• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toki Tori 2 |OT| - Who needs weapons when you can whistle?

Shahadan

Game is awesome ! Not a single bit of text, even in the "menu", no hand holding and a great lot of interactivity and cleverness.

I tend to get lost though, and I would have appreciated something more than just collecting bits, or something rarer here and there.
I think the game lacks an objective or incentive to keep you playing, but so far I really enjoy it.

In any case, massive respect for the huge constraint Two Tribes went with and the creativity they used. It's really up my alley.
Making a game kike that is pretty ballsy.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I find it interesting how most reviewers these days don't include the number of hours it took to complete the game. Many reviews read like demo impressions, and many reviewers won't even answer simple questions like, "How many hours did it take you to beat" when asked, at least from my experience.

I daresay it's because many reviewers don't actually finish the games they review, not even the short ones.

I daresay it's because many reviewers don't actually finish the games they review, not even the short ones.

Well, I can point you three on Twitter that blocked me, apparently because asking them how many hours it took to beat a game was inappropriate.

I can then point you to a guy at another site that claimed to be "interested" in the information, and after I took the time to put it together for him, he couldn't find enough time to do a simple email reply. Then he blocked me on Twitter as well.

Honesty/transparency...no. Not words I would use to describe the video game "reporting" industry.

kizmah

Just got the game on Wii U. What an awesome little puzzler. It's really impressive the amount of different challenges the developers managed to make out of only two actions. And I have barely started.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Really liking this game. It seems a shame that judging by the Miiverse posts, not many people seem to have bought it. (The number of posts are barely above The Walking Dead board.) :(

Come on guys, I really want them to bring Toki Tori 1 to the Wii U....

Pikma

Banned
This game is great♥, loved the first one and this is managing to be up there with it. Love it's slow pace, it's so damn relaxing, a giant change of pace coming from the average game.

JHardin1112

Neo Member
Hey Coffee, yeah I agree. You know I review games in my spare time, as a hobby, so I can't always finish a game before I review it. However, I try to do so when I can, and I will always answer about the hours it took. (Speaking of which....I forgot to look at the hours for the Amazing Spider-Man....need to do that for you still....)

Anyways, as for Toki Tori 2. I am only a couple hours in and I am loving it! The reason it can be difficult at times is because it never holds your hand, at all. You just have to pay attention to your surroundings and the behavior of the animals. That is all.

Yes, it is a cute game, and yes, it can be hard at times. It is when you experience the "ah-ha!" moment of figuring out the next step, especially after being stuck for awhile, that you can really appreciate the game and the experience that Two-Tribes has created in Toki-Tori 2.

I already know I'm going to recommend this game to our readers, but I hope anyone who is on the fence, hops off and buys the game.

kizmah

Played some more and this game just keeps getting better and better. AND it kinda makes me fall in love with my Wii U all over again. Off-tv play is truly a revelation for this kind of games. Everybody must buy!!!

jacksrb

Only a little more than an hour in, but I adore the design with the subtleties of the interactions with the creatures and environments. Also, the camera and 'last checkpoint' reset are both good additions. The whistling notes is great too!

However, I do feel like I have no idea how I will ever backtrack to see the rest of the game, or if I am on the easiest path, etc...I assume that will all payoff eventually, but it is a weird feeling to have no idea how far into the game I am.

serplux

Really liking this game. It seems a shame that judging by the Miiverse posts, not many people seem to have bought it. (The number of posts are barely above The Walking Dead board.) :(

Come on guys, I really want them to bring Toki Tori 1 to the Wii U....

It's number 1 in the charts almost everywhere! We're doing our best.

That said, they're looking to bring Toki Tori 1, EDGE, and RUSH to the Wii U.

jacksrb

Oh yeah, that reminds me. The MiiVerse stuff is fine, but it frustrates me that the Luigi community, Zelda community is trending on the Wara Wara plaza instead of a game.

We are just now getting beyond having ZombiU and other launch games be the only ones. It was nice to see Runner 2, NFS, Lego City, and VC games show up. Would love to see TokiTori 2 there!

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Oh yeah, that reminds me. The MiiVerse stuff is fine, but it frustrates me that the Luigi community, Zelda community is trending on the Wara Wara plaza instead of a game.

We are just now getting beyond having ZombiU and other launch games be the only ones. It was nice to see Runner 2, NFS, Lego City, and VC games show up. Would love to see TokiTori 2 there!

Yes, I agree with that. Toki Tori is on my WaraWara Plaza, but it should be showcasing games only.

Asimov

Banned
So... I just bought the game.

I have a question. Are the graphics 3D or are they using high resolution sprites? The game looks extremely clean.

Yuterald

Made some more progress. Some of the puzzles/situations in this game are incredible. Really impressed with how they came up with so many unique situations with only two buttons. I have no clue how to "finish" this game though. The lack of any sort of direction is cool and everything, but you can definitely get lost. It's not quite as vague as something like La-Mulana, but it definitely doesn't hold your hand. For a game that looks this childish, it's no joke!

The center of my map is glowing and I'm supposed to lead this golden frog into a door, I guess. I have no clue what's going on!

Yes, it is a cute game, and yes, it can be hard at times. It is when you experience the "ah-ha!" moment of figuring out the next step, especially after being stuck for awhile, that you can really appreciate the game and the experience that Two-Tribes has created in Toki-Tori 2.

I already know I'm going to recommend this game to our readers, but I hope anyone who is on the fence, hops off and buys the game.

Yeah, a few of the early puzzles have really stumped me for quite a while, and when I realize the solution(s) it's like "Wow! That's pretty easy, but really clever!"

This game is such a neat pace for a puzzle-platformer.

My big gripe right now is that I know how the game needs everything to be PERFECT to work right. I hit a puzzle that will require my perfect placement and the creature's perfect placement to work perfectly. I know how to solve the puzzle already...I don't want to spend hours repeating the same actions to get it just right :/

Ok guys It's done! Downloading the game right now. So excited! And afraid at the same time due to me probably sucking at this game. :p

Hi there! So I got this gem yesterday and I must admit that I'm pretty impressed so far. I just have one question: Where the hell do I have to go? Am I fine by just heading ANY direction? Or is there a certain route I have to follow? If so, I haven't found it yet.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Hi there! So I got this gem yesterday and I must admit that I'm pretty impressed so far. I just have one question: Where the hell do I have to go? Am I fine by just heading ANY direction? Or is there a certain route I have to follow? If so, I haven't found it yet.

Finished the game last night with 100% completion. Loved it. So I'll give you and anyone else just starting out a little non-spoilery advice.

First, once you've wandered around a bit and gotten used to how the basic gameplay works your first real goal ought to be to get into the village in the center of the map.

Second, collecting the gold trinkets is entirely optional. You can complete the game without them. There's a pretty nice reward for collecting them all, though. The puzzles for collecting gold seemed noticeably harder than the main storyline ones. Basically, competing the story = Normal Mode. Collecting 100% gold = Hard Mode.

Asimov

Banned
Finished the game last night with 100% completion. Loved it. So I'll give you and anyone else just starting out a little non-spoilery advice.

First, once you've wandered around a bit and gotten used to how the basic gameplay works your first real goal ought to be to get into the village in the center of the map.

Second, collecting the gold trinkets is entirely optional. You can complete the game without them. There's a pretty nice reward for collecting them all, though. The puzzles for collecting gold seemed noticeably harder than the main storyline ones. Basically, competing the story = Normal Mode. Collecting 100% gold = Hard Mode.

I have a question.

Can you grab all the gold trinkets in each level the first time you play that specific level or do you have to return later with some sort of new abilities or something like that?

Yuterald

I have a question.

Can you grab all the gold trinkets in each level the first time you play that specific level or do you have to return later with some sort of new abilities or something like that?

From what I've played (and I think I'm near the end), there aren't new abilities to learn, but you'll come to realize new things or rather different ways to approach an area after getting further in the game. You'll also find yourself coming back to areas from different directions which will lead you to some of those out of sight trinkets. It's all pretty well designed, actually.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
I have a question.

Everything in the game is accessible from the start. Whistle and stomp is all you need.

Alright, thanks for the advide!

I need to play this some more this weekend, but I'm currently stuck (again) on another section I reached earlier this week...the puzzles are crazy!

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Patch incoming. Tweeks to the game based on user feedback, mostly from the Miiverse.

Two Tribes said:
o Improved the flow of the game after reaching the room with the ‘thing’
o Added another super-secret area
o Fixed a bug where Toki Tori was invisible after returning to the game
o Fades between levels now fade the audio too
o Simplified the puzzle in the underwater passage
o Fixed an issue when the TokiDex was completed in the photo room
o Some back- and foreground elements got a fresh coat of paint
o When all the collectibles in a level (or the entire game) are collected a melody will play to notify the player
o Fixed a rare bug where the player completed the game, but the end scene wouldn’t trigger
o Various level tweaks, based on Miiverse feedback
http://twotribes.com/message/toki-tori-2-first-update-submitted/

bart64

Banned
Everything in the game is accessible from the start. Whistle and stomp is all you need.

I think this is the most mind-blowing part of the game. So many times I thought I was at a dead end only to return later and see the light. It's like a metroidvania except the roadblocks are all in your head.

So I finished it yesterday and I'm still thinking about all the cleverness. I don't think I have played a puzzle game this good since the early PC days. I'm looking forward to collecting all the pieces!

It's just so cohesive, polished, and rewarding. Thanks for the tremendous effort Two Tibes! It's nice of you to respect human intelligence and move the genre forward.

After 21 hours I've finished the game with all the yellow pieces collected and the "extra" mission that you unlock after finishing the game accomplished. I've missed two pictures of the Toki-Dex, though.

I can say that this is the best puzzle game I've played in my entire life (I could have never imagined that this game could be better than Donkey Kong 94). Toki Tori 2 is an absolute masterpiece and a design miracle. Everyone should play it.

Congratulations, Two Tribes, because you have made it.
10/10

I still haven't tried the update, but this game was PERFECT (except for some bugs that I didn't found) like it was.
I don't need it to be more guided or simplified. I mean, come on!

Bought the game on wednesday, played through the story yesterday...

This game is awesome, though at first I was a little disappointed that the levels were structured so differently compared to Toki Tori 1. But the puzzles are absolutely awesome, it's got me stop in awe several times because of the complexity they achieved with only two actions. The interaction with the creatures and the environment are clever and feel natural and organic.

I love that there's a lot of puzzles where your chance that you just stumble upon the solution by poking around is very slim. You really need to think it through.

Now everybody who likes to use his brain in games needs to buy this game.

jbc3

Hi guys - just a heads up - Toki Tori 2 got in touch with us at Cubed3. For those wondering the level editor is very much still in development, but they're unable to confirm a release date atm unfortunately!

CaVaYeRo

Heh, just posted our iDÉAME video interview with Two Tribes.

They actually talk about the level editor and Miiverse idea, but they didn't know what could they do at that time. Wii U level editor comes after Steam version.

Also, for those wondering, it's actually pre-rendered 3D graphics.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'll use this edited-out bump to urge people to buy this game--it's a massive leap over the (pretty good) original game, and one of the best puzzle/platformers I've ever played. Right up there with the likes of Donkey Kong '94, as far as I'm concerned.

ymmv

Banned
two_zps999c6777.png

PS4 confirmed, no Xbone version though.

Mael

Yowza, PS3+PS4+Vita YOPO please XO
When's the Steam release again? been a while since it's been on WiiU.

I'd take a level editor before any other versions thanks.
Seriously if you have WiiU and doesn't have this game you're missing the game of the year here.

Shahadan

Seriously if you have WiiU and doesn't have this game you're missing the game of the year here.

Truth. It's sad than so many people are dismissing this game. Even wii u owners complaining there is nothing to play on the machine -_-

Top Bottom