• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

Tiu Neo

Finished GAIM.

Great story, almost no boring or filler episodes (save for the movie tie-ins). I liked the twists it had every couple episodes.

Weak point? Mai. Didn't like her at all. Non-Rider support characters didn't do much for me, too, but the café boss and the waitress were good.

From the Riders, most were great. Oren and Junoichi were the best, and Micchi... eh, without spoiling too much, but I didn't like how his character developed. His motivations were kinda... weak, sometimes.

Faiz

Bored me to tears. Nearly fell asleep on it, which may have been partly due to when I was watching it (commute home after work in the back seat of a relatively dark car), but the cartoony scientist worshipping Edison was awful. May be going into wait-and-see mode with this show soon.

Faiz

Well at least it's not yet Wizard level.

I also took a wait and see on Wizard after a couple episodes. Never went back when grapevine said it didn't recover.

Wait and see has been been my pattern since...Kabuto I think. Only two I've stuck with from the beginning since then were OOO and Fourze.

NeonZ

Wizard was not Wizard level at episode 2.

Well, we know that they're planning story arcs for this show (since the 99 days seem to pass in real time
and we're getting the 15 eyecons by the 2nd quarter
, which means a new arc at that point), rather than just dragging on the status quo until the final few episodes like Wizard did.

shaowebb

A single character debut episode doesn't make a train wreck as big as Wizard was.

Wizard was like seeing an idea pushed aside ENTIRELY for the sake of trying to push new merch every episode and to feature guest actors. The entire show followed this format.

• Reveal new power every 2 episode arc
  • every 2 episode new cast would show up and the show would entirely focus on them or the supporting cast trying to help them. All characterization was focused on bit characters and throwaway cast.
  • Lose more and more action scenes that showcase the suit actor's phenomenal athletic ability and throw away all that exciting choreography to try and repeatedly show more and more of the rings.
  • Win and have very little plot or character development. Everything ties up with a neat little bow and instead of continuing problems that build into something you just start over every 2 episodes.

Honestly had they focused on the main character, instead of the bit players and throwaways we might have had something. The actor is actually decent, and he had some interesting aspects with the whole feeding mana to others thing. I'd have made it severely detrimental to him in a progressive manner like Zeronos and memories. Also screw adding more rings. Showcase those fighting moves. Yes they need to sell toys, but toys sell more for a good show than a bad one. Less rings, but higher quality scenes using the best ones would have been great. Also for a final form why didn't they do the obvious and give him a Brass Knuckle style ring he could use? It'd be visually bigger and thus more powerful, merchandisable, and make a lot of sense.

Sigh...just so disappointed. Great theme, great premise, great suit actors, competent main actor, and it all was ruined by terrible writers and bad pacing.

WarRock

You are highlighting less than a third of that show's problems. The misuse of side characters (Koyomi's actress could do big parts frequently? That's ok, but then recognize that NO VIEWER CARES ABOUT HER. Infinity being based on her was wrong. And hey, why the fuck are you not using Rinko, Nitou, Golem, Mage and essentially every other fucking character on the show as something else besides standing around?) and soundtrack was just baffling. I believe Rinko's theme was played once in the entire show? Seriously, go listen to the OST. It's amazing but you never heard most of it (or heard it in an horrible mix during bad written dialog).

The choreography and corporal language of the suit actors suddenly disappeared, then we have the clusterfuck of bad written villains, Haruto's actions making no sense at the end (even though 99% of the time he had no personality at all)...

By the way, a brass knuckle ring was a no go. The toys had warnings about the dangers for your fingers and that's why Wizard used only palm strikes and elbows - so the kids didn't smashed their fingers or friend's faces =)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
How has Dino Charge been? I've seen the first two episodes back when they premiered and liked what I saw.

It's pretty good.
Lots of original footage and plotlines (showing that the four prior seasons have been lazy shitty efforts)
The Rangers are very likable (Koda is king)
Best Sixth in a long time (since Doggie in SPD at least, I don't count Sam as the Sixth).

Only things holding it back are the music (sadly Noam Kaniel is basically immune to ever getting kicked out) and Nickelodeon's shitty scheduling.

NeonZ

http://www.cinematoday.jp/page/N0077325

First actual image of Super Movie Wars Genesis. It also apparently reveals the villain - Century Genius Leonardo da Vinci Vs Kamen Rider. I guess, indirectly, this also confirms people speculation that the Ganma themselves are based on famous historical figures too.

Drive's new form is Kamen Rider Zero Drive.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ah yeah, Rinko. What a waste of character.

http://www.cinematoday.jp/page/N0077325

First actual image of Super Movie Wars Genesis. It also apparently reveals the villain - Century Genius Leonardo da Vinci Vs Kamen Rider. I guess, indirectly, this also confirms people speculation that the Ganma themselves are based on famous historical figures too.

Drive's new form is Kamen Rider Zero Drive.

Wait

Edison is a good guy ghost while Da Vinci is evil?

Oh Japan

Sandfox

Wizard had a satisfying ending at least, which can't be said for certain other series.
You are highlighting less than a third of that show's problems. The misuse of side characters (Koyomi's actress could do big parts frequently? That's ok, but then recognize that NO VIEWER CARES ABOUT HER. Infinity being based on her was wrong. And hey, why the fuck are you not using Rinko, Nitou, Golem, Mage and essentially every other fucking character on the show as something else besides standing around?) and soundtrack was just baffling. I believe Rinko's theme was played once in the entire show? Seriously, go listen to the OST. It's amazing but you never heard most of it (or heard it in an horrible mix during bad written dialog).

The choreography and corporal language of the suit actors suddenly disappeared, then we have the clusterfuck of bad written villains, Haruto's actions making no sense at the end (even though 99% of the time he had no personality at all)...

By the way, a brass knuckle ring was a no go. The toys had warnings about the dangers for your fingers and that's why Wizard used only palm strikes and elbows - so the kids didn't smashed their fingers or friend's faces =)

I liked Koyomi the most out of the other side characters, but her actress getting busy part way through the show messed with her appearances.

Reishiki

Banned
I really wanted to like Wizard.

Rest of my stuff showed up, thanks to whoever it was who recommended Amazon!

wj6bTdT.jpg

Might want to get a Mach Driver at some point...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I really wanted to like Wizard.

Rest of my stuff showed up, thanks to whoever it was who recommended Amazon!

http://i.imgur.com/wj6bTdT.jpg[img]

Might want to get a Mach Driver at some point...[/QUOTE]

That was me. You're welcome! :D

If money weren't so tight, I'd definitely nab a Drive Driver from Amazon. But at the same time I feel like they're probably going to remain pretty cheap, so I'm in no rush.

BatDan

Dino Charge Halloween Special (21)

Yep, that was a clip show. Well, half of it at least. Pretty good set-up for one too.
At least we got a fight in. Though the appearance of the Pachy Zord tells me this was supposed to air after next week's episode
with the Prince becoming the Graphite Ranger
. Oops.

Still better than Trickster Treat.

NeonZ

O-T just released Dekaranger 10 Years After.

Hope it's a lot better than the Hurricanger one.

It feels much closer to an actual "next episode after the ending" type story than the Hurricanger one did, which felt way too much like just an excuse for an actor reunion. There's still one element which is fairly odd and only was thrown there to make a reference to something that happened with the actress in real life though.

Tiu Neo

It feels much closer to an actual "next episode after the ending" type story than the Hurricanger one did, which felt way too much like just an excuse for an actor reunion. There's still one element which is fairly odd and only was thrown there to make a reference to something that happened with the actress in real life though.

Just watched it, it's true. A lot better than the Hurricanger one, made sense with the series, explained a few things like the fast judgement system.

Jasmine
marrying that boy was strange. Is that what you are talking about?

Hobo Hoji
being just a plan, so he could investigate without nobody noticing was kinda weird too, but made some sense in the end.

I like the Sen and Umeko scenes too.
They're still dating, 10 years later? Man, Sen sure is slow.

About the plot...
Neo Dekas were actually traitors was clear as day, but the rest of the plot was pretty much a big episode. The giant battle wasn't really needed. It was weird, since it used a lot of old footage mixed with new footage, too.

And, in the end, both Neo Dekas died when the big bad was executed? Cold.

Doggie and Swan finally declaring for each other at the end was sweet.

Good movie overall, fits well with the series, even if it has some weirdness in it.

NeonZ

Just watched it, it's true. A lot better than the Hurricanger one, made sense with the series, explained a few things like the fast judgement system.

Jasmine
marrying that boy was strange. Is that what you are talking about?

Yeah. Her actress married a man 8 years older than her, rather than younger, but it's pretty clear they threw
the marriage and baby there just due to her actress' personal life

Slayven

I don't think the ghosts are actual ghosts, more like the inspiriation and feelings about them from humans given form. Like Imagins or Greeeds

shaowebb

Ya know I had never even considered that a Rider with ring powers would have kids punching each other with rings. Man my knuckle duster idea, while fitting for a final form, would have just been a lawsuit waiting to happen lol!

Makes me kinda apprehensive over what may have gone down back in the Kabuto days with Kamen Rider Bee's "Rider Sting".

DQYUC4C.png

Goodbye eyeball...

But it's pretty clear they threw
the marriage and baby there just due to her actress' personal life

Damn, I chalked that to Kyoryuger.

10 Years After was too good!

Just a reminder as to why nothing has unseat Dekaranger as my favorite Sentai!

Wonderful to see everybody and it just felt like another episode of the show!

I WANT MORE!

WarRock

Ya know I had never even considered that a Rider with ring powers would have kids punching each other with rings. Man my knuckle duster idea, while fitting for a final form, would have just been a lawsuit waiting to happen lol!

Makes me kinda apprehensive over what may have gone down back in the Kabuto days with Kamen Rider Bee's "Rider Sting".

http://i.imgur.com/DQYUC4C.png

Goodbye eyeball...
I never thought about TheBee's Sting. Huh, maybe that's one of the reasons weapons are basically big plastic sticks nowadays?

BatDan

Ninninger Jiraiya 34

That was a nice crossover. Weird Yokai but it was enjoyable.
Though this makes me wonder if Ninninger's ratings are floundering since they're doing a second Ninja crossover. At least the first one made sense since it was the 40th anniversary of Super Sentai.
At least we'll see the Jiraiya Shuriken again since they've been using the Kakuranger and Hurricanger Shuriken multiple times.

Yoshi's cameo was fun, I'm surprised he got two lines.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
wait, why would Fuuka critical hit Kasumi?

Also I never knew ninjas are actually a household thing in Ninninger.

Slayven

Been enjoying Ninnger, but it feels like they been spinning their wheels, the story isn't really progressing. They are in that 30s slump that hits all toku shows. To early for the end game, too late to b bring in any serious story elements.

NeonZ

Been enjoying Ninnger, but it feels like they been spinning their wheels, the story isn't really progressing. They are in that 30s slump that hits all toku shows. To early for the end game, too late to b bring in any serious story elements.

I feel like that has been Ninninger's biggest weakness through the show. These Yokai seem to be the most passive villain faction since the Zangyack. No, they're probably even more passive than them. After the first general was killed, the two new generals introduced afterwards somehow seem to do even less. I like the Ninninger themselves, but due to how static the show is I lost all the enthusiasm for new episodes, aside from a couple of exceptions, like this Jiraiya one.

Slayven

I feel like that has been Ninninger's biggest weakness through the show. These Yokai seem to be the most passive villain faction since the Zangyack. No, they're probably even more passive than them. After the first general was killed, the two new generals introduced afterwards somehow seem to do even less. I like the Ninninger themselves, but due to how static the show is I lost all the enthusiasm for new episodes, aside from a couple of exceptions, like this Jiraiya one.

The queen is a lost cause, but the old man started off out smarting the ninngers and almost got them a few times. Now he just mainly sits in the back and comments on shit. I thought thye were going somewhere with the new animal themed monsters. But they like the western yokai went nowhere except for new zords

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The old dude Yokai is the "Medic" of Ninninger as far as I'm concerned, was set up to be a major player with his own agenda but was quickly sidelined in favor of new enemies (in Drive, Freeze and Nira, in Ninninger, the lady, Western Yokai, Iyazoi Ninja) and has been pushed to a bit-player.

Like Medic he'll probably have a quickly resolved plotline at the tail end, but feels forced and rushed.

Tiu Neo

Jiraiya with Special Guests Ninninger

Hey, I remember this Yokai from Kakuranger! Always a great power.

Jiraiya as
President Ninja?
I like it.

And wait, with his shuriken they can
summon his sword anytime they want
? Overpowered.

Dad being a fan was funny, heh.

Next week,
They didn't forget about that Kinji plotline, I'm surprised! Also, Mega-Nagi, for some reason.

Top Bottom