• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

The Hobo

So what is stopping them from creating a metal hero tv show these days instead of just movies or Sentai cameos?

A couple of things.

The first being that there isn't much demand for a MH show, given how poorly the Space Sheriff movies performed.

The second is that it would be in competition with Sentai and Rider, and would eat into the merch sales of both shows.

NeonZ

Metal Heroes were partly folded into Kamen Rider, these days the suits often resemble metal heroes with bug eses more than classic Kamen Rider suits.

Don't forget that Rider started in the early 70s though. Super-1 and ZX were already moving towards a more metallic look before the franchise stopped for some years and when it returned Ishinomori pushed the whole "organic Rider" concept, which also was very different design-wise from the originals too.

The Heisei Rider suits generally just have armored gloves and boots, rather than soft ones, but the only real additional armor are shoulder pads. They generally don't have full armor (complete with crotch plates!) unlike Metal Heroes. Of course, there are exceptions (RoboRider, Maximum Mighty and others that clearly go for a heavy bulky look).

So what is stopping them from creating a metal hero tv show these days instead of just movies or Sentai cameos?

At least, based on what I've read on the Japanese wikipedia, it seems like Metal Heroes often had problems with toy sales, and even when a series succeed, the successor in the same mold often failed (like B-Fighter -> B-Fighter Kabuto), which is why it changed styles so often. I'd guess Bandai is in no hurry to make a serious attempt at a Metal Hero toyline since there isn't even a strong image associated with the brand. Note that the push for these Space Sheriff movies, like Space Squad, comes from specific Toei staff, not Bandai, and Bandai would be absolutely necessary for a new tv show.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I heard GARO is coming to Blu-Ray in America in October. I might pick it up if only to support offical Toku releases.

Toxi

Banned
Gou should've been the MC of Drive. I like Tomari, but his character arc just wasn't as conductive for a year long show. Even during the finale, Sanjo realized it was better to have Gou headline it.
Gou would have been a terrible MC. He develops a really caustic and nasty personality that, while interesting, isn't fun to watch.

Tomari's arc definitely finishes before the show does, but the character has charisma that makes him still enjoyable.

WarRock

Personally, I don't want to watch a Metal Hero show without badasses punching the air with confidence every time they need to deliver a one-liner, so I'm OK with Toei not trying after the awful Neo Gavan stuff.

Going the Amazons route is certainly more appealing, even if less cheesy.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
People seem to be strongly adamant about it being solely a Sonic reference (I am looking at you, KRwiki), but people as usual forget many things.

Hyper Muteki is a literal star man from Mario. The dreads aren't just hair - they're meant to evoke a shooting star's strand (it's why many of his poses have it waving), and his head is meant to be a star. It's actually less of becoming super saiyan and more of turning into an invincibility item.

This shot captures it perfectly.

DDDJtCDV0AAeN79.jpg

What makes their pachinko better than other pachinko?

I guess the pachinko itself. Speaking of KR there's been lots of Rider pachinko, like the one featuring Stronger.

So who will bite it today with Infinite Gamer?

On one hand,
Kiriya joins the gang

On the other hand,
Taiga gets severely injured

Also episode synopses

37 The White Knight's Resolution -
Hiiro is tasked by Masamune to kill Parado to prevent Emu from transforming. Somehow ends up with Taiga being seriously injured.

38 A Moment for Tears -
Taiga gets critically injured, so Hiiro's dad asks him to operate on him. Masamune allows this, but for what reason?

vareon

Hyper Muteki is very top-heavy. Felt like he needs a weapon to balance his silhouette, because now he fights like someone with a very short hand.

Toxi

Banned
People seem to be strongly adamant about it being solely a Sonic reference (I am looking at you, KRwiki), but people as usual forget many things.

Hyper Muteki is a literal star man from Mario. The dreads aren't just hair - they're meant to evoke a shooting star's strand (it's why many of his poses have it waving), and his head is meant to be a star. It's actually less of becoming super saiyan and more of turning into an invincibility item.

This shot captures it perfectly.

DDDJtCDV0AAeN79.jpg
I'm pretty sure it's a reference to both. In the Sonic games, Super Sonic makes you invincible and super-fast while using up your rings, and it ends when the rings run out, so it functions similarly to Muteki and the Star as a temporary power-up. The gold color and the way the hair streaks behind Muteki are also more reminiscent of Super Sonic, even if the rainbow accents and star motif obviously come from Mario.

WarRock

Mighty Action X is literally a Mario homage/rip off and the only thing relating Muteki to Sonic is the golden color, that every "super mode" in japanese popular media under the sun uses. I think the intent is very clear - even more when there wasn't a single homage/wink to Sonic or Sega games in general the whole season.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ex-Aid 36

Oh man that is some gaudy shit. The gold is fine, but the hair. I get the intention, it's the trail you get when invincible but... barf.

Hey, Kiriya was playing both sides. At least he's back.

NeonZ

The hair has to be used in an attack right?

According to the official site, the hair somehow eliminates excess energy from the suit to avoid overheating. That excess energy is why the time is limited to 10 seconds when used as a standard Gashat.

Toxi

Banned
Ex-Aid 36

Kiriya being a double agent was the most predictable shit, but I liked this episode otherwise. Emu tricking Parad was great; after both this and the plan with Kuroto to defeat Chronos earlier, Emu is really demonstrating his cleverness.

Tiu Neo

What's this picture about some continuation of Kamen Rider W? (seems to be from a show or something?)

Wait, whaat? Apparently the scans are true, so... hype, I guess? Not sure until we know more. Will this be the new Amazons-like project?

And... what will they do without Phillip's actor? Unless it's not live action.

Slayven

According to the official site, the hair somehow eliminates excess energy from the suit to avoid overheating. That excess energy is why the time is limited to 10 seconds when used as a standard Gashat.

I love the suit tech specs they throw up.

You can use the new thread for that. I think most people won't read this one.

(Btw, yeah, Orb was fantastic)

Whoops, thank you! ;D

Copy + Paste from the old thread:

Is this the right place to appreciate Ultraman Orb? It's the very first series of its kind I'm watching (regarding kinda similar things: never saw a single episode of Power Rangers or any of that stuff).

It's so bonkers! Funny, dramatic, life-affirming and just very charming. I love every character.

Also there definitely some Doctor Who going on with Gai who basically is a japanese David Tennant. I can't be the only one who feels that way, haha.

Tiu Neo

Whoops, thank you! ;D

Copy + Paste from the old thread:

Is this the right place to appreciate Ultraman Orb? It's the very first series of its kind I'm watching (regarding kinda similar things: never saw a single episode of Power Rangers or any of that stuff).

It's so bonkers! Funny, dramatic, life-affirming and just very charming. I love every character.

Also there definitely some Doctor Who going on with Gai who basically is a japanese David Tennant. I can't be the only one who feels that way, haha.

Orb is really great. The support characters are likable, and the main duo is great. Juggler is one of my top toku villains easily.

And welcome to tokusatsu :D Planning on watching the new Ultraman? Some older series? Something different?

Orb is really great. The support characters are likable, and the main duo is great. Juggler is one of my top toku villains easily.

And welcome to tokusatsu :D Planning on watching the new Ultraman? Some older series? Something different?

Juggler's evil grin is hilarious! I'm done with the first "arc" now. I just watched the filler/recap episode with them cleaning the house, haha.

I'm all in for the new series, yeah! After Orb I'll definitely tackle Ultraman X, though! I watched one or two episodes a year ago but my phone couldn't handle the crunchyroll app – or was it me being annoyed by the same ads playing 5-10 times in a row mutiple times during one episode?

Orb seems to be great for starters because I didn't know anything about Ultraman's history and was able to get into it right away.

Also I love Kaiju so this is comfort food for me! You don't see a fight like this one everyday: Ultraman VS Maga Jappa (the stink monster)!

hutna

Wife and I just finished Kakuranger yesterday. We absolutely loved it and are excited to start our next season. We went with Zyuranger since it was from a similar era, we really like the fantasy theme and it's connection to MMPR. It also has a catchy theme song which is pretty important to me.

Our plan is to watch Zyuranger, Jetman, Turboranger, Dairanger and Ohranger before watching Caranger then move on to more modern Super Sentai seasons before finallly watching Gokaiger.

I hope that with Shout Factory starting their new twitch channel (go watch MST3k if you haven't!) they might do a proper full marathon of Dai and/or Ohranger.

Ex-Aid 36

Kiriya being a double agent was the most predictable shit, but I liked this episode otherwise. Emu tricking Parad was great; after both this and the plan with Kuroto to defeat Chronos earlier, Emu is really demonstrating his cleverness.

It will be interesting to see Kiriya interacting with Neo Kuroto.

javadoze

Build's got a rather... unique silhouette?

Though it looks more like a traditional rider design with the antennae (and a scarf?), that belt is jutting out like crazy.

Tiu Neo

As someone who knows only very limited japanese (Hiragana and Katakana) + google translate, I'm very confused by this.

Build's got a rather... unique silhouette?

Though it looks more like a traditional rider design with the antennae (and a scarf?), that belt is jutting out like crazy.

YES for scarf. And the belt... the silhouette looks kinda like the Amazon belt with a crank on the handles or something like that?

Tiu Neo

Ex-Aid scans, also includes a semi-side profile of Build's silhouette

REMOVED

Belt looks clunky.

Magazine scans are not allowed here. Toy catalogs are ok because they are not sold. Please edit this to remove the link, or you could be banned if a mod sees that.

And just a couple more times and Niko
will be infected by bugsters as many times as Takeru died on Ghost! ...if you don't count the movies.

Tiu Neo

Kyuranger 19

Damn, that armada makes Pre-Legend War Zangyack look amateur (not that the post-Legend War Zangyack didn't do that too). Argo will be OP (and probably nerfed a few episodes later, I guess.)

Hey, that's the Gaim planet. It even has a worthless deity that uses a blonde wig. And Takatora, of course. I just hope Lucky is not the one to defeat Scorpio. Either Stinger or Champ would be much better.

Oh yeah, the fights against the MotW were pretty funny too. Anyway, I wonder what this Orion is. A kyuranger from the past? Hope they develop that a bit more, sounds interesting. I also wonder what's Stinger's plan. Doesn't look like a good idea.

Funny that, if we had to define a core team for Kyurangers going by the most used, it would probably be Red/Yellow/Green, then Silver (and Gold normally) a bit behind. Those must be the ones their agencies want to sell more, heh.

Kyuranger 19

Damn, that armada makes Pre-Legend War Zangyack look amateur (not that the post-Legend War Zangyack didn't do that too). Argo will be OP (and probably nerfed a few episodes later, I guess.)

Hey, that's the Gaim planet. It even has a worthless deity that uses a blonde wig. And Takatora, of course. I just hope Lucky is not the one to defeat Scorpio. Either Stinger or Champ would be much better.

Oh yeah, the fights against the MotW were pretty funny too. Anyway, I wonder what this Orion is. A kyuranger from the past? Hope they develop that a bit more, sounds interesting. I also wonder what's Stinger's plan. Doesn't look like a good idea.

Funny that, if we had to define a core team for Kyurangers going by the most used, it would probably be Red/Yellow/Green, then Silver (and Gold normally) a bit behind. Those must be the ones their agencies want to sell more, heh.

Champ is still in the repair shop? Will they hurry up and give him a new body.

Top Bottom