• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
There's little cartoon images of each historical figure---wonder if this will be in the show?

MrJames079

Neo Member
Could not get into Ultraman, the leads always felt so lifeless.

Aww but Mebius is adorable
reverse-1277899575_crocodile-tears.gif

Tiu Neo

Pretty sure the new Rider is
Genpachi. You can see he's wearing the Anti-Density Shift backpack

Also a scan of Ghost in Surprise Future!

Kiriko
wore that backpack like, once, didn't she? The dream is still alive. But Genpachi is still cool as a Rider, too. If it was Chief, I wouldn't even be mad at Kiriko not getting powers.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kiriko
wore that backpack like, once, didn't she? The dream is still alive. But Genpachi is still cool as a Rider, too. If it was Chief, I wouldn't even be mad at Kiriko not getting powers.

If I'm not mistaken,
that backpack was only worn by Genpachi in one episode. Don't think we've seen it since.

Tiu Neo

If I'm not mistaken,
that backpack was only worn by Genpachi in one episode. Don't think we've seen it since.

Ohhh, I saw the scans now. It's the new backpack.

Orends has a few spoilers, not sure if it's true, but...
Gold is Banno, new Mach is a mass produced version, so everyone in the force can be a Kamen Rider, heh.

ReiGun

Hmm,
Mass produced Mach means the four rider henshin with Kiriko, Gou, Shin, and Chase is still alive. Though not as I wanted it.

Slayven

Blue Sky was literally a dude and two teenagers.

I remember that one episode about Blue Sky members getting arrested...what members?

Still though, Nago ruled. I'd love to see his actor come back again for a different role in Ghost. Or hell, IXA returns!

Hey they had a coffee shop too

vareon

I tried to make sense of Blue Sky (or Kiva, actually), but couldn't. Maybe I'm missing details from the show? Here's what I remember:

- The organization has been around for a long time, even before '86. They're developing Ixa suit.
- Fangires were roaming around back then, too.
- The comes the '86 storyline, which ends in Otoya dying, leaving Wataru Kivat and the Kiva powers
- The fangires, the organization, and Kiva does jack shit for 22 years until the first episode?
- Wataru looks like he's been Kiva for quite some time, Megumi was a hunter for quite some time, and they're upgrading Ixa for 22 years.
- Kiva and Blue Sky simply haven't crossed path before the start of the show
- When Ixa is done the organization is back to doing jack shit.

I wonder why make an organization at all, not just a group.

Watch Da Birdie

Blue Sky are like Mach in that they completely failed to actually accomplish anything until the Main Rider got involved.

WarRock

Dang, Ghost has eyes all over his suit and gear. Not sure how I feel about the giant eye on his chest and the markings on the legs... initially it seemed like it was only on the shins.

The masks are fucking great though. The lamp and the arrow with the apple shaping a face, so good.

Shinkenger might be the best heisei sentai group. With the exception of Pink being completely boring.
Don't you mean Green?

Leangle only has Jack Form, IIRC.

you are correct. There's a SIC Hero Saga version of Leangle King, but they haven't release it yet. I though they had.

Shinkenger might be the best heisei sentai group. With the exception of Pink being completely boring.

Nah, Kyoryuger and Gokaiger slot in ahead of it. I'm fuzzy on which one comes first, because I think I might enjoy Kyoryu more once you get rid of the Sentai Nostalgia.

Watch Da Birdie

Go-Onger is the best, though.

All great members + cute sidekick talking cars. What's not to like?

It looks worse than Dead Heat and Chaser combined.

Mass production models never look great. Kurokages, Mages, Shocker Riders, Riotroopers. Kurokage or Shockers look the best, because Kurokage was originally a single design and the Shocker Riders are just recolors.

alvmew

Mass production models never look great. Kurokages, Mages, Shocker Riders, Riotroopers. Kurokage or Shockers look the best, because Kurokage was originally a single design and the Shocker Riders are just recolors.

Now I want DiEnd to come back and use all of the new mass production/grunt riders we have in a little army like how he used to use the Riotroopers back in Decade.

Tiu Neo

Gokaiger has my favorite cast, but if it wasn't for Mako, maybe Shinkenger would be my second favorite with Kyoryuger.

Or maybe not, if you count the extra members. Ramirez and Tessai were awesome.

Watch Da Birdie

Riotroopers are easily the best design...and pretty much the first thing I think of when it comes to "Mass Produced Riders".

Funny thing is, their role in Faiz is actually extremely meager---outside of the movie, they're only, like in what, two episodes? And quickly get decommissioned. But their design is cool enough they stay with you.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ninninger 22

Holy shit Ha-Oh Shurikenjin is enormous. That's like second half of the series powerful. Meaning something is going to happen to make the combination impossible.
I will shake my head at Yakumo and Kinji being allowed to use Lion Ha-Oh, but choosing not to so Taka can have more screen time.

BatDan

Some new Ninninger scans are showcasing
Western
Yokai

Specifically, Dracula, the Frankenstein Monster, and the Werewolf

Slayven

Western
Yokai

I love when they call in new folks to raised the states. I shit on Goseiger but their monsters were on point

Tiu Neo

Ninninger 22

Fuuka
was technically the second one to get the hyper form? And just because Kasumi didn't want it? Nice, Lion Ha-oh is the best. Even when he's a tsundere.
Hehe. Takaharu being the obstacle was a nice touch too.

Things are happening kinda fast on this series. I hope the second half is like that too.

And now we have a robot riding a robot riding a robot. How far will this go?

Western
Yokai

Seriously? That's a nice spin on the theme.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Finished Zyuranger from Shout finally. One of the few sentais where I can say that the American counterpart was much better. The characters besides Bandora and Dan are SO fucking boring. Goldar is probably an upper tier rangers villain, but in super sentai he just sleeps all the time and can't even beat the Zyuranger when he has another monster there. And he doesn't talk at all.

Enjoyed seeing 1992 Japan bits, and I loved the closing theme despite it being nonsense, but so much of this one felt like they were still trying to figure out how to do sentai. Thankfully, Shout is subbing a much better sentai next.

BatDan

Finished Zyuranger from Shout finally. One of the few sentais where I can say that the American counterpart was much better. The characters besides Bandora and Dan are SO fucking boring. Goldar is probably an upper tier rangers villain, but in super sentai he just sleeps all the time and can't even beat the Zyuranger when he has another monster there. And he doesn't talk at all.

Enjoyed seeing 1992 Japan bits, and I loved the closing theme despite it being nonsense, but so much of this one felt like they were still trying to figure out how to do sentai. Thankfully, Shout is subbing a much better sentai next.

You do realize that Zyuranger was the 16th series right?
They had a pretty damn good idea of what to do with Sentai at this point. The season preceding it (Jetman) is considered one of the best, and before that there fan favorites like Sun Vulcan, Bioman, Changeman, Maskman, and Liveman.

Zyuranger was an off season, yes, but that shouldn't paint a picture of the franchise as a whole.

From that era, Dairanger is better.

WillyFive

Zyu was the boring one inbetween Jetman and Dairanger. It was the Goseiger of the 90s.

Tiu Neo

Good to know I'm not the only one who found Zyuranger boring. I kinda liked the Burai episodes, but the rest was meh.

Still have to watch Dairanger, but from that time, Jetman and Kakuranger are much, much better.

BatDan

Drive 39

It's looking like Surprise Future is canon... and we won't get to see it until around Christmas. Fuck.
Banno is one twisted mofo. Claims he's here to help, but then sets Shinnosuke on fire.
I am curious on Tornado's need for young women.

I was kind of hoping that Chase getting his driver's license would be like that one episode of DBZ. But it was just a side-story to the action..

Watch Da Birdie

The summer Sentai and Rider movies look hype as fuck. Who been drinking redbull at Toei?

Eh? It just looks like a regular episode to me, more or less, except with DINOSAURS. I sort of wish they'd give Sentai a bone and give them a major, plot-shaking movie for once.

Hyped as fuck for the Movie Monster Trio though. You can never go wrong with that motif.

Slayven

Eh? It just looks like a regular episode to me, more or less, except with DINOSAURS. I sort of wish they'd give Sentai a bone and give them a major, plot-shaking movie for once.

Hyped as fuck for the Movie Monster Trio though. You can never go wrong with that motif.

The attention looks like it's from the same people that did the ep where the first general died.

NeonZ

Would people really pay for a solo Sentai movie though? Sentai Vs movies have significantly lower box office than Rider and that's a movie with two teams.

Zynx

Drive 39
I am curious on Tornado's need for young women.
Probably wants the perfect model for his clothes or something.

Wonder what twist they'll throw in with Banno/Krim after the "Gou wasn't actually working with the Roidmules after all" arc.

BatDan

but those aren't yokai!

Yokai basically just means "legendary monster"
Dracula, the Frankenstein Monster, and the Werewolf are "legendary monsters" in their own way. Even the Slender Man can be considered a Yokai.

It's the same way that shows like Doctor Who or Flash can be considered Tokusatsu, even though they're not Japanese.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I dunno, they strike me more as "generic monster class" than youkai.

Also I ship Gen and christmas cake.

Slayven

Yokai basically just means "legendary monster"
Dracula, the Frankenstein Monster, and the Werewolf are "legendary monsters" in their own way. Even the Slender Man can be considered a Yokai.

It's the same way that shows like Doctor Who or Flash can be considered Tokusatsu, even though they're not Japanese.

might be splitting hairs but I always read it meant folktale monster. Like the big bad wolf could be considered a yokai.

NeonZ

might be splitting hairs but I always read it meant folktale monster. Like the big bad wolf could be considered a yokai.

Modern urban legend monsters/ghosts like "turbo hag" are considered Yokai too though. In its original Japanese usage, it's a very generic term.

Jakten

Yokai more so means strange phenomenon or something to that degree so basically anything that is weird could be classed as a yokai even a kaiju, alien, or possibly even something like a Moai statue.

So the Wolfman would be classed as a yokai but to be more specific he might be a bakemono which is a shapeshifter.

Top Bottom