• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

WarRock

Ghost 24
zzz

Zyuuoger 7
Yurusen singing the "aaaaaa" was a nice touch. What song was playing during the mech fight?

Why didn't Tusk called them instead of waiting and complaining? Oh well, crossover episode, not going to think too hard.

Kamen Rider Aqua & Headphone Sentai 8
...was that chroma key right at the start, when Leo picks up the headphones? wut
And the MotW turns everybody into aggressive goths? double wut
Leo for best coach.

This episode also exemplifies how good Zyuohger has been so far. Plot is not that interesting neither the villain, yet it takes time to show us something from both viewpoints, the stunt actors went crazy and nobody felt overshadowed by the character focus. Sela hijinks were funny too.
I wouldn't say that Amu is dumb, she clearly knows how to get other people to do thing for her.

I would say that Amu is easy going and just flows with the moment rather than wasting time stressing about nothing like how Tusk and Sela does.
You just described a cat, which is good for obvious reasons =P

ReiGun

CfdjT5vXEAAihoH.jpg

CfdkXmUWAAIKSfc.jpg

Stop this motorcycle-shaming, Toei.

If they were being honest, they would have said "Nowadays, most Kamen Riders actually just run places. Because bike footage is hard."

ReiGun

i think being vehicle based, chase and mach kinda have to. ghost on the other hand? i rarely see him bust out the bike

He only uses it if he's using Captain Ghost. Specter uses his bike more, especially now that he needs it for Houdini. Necrom doesn't even have one.

vareon

...Well, #1 is bike based too (required it to transform, initially), so I don't see the problem.

We're talking about bikes being used sparingly because of production hurdles, whereas Drive is a special case because the series is based on vehicles so of course bikes (and cars!) show up more.

I like Ghostriker, though. I like it when bikes transform with their rider instead of being one really conspicuous bike used by normal people. I mean Hidari Shotaro's supposed to hide his identity as W but he just parked his Hardboilder there out in the open.

WarRock

Anyway, the point is that Takeru rides his bike every now and then, less than Mach, sure, but more than most since W. He didn't in the last... 4, 5 episodes or something, but that's all.

It probably feels like he doesn't because the bike could basically not be there, since he just appears riding it while going to different place out of nowhere. And I think we never see him arriving the scene, putting down the helmet and all that jazz. (Which we did see with Drive all the time, heh.)

Ghost 25
Fights were way too short, but this episode certainly made up for the previous one. Lots of stuff happening, and I had forgot about the Igor plot. A shame they didn't hire a decent graphic designer for that OS logo, damn.

Cubi still alive and not being a Shunpei or a Koyomi still surprises me.

javadoze

Zyuohger 8

Though it seems Leo just got a focus episode alongside Sera, I don't mind, he's a super likable character and seeing him help out the guitarist guy this episode further solidifies my opinion of him. Aside from that, the villain plot this week was also good. It's been said before, but the Deathgalian plans of "wreck shit up and cause as much bloodshed and chaos as possible" are miles more interesting than the collection plots of prior years.

Ghost 25

Lately, Ghost has been kinda... whatever? I enjoy the characters decently enough (barring Kanon), but the story is sure taking its sweet time to actually get moving with the plot. At this point, if I'm just waiting for the show to be interesting instead of it actually being interesting to watch, then I'm probably dropping Ghost in the meantime and catching up in a few months.

Tiu Neo

Started Sun Vulcan.

I thought most Sentai parodies were a bit over the top. They're nothing near Sun Vulcan. Promising start. Führer Hell Saturn is probably the best villain name ever.

Machiko Soga was in a lot of tokusatsu back then, eh?

WillyFive

Started Sun Vulcan.

I thought most Sentai parodies were a bit over the top. They're nothing near Sun Vulcan. Promising start. Führer Hell Saturn is probably the best villain name ever.

Machiko Soga was in a lot of tokusatsu back then, eh?

Sun Vulcan is no parody.

It's a purebreed.

WillyFive

Amazons 1

Eh, it was ok.

I always wanted to see what a Rider show would be like if it had no commercials or had to be a commercial, or had to fit itself within the confines of what TV Asahi feels is appropriate for a children's show. People like to say this is like old Heisei Rider, and I see one way that it is: Amazons still has the same problems that early Heisei shows had where despite all the "mature" parts of the story, the characters still act in weird nonsensical ways in order to create more unnecessary drama. The episode also had way too many characters and despite being an hour long it gave no time to get to know most of them. They even wrote a 'twist' for one, but since we knew nothing about that guy, it wasn't really much of a twist, rather than just another thing that happened in the script.

Hopefully the show has a whole gets better with the rest of the episodes.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Amazons 1

Eh, it was ok.

I always wanted to see what a Rider show would be like if it had no commercials or had to be a commercial, or had to fit itself within the confines of what TV Asahi feels is appropriate for a children's show. People like to say this is like old Heisei Rider, and I see one way that it is: Amazons still has the same problems that early Heisei shows had where despite all the "mature" parts of the story, the characters still act in weird nonsensical ways in order to create more unnecessary drama. The episode also had way too many characters and despite being an hour long it gave no time to get to know most of them. They even wrote a 'twist' for one, but since we knew nothing about that guy, it wasn't really much of a twist, rather than just another thing that happened in the script.

Hopefully the show has a whole gets better with the rest of the episodes.
Well, early Heisei was pretty much j-drama so it has that problem of unnecessary drama.

delSai

I forgot to add my thoughts on Amazons 1, it's not much that i have to say. I enjoyed it. I liked the darker atmosphere and more "grown up" feel and look it has. Gotta watch more of it to have a real opinion on it of course, 1 episode is just not enough. But it left a good first impression.

I'm betting it's based on Frozen.

They'll steal my idea and make it Sports based. The Main Rider swings a baseball bat and shoots curveballs.

Was hibiki even "hardworking"

I thought some of the descriptions were tongue-in-cheek

I've only watched 3 episodes of Hibiki so far but i feel like it should've said something like "An Oni who's well trained", that's what they use in the sub at least.

Tiu Neo

I've only watched 3 episodes of Hibiki so far but i feel like it should've said something like "An Oni who's well trained", that's what they use in the sub at least.

Yeah, I'm almost finishing it, but he still uses that sometimes. Maybe it's just a translation difference.

NeonZ

What's popular on Jump nowadays, besides One Piece and Boku no Hero? That sumo manga?

Black Clover. Basically, Naruto with magic fighters, rather than magical ninja. Considering how the last magic based season didn't turn out well at all for Rider, I doubt Toei will take any inspiration from it.

WarRock

Magic and food. Kabuto and Wizard? Maybe we are going to get the most stylish Rider ever, and with the most nonsense ending ever!

Tiu Neo

Kamen Rider Ninja.

Not because it's popular right now, but gotta recycle those Ninninger props while they're still fresh.

Slayven

Kamen Rider Ninja.

Not because it's popular right now, but gotta recycle those Ninninger props while they're still fresh.
I been saying that for years

Secondary rider would be a samurai

third rider a shinto priest.

First powerup will be called Kage Mode

javadoze

What's popular on Jump nowadays, besides One Piece and Boku no Hero? That sumo manga?

Kamen Rider SuperHero

... I actually want to see that.
More Riders than Ryuki & Gaim combined.

Being a Rider is like being a Harry Potter Wizard, or an X-Men Mutant.

If we're going off recent trends, then I'd probably guess a (western?) Superhero-themed Rider. It's not a bad idea: make it a multiple riders show and have it be an extension of the Beat Riders saga of Gaim (except the riders would be facing off against some sort of villain force instead of each other... in the beginning, anyways).

vareon

If we're predicting next KR theme for shits and giggles, I want to predict it's Splatoon. Next Kamen Rider will be based on Splatoon.

Someone should tally this for fun.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Zyuohger 09

I really don't have anything to say about this episode, it was overall ok. I have nothing bad to say about it, but nothing good either - There's a new Zyu...Animal? What do we call them? He just woke up and showed up by itself. Other than that, it was just a Sera episode with Sera doing Sera things, mostly being her grumpy self - which I'm ok with. The deathgalian was boring too.

Zyuohger 10 preview

Man, did Genis really had to de-rez that cat or whatever the fuck it did to it? that was mean.

WarRock

I should be sleeping but instead I'm looking for our posts about Ghost before its debut!
At first, we got a rumor about a fashion based Rider, and then...

If we do get the Fashion Rider, I wonder if that will continue the idea that cool motif = bad show, weird motif = good show...

Although I'd argue Drive goes for a pretty "cool" and relatively normal motif and ended up doing pretty well.
Apparently we got a trademark!

"Kamen Rider Ghost".

Interesting, as that doesn't immediately bring to mind "Fashion Rider" by the name alone...once again though, the Kamen Rider Break rumors end up being bizarrely prophetic since we got dancing, car gimmicks, and now possibly ghost M.C. from it.
There was a new post (before this Ghost trademark popped up) apparently saying that although the Rider's design resembles clothing, the actual theme isn't fashion.
Everything was youkai.

Ghost doesn't exactly scream fashion or egypt, but I guess we'll see.
-The overall atmosphere feels quite similar to Wizard.
-However, the henshin sound is a little more restrained.
-There will be multiple forms right from the beginning.

http://kamenriderghost.tumblr.com/post/119999540595/zqacw-7nsedj-has-posted-a-little-more-about
I think I read the "atmosphere" wasn't talking about the show itself, but referencing Ghost himself---I guess that means his suit will have a more "serious" look like Wizard's as opposed to Gaim and Drive's which are more gimmicky and cartoony.

I don't mind this, because Wizard's suits were the least of its problems...
Maybe he's not a literal ghost. Maybe the costume is like wearing a blanket for Halloween, and that is the whole cloth thing that people thought meant a fashion motif.
That'd be cool, rather than the usual mask, it's like some sort of "ghost hood" over his face with the eyes showing through.

And then keeping the cool ghost theme, like his Rider Kick summons a flaming cross and he kicks the enemy into it. That sounds pretty badass, right?
Ghost is a good chance to pull another Den-O. HE can make contracts with different ghosts for forms.
So, Ghost is going to come back to life to get hist ultimate form?
So the belt is a face you put contact lenses on (maybe slide in OOOs style)? eyeコン being some sort of contact lens makes sense from a linguistic standpoint at any rate.
Then we got a tease, a Meteor photoshop being a Ghost "leak", and when we finally saw the costume, Panda expressed an horrible opinion about Spiderman costumes and we got a synopsis.

Looks like spawn ben reilly crap
Oh man that design is sick I can't wait for the series to be shit like wizard
Ghost has a great premise and a cool design. Coming off of liking Gaim and loving Drive, though, there's no way this can be good right? 3 good Riders in a row sounds like an impossible dream at this point, even if we did have the W, OOO and Fourze era.
Ghost is Gaim status right now for the weirdest mixture of motifs.

Ghost ship, unicorn bike, giant iguana, famous dead people...
Correction: He'll ride an iguana. Maybe twice at most.
I hope the badguys are "human", all the good ones in recent memory have been ones where humans get a little of bit of juice and become assholes. Besides Gaim
They seem to be monsters from another dimension, although it still could turn out to be something like Gaim where they were originally human-like.
Until they ran out of all the other colored-paints and made everyone red...the design basis was also all over the place. You'd think the generals would all be like body parts and such like Heart and Brain, but then you have Medic, Freeze, and Gale.

And then the minor ones were like the Gaia Memories in that they were basically anything. Paint, Cook, Judge, etc.

I imagine the Ganma, the villains of Ghost, are probably going to have lots of eyes in their design and everything. Wonder if they're be based off Yokai, or other supernatural creatures...maybe they'll go back to animals.
After the press conference:

What Soul will be the "All the Powers!" Soul?

God Soul?
At this point I got too tired to continue, but we were seriously believing Takeru was going to travel around the world searching for the Eyecons OTL

Yeah, Toei's gonna figure out some way to get that damn Edo set into Ghost, aren't they?
We finally saw the cast (and kinda disliked it), Kishidan (loved it), got bored of Ninnin and hype for Drive finale (and movie, since there were wild spoilers out there), eventually complained about Decade and Wizard again. The rumors and general speculation about a lot of forms right at the start plus the costume having some sort of clothing were spot on. The rest... kinda mixed. MHWilliams and sprsk speculated Ryoma was going to be the mid season upgrade and nobody got the female heroic spirit right.

Let us see how close we get this year!

Top Bottom