• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

vareon

Wcij8Jz.jpg

Ghost's glossy face will be a nightmare to all directors.

I feel like the budget of Ghost is already dead.

We've got stock footage transformations (sort of what Kiva did with its finishers), and it seems like Ghost going invisible when transforming will be another cheap way to have him transform without having to show it lol. Gotta say though I like the touch of him disappearing when he transforms.

Now I realize his friends have absolutely NO CLUE what's going on when he fights, and he probably has to explain it to them. "And then my bike merged with a pirate ship into a giant iguana..." I bet one of big shakeups mid-season is that Ghost and the Ganma become visible to regular folks and cause a panic.

I actually welcomed the stock footage transformations once in a while. That and the swishy sound effects just before the OP kinda feels like the older shows.

shaowebb

As promised here are pics of my complete haul from Tsubasacon 2015. Yesterday you saw my cell phone Ankh charm and here are the other goodies.

First off I found in an old pile a Captain Commando...
s9P9kgB.jpg

Next up, is something new for me. My first Sentai merch! Go Buster Red with bike that transforms...
aDjw79C.jpg

Now for something cool and toku. I found Kamen Rider Mach and Mashin Chaser chibis! Plus they also had Shadow Moon! The series also has Technic Drive and Kamen Rider Black but those were gone sadly...

T8F6Vzn.jpg

Next up is something new...my second Sentai merch! I found Chibis of AkibaRed/Blue/Yellow

KGi42Si.jpg

Love them chibis...they fit so well on my desk just like that Kamen Rider Skull and Decade I got last year. Speaking of which that vendor opened the blind boxes this year so I could grab what I wanted! Here's Kamen Riders Zanki, Faiz, Climax Form Den O (not super climax...no seig lol) and Tamashii OOOs(woo! Movie only form with Shocker medal!)

DGPmT05.jpg

Finally I found something nice...a High quality cast Kamen Rider Kabuto Statue!

V7GvSnZ.jpg

Its a fun time on my desk now :p

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
oh so that's Doggie's story

so apparently that beetle guy pretended to be him, making the others think he was the one who committed murder of the girl's father
. Sucks that he spends most of the movie
injured
but he still gets appropriate screen time and
apparently in the end he and Swanna continues to be a happy couple and he resumes his job
. Also they never really stop showing him without that coat eh?

Also
the other deka red and yellow are evil

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think it's time to retire the Chief, but I don't know who'll I'll use from Ghost...

Onari and Sage are definately top contenders, but I think using bad teeth dude would be funny too.

WarRock

O-T pics for the Ghost release posts are the best.

Ghost 2
I love the opening. I recognize that badger (?) statue too.

No two parters with the more wacky, cartoony narrative and art direction (H2O earrings?) coupled with the strong suit design (and the cool belt jingles) are making Ghost very interesting to me. The characters are all whatever at the moment (Sage is cool tho') but at least don't seem to be useless ('sup Wizard supporting cast). On the other hand, too early to judge ('sup Rinko).

The overall direction of the show is somewhat nostalgic for me, anybody else feeling the same?

Watch Da Birdie

Well, it looks like next episode is already addressing the part about Akari being so stubborn about the supernatural, which would quickly grow tiresome otherwise.

I have a feeling poor Onari is gonna be one of the last characters who learns how to see ghosts though.

And yeah, I agree it has a very nostalgic and somewhat simple feel to it. It's got a lot of energy that sometimes modern shows sort of lack.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Akari's shtick is already old.

That said, youd basically need to change your avatar every week as sage goes from weird costume to weird costume

That opening is extra Shonen to go with that overly Shonen song. Go all in, Toei! Go all in!

I was feeling the episode and if this is how the early going will be then I'm with it. I just wonder how far this goes in this direction before the shift in tone sets in?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm not really feeling the song sadly, maybe because it lacks the oomph of Gaim or Drive.

oh god the CGIfest tho

vareon

The overall direction of the show is somewhat nostalgic for me, anybody else feeling the same?

The way the sage explained Takeru need to become Kamen Rider Ghost and later explained his powers as a giant floating head feels nostalgic somehow, I feel the same.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ninninger 33

The hornet monster was basically Baby 5. Misinterpreting Yakumo's threats as declarations of love.
Also, stop being a westaboo Yakumo, it's really weird. Then again that's probably how Japanese people feel about weeaboos.

Next week is going to be hype though. Even though I never watched Jiraiya, or any Metal Heroes series. Maybe a couple episodes of VR Troopers when I was a kid...

Ghost 2

Opening was the most shonen fucking thing ever. You guys were right when you said it fit better with Naruto than Kamen Rider.

I hope there's an elephant monster and he uses Edison to defeat it. Should have been a Tesla power-up...
Of course it wouldn't be early Rider without dreaful CGI. Captain Ghost isn't going to stick around, and if he is they'll find a way to make him not CGi.

Onari is crazy hammy. I hope they don't overdo Akari's Agent Scully mindset.
Despite my complaints, that episode was a lot of fun.
Robin Hood form looks badass

NeonZ

I hope there's an elephant monster and he uses Edison to defeat it. Should have been a Tesla power-up...

Some people are actually speculating that the monster was Tesla. In the 1st episode, you get Musashi vs a swordsman associated with birds (Kojiro was known for being so quick he could cut birds, but he was killed by Musashi), and in this episode the enemy had electricity powers, design might be a reference to a Tesla Coil and then the CG form might have been a reference to the Philadelphia experiment urban legend. Nothing regarding those allusions is officially confirmed right now though.

WarRock

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention about Ghost: bike pulled from his ass again. It's going to be this sort of Rider show again, eh...

Ninnin 32
Alright episode, the big thing is next week.

Also, stop being a westaboo Yakumo, it's really weird. Then again that's probably how Japanese people feel about weeaboos.
WHAT ABOUT HIS LAWNMOWER

Watch Da Birdie

There's a theory that the Ganma will all be "wronged" Ghost or those history made into the losers compared to the Eyecon Ghosts.

But it seems the Ono Ganma is Little John, who wasn't really wronged, and then we've got the Book Ganma who is probably Lewis Carroll, who doesn't have a counterpart since I think that's popping up in the Newton episode?

javadoze

Ghost 2

-The OP is kinda silly, but the good kind. Shonen as hell and loving it.

-While last week's proceedings felt rather abrupt, this episode thankfully slows the pace down to something more manageable, lending more focus to the gravity of Takeru's situation.

And yeah, I agree it has a very nostalgic and somewhat simple feel to it. It's got a lot of energy that sometimes modern shows sort of lack.

-That's another thing, the show has a dark premise, but it doesn't quite feel "depressing". At the same time, it doesn't feel pointlessly "light" either, the show knows how to balance its own tone well.

This episode has me feeling optimistic for where the show is going to go. The characters are pretty endearing, the action is solid, and everything seems to be moving at a brisk pace.

Tiu Neo

Ninninger 33

Oh god, this episode. Yakumo episodes are always the weirder ones.

NEXT WEEK.

Ghost 02

Edison eyecon should give Takeru the power of stealing other people powers, heh.

Nice episode, I like the support characters. It was also a nice setup for what is to come, let's see if it keeps up

I liked the henshin sequence with the hoodie dancing around him, heh. They have a lot of personality.

Ghost 02
I really enjoy this episode overall. It has a pretty good pace in it and the supporting cast in this episode is pretty good to see them interact with each other.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ninninger 33

Ah yes Romeo and Juliet, every English studied that text during High school.

Don't know why but I actually enjoyed this episode plus Kasumi was beautiful as usual.

Ghost 2.

Ghost isn't clicking with me just and I really don't like the Monk guy, they need to dial him down a tad bit. But I am sure Ghost will click with me eventually, Drive didn't click with me until Episode 10.

Also I think that Toei made the mistake in thinking Robin Hood is a real person when in fact he is a fictional character.

jwk94

Dino Charge 15 spoilers:

So Prince Phillip just found the energem like that? Kinda funny and sad on the rangers part. Overalll, this was a pretty good episode, although one thing bothered me: What's going on with Graphite's sleevs? Kyoryu Navy's sleeves weren't blue so why are his?

javadoze

Truly, we live in the darkest timeline. (Seriously though, this gets localized, but no Battride? Why, Bamco?)

Romance Sentai Ninninger 33

God damn, this romance...
The serious trumpet music with their showdown was too amazing.

Soo next week...
do the Ninningers just happen to live in a world where Kakuranger, Hurricanger, and Jiraiya all seem to inhabit?
Would be pretty interesting to see if this gets reflected in the Winter teamup movie to the logical extent.

WarRock

Truly, we live in the darkest timeline. (Seriously though, this gets localized, but no Battride? Why, Bamco?)
XGFRZkg.jpg

Seriously, didn't the Gundam, Hokuto no Ken, One Piece and Saint Seiya musou games sold decent? One would expect that Battride would be the safest bet even without the brand recognition instead of Summonride...

Tiu Neo

Romance Sentai Ninninger 33

God damn, this romance...
The serious trumpet music with their showdown was too amazing.

Soo next week...
do the Ninningers just happen to live in a world where Kakuranger, Hurricanger, and Jiraiya all seem to inhabit?
Would be pretty interesting to see if this gets reflected in the Winter teamup movie to the logical extent.

Goranger too, since Akaranger makes a cameo. Maybe the plot twist is that they live on the crossover/Gokaiger universe.

And, if that game rumor is true, I hope it doesn't need the toys to get everything.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Seriously, didn't the Gundam, Hokuto no Ken, One Piece and Saint Seiya musou games sold decent? One would expect that Battride would be the safest bet even without the brand recognition instead of Summonride...

One Piece sold so well that the third game actually got a retail release.
I'd say "Gundam, Fist of the North Star and Saint Seiya have cult followings and that's why they localized those titles". But then Kamen Rider has a cult following too.
*shrugs*

Is Saban behind it?

Why would they be? They've haven't shown any interest in bringing Kamen Rider over.
Sure, they trademarked "Power Rider", but nothing came of it and the trademark lapsed.

On another note, Debo Kyaween confirmed for Dino Charge. At least her vampire form is confirmed. I'm not surprised they chose not to adapt that episode, the implications are... disturbing.

Tiu Neo

One Piece sold so well that the third game actually got a retail release.
I'd say "Gundam, Fist of the North Star and Saint Seiya have cult followings and that's why they localized those titles". But then Kamen Rider has a cult following too.
*shrugs*

Why would they be? They've haven't shown any interest in bringing Kamen Rider over.
Sure, they trademarked "Power Rider", but nothing came of it and the trademark lapsed.

On another note, Debo Kyaween confirmed for Dino Charge. At least her vampire form is confirmed. I'm not surprised they chose not to adapt that episode, the implications are... disturbing.

Well, if the first Saint Seiya PS3 game got enough sales, releasing only on limited territories, I don't see why Kamen Rider couldn't do that too.

Any European countries were KR was big?

Tiu Neo

They should do a Sentai musou game. And then bring it west as Power Rangers Warriors.

They even have names for some of the older teams, thanks to Super Megaforce!

Top Bottom