• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

drizzle

Axel Hertz
If you haven't seen Akibaranger, you should see Akibaranger.

tumblr_n2d6yiVHEO1qivqtjo2_400.gif

It's Carranger S2.

Oh man, I miss AkibaBlue a lot. I miss all of AkibaRanger.

Maybe I should watch carranger.

Tiu Neo

If you haven't seen Akibaranger, you should see Akibaranger.

tumblr_n2d6yiVHEO1qivqtjo2_400.gif

It's Carranger S2.

I have seen Akibaranger! I love it, but even if they are both parodies, it's a very different. Dunno how to express it, but Carranger was made as a sentai that is also a parody, while Akibaranger is more like a parody/homage/story lesson. Still wish we get a third season someday.

Oh man, I miss AkibaBlue a lot. I miss all of AkibaRanger.

Maybe I should watch carranger.

I'm only on Episode 7, but so far it's only getting better.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
If we do get the Fashion Rider, I wonder if that will continue the idea that cool motif = bad show, weird motif = good show...

Although I'd argue Drive goes for a pretty "cool" and relatively normal motif and ended up doing pretty well.

WillyFive

Wizard needed many things. The presentation, directing, designs, choreography, and premise was there; but it lacked the most important part: stories and characters to care about.

I feel ToQger is in a similar boat, a good premise but various flaws in the show that kept it from achieving it's full potential, including failing to make it's story scale well to a 50 episode show, and as well as hitting the proper tone for it's story (having kids being played by adults was a really bad idea if the intention was to care and relate with the characters and the problems they were going through).

javadoze

If we do get the Fashion Rider, I wonder if that will continue the idea that cool motif = bad show, weird motif = good show...

Although I'd argue Drive goes for a pretty "cool" and relatively normal motif and ended up doing pretty well.

Drive's trademark was filed on May 22nd of last year, so the next rider's title should be showing up within the next week or so.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Does this mean Kyuuemon's a human?

I found someone with it subbed yes. Also Casshan as well. Both are pretty hard to find in english...they ain't perfect though. Friender is being called Flender in the subs of Casshan. Hell most of these went either japanese, italian , or spanish so I'll take what I can get though. Nice thing is the audio is japanese so the voice acting is pretty well done.

For what its worth...old school Casshan is subbed on hulu.

Ah yeah I know about Casshan being fully subbed, it's Polymar I was wondering. Rats. :(

Watch Da Birdie

So...Chou Climax Heroes...

Where the fuck is Kiva's Arm Monsters? I mean, it was bad enough the show pushed them to the side, but the game totally leaves them out for Castle Doran?

At least Battride War had them, and imo they were some of the best moves to use...especially Bassha Form.

Boss Doggie

Where the fuck is Kiva's Arm Monsters? I mean, it was bad enough the show pushed them to the side, but the game totally leaves them out for Castle Doran?

At least Battride War had them, and imo they were some of the best moves to use...especially Bassha Form.

Bandai likes to forget plenty of Rider forms from what I recall.

NeonZ

The original Climax Heroes was pretty poor as far as form changing goes, usually only having one transformation per Rider, aside from Kuuga, Decade and Den-O. Most Riders from that game were never really updated, aside from the main Riders that didn't even have their final forms there, like Kuuga.

shaowebb

Chou Climax Heroes had so many forms its unreal. I can't even remember how many I counted up when I did the OT and listed the whole roster. Game is insane and if you turned off Climax time, maxed out the difficulty and then lowered the damage to minimal you discover that there really is some crazy fun stuff there. They just sort of buried it behind the overly rewarding free meter, high damage and low AI to let the kiddies enjoy it. Man there were some sweet ass Rider Cancel combos though. I love the jump cancel combos but you could straight up go broken tier with Rider Cancels...especially with any ultimate form character. Faiz had infinites out the ass.

Speaking of hitting people Infinitely I'm still watching Hurricane Polymar! This guy is brutal for the sake of brutal. I'm pretty certain that on what I thought was a bait and switch of throwing enemies at a spiked floor to kill them and them not dying because they landed between the spikes that one actually took a spike to the dick.

Polymar threw them that way on purpose but just couldn't resist fucking up that one guy said:
Polymar you are amazing.
GMPteVI.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

It's weird though because all the other Main Riders in Chou Climax Heroes feel pretty complete---a few movie forms and stuff like Sieg are gone, but everything else is accounted for.

Kiva missing one of his main gimmicks just bugs me. I guess Agito is sort of in the same boat as he doesn't have his Storm Form or Fire Form, but at least they remembered them because he does have Trinity Form. Kiva doesn't even have DoGaBaKi.

Then again, they threw in motherfucking Kamen Rider Saga which rocks because he was one of my favorite designs that got tossed aside for Dark Kiva, who surprisingly isn't included...

I really wish Kiva didn't get fucked over in pretty much everything, had such promise and went to shit so fast...not going to lie though, I still loved the final scene, even if it was a ridiculous joke.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I finally decided to check out a couple episodes of the official Zyuranger DVD. I've had it for a while but I didn't really watch it as I've seen Zyuranger before.
The quality is really good, like "holy shit I can see everything clearly".

WarRock

About Chou Climax Heroes... I never understood what the side special (IIRC) move from Kiva does. He releases the chain on his legs and... nothing changes?

Slayven

What would Ninnger's greater power be?

What would Drive's Final Kamen Ride be? I imagine Shinosuke being turned into a gokart version of Trideron and being driven into the enemy.

BatDan

What would Drive's Final Kamen Ride be? I imagine Shinosuke being turned into a gokart version of Trideron and being driven into the enemy.

Kyoryuger Greater Power: Summon Gabutyra to add to GokaiOh
ToQger Greater Power: A giant Rainbow Liner attack like Gekiranger or Goseiger.
Ninninger Greater Power: A giant Ninja Ally attack.

OOO Final KR: Turn into a pile of medals with three Cores that power up Decade
Fourze Final KR: Turn into a giant rocket that doesn't kill monsters, but turns them into the two Rider's friends.
Wizard Final KR: Turns into a dragon. ... That's pretty obvious.
Gaim Final KR: Turns into a Lockseed that gives Decade a special armor.
Drive Final KR:Your Go Kart suggestion sounds spot on.

ReiGun

Ninninger Greater Power: Summon Shinobimaru like the lion from Goaranger. Except he doesn't combine with GokaiOh; he just runs around the battlefield wearing a pirate hat.

Drive Final KR: Turns into a giant tire Decade kicks at enemies.

Tiu Neo

Ninninger Greater Power: Summon Shinobimaru like the lion from Goaranger. Except he doesn't combine with GokaiOh; he just runs around the battlefield wearing a pirate hat.

That would be the second greatest Greater power. After Carranger, of course.

EDIT: 3 episodes to go, for Kabuto.
WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DIE, TSURUGI? Poor Jiiya.

Watch Da Birdie

The ending of Kabuto is gonna piss you off though.

It's really bad. And not even like bad in a good way like Kiva's, it just made me go "that's fucking it?!"

Watch Da Birdie

Watching Hunter x Hunter, noticed this...

I think this is the second Kamen Rider reference...one of the other episodes Gon yelled "SWITCH ON!". But I'm unsure if he said that in the original manga since that came out long before Fourze, whereas the anime was airing right at the time Fourze was on.

I think it's Black, Shadow Moon, Fourze, OOO, W, but I'm not sure who the ones next to W are supposed to be---oh, and there's the YuYu Hakusho cast right at the edge. :{

shaowebb

Hurricane Polymar episodes 6 & 7
"Even the show itself is beginning to be in shock of his violence"

Okay so I'm still watching the original Hurricane Polymar U-Q mkv stuff and holy shit is he ever getting violent. I mean I knew he was the kind of guy who strongly believed in hitting people repeatedly long after it was no longer required but now he's just straight up goin off on folks.

We'd seen Polymar get violent before and even seen him break a neck recently. Hell we've seen him burn folks alive in vehicles in one episode ! All that though never really showed a dead body or blood so the audience could (I guess) try to convince themselves that while hurt maybe folks lived and were just hospitalized.

Episode 6 says no to that. Polymar is chasing down a mole themed gang who have had a contract killer planting corpses all around Polymar, Teru and Detective Kuruma. Eventually Polymar gets in a fight with the assassin in full suit and not only does the guy land a hit on Polymar a couple of times but even scores a knockdown once! Till now NOTHING has faced Polymar and this guy starts throwing back and forth with him in the middle of Polymar's big finale with the theme song blaring.

Polymar has had enough...
WFJT74A.gif

...at this point the music just stops. I mean it fucking STOPS! The moment that foot hit his spine it went silent.

That dude was dead. It wasn't enough for Polymar though. He then immediately runs to the mole leader's sub which he is escaping since its flooded with water and this happens.

WRq2uPj.gif

He straight up drowns the dude and smiles. Justice is served bitch!

I didn't think Polymar could top all of this brutality in episode 7 but he one ups it. Someone is sending out Doberman to try and kill the chief of police and he suspects after finding a camera in the eye of a dog at a show that it's surgeon may have done something. He shows up out of costume and even though the doctor said that the dog he found was injured and that camera eye was a state of the art prosthetic to allow the dog to see Polymar then PUTS HIM THROUGH A FUCKING CABINET. Why? Because he wore a ring at work...apparently that means he's not really a doctor? I mean, I know some jobs you take your fucking jewelry off at, but its not like this doctor was doing surgery that day.

At this point they have ninjas appear even though Polymar could have been wrong and he literally beats the shit out of a whole room of people without the suit. Seeing this the helpless doctor tries to run and THIS is how Polymar deals with it.

6DkB2Ut.gif

...O_O he ran through a door and put the guy through a fucking wall. How in the hell will you top that in the finale when you put your suit on at the end of this episode to save folks Polymar?!

Don't worry...Polymar does top it. In the first SECONDS of arriving at the final fight he does this.
tnL79h9.gif

Thats the first graphic bloody scene yet and within moments of animal cruelty knocks the shit out of that woman. We weren't even certain at this point if she was involved in anything criminal or was just part of the show! Got too close to Polymar and he fucking started punching bitches both in the slang and literal senses.

Hurricane Polymar.
aka what the fuck am I watching @_@

3jKjtcs.jpg

Tiu Neo

Finished Kabuto.

Everything would be simpler if Tendou told Kagami about the Native's plan beforehand. But nooooo...

This series... is pretty good, but hella confusing. Sometimes we have a lot of fillers, then important things get rushed. I feel they didn't know what to do with the Hoppers too. They were those super depressed guys looking for revenge, and then turned into comedy relief from one episode to another.

Gotta say, though, lots of likable characters. Drake was cool, Sasword I didn't like at the beginning but got a lot better after he became sillier. Tadakoro and Misaki were awesome, and Gon was a nice complement to Drake.

Funny thing is, to me, Kagami is more of a main character here than Tendou. I'd say the series is as much about his growth as it is about worms.

NeonZ

Everything would be simpler if Tendou told Kagami about the Native's plan beforehand. But nooooo...

He didn't know about their plan though. He was going by a hunch, and only had any evidence that something was wrong with the necklaces after meeting the Hoppers, but by that time he already had been unreasonably antagonistic to his friends.

Funny thing is, to me, Kagami is more of a main character here than Tendou. I'd say the series is as much about his growth as it is about worms.

Most Tendo focused arcs were written by the secondary writer, Inoue, (aside from the Dark Kabuto ones), while the Kagami episodes were by the main writer, Yonemura. It was also the main writer who changed Tsurugi from a serious Tendo rival to a comic relief who befriends Kagami. But then Inoue wrote his final arc, which is why he suddenly goes Tendo centered again.

There's also an written epilogue for the show by the main writer including the Kagami/Hiyori romance that had to be cut from the series due to lack of availability of her actress. So, yes, in several ways, it seems like Yonemura was pushing Kagami as the main character, but Bandai and Inoue wanted to focus on Tendo. It's really annoying how Kagami doesn't get an upgrade, and then we get Gattack keeping up with Hyper Kabuto in the final battle...

I wish Gattack returned for one of these crossovers. I remember his actor voiced Gattack in one of the last Climax Heroes games.

Watch Da Birdie

I think Tsurugi's introduction Arc actually is the beginning of Kabuto losing focus, because before his Arc, all the Riders have really neat introduction Arcs and are allowed to develop---first we get Yaguruma, then we get Drake, and each one gets a fair amount of time...

But then with Tsurugi, they set him up and everything, including the whole Worm deal, but then right away they switch to Kagami's Gatack Arc and Tsurugi's basically sidelined for quite awhile till at the end he's suddenly given focus.

Speaking of Gatack, there IS a Hyper Gatack---but it was just made for the Hyper Battle Video (aka a joke OVA) and appeared in the Kabuto PS2 game, but otherwise has been forgotten about. It looks fairly decent...

znikUpQ.jpg

I remember one rumor for the Drive Movie said Gatack would appear (alongside G3 and Accel, since Kagami became a police officer at the end of Kabuto), too bad that was fake it seems. Be a great time to bring him back.

But hopefully we should see Kabuto come back soon, maybe? We should get the Kabuto Blu-Ray coming up, and with Faiz and Blade they got back most of their cast---maybe next year if they skip Hibiki lol.

EDIT: Of course, another huge issue with Kabuto (and Drive incidentally) is how the climatic pre-show event, in this case the Worm Meteor, is often ignored and the world seems relatively peaceful. I mean, we see in Drake's episode him giving makeup to that woman dead in the impact site, but basically scenes showing the destroyed area are few and far between and otherwise everything is hunky-dory.

Tiu Neo

He didn't know about their plan though. He was going by a hunch, and only had any evidence that something was wrong with the necklaces after meeting the Hoppers, but by that time he already had been unreasonably antagonistic to his friends.

Makes sense, but still, he could just have said "I feel something is wrong here". I know that's the kind of thing he did at the beginning of the series, but... meh, it ended up working in the end, so it's ok.

And thanks! I wanted the Hiyori/Kagami romance to go... somewhere. Kinda sad we never got it on the series.

EDIT: Of course, another huge issue with Kabuto (and Drive incidentally) is how the climatic pre-show event, in this case the Worm Meteor, is often ignored and the world seems relatively peaceful. I mean, we see in Drake's episode him giving makeup to that woman dead in the impact site, but basically scenes showing the destroyed area are few and far between and otherwise everything is hunky-dory.

Yeah, the impact on the series looked pretty... small. We even asked ourselves why didn't rebuild it (it became obvious why, as the series go on).

Even on the movie, where pretty much everything is destroyed, there are some peaceful places.

Watch Da Birdie

The Accel Movie...0.0

Can't believe I waited this long to watch it.

Don't know if I have much interest in checking out Eternal's movie though, he always seemed sort of a tryhard character...

shaowebb

Keep the Polymar impressions coming.

Watched episode 8

Well in episode 8 things get weird...you know...weirder than normal. You see usually its Polymar who is going around being a straight up demon to folks, but this time. NOPE. The villains decided it was time to step up.

We've seen Squirrels, Dobermen, Moles, Snakes, Spiders, Mantisesesidses (manti?), and now we face a truely diabolically themed villain gang.

Plants.

Like...thats it. Just, they're a fucking plant gang. Straight up. Plants. No shit. Fucking plants.

THAT MELT PEOPLE WITH ACID!
xEPePtF.gif

So uh...yeah. Hmm...that looked more like it poisoned some of those guys. Maybe we should double check that.
dyzZXKO.gif

Okay so the acid burns through stuff, and sorta kinda withers you out or something? Its the 70's man don't ask questions. Oh and btw that's the villain. A big ol' fat purple dude in tights exploiting a shunned elderly scientist's plant research on pollution mutating plants to create super acidic carnivorous pitcher plants . I think it might actually be Henchman 21 from Venture Bros ...

Elderly doctor's name is Dr. Hot and the fat guy is known as Dr. Lard by the way...no shit. That's really their names. HOT LARD.

Anyhow this episode gets odd. You see Polymar hangs out with a complete fucking wannabe detective named Joe Kuruma who doesn't pay his rent. The guy dresses all "hard boiled" in a white suit and has a periscope that he spies on the police with to get cases in hopes of solving them and becoming famous. Dude calls himself the next sherlock holmes and suuuuuuucks. Gets rent free I guess, but it was made clear in episode 1 he owes 3 years back rent to Terumi who is a wealthy land owners daughter and the landlord. She tags along because cases turn her on and because she likes polymar. She's dumb as a brick, buys lots of clothes and no one ever gets that their lazy trainee detective Takeshi is actually Polymar. Only one who gets it is their elderly retired police dog whose inner monologues we get.
Pen4t5n.jpg

Btw Polymar wears his bike helmet at all times. I guess its so he can transform like a driver belt in Kamen Rider, but it makes him look short bus special if you catch my drift.
fR6O2jR.png

aaaaaaanyhow shit goes down and something odd happens. Detective Kuruma ACTUALLY figures out something! Usually he's a clueless oaf but since I'm 8 episodes in (sorry I didn't mention him yet) I guess it was time for growth. Up till now he's fallen out of buildings, jumped to conclusions, been tied up by multiple gangs etc. This time he gets it though. Progress!

Anyhow shit goes down, Dr. Hot gets melted with Acid sprayed on him and Henchman 21 and Polymar start to fight because Polymar doesn't like Dr. Lard's attempt to steal all kinds of gold so he can buy himself his own country (yep...that was the plot). How does he start a fight? BY HITTING PEOPLE IN THE FACE WITH BRICKS AND THEN WIGGIN" OUT!

TMUrzu4.gif

7mdhiko.gif

rNRAuzu.gif

He wins and there isn't much more to it honestly. At least this time their was a body in spite of Polymar trying to blow up the bad guy by flying through his plain to blow it up.

Polymar is convoluted and weird, but the supporting cast is pretty fun. Joe Kuruma keeps showing how big a dumbass wannabe he is and Terumi keeps showing how much she hates Takeshi for disappearing and loves Polymar for his murderlicious tights wearing ways. Since its the 70's and Tatsunoko thats about as close to depth as you get. She even fights soon in the next episode which I'll break down later.

For now just know that while stupid Joe Kuruma is showing that he gets better and Teru is becoming less a brat and more of an asset who does more than pay for travel to other countries to track down gangs. Great series, but man...its brutal.

WarRock

The Accel Movie...0.0

Can't believe I waited this long to watch it.

Don't know if I have much interest in checking out Eternal's movie though, he always seemed sort of a tryhard character...
I had the exact same reactions when I finally watched Accel Returns last year :V

Still haven't watched Eternal's.

Boss Doggie

Now I understand why we wouldn't have Polymar live action film.

...it can't top the cartoon violence.

Watch Da Birdie

Apparently we got a trademark!

"Kamen Rider Ghost".

Interesting, as that doesn't immediately bring to mind "Fashion Rider" by the name alone...once again though, the Kamen Rider Break rumors end up being bizarrely prophetic since we got dancing, car gimmicks, and now possibly ghost M.C. from it.

BatDan

He's called Ghost
There's a rumored Fashion Motif.
Clearly this is the work an enemy Stand!

NeonZ

There was a new post (before this Ghost trademark popped up) apparently saying that although the Rider's design resembles clothing, the actual theme isn't fashion.

Top Bottom