• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
So how do you guys think a CW Kamen Rider series would do? Yes I'm asking because of the recent episode of The Flash lol.

depends on the writing staff. as long as they dont pull any supernatural/faiz like sit, it should be ok

ReiGun

I often wonder what it would take to have a western adaptation of Kamen Rider take off. It's just weird the property has never grabbed people. Though I'm sure it doesn't help the only two attempts have been dreadful.

Parallax

I often wonder what it would take to have a western adaptation of Kamen Rider take off. It's just weird the property has never grabbed people. Though I'm sure it doesn't help the only two attempts have been dreadful.

dragon knight wasnt that bad. but it definitely in the wrong place at the wrong time

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm surprised Toei hasn't tried to shop Kamen Rider to bigger companies in the heat of the current superhero craze. Giving it to someone big like Warner Bros, but someone that isn't trying their own superhero franchise.

WillyFive

Kamen Rider by itself is just too generic when placed alongside American superheroes; the general premise is just way too archetypical to too many other comic characters. There is no historical significance to it unlike Japan, it will have no defining traits to make it unique other than being filmed in live action for TV; unlike Sentai/PR which is its very own formula that no other superhero team can really claim.

I'm surprised Toei hasn't tried to shop Kamen Rider to bigger companies in the heat of the current superhero craze. Giving it to someone big like Warner Bros, but someone that isn't trying their own superhero franchise.

I'm surprised too. The First showed it could work.

8jjP16p.gif

Corgi

Banned
So the Flash is something worth watching?

Liked the pilot, but didn't feel like they could keep up that effects budget.

Still need to catch up on arrow as well. stopped at like eps 7 or somewhere, after dude makes out with the other revenge person.

Still need to catch up on arrow as well. stopped at like eps 7 or somewhere, after dude makes out with the other revenge person.

They've largely kept up with it so far. They use it sparingly enough that it never feels like the budget is struggling.

dragon knight wasnt that bad. but it definitely in the wrong place at the wrong time

Boom.

The pacing killed the show before it could do anything and when it finally did something it didn't take advantage of the opportunity.

I think it may be time for a runback of it because now that I understand where they were going with it maybe I can appreciate it a bit more.

EDIT: Ninninger is oozing the swag right now! I think this going to be another one of those goodies.

jwk94

Wizard was loaded with wasted potential.
By the end I just didn't care. It says something when
Koyomi dies
and I just don't have it in me to care.

You mean Kamen Rider Dragon Knight?

Nah I mean CW not the morning block. Something that would run alongside Arrow and The Flash in those primetime hours....preferably with a primetime budget and crew.

As my sister said when she saw me watching Dragon Knight: "You're watching that Power Rangers ripoff?"

If KR were to come back to the US for whatever reason, it would have to do something to distance itself from PR.

Enjoyed Nininger first episode, some awkward action cuts though. White will get me through this series even if it turns terrible.

WillyFive

Nah I mean CW not the morning block. Something that would run alongside Arrow and The Flash in those primetime hours....preferably with a primetime budget and crew.

That's what I was thinking as well, but that will mean not using the Japanese show footage (since the vast majority is designed to sell toys and uses CG that will instantly turn off any audience used to seeing American TV budget CGI from shows like Flash, GoT, or Once Upon A Time)

This frees them to do something original, but if they just do the standard Kamen Rider 1 story, it won't hold up unless they made some changes to it (like if they remake W or Den-O or Fourze or any of the more original Rider stories),

WarRock

O-T's site is offline? Huh.

The OOO Driver is one of the few that could theoretically fit in a pocket.
OOO is pretty bad since he never put the medals away, and besides the belt he had the scanner AND the Medalijibur in hammerspace. Actually, I don't think the scanner was ever shown before the sword/TaJaDor.

So how do you guys think a CW Kamen Rider series would do? Yes I'm asking because of the recent episode of The Flash lol.
Man, All New Ghost Rider is basically KR. And fits Drive, since he's a car aficionado instead of a bike one.

It's very solid. If you enjoy toku, you probably will like it. As MHWilliams said, the effects are used sparingly, so we keep seeing impressive stuff mid season. Something Toei could learn, no doubt.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I am really enjoying Kamen Rider Drive, though I will admit that it took awhile for me to really get into it. But it wasn't until episode 10 when it clicked for me.

I also have been watching Super Sentai Jetman, really enjoying it though I need to get back to finish watching the rest.

It doesn't help that people see it as a Power Ranger clone when in fact Kamen Rider pre-dated and is largely different in story structure.

Makes me wonder how people will take to my stories which are similar to Kamen Rider.

I'm surprised too. The First showed it could work.

8jjP16p.gif

Man I really need to get round to watch Kamen Rider First.

But but he looked so cool in that gif. ;_; What is wrong with Kaman Rider First?

The suit design and action and stuff in The First are all really cool, the story is just a bit melodramatic and wanky. I think it's still worth a watch for Rider fans, just keep your expectations in check.

WillyFive

Was I the only one that didn't care much at all for The First/The Next suits? It seemed like the stereotypical gritty fan redesign that lost all of the appeal it had in the first place.

My favorite version of the original Rider suits are still the digitally altered versions of the normal suits used in Megamax, the altered colors kept the cartoony-manga look to it that makes it iconic while hiding the really dated suit designs.

NeonZ

Was I the only one that didn't care much at all for The First/The Next suits? It seemed like the stereotypical gritty fan redesign that lost all of the appeal it had in the first place.

The suits used in The First are pretty close modernizations of the original suits used in the beginning of the tv show.

Toys based on the original suit from the original series
Rider 1
af86c534819d823211e8670843a65b51.image.434x500.jpg

Rider 2
BANDAI_SH_FIGUARTS_KAMEN_RIDER_ICHIGO_1_ORIGINAL_COLORS_01.jpg
Promotional image from "The First"

The only detail that's darker is Rider 2 having green stripes rather than silver ones. "The Next" is the one that goes out of its way to make the suits there darker than in the original series, since those later designs had brighter colors but in "The Next" have just as muted or even more muted colors than in "The First".

My favorite version of the original Rider suits are still the digitally altered versions of the normal suits used in Megamax, the altered colors kept the cartoony-manga look to it that makes it iconic while hiding the really dated suit designs.

I love the First suits. I'm not sure they've lost anything but their pudgy looks.

tumblr_nfh06g8gqI1t09s5jo1_500.jpg

to
the+next.jpg

The color is only the same on Ichigo because it's the Sakurajima colors.
latest

WarRock

Probably. Leather just looks good and fits the characters very well. Plus I hated how... "baggy" (?) the chest looked on the Megamax suits.

ReiGun

The puffy "muscles" is something I just can't get into with the Showa riders' suits. In that regard, much preferred the more subdued look on The First suits.

Parallax

The puffy "muscles" is something I just can't get into with the Showa riders' suits. In that regard, much preferred the more subdued look on The First suits.

id love to see the first style redesigns of the showa suits. especially stronger

WillyFive

It's the leather and the bolts that really throw me off; I think it looks terrible.

The original Rider designs were to me all about being simple and striking:

I think Toei could make an updated modern suit that captures this aesthetic without going overboard and adding a ton of extra and gaudy details into the suits. For example, the Fourze suits did a great job of being visually simple and yet striking, and the worst parts of Rider 1 and 2's suits are due to the limitations of 70's suit designs, not the designs themselves.

NeonZ

It's the leather and the bolts that really throw me off; I think it looks terrible.

The original tv show used leather for Rider suits during the entire first half, they only changed to cloth in the second one, probably because it was cheaper or easier for the suit actors. That stuck and they've never been remade with leather again, aside from complete redesigns like in The First or Rider 3.

WarRock

I can see your point about the bolts, but it still fits IMO. It's more a fantasy biker costume than a super-hero costume, and that change certainly is something that may feel off for some.

vs
There is a space for both, but the former certainly could appear more (or at least in a good movie/show for once).

Parallax

I can see your point about the bolts, but it still fits IMO. It's more a fantasy biker costume than a super-hero costume, and that change certainly is something that may feel off for some.

vs

There is a space for both, but the former certainly could appear more (or at least in a good movie/show for once).

well taki rider is a thing, so i guess all it would take would be bringing to reality

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Maybe this will be the first Sentai I watch through live...

Tried it with ToQger but...nope.

I dont think KR would work on us tv unless they went the kuuga route and kept it grounded like a police procedural that just happened to be about this awesome dude and his police friend bro that go around and solve crimes.

I think a Garo us adaptation would be an easier sell , and would work well if they kept the fight coreography up and take out the requsite boobs that show up each season.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I dont think KR would work on us tv unless they went the kuuga route and kept it grounded like a police procedural that just happened to be about this awesome dude and his police friend bro that go around and solve crimes.

I think a Garo us adaptation would be an easier sell , and would work well if they kept the fight coreography up and take out the requsite boobs that show up each season.

That could also work for W. Make it even more detective focused than the original.

OR they could put a Garo adaptation on HBO and show even more boobs.

id love to see the first style redesigns of the showa suits. especially stronger

That'd essentially be M.A.N.T.I.S.

MANTIS.jpg

If you're starting with a kids show, I'd do Den-O or Kabuto first.

Top Bottom