged by some of the early puzzles.

Two Tribes did a Twitter photo contest, for a chance to win a copy of the game, last week. I entered the contest, but wasn't one of the winners.

Here's my Toki Tori egg and image I created for the contest...
BG6DY-RCEAANjcs.jpg:large

...check out those carrot feet! Only problem, they started to wither up.

Did anybody here enter the contest, and perhaps win?

Tizoc

Please do excuse the port begging, but has the dev stated whether they're planning on releasing it to PS3/Vita?

Hiltz

That's a cool attempt you made for the contest , CoffeeGames. Even though you didn't win, I'm sure Two Tribes appreciated your submitted image.

Tizoc

or wait till it comes out on Steam, I guess :p

It's been on my Steam wishlist for months now ;)
I'm planning on double dipping if it gets a PS3/Vita release. If anything it's just a matter of waiting, Sony's really reaching out to indies.

Roo

Please do excuse the port begging, but has the dev stated whether they're planning on releasing it to PS3/Vita?

Nothing. No word about a port to other platforms. I wouldn't rule it out tho. It's coming to Steam so there's still chance :p

Hiltz

What platforms did the WiiWare Toki Tori get ported to (aside from PC)?

The 2009 iPhone version included touch screen controls and additional exclusive new levels. The game was also released in 2011 for PS3's PSN, but apparently only for Europe. According to Wikipedia, it supports 3D effect and PS Move.

hawk2025

Just finished it, 8 hours and 40 minutes!

There are still tons of stuff to do to get to... Something secret that I don't know yet.

Regardless, this is my favorite downloadable game of the year so far by a wide margin, and one of my favorite platform puzzlers ever.

So challenging, so clever.

Xpite

Neo Member
Out of the blue I decided to buy this yesterday. It's pretty addictive. I keep saying that I'll stop at the next checkpoint... and then I continue :p

It's definitely a good game for Off-TV play, and the puzzles are pretty interesting. Took me a while to figure out how to get past the blue lightning bugs.

Just finished it, 8 hours and 40 minutes!

There are still tons of stuff to do to get to... Something secret that I don't know yet.

Regardless, this is my favorite downloadable game of the year so far by a wide margin, and one of my favorite platform puzzlers ever.

So challenging, so clever.

Does the game file show your time? If so, can you take an image of your play-time and share it on the Miiverse community? The hours of gameplay I like to share on the Miiverse communities, so it gives people that go there checking on a game an idea of what they might be able to expect.

Yuterald

Bought this game on a whim on Friday and it's incredible. I never played the first game before either. I can't believe some of the puzzles, they're really good! Game looks cute and all, but it's got a dark/weird vibe to it at times, I can't quite put my finger on it. Love how there isn't a single line of text in the game too. I didn't even understand how to really play the game at first and I'm not sure if I still understand what I'm doing on it, lol! Lighting up monoliths and collecting artifact pieces, what the fuck are these things for? I guess exploring and just letting shit happen is the appeal of the game, right?

I just arrived at the center "town"? Saw I guess what you could call a "cut scene" and fell to the bottom of some cave again. Have no clue what's going on, but I like it!

Apenheul

It's very good indeed. I'd describe it as an exemplary case of a good level design paired with a strong and minimal set of core mechanics. Much better than Toki Tori 1, and possibly my favorite game on the Wii U eShop right now.

hawk2025

Bought this game on a whim on Friday and it's incredible. I never played the first game before either. I can't believe some of the puzzles, they're really good! Game looks cute and all, but it's got a dark/weird vibe to it at times, I can't quite put my finger on it. Love how there isn't a single line of text in the game too. I didn't even understand how to really play the game at first and I'm not sure if I still understand what I'm doing on it, lol! Lighting up monoliths and collecting artifact pieces, what the fuck are these things for? I guess exploring and just letting shit happen is the appeal of the game, right?

I just arrived at the center "town"? Saw I guess what you could call a "cut scene" and fell to the bottom of some cave again. Have no clue what's going on, but I like it!

Keep going! That was one of my favorite sections of the game.

CrisKre

This game is amazing. I just got to the part where the game "opens up". Am I understanding correctly and I should go to a place in the map that's glowing to advance? I turned it off once i got the teleport ability .

GulAtiCa

I beat the game over the weekend. Took about 9 hours. Pretty fun. Even with that, that are still plenty of stages I haven't even visited yet. Seems like plenty of puzzles to solve if I want to 100% it

Roo

So you guys are saying I should buy this.

How long is it?

It's a must have imo.
Two Tribes did an amazing job with this game.
And about your question... I think a member here already finished it and it took him like 7-8 hours to beat it. He left a lot f collectibles behind so I think it should take around 12-15 hours to beat it 100%

Mael

I was wondering who was slacking off with no OT here!
Just finished it, all I can say it's really the kind of games there should be more of.
Seriously there's literally no text in the game per se, you don't get new powerups but new knowledge on how the gameworld works to progress.
It's very smart and really empowering.
Was stuck irremediably once, asked for help on miiverse and they didn't outright told the answer but put pointers so that I could find it for myself.
Even their posts on miiverse are great!
I have in my log recently this, Luigi Mansion 2 and Bioshock Infinite.
And clearly it's the best of the 3 by a very large margin.
Now they need to make the soundtrack available!
Now onto getting all the collectibles one can get in that game....

Madouu

It's a must have imo.
Two Tribes did an amazing job with this game.
And about your question... I think a member here already finished it and it took him like 7-8 hours to beat it. He left a lot f collectibles behind so I think it should take around 12-15 hours to beat it 100%

I'm convinced then, it's downloading right now!

Wow, given these impressions I guess I need to buy this! Between the Wii U and 3DS I already have a large backlog, but what's one more, I suppose.

CrisKre

So you guys are saying I should buy this.

How long is it?
YES. I wasnt really interested in the title judging by the trailer and got it on a whim. Was grabbed instantly. Its impeccably designed and a joy to play. I like the compariison to Pushmo. Very apt.

hawk2025

Yep, it took me 8 hours and 40 minutes to finish the game according to the Wii U's log (I guess you can subtract about 40 minutes for pause time and whatnot, but I don't remember pausing much at all), and there's still tons to do including completely unexplored area.
The collectibles aren't pointless though, they are the result of solving puzzles, and the game hints at a "true" ending after getting everything that I don't know what it is yet.

Honestly, this game's Metacritic makes zero sense to me. I haven't been this impressed by a downloadable game since... Mark of the Ninja, maybe? Or Spelunky?

Either way, it's up there for me, and I'm not even huge on puzzle games. This one just feels right and is super fun, with tons of content and natural-feeling, very smart puzzles spread across the different environments.

Yep, it took me 8 hours and 40 minutes to finish the game according to the Wii U's log (I guess you can subtract about 40 minutes for pause time and whatnot, but I don't remember pausing much at all), and there's still tons to do including completely unexplored area.
The collectibles aren't pointless though, they are the result of solving puzzles, and the game hints at a "true" ending after getting everything that I don't know what it is yet.

Honestly, this game's Metacritic makes zero sense to me. I haven't been this impressed by a downloadable game since... Mark of the Ninja, maybe? Or Spelunky?

Either way, it's up there for me, and I'm not even huge on puzzle games. This one just feels right and is super fun, with tons of content and natural-feeling, very smart puzzles spread across the different environments.

I find it interesting how most reviewers these days don't include the number of hours it took to complete the game. Many reviews read like demo impressions, and many reviewers won't even answer simple questions like, "How many hours did it take you to beat" when asked, at least from my experience.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I think I dislike the basic gameplay, especially the speed (or lack of it).

We'll see if I like it more as it progresses.

Top Bottom