• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

Tiu Neo

ToQ villains in general deserved a better season.

And I don't even dislike ToQ that much, I liked how silly it was at times.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I just saw the image. Poor Nero, what did they do to you?

In one episode he changed his face around like Man-E-Faces from Masters of the Universe so there's a slight small chance he's retained his original Nero face.

... But this is a shitty PR season written by hacks and clearly interfered by Nickelodeon so it likely won't happen.

WarRock

Ex-Aid 36

- Only in a toku a raid event for a crowdfunded survival MMO being developed for over 10 years still in early access would drastically raise sales :V
- Oh my God, Muteki is so so so ugly. It's borderline parody.
- Muteki is a musou? Is this a snarky commentary about how OP musou character are against the thousands of rank and file soldiers they kill with a wave of hand? lol
- Hiiro is going full on Super Ghouls and Ghosts eh? Can't stop picturing him in underwear jumping around.
- A couple of really weird cuts in this episode.
- Kiriya and Nico 10/10
- I still dislike Excite as a song but I'll be damned if I'm not singing it every time at this point.

Ahem.

This isn't real but Inoue's Rider novelizations are pretty much this.
Yeah, I remember that. The last line always gets me.

giphy.gif
Sakamoto without a leash is just bad.

NeonZ

Do you guys think Akibarangers deserves a third season?

I think it could work, but the 2nd season didn't inspire confidence that the staff could do it. There were still general cliches left (they didn't even really handle 6th Rangers, only 70s/80s Sentai style cast replacement), but rather than that they focused straight up on specific references to past shows, overall just hurting the humor.

I think it could work, but the 2nd season didn't inspire confidence that the staff could do it. There were still general cliche lefts (they didn't even really handle 6th Rangers, only 70s/80s Sentai style cast replacement), but rather than that they focused straight up on specific references to past shows, overall just hurting the humor.

334.gif

Akagi had issues.

javadoze

Do you guys think Akibarangers deserves a third season?

Season 2 felt a bit lacking, but there's definitely material for a 3rd season if they wanted to do it.

I think it could work, but the 2nd season didn't inspire confidence that the staff could do it. There were still general cliche lefts (they didn't even really handle 6th Rangers, only 70s/80s Sentai style cast replacement), but rather than that they focused straight up on specific references to past shows, overall just hurting the humor.

Seriously. The decision not to bring in a sixth/new ranger for S2 (given the opportunities and jokes in the setup) is still baffling to me. Not to mention how the Akibaranger trio felt a tad lopsided without Mitsuki to even out the craziness.

WarRock

Akibaranger is done, but Rider/Metal Heroes/Ultra/other henshin hero stuff (Lionmaru, Inazuman, etc) inspired seasons would be fire.

I love the new Power Rangers movie.

There's more character and personality in the first twenty minutes than i think the rest of the franchise has ever had.

Even if it DOES take them too long to suit up.

vareon

Riku Sanjo was a manga writer anyway so that should work. What magazine will this be serialized in?

Edit: I think it's Big Comic Spirits? So a seinen publication as expected.

jwk94

Ex-Aid episode XX

This fucking show! I'm absolutely loving what they're doing with everything here. They even had Poppy fight with M and Kiriya! That was great, especially since Poppy started the conversation. And then (next EP spoilers)
them using Taiga's potential death to further Hiro's plot is gold. Even if they copped out on his death, there'll still be some meaningful progress from it. I'm so glad they thought that through.

I love the new Power Rangers movie.

There's more character and personality in the first twenty minutes than i think the rest of the franchise has ever had.

Even if it DOES take them too long to suit up.
Its better that way. The ranger action was pretty bad.

So yeah, the W thing is a manga.

Ehhhh. I might have to pass on that.

WillyFive

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/entertainment/news/2017/07/03/kiji/20170702s00041000316000c.html

Starting from October (the new Rider show) Rider is moving to 9:00am from its current 8:30am timeslot that it had occupied since Kuuga. Meanwhile, Sentai is moving from 7:30am to 9:30am. This means Sentai and Rider will be running against Dragonball Super and One Piece... The anime block that previously aired before Rider and Sentai, with shows like Heybot, is ending.

That's a pretty big deal. TV Asahi finally making moves to attract a bigger audience, changing things that have been in place for decades.

I still think TV is a dead end for the genre aimed at this audience, but maybe it could help a bit.

Tiu Neo

Amazons Season 2 - Finale

Mamoru and the old team :( Jin and Nanaha fight was great, too. That Jin Henshin was so... classic Amazon. The fight between Haruka and Chihiro was cool, too.

And now, the conclusions...

Mamoru's Death flags finally paid off. It was kinda obvious he would die sooner or later, and in the end he survived until the last episode, so that was kinda surprising. Even after everything he made, I still liked him :( Well, rest in peace.

Iyu and Chihiro... I can't say I like them that much, but I like what they were trying to do with that ending. It was cute, even if their relationship development was kinda hamfisted, imo.

On the other side, Nanaha and Jin was one of my favorite plot points this season,
and even if it ended as expected, it was well done.

While I wish we could see the final fight, it was kinda more impactful that way.

Now, this is some speculation, some true:

Season 3 pretty much confirmed. Some Amazon still alive, including Haruka and Jin. Another one year wait :(

Well, there's another element they didn't use this season, that could return next one: That golden bracelet.

Overall... Good season. The new characters (Chihiro, Iyu, the other new guy, the new hunter team) weren't as good as the last season's ones, but the returning characters more than compensated for that. I'd say every returning character was better here than on the original series.

The ending was a lot more fulfilling than last season's, too.

That's a pretty big deal. TV Asahi finally making moves to attract a bigger audience, changing things that have been in place for decades.

I still think TV is a dead end for the genre aimed at this audience, but maybe it could help a bit.

This could be good for Sentai, at least. Doesn't it run against Pokémon, currently?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
http://www.sponichi.co.jp/entertainment/news/2017/07/03/kiji/20170702s00041000316000c.html

Starting from October (the new Rider show) Rider is moving to 9:00am from its current 8:00am timeslot that it had occupied since Kuuga. Meanwhile, Sentai is moving from 7:30am to 9:30am. This means Sentai and Rider will be running against Dragonball Super and One Piece... The anime block that previously aired before Rider and Sentai, with shows like Heybot, is ending.

That's right kill these shows faster

Starting from October (the new Rider show) Rider is moving to 9:00am from its current 8:00am timeslot that it had occupied since Kuuga. Meanwhile, Sentai is moving from 7:30am to 9:30am. This means Sentai and Rider will be running against Dragonball Super and One Piece... The anime block that previously aired before Rider and Sentai, with shows like Heybot, is ending.

Hope it works out for them.

Beardy

How much of the Japanese audience watches anime live rather than recording them on DVR? Or does that only apply to the late night anime shows?

vareon

Wait so NichiAsa is no more? What about PreCure?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
W manga art

DjSfLcA.jpg

Also Kamen Rider Chronicle - Ride-Player Nico edition

170703_chroniclegashatto_01_pc.jpg

Wait so NichiAsa is no more? What about PreCure?

precure remains unchanged, so now precure airs before kamen rider rather than after

from the looks of things, I thought they're killing these shows since they're facing off against OP and DBS

Pluto

from the looks of things, I thought they're killing these shows since they're facing off against OP and DBS
Right now they're facing off against some Pokemon show that's killing them in the ratings.
One Piece and DBS are made for an older audience than Rider and sentai.

Beardy

Studio Trigger is making a Toku anime in collaboration with Tsuburaya Productions (Ultraman) called Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad Gridman.

vareon

It's just Gridman.

Akira Amemiya and Trigger made the Gridman short a few years back, and apparently it's being made into a series now.

jwk94

They're probably shying away from human villains because Saban can't easily kitbash their costumes into new villains for adaptations.

Probably a large part of why GoBusters didn't get done.
How often did that happen when Power Rangers used their own human bosses?

Tiu Neo

Pokemon reruns and talk show, not the actual anime.

Oh, I remember reading somewhere that competing with Pokemon was killing Sentai. If that's the case, well, it was already bad.

The only hope is that Sentai ratings is that its audience is probably a bit younger than DB and One Piece.

KR... eh. Not sure. Maybe they'll make some changes? I mean, Sentai changed quite a bit after the timeslot change, but it could be that it would change anyway.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
FYI there're no more pokemon reruns since last two years ago. Sophia the First took over that first half of the hour. Back then it was first half hour rerun, second half hour variety show. Now it's Sophia the First, then the variety show.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Kyuranger 20

Maybe now is the time you'll remember "this is about teamwork" Stinger?
He'll survive.
Next week looks hype though.

Ex-Aid 37

Masamune circumventing the game code to beat the unbeatable enemy.
Taiga possibly dying, that's something. Maybe he'll get an upgrade? Then again I haven't heard of any new toys so... he'll probably be stuck with Bong Bong Simulations.
I do love that Hyper Muteki essentially has a Fist of the North Star finisher.

Amazons 26 (END?)

You cut out the final fight?! Come on! Well at least I got my wish and Chihiro died, even if it was off-screen.
So what's Haruka going to do now? Be a homeless guy living off McDonalds burgers? And Jin can't survive much longer as a blind vagrant
... And are they seriously teasing a third season?

Tiu Neo

Kyuranger 20

So, Stinger/Scorpio power is turning themselves into Amazons, heh. At least they had the antidote here. Kotaro may be a bit cliche, but I'm glad he isn't as annoying as certain other kid characters. Heh, the Zyuman plushies must have sold well. The Kyuranger plushies also made a cameo.

Next episode will be good. Final battle against Scorpio, already, and KyuFire will show up.

Ex-Aid 37

They really don't know what to do with that opening, huh? The little intro is already gone. Gotta say, through, while Excite still is one of my least favorite Rider opening songs, it grew quite a bit on me.

Ok, Muteki is pretty badass, fighting. And at least the victim of the week part was both fast and kinda important.

Welp, that's one way of killing a character in a way he can't come back. But Hiiro will probably save him.

Dan didn't show up a lot this episode, but even at the toy commercial at the end he was the best.

WillyFive

How often did that happen when Power Rangers used their own human bosses?

Original human villains?

In Space

Time Force

Wild Force

latest

Ninja Storm

RPM

latest

Dino Supercharge

There were other original villains (the purple guy from The Movie, the villain of Dino Thunder, SPD, etc), but they either weren't human or were very different characters in their human form.

Top Bottom