• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

vareon

I don't think that was the case. She just didn't go all "Anything weird that happens MUST be the work of the villains!"

I thought people made fun of Kotaro for that even though he obviously ends up right since they won't make an episode about the protagonists making a fool of themselves following false leads with no villains around.

Hence almost. Considering the batshit crazy things she saw her last few days, not to mention being in one herself, "could it be a Ganma?" would be the first conclusion to random flying items.

It's nowhere near the extremes of Kotaro, who literally stopped his bike to soothe a crying girl and thinking "This must be Golgom's plot".

Any Garo series in particular I should start with, or should I just go down the line/watch all of them?

The rough timeline is:

Original Plotline - Kouga Saezima
1. Garo (Series)
2. Demon Beast of the Midnight Sun (Special)
3. Red Requiem (Movie)
4. Kiba Gaiden (Special)
5. Makai Senki (Series)
6. Demon Dragon of the Blue Cries (Movie)
7. Zero: Black Blood (Mini-Series)
8. Garo Gaiden: Tougen no Fue/The Tongen Flute (Movie)

Generation 2 Plotline - Raiga Saezima (Kouga's Son)
1. Garo: Makai no Hana/Makai Flower (Series)
2. Biku: Yamigirinochi (Movie)

Way in the Future Plotline - Ryuga Dogai
1. Garo: Yami o Terasu Mono/One Who Shines in the Darkness (Series)
2. Garo: Goldstorm (Movie)
3. Garo: Goldstorm (Series)

Distant Spanish Past Plotline - Leon Luis
1. Garo: The Animation

Distant Japanese Past Plotline - Raikou
1. Garo: Crimson Moon

You can start with any of the bolded and work your way down.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ninninger 35

Holy shit, Nagi turned awesome this episode. Why did it take so long for this to happen? That was some Platinum level crazy.
I'm glad they followed up on Kinji's attempt at attaining Yokai power. That cliffhanger at the end though... damn you Golfgam!

Ghost 4

I don't know what you guys saw but that episode was great. Takeru is really starting to come into his own. The whole "hugging" thing is kind of weird though.
I think I'm going to like Spectre. That music that played when he showed up was killer. Seriously the OST this season has been damn good.

I did see the comparison shots between the city rising scene here and in the OOO Summer Movie. Yeah that was weak to reuse that. I get the feeling that this is a budget season as 2016's Rider is going to be massive, just like how Goseiger was a budget season because Gokaiger was massive. Both Goseiger and Ghost have an insane number of collectables (15+ forms for Ghost, all the cards and Headders for Goseiger) so it kind of feels that way.

Also, props to OT for not calling it the "Warring Corporation".

The rough timeline is:

1. Garo (Series)
3. Red Requiem (Movie)
4. Kiba Gaiden (Special)
5. Makai Senki (Series)

This is a great list.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah, I thought Ghost 4 was the best episode so far---especially like how Ghost really came into his own with his powers, and so far I'm liking how they're balancing out each of the forms instead of just focusing on Musashi which I thought they were gonna do since the sword form is so easy to spam.

Slayven

The rough timeline is:

1. Garo (Series)
3. Red Requiem (Movie)
4. Kiba Gaiden (Special)
5. Makai Senki (Series)

Good lord I didn't realize how much there

shaowebb

The rough timeline is:

1. Garo (Series)
3. Red Requiem (Movie)
4. Kiba Gaiden (Special)
5. Makai Senki (Series)

SAVED

This is something I've needed for a LONG time.

WarRock

Ghost 4
We got PSO Double Sabers? PogChamp

Akari and the head monk's interactions were alright, Spectre is sexy as hell, Sage keeps being amazing and we got a nice enough twist in the MotW formula. Not to say Takeru understanding his powers (and Sage) better and a sorta confirmation of Drive-Ghost being canon.

What people didn't like about this again?

Pluto

The rough timeline is:

1. Garo (Series)
3. Red Requiem (Movie)
4. Kiba Gaiden (Special)
5. Makai Senki (Series)

Thanks! That's really helpful, I wanted to get into Garo for some time but I had no idea what to watch after the original series.

Tiu Neo

Ninninger 35

Badass Nagi is best Nagi. Thanks god they dropped that everything-is-Takaharu from the earlier episodes.

The new robot is cool, but I miss Shinobimaru.

Next episode should be interesting.
Human Izayoi? Another confrontation with Gramps? new Kinji Super Shinny Form?

Ghost 04

I thought the exorcism hug would be an one time only thing, but it looks like it's here to stay, huh.

And Drive and Ghost being on the same universe really is a thing, eh? Kinda weird, but nice.

Ok episode overall, reminds me a bit of the best episodes from Drive pre-30s.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ninninger 35

I really enjoyed this episode and I really liked the bug yokai design.

Nagi has also grown stronger.

Ghost 4.

I am starting to warm up to Ghost and I laughed at Takeru forgetting that he's a ghost so he can phase through solid object.

Yeah, I thought Ghost 4 was the best episode so far---especially like how Ghost really came into his own with his powers, and so far I'm liking how they're balancing out each of the forms instead of just focusing on Musashi which I thought they were gonna do since the sword form is so easy to spam.

While I like Musashi form I don't get what makes it so special from his default form since he can clearly summon a sword out and is capable of taking it apart.

And Drive and Ghost being on the same universe really is a thing, eh? Kinda weird, but nice.

That's always been the case since Decade, since he merged all Riders into one universe.

BTA

How did I never realize this thread existed?

I'm enjoying Ghost a lot so far, though I'm wondering how quickly it'll be paced a few episodes from now. They've basically been doing the usual two part plot in a single episode and I'm not sure how well that'll hold up without new forms to justify it.

Also, man, Garo-wise I gotta watch Flute and most of Goldstorm, though I guess I should watch the movie first now. I never watched the back half of the first anime either so I should probably get to that before starting the current one. Good to see that OT's getting the original series retranslated finally, though.

EDIT:
I think I have Kiba Gaiden and Zero: Black Blood backwards, but whatever.

In other Garo news... Over-time has released Garo 1 and 2 today. I didn't even know it was something they were doing.

Unless you edited it, Kiba and Black Blood seem to be correct? Black Blood's place in the timeline isn't explicitly stated, but makes sense to be where it is, and Kiba explains stuff from the first season while setting up some of Makai Senki.

ReiGun

Kinji's new form in the previews has me dying. That said, they had better play "StarNinger Party Night!" when he gets it.

Watch Da Birdie

Gotta wonder where Surprise Future fits in since Ghost appeared in that with Newton, but that takes place before the finale of Drive where he gets Newton for the first time...

NeonZ

Spoiler for future Ninninger episodes,
it turns out that Yakumo's magic teacher was MagiYellow.
I wonder if this means that Ninninger is the anniversary season and next year will be just a normal series, or maybe these cameos will just become a standard thing for Sentai...

Gotta wonder where Surprise Future fits in since Ghost appeared in that with Newton, but that takes place before the finale of Drive where he gets Newton for the first time...

The only way that cameo fits at this point is assuming that it was actually future Ghost.

Slayven

Kinji's new form in the previews has me dying. That said, they had better play "StarNinger Party Night!" when he gets it.

It is a really good homage to one of the great westerners

51F9aup6nNL.jpg

THis is why I love Toku, they get the little things. I never thought about the ghost not being compatible with the rider.

Tiu Neo

I wonder if this means that Ninninger is the anniversary season and next year will be just a normal series, or maybe these cameos will just become a standard thing for Sentai...

Maybe both will be anniversary seasons. Not at the scale of Gokaiger, but with little cameos and nods here and there.

I think it's nice that way, at least up to now the cameos fit with the in-series universe well.

First cameo from a series I never watched. Maybe I'll do it after I finish Gaoranger and Kamen Rider Black.

EDIT: Wait,
Nagi will become even more badass? Or at least try to use the hyper powers too? If it's not a red herring... It would not surprise me if he really became the Last Ninja, instead of Takaharu. Nagi as the secret main character, heh, now that would be a twist.

That is really cool.

Makes sense to me *shrugs* He's been around lately, and ties in nicely. I like that.

Watch Da Birdie

The juicy kid's apparently gonna be in the next episode of Ghost. :0

And it seems the Ghost Riders will be fighting over and switching around each other's Eyecons---Spectre will be using Edison.

And Kamen Rider Jun is back in Movie Wars

Watch Da Birdie

Also a ton of new forms shown in TV-Kun---Billy the Kid looks pretty slick, Beethoven looks like it'll be the silly yet lethal character...Ikkyu is a Ghost form that's exclusive to a TV-Kun special DVD though, and Special Ore (an all orange Ghost for Halloween) and Kamehameha are Ganbarizing Exclusives.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Battride War Genesis is coming out Feb. 25th, 2016. Bit later than I'd have liked, but I'll take it. Also, Hiroshi Fujioka will be voicing Rider #1, and there will be a stage for each Rider that recreates the first episode of their series.

The juicy kid's apparently gonna be in the next episode of Ghost. :0

And it seems the Ghost Riders will be fighting over and switching around each other's Eyecons---Spectre will be using Edison.

And Kamen Rider Jun is back in Movie Wars

That was expected, looking at the general designs of Ghost and Spectre. All the hoodies are fabric, the undersuits don't change, and the weapons are completely interchangeable. It's really easy for them to switch up souls.
The third rider uses a different system though.
Fingers crossed for a female Rider this year.

Sandfox

That was expected, looking at the general designs of Ghost and Spectre. All the hoodies are fabric, the undersuits don't change, and the weapons are completely interchangeable. It's really easy for them to switch up souls.
The third rider uses a different system though.
Fingers crossed for a female Rider this year.
Don't get your hopes up.

WarRock

So, last Ninnin. Not a fan. Thought the whole episode was going to be about Kinji and the yokai, but instead I got a tacked on Nagi "development".

Since when he is the Ninningers person person? Taka and Kasumi both deal with people nicely enough in previous episodes, but I don't remember Nagi doing a thing.

And all he needed to complete his KoF Andy attack rip off was equip the Bracer? Meh.

Want to, but didn't watch the first season. Downloading anyway, someday I'll watch both.

Loved the first season, the second season is starting off good as well, though I haven't gotten around to watching this week's episode yet.
Yeah, I'm interested but can't be bothered to binge watch the first season right now =/

AGITΩ

So I finally watched the 3 Part Yongo Special...was waiting for Someone not TV-N to sub...but one of my friends said I needed to watch it., didn't watch GP because it didn't catch my attention, might watch at some point...
Man, that left be with all kinds of feels. Faiz was my first Kamen Rider that I watched and one of my personal favorites, the fact that they gave it an ending of sorts makes me feel all weird. It's closure but now leaves me with so many questions. Spoiler tagging the rest for those of you who haven't watched Faiz or the movie.
So we finally get clarification that Takumi does die after the credits of the series, which has always been one of those left to fan speculation. Though with the recent crossovers since Decade, that was a bit scrapped. In the special he mentions that he was resurrected, but that leaves me confused, who or what brought him back?
We see that the Great Leader of Shocker this time is Takumi, but Takumi is also Takumi...but...what the what?
The Orphenoch King is the only one who has the capabilities to make Orphenochs complete and not spontaneously combust because of their failed evolution. Though he was nullified at the end of 555 but seen multiple times afterwards in various Shocker groups, his lack in the special also raises questions.
Though it saddened me that Takumi faded from everyone's memories except Kaido, so future crossovers will be awkward.
I will never get full closure on 555....oh well, let's see if they try doing something similar with Blade's post ending storyline as well.

I only have the first Game, but it left much to be desired. The Maps were small and few in number, no bashing into grunts with your bikes, controls being a bit clunky, and their Debut Promo shots were what they used for them as they talked just felt awkward...have the games gotten better? Or is it more or less the same?

NeonZ

AGITΩ;183442835 said:
So we finally get clarification that Takumi does die after the credits of the series, which has always been one of those left to fan speculation. Though with the recent crossovers since Decade, that was a bit scrapped. In the special he mentions that he was resurrected, but that leaves me confused, who or what brought him back?

It's the same machine that was reseting time in the Rider 4 mini-series. That's why he disappears when the machine is destroyed. Previously (in Drive vs Ninninger, which is the beginning of this story, followed by the SHTGP movie itself) it had been shown that it can change reality itself.

We see that the Great Leader of Shocker this time is Takumi, but Takumi is also Takumi...but...what the what?

The Great Leader always had some creepy appearance scenes. It's not explained, but I guess it's just tied to how Takumi was the anchor to the machine.

The Orphenoch King is the only one who has the capabilities to make Orphenochs complete and not spontaneously combust because of their failed evolution. Though he was nullified at the end of 555 but seen multiple times afterwards in various Shocker groups, his lack in the special also raises questions.

There's some dialogue in the special that vaguely suggests that his enemies were dead by then, nothing specific though.

If you count his other crossover appearances though, the Orphenoch King is killed in All Riders vs Dai-Shocker when Decade and Diend use a bunch of Final formrides at once to beat Ikadevil. He reappears as a explicitly revived monster in SHT (and once again in SHTZ), and in Wizard's finale he's one of the monsters in the magical stone that absorbs the soul of monsters killed on Earth, which is another confirmation that he was dead.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
AGITΩ;183442835 said:
\I only have the first Game, but it left much to be desired. The Maps were small and few in number, no bashing into grunts with your bikes, controls being a bit clunky, and their Debut Promo shots were what they used for them as they talked just felt awkward...have the games gotten better? Or is it more or less the same?

2 was better, but really just felt like the game the first one should have been. Definitely much more enjoyable, though. 3/Genesis looks to be the first real improvement the series has made, though. 2 was essentially an expansion pack, whereas Genesis looks to be scrapping most, if not all, of the old stages and more than doubling the playable characters. Seems like skipping a year did the dev team a lot of good.

Top Bottom