• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

vareon

Drive: This episode and last week felt rushed in terms of police-ish investigating. It's like they had to advance the story a lot but still need to put police business there.

Heart is how you build up a villain for an entire season, though.

WarRock

Drive SUPER DYNAMIC COOKING TIME
Yeah, this episode felt super rushed. The focus on the villains is pretty good though, as is the Medic/Gou and Heart/Shinnosuke parallels.

Favorite moment was Gou and Shin activating their super modes and Chase just going "oh yeah, lemme grab my axe".

Mr-Joker

Banned
Just saw the leak scan for Kamen Rider Ghost, I mistook it as Deadpool at first glance.

But either way I like what I see and can't wait to watch Kamen Rider Ghost when it starts airing.

Anyway Ninninger 21 was fun, which is surprising as I don't usually like sport base episode.

Drive however was pretty good and I don't mind the police investigation being rushed if meant that Heart and Medic could have more screen time and build up to Heart hyper evolution.

Favorite moment was Gou and Shin activating their super modes and Chase just going "oh yeah, lemme grab my axe".

Chase is like hmm I don't need no super mode.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Reports are that Ghost starts in October right?
Counting the episodes until then, Drive should be 48 in total. Unless there's a Japanese holiday I'm unaware of.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I realized in this week's Drive, counting the flashback with DeadHeat, we actually saw all of his forms in one episode.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
no matter how much American localization of toku shows went, be fortunate that you did not produce garbage called this

mqHy4IH.jpg

jwk94

Has anyone been to power morphicon? Prices just went up for next year and I'm not sure if I want to go on Saturday or all three days.

vareon

There's an SIC design of Kamen Rider Mage. It's rather terrible, but at least it has a concept instead of a goddamn boyscout costume.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Going to need more info.

Shaider was pretty big in my country. So many years later (around late 2000's) a network decided to make their own take on Shadier. My country however runs on the fact that everything in TV must be soap opera. So imagine shitty CGI + terrible choreography + soap opera... in a fucking space sheriff attempt.

Apparently despite giving rights to do it Toei disassociated themselves from it.

you should be ashamed

Don't worry I declare it persona non grata

WarRock

That GanGan Sabre, huh...
axion-psu.jpg

Shaider was pretty big in my country. So many years later (around late 2000's) a network decided to make their own take on Shadier. My country however runs on the fact that everything in TV must be soap opera. So imagine shitty CGI + terrible choreography + soap opera... in a fucking space sheriff attempt.
Ah, I know how it is =/

WillyFive

Drive has lost me. I'm stuck at Episode 29, and can't even be bothered to finish the half-hour long episode. It's so boring and uninteresting to me.

Watch Da Birdie

Spectre's weapon is literally one of those extending-claws everyone's grandmother has. That toy has gotta sell a shit load, I mean, who didn't love playing with those as a kid?

Don't think I can post it since iirc it's a magazine scan. I saw it on /m/ earlier, although I'm unsure if it was legit or one of those mock-up S.I.C. models. It looked real, though.

Drive has lost me. I'm stuck at Episode 29, and can't even be bothered to finish the half-hour long episode. It's so boring and uninteresting to me.

Huh, most people seem to agree you're at the part where it got decent (or good, if you already enjoyed it). The next few episodes are pretty non-stop.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The scans arent magazine scans guys they are toy catalog scans. You can post them here. Its not a thing being sold in stores.

WillyFive

Huh, most people seem to agree you're at the part where it got decent (or good, if you already enjoyed it). The next few episodes are pretty non-stop.

The storyline certainly attempted to become more serious; but it is just falling flat to me. Mach's "He's my father!" story just seems cliche and uninspired, the character that was introduced to just annoy the main characters is also annoying me, the action is underwhelming and bland, and I don't care at all whatsoever about the whereabouts of the villain.

Watch Da Birdie

The storyline certainly attempted to become more serious; but it is just falling flat to me. Mach's "He's my father!" story just seems cliche and uninspired, the character that was introduced to just annoy the main characters is also annoying me, the action is underwhelming and bland, and I don't care at all whatsoever about the whereabouts of the villain.

You might either really like or really hate the next few episodes then...

javadoze

Gou in general seems kind of a weird character. It's like the story was supposed to be mainly about Shin and Chase, but then Gou had to be brought on as the mandatory secondary rider.

Watch Da Birdie

Gou in general seems kind of a weird character. It's like the story was supposed to be mainly about Shin and Chase, but then Gou had to be brought on as the mandatory secondary rider.

Yeah, I've heard Gou was added by Bandai for more toys. I imagine Mashin Chaser, since he already had his own toys and cross-compatibility with the Shift Cars, might have ended up turning good like he did in the show, but I bet he would've stayed as Mashin Chaser, an unofficial Rider, instead of getting a new Rider form based on Mach's Belt.

Of course being added 'cuz toys doesn't automatically make a character bad or anything, but that may explain why he feels very directionless around the mid-point of the show.

vareon

Im referring to the ghost stuff!

Oh lol you're right. It's an ad, essentially.

Yeah, I've heard Gou was added by Bandai for more toys. I imagine Mashin Chaser, since he already had his own toys and cross-compatibility with the Shift Cars, might have ended up turning good like he did in the show, but I bet he would've stayed as Mashin Chaser, an unofficial Rider, instead of getting a new Rider form based on Mach's Belt.

Of course being added 'cuz toys doesn't automatically make a character bad or anything, but that may explain why he feels very directionless around the mid-point of the show.

At least he's not simply left behind with no explanation, unlike some shows

Watch Da Birdie

Edison form looks great, Musashi is okay, and Newton is pretty bad.

That apple visor and Bop'Em, Sock'Em hands...

By the way, Edison's call out is "Electric! Hirameki!" (Hirameki works apparently just like our "flash", as it can be a flash of lightning or inspiration), while Musashi, as I can see, is just "Nitouryuu!" (Two-Sword Style).

So, Ghost gets Edison, Newton, and Musashi. Spectre gets Tut and Nobunaga like I guessed.

Robin is probably Ghost and Billy the Kid is probably Spectre? That leave Beethoven and Benkei.

Watch Da Birdie

Apparently all the call-outs seem to rhyme...but this will probably be lost when O-T translated most of them.

Robin's, though, won't...since it's "Hello! Arrow!" in katakana.

Self: “Let’s Go! Prepare yourself! Go-Go-Go-Ghost! (レッツゴー!覚悟!ゴ・ゴ・ゴ・ゴースト! Rettsugō! Kakugo! Go-go-go-gōsuto!)
Musashi: ”______! Two Sword Style!“ (______! 二刀流! _____! Nitōryū!)
Edison: "Electrical! Eureka! The Invention King!” (エレキ!ヒラメキ!発明王! Ereki! Hirameki! Hatsumei-ō!)
Robin: “Hello! Arrow! See you in the woods!” (ハロー!アロー!森で会おう! Harō! Arō! Mori de aou!)
Newton: “______! Attracting forces!” (_____! 引力! _____! Inryoku!)
Beethoven: “Composition! Destiny! Dun dun dun dunnn!” (曲名!運命!ジャジャジャジャーン! Kyokumei! Unmei! Jajajajān!)
Billy the Kid: “100 Shots! 100 Hits! Zukyūn! Bakyūn!” (百発! 百中! ズキューン!バキューン! Hyakuhatsu! Momonaka! Zukyūn! Bakyūn!)
Benkei: “Big Brother! Muscles! Daunting stance!” (アニキ!ムキムキ!仁王立ち! Aniki! Mukimuki! Niōdachi!)
Spectre: “Ready, go! Prepare yourself! Dokidoki! Ghost!” (レディゴー!覚悟!ド・キ・ド・キ!ゴースト! Redigō! Kakugo! Dokidoki! Gōsuto!)
Tutankhamun: “The pyramids are triangular! Credentials for Royalty! (ピラミッドは三角!王家の資格! Piramiddo wa sankaku! Ōke no shikaku!)
Nobunaga: "My Way of Life! Okehazama!” (我の生き様!桶狭間! Ga no ikizama! Okehazama!)

yami4ct

That SIC Mage is trying way too hard to let you know she's a female rider. It's kinda gross. I dislike the SIC line in general (mainly because I hate the way the head designs look on Rider suits), but that's an extra layer of awful.

Ghost stuff is shaping up, though. I don't dig it as much as Drive's stuff, but his suits are some of my all time favorites so that's not a huge diss. Gimmick is cooler than TK. Interested to see who the villain designs turn out. It'll certainly be hard to keep up with Drive on that front.

Watch Da Birdie

Until they ran out of all the other colored-paints and made everyone red...the design basis was also all over the place. You'd think the generals would all be like body parts and such like Heart and Brain, but then you have Medic, Freeze, and Gale.

And then the minor ones were like the Gaia Memories in that they were basically anything. Paint, Cook, Judge, etc.

I imagine the Ganma, the villains of Ghost, are probably going to have lots of eyes in their design and everything. Wonder if they're be based off Yokai, or other supernatural creatures...maybe they'll go back to animals.

javadoze

The forms for Ghost all look pretty nice.

Also, it appears as if the Ghost Eyecons don't include any electronics (like the Gaia Memories or Lockseeds), but instead will be more like the batteries in Kyoryuger in that they'll change appearance by hitting a button on them (which means all of the sounds are on the Ghost Driver itself).

Watch Da Birdie

2u5aB0F.gif

Apparently there's gonna be some special event in Japan where they'll be revealing more of Drive's backstory (the stuff we don't get in the show now), focusing on Dr. Banno. Damn.

Watch Da Birdie

So...the Condor Phone in Ghost isn't the usual cell-phone, it's an old rotary phone. :)

Seems all of Ghost's stuff's old-fashioned, with the Bat Clock being an analog clock and the Spider Lantern. Apparently the Cobra Mobile is Spectre's, and it's much more hi-tech.

Could not get into Ultraman, the leads always felt so lifeless.

The leads?

Ultraman Ginga had one of the HYPEST themes in all of Toku though. Seriously, this was amazing. Wish it was on a better show.

Top Bottom