• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

WarRock

You know, I don't think anyone is betting on the PR movie to be the new Transformers or Avengers, but it's crazy how hyped I saw a lot of people getting after they released that group shot last month.

I was very negative about the movie until then. Now I hope that it may at least be Real Steel tier and that would be enough.

WarRock

You see, most of those people I saw reacting positively didn't even know that the movie was a thing. They had zero expectations yet loved the idea thanks to that single picture with the actors that shows nothing about the movie.

It's crazy.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm just glad the movie has a decent budget ($120 million). The first movie only had $15 million so I can't imagine we'll get a repeat of the CGI Kakure Daishogun.

Don't really remember everything about Spielban (I was, like, 6 when it aired here), but doesn't it involve
everything being reset?
Those kind of endings are always kinda messy.

Or maybe I'm confused and that's Juspion. Both kinda merge on my memories sometimes.

No you are right. It was basically a reset.

After Pandora is defeated, a hyperslip occurs and they are taken to Clin where they meet their parents again, except they are still grown. Turns out Clin was Earth in the future. So that scene in the beginning was actually time travel, yet they still grew up during that time....
It makes my head hurt to this day.

Tiu Neo

No you are right. It was basically a reset.

After Pandora is defeated, a hyperslip occurs and they are taken to Clin where they meet their parents again, except they are still grown. Turns out Clin was Earth in the future. So that scene in the beginning was actually time travel, yet they still grew up during that time....
It makes my head hurt to this day.

Oh, yeah, I kinda remember why I was confused. I think the final episode never aired here, and I read about it on one of the thousands of hero magazines we had back then. That was kinda common here, unfortunately.

Tiu Neo

Finished Megaranger.

It was a good series. A lot good moments, and no bad moments. Not many twists or awesome moments, but it was pretty good and consistent at being good. The characters are really likeable, the villains were kinda oldschool - Hineler reminded me of both Kepflen and Professor Bias. Hayakawa was a good character, and stole the scene every time he showed up, but he didn't show up too much.

Proto-Fourze a good description for it, actually. Fourze did many of the same things this did, but better, and had some awesome moments.

Finally caught up with Ghost. Why is Specter always getting his ass whooped? Every episode after he joined ends up with him scrapped up in some form.

ReiGun

Read the first issues of the Power Rangers comic.

Yup. It's a Green Ranger story. Almost too much so. It was a good choice to pick up right after Tommy joins, and I do appreciate the
whole seeing visions of Rita thing
. I just hope future issues expand on the other characters beyond "What do you think of the Green Ranger???"

Also
LOL at Scorpina just showing up in Tommy's bedroom. They better have a damn good reason for why the villains don't do that all the time.

Finally caught up with Ghost. Why is Specter always getting his ass whooped? Every episode after he joined ends up with him scrapped up in some form.
He's a secondary Rider. Worst yet, he's a secondary Rider who did a heel > face turn. He had his moment in the sun, and now he's destined to job.

Same thing gonna happen to Necrom.

vareon

Read the first issues of the Power Rangers comic.

Yup. It's a Green Ranger story. Almost too much so. It was a good choice to pick up right after Tommy joins, and I do appreciate the
whole seeing visions of Rita thing
. I just hope future issues expand on the other characters beyond "What do you think of the Green Ranger???"

Also
LOL at Scorpina just showing up in Tommy's bedroom. They better have a damn good reason for why the villains don't do that all the time.

He's a secondary Rider. Worst yet, he's a secondary Rider who did a heel > face turn. He had his moment in the sun, and now he's destined to job.

Same thing gonna happen to Necrom.

Deep Spectre will come and Makoto will have his moment again
for two episodes max

As the others have said, the secondary Rider is always about the jobbing.

Basically, a Rider only gets props if they're the main character, or if they're showing a new form.

Spectre got his shine when he debuted, but dropped behind to focus on Boost/Necrom/Grateful. Necrom will see the same drop off as we rush towards Mugen and Deep Specter.

The toys are the focus of the show. Some writers are really good and can successfully hide that focus in the narrative (see Gaim), but most don't.

ReiGun

Only secondary Rider I can't remember jobbing too much is Birth. Maybe Ixa, but it's been forever since I watched Kiva.

Only secondary Rider I can't remember jobbing too much is Birth. Maybe Ixa, but it's been forever since I watched Kiva.

In both cases, the Riders are protected from the the full job effect by being passed onto new users. Date was a soft jobber and sort of spoiler, never really getting some great lead shot after his debut, but helping OOO to move forward. Ixa completely jumped for person to person.

vareon

Ghost is picking up the slack (things are actually happening now) but remember we have a new Kamen Rider next week. Can't wait for Amazons
to be only subbed by TV-Nihon.

ReiGun

Accel also shined a lot but towards the finale he was getting hospitalized a lot.

Accel took some beatings, but they also let him be the one to defeat Weather, and he did it pretty late in the game too.

Diend got off pretty easy too, but that was mainly due to Decade being a mess and his role on the show mostly being "show up, troll Tsukasa and co, leave." Though, one could consider Kuuga the secondary Rider on Decade and...heheheheheheHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
lmao Deep Specter

2purple4me

though I dig that kabuto beetle horn

also eagle zyuman human form... it really is Kusaka!

As the others have said, the secondary Rider is always about the jobbing.

I don't remember Seconds from other series jobbing out this hard though. Then again, I haven't seen most of the other series. The only secondary riders I've seen have been Zeronos, Birth, Accel, the Gaim Clan, Mach, and Chaser. I don't think they got it as bad as Specter.

WillyFive

You know, I don't think anyone is betting on the PR movie to be the new Transformers or Avengers, but it's crazy how hyped I saw a lot of people getting after they released that group shot last month.

I was very negative about the movie until then. Now I hope that it may at least be Real Steel tier and that would be enough.

Real Steel was a billion times better than any Transformers.

vareon

Real Steel was a billion times better than any Transformers.
Real Steel modest, not too ambitious, fun to watch, kind of average but basically inoffensive. It also didn't get much attention than Transformers. I'd rather have Power Rangers do that than trying to be transformers and completely failed.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well, that was a load of nothing.

Although more Amu being Amu

Tjmg6Bj.jpg

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Zyuohger 7

Sooo how little do the Zyuohgers show up in the KR1 movie? I read a summary on /m/ and it didn't bother mentioning them so they might not even be in it.
Takeru was a bit too enthusiastic, maybe he stopped being a sadsack after going Grateful mode? Also, how can the Zyuohgers see- oh right, show rules don't apply in crossovers. Speaking of, why does Takeru only do his spooky floating bit in crossovers?

At least we got more of Amu being adorable.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yurusen doing the Tarzan yell at the end was cute as hell though.

Interesting way they did the crossover this year, it was basically a full episode of Zyuoh with some decent plot movement and I guess the Ghost episode is the same way, the stuff with Onari getting taken over by Goemon being the main focus with the Zyuoh team thrown in.

Really hope they did the "no one can see the giant robot" gag again, I've avoided spoilers for that episode just for that.

Tiu Neo

Zyuohger 07

That was... weaker than Drive x Ninjas, which was already weaker than Gaim x ToQ. It was more of a special guest than a crossover, to tell the truth. Eh, nothing wrong with it, the episode at least wasn't bad. Does it "continue" on this week's Ghost?

Anyway, Takeru is cooler on crossovers. Good to see the Grateful transformation is a lot faster now, too. And Yurusen doing that Zyuohger scream, haha.

Tusk and Amu still are my least favorite characters, but they were pretty good, this episode. That ending.

NeonZ

Zyuohger 7

Sooo how little do the Zyuohgers show up in the KR1 movie? I read a summary on /m/ and it didn't bother mentioning them so they might not even be in it.

They aren't in the movie at all.

It's not really surprising though - in SHTGP, they ended up advertising a toy that wasn't released in the end, so the Ninninger's appearance there was just a waste of time for everyone.

The crossover appearance just felt like merchandising reinforcement. I know Rider and Sentai are effectively just toy adverts, but still. A wasted opportunity.

WarRock

Zyuohger 07

That was... weaker than Drive x Ninjas, which was already weaker than Gaim x ToQ. It was more of a special guest than a crossover, to tell the truth. Eh, nothing wrong with it, the episode at least wasn't bad. Does it "continue" on this week's Ghost?

Anyway, Takeru is cooler on crossovers. Good to see the Grateful transformation is a lot faster now, too. And Yurusen doing that Zyuohger scream, haha.

Tusk and Amu still are my least favorite characters, but they were pretty good, this episode. That ending.

......wait. We had a Drive x Ninnin crossover episode?

Tiu Neo

......wait. We had a Drive x Ninnin crossover episode?

Yes. It was kinda weak, but the oldschool monsters on that were pretty cool. And it took the two episodes for that week.

Well, maybe this year's way is better, since it didn't waste two episodes, only part of one. ToQ x Gaim was cool, tho.

Maybe they can do something like that again, if one day we get another SHT with both Sentai and KR.

Top Bottom