• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Running into a better video medium!

I wondered how OT would balance three shows, but they say Amazons is light on dialogue so not as much work.

Zyuohger 8

Leo is a total bro. Cool that they weaponized his loud voice, really shows how animalistic the zyumans are.
First Megazord tag team. Those are always awesome.

Next week:
Is that Mole Cube I spot?

It is, we see a drill.

Kaizer

Banned
Hey TokuGAF, I had a few questions about Garo if you don't mind me asking.

So I recently started watching Garo: Yami o Terasu Mono out of mild interest & have quickly come to love the show. Episode 9's fight was the best yet with all three heroes getting their asses handed to them by the main baddie. After I finish watching this series, I plan to check out Gold Storm Sho & Makai no Hana, my question is about the movies & spinoffs like Zero: Black Blood.

Are they worth checking out or required viewing at all? I'm still a little confused about it.

WarRock

Kaizer, check this.

Edit-
Holy shit, Slayven is a prophet:
A chimera ranger?

1978c4fd08a159619f7005091d6c3a8f.jpg

vareon

So I recently started watching Garo: Yami o Terasu Mono out of mild interest & have quickly come to love the show. Episode 9's fight was the best yet with all three heroes getting their asses handed to them by the main baddie. After I finish watching this series, I plan to check out Gold Storm Sho & Makai no Hana, my question is about the movies & spinoffs like Zero: Black Blood.

Are they worth checking out or required viewing at all? I'm still a little confused about it.

I don't recommend Makai no Hana and suggest the first season instead. But YamiTera was an entirely different beast and nothing else is quite like it.

You can skip Makai no Hana. It was okay, but not the best. I do recommend checking out Black Blood.

Tiu Neo

Zyuohger 08

Leo and Sela the best as always. I also like how... not-Red focused this series is right now. I mean, I like Yamato, but it's refreshing how many episodes are focusing on other characters.

vareon

Kamen Rider Amazons 01

This feels like an early Heisei series (think Agito) as opposed to something like Garo. It's not dark for the sake of being dark, and the story itself is fairly standard so far. But it's certainly not a show you found on Sunday morning and I'm really happy at somebody trying at a Tokusatsu show that doesn't have the burden of carrying a gazillion of toys to kids.

There's not much to comment on the story for this episode, though. For a 46 minute show it was very slow.

Tiu Neo

Nah. It's just design and style references, the actual story is unrelated.

Thanks!

Kamen Rider Amazons 01

The original mole was... different. Still kinda a cool guy. I like how they reimagined old monsters, most of the costumes are good, but still recognizable.

First episode was a bit slow, but the setting is interesting. Reminds me of Kabuto, a bit. Let's see where this goes. I hope it succeeds and we can get more series like this, if anything because it's one way of Toei doing a toku without focusing on toy sales.

Kamen Rider Amazons 01
This episode was a good intro to this series. It's a bit slowly but has an early Heisei feel to it. It reminds me of a few shows from that era as well. Even with a slow start the characters seem interesting enough for me.
The suits were great and the monster redesign from the old show was pretty impressive to see.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Kamen Rider Amazons 1

Surprisingly not as dark as I thought it would be. Though there's still time for that to happen.
Slow start, but intriguing enough. Hopefully it doesn't suffer from "We could cut this down" syndrome.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Not sure what to make of Kamen Rider Amazons, as the first episode was slowly paced but I will stick around as the pacing will pick up once the show has gotten over introducing the characters and establishing the universe.

WarRock

Amazonz!
Intriguing.
Spiderman followed by Batman as first monsters, nice. I enjoyed how much they had to fight to kill a single (an supposedly weak) monster. Editing could be better at some points but ok, even though that transition between classical to electronic (?) music during the fight was kinda weird.

The extermination team (and their cave) felt great, general mood and directing felt like something a lot of us have been asking for some time, and seems like they are going a little bit more in the body horror direction since there's no worries about selling toys.

That aside, Fuku sniping while driving was :wow: and it's good to see toku action more raw and with less CG abuse. Monster costumes are ace and Amazon Alpha looks REALLY good.

Certainly something worthy of your time if you're curious.

Oh, and yeah, I'm recognizing a lot of faces even though my memory is awful for this. Is there a cast list somewhere? And is Mamoru supposed to be a mole?

Tiu Neo

Oh, and yeah, I'm recognizing a lot of faces even though my memory is awful for this. Is there a cast list somewhere? And is Mamoru supposed to be a mole?

Yeah, me too.

And yes, every monster is based on an monster from the original series.

(Original series spoilers)
Mole defected the enemy forces and became Amazon's ally. So it makes sense he's allied with humans on this.

Amazons 01: Amazonz
Oh, this is right up my alley. Pacing was kinda slow and there were some awkward shots, but it did a good job of establishing the tone. Knife Girl's fighting style is fun to watch.

Oh, and good to see you again, Blue Buster!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ghost 25

So Igor is converting Earth's atmosphere into the one from the Ganma World. Using that white guy and his company. It's making people sick.
Though their attempt at using the Eyecons to make wishes failed, and it seems connected to the Prayer Room.
Did I get all that?
Grateful Mode's summoning power is too fucking OP. How is the final form going to top that?

I loved that opening bit going through the history of Kamen Rider.

Tiu Neo

Ghost 25

Whoa, things are getting serious.

That final attack was cool. Grateful is OP,but that's not a bad thing, as long as the battles continue to be fun. And some super powerful enemy is probably coming soon, too, so...

Next few episodes will be interesting.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Really thought this episode of Ghost was rather nice, good pacing and didn't seem as shoddy as some of the recent episodes...

Didn't expect that voice from Tut (we never heard him talk before, did we?) though I guess it makes sense since he died so young.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Zyuohger 8

I still think Leo is the best character in the series. I know people hate him, but his body language really differentiates him from the others, and he has a very simple/happy way of looking at things (they all do, since they're not humans, but he's somehow more worry-free than the others).... One could say.... he follows a.... problem-free philosophy.....

Amu is the "dumb", "doesn't care about anything" personality. Sera is the angry one and Tusk is the methodical one. I guess I just like Leo more. Even with his terrible wardrobe/characterization.

I can't get over Gorilla mode. Larri was very good as a character and I wish to see more of him, but I don't like gorilla form at all. And I like eagle form a lot (I was glad the Zyuoh King was brought back on this episode). Nice human interaction too - I just find it a little weird that Daisuke didn't really care that the dude was a "Lion".

The best Sentai since Kyoryuger, but.... that's not hard to achieve.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Leo and "hate" are like two polar opposites. I've yet to see people hate on him. If anything it's Tusk who's being seen hated.

delSai

Ghost 25

Damn, this history lesson intro was great. Got me really hyped for all the stuff i haven't watched yet.
The episode itself was good, Airplane Ganma looked pretty dumb but he had the Stroheim VA so thats pretty cool. Using the Heroes as assists was also cool. I wish that we could've seen more of the Alain fight tho.
I'm excited for the next Episode, this one and the one before were both fun to watch.

Watch Da Birdie

Wait a second...doesn't Takeru totally have a hero who, y'know, controls gravity? That would've been my first pic here against the Airplane Ganma.

Watch Da Birdie

Seems the rest of Amazons will be closer to 30 minutes...

I enjoyed the first episode though, but damn I'll admit the ending dragged on as I was waiting to see Amazon. The stars of the show right now, imo, are the humans and I wonder if they'll stay that way with the Amazons being more ancillary characters as opposed to the main driving force of the show like the Riders tend to be in the main series.

Suits are pretty neat, especially liked that "good" monster who looks kind of like Kamen Rider Drake. Coolest bat kaijin I've seen probably too.

Tiu Neo

Finished Kamen Rider Amazon

It's... ok. It's not bad, it has a lot of cool things, the fights are ok, and the violence is kinda funny, actually. It's a short series, and there is enough variety for it to not get old. Even with the retooling at episodes 12~14, the series kept a some of the things that what made it unique, just without some of the exaggerations from the first episodes (that were awesome, but not that essential).

Now... back to sentai. Maybe I'll watch something old, too.

WarRock

Gravity powers always suck in those shows. Friendly remember that Eiji had gravity manipulation with the SaGoZo medals.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Zyuohger 8

I still think Leo is the best character in the series. I know people hate him, but his body language really differentiates him from the others, and he has a very simple/happy way of looking at things (they all do, since they're not humans, but he's somehow more worry-free than the others).... One could say.... he follows a.... problem-free philosophy.....

Amu is the "dumb", "doesn't care about anything" personality. Sera is the angry one and Tusk is the methodical one. I guess I just like Leo more. Even with his terrible wardrobe/characterization.

I can't get over Gorilla mode. Larri was very good as a character and I wish to see more of him, but I don't like gorilla form at all. And I like eagle form a lot (I was glad the Zyuoh King was brought back on this episode). Nice human interaction too - I just find it a little weird that Daisuke didn't really care that the dude was a "Lion".

The best Sentai since Kyoryuger, but.... that's not hard to achieve.

I wouldn't say that Amu is dumb, she clearly knows how to get other people to do thing for her.

I would say that Amu is easy going and just flows with the moment rather than wasting time stressing about nothing like how Tusk and Sela does.

Top Bottom