• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO JUNGLE |OT| The world began without man...and it will end without him.

Epcott

Bought this last night, at $11 on PSN for Plus members, it was a sweet deal. Can't wait to play later tonight.

Just how long is this game, roughly?
What are the online elements? Any multiplayer?
Steep learning curve?

Flipyap

Anyone got any tips for dealing with toxicity? And what are the ways you can unlock animals?
Toxicity: Run to a different zone. Take over a territory and sleep. Water rarely becomes toxic, so use every puddle, if it isn't purple (-5 toxicity, I think). If you're a carnivore, there's a chance some animals won't turn toxic right away, so going on killing sprees can help (-10 toxicity per bite). Plus, anything you eat has a chance to drop an item.
Unlocking animals: Check the challenge menu, the second to last challenge is the one that unlocks the next animal - it usually requires you to mate once or twice and complete 3-4 challenges before it becomes active. If you did that challenge already, move to the next animal. Also, finishing the story mode unlocks 2 animals for purchase for a ridiculous amount of points (750k and 500k).

Ainaurdur

I finally got a PSN card to buy this and I keep getting an error when I try to redeem it. Was really hoping to play this tonight too. Does the PS Plus discount stop tomorrow? If so, I really hope I can grab it before the store updates.

Just be sure that if you wanted the first 4 DLC animals for free (PS+ subscribers only), that offer expires today.

The PS+ discount on the game itself lasts until the 9th.

If you're a carnivore, there's a chance some animals won't turn toxic right away, so going on killing sprees can help (-10 toxicity per bite). Plus, anything you eat has a chance to drop an item.
Be sure to chomp on fallen animals immediately so they won't be contaminated from toxicity.

I love when I see a big sleeping animal which opens me up for the R1 clean kill and instead of "CLEAN KILL" I see "CRITICAL HIT" and I'm like "OH FUCK! GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!" because I'm probably not winning that fight.

Vercimber

This game. THIS game. So funny, as it coincides with RE6.

This IS my GotY thus far, and I can only imagine either NSMBU or ZombiU touching it, though I doubt they will. Graphics whores, eat your hearts out. PS2-level graphics and one of the best games of 2012. Thank you, SCEA, for releasing this here.

zulux21

I love when I see a big sleeping animal which opens me up for the R1 clean kill and instead of "CLEAN KILL" I see "CRITICAL HIT" and I'm like "OH FUCK! GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!" because I'm probably not winning that fight.
If you time everything perfectly, and nothing else gets in your way.... even a rabbit can take out a lion with repeated critical hits lol

Celegus

This game. THIS game. So funny, as it coincides with RE6.

This IS my GotY thus far, and I can only imagine either NSMBU or ZombiU touching it, though I doubt they will. Graphics whores, each your heart-out. PS2-level graphics and one of the best games of 2012. Thank you, SCEA, for releasing this here.

I can't believe I almost let some crappy reviews sway my opinion on getting this game. The PS+ deal sealed it though, and I'm so happy I did. Other than Diablo 3, I can't think of anything else I've enjoyed so much this year.

Toxicity: Run to a different zone. Take over a territory and sleep. Water rarely becomes toxic, so use every puddle, if it isn't purple (-5 toxicity, I think). If you're a carnivore, there's a chance some animals won't turn toxic right away, so going on killing sprees can help (-10 toxicity per bite). Plus, anything you eat has a chance to drop an item.
Unlocking animals: Check the challenge menu, the second to last challenge is the one that unlocks the next animal - it usually requires you to mate once or twice and complete 3-4 challenges before it becomes active. If you did that challenge already, move to the next animal. Also, finishing the story mode unlocks 2 animals for purchase for a ridiculous amount of points (750k and 500k).

Cheers bro :)

KalBalboa

Banned
Downloaded this last night to get in on the PS+ discount while it was still around. I've got a bunch of games to get through first, but I think I'll jump onto this once the Remote Play patch hits.

Stencil

Got to year 59 on my second play as the Pom. Died from hunger, or toxicity, can't remember. It was all a hectic blur. Thought I'd just try out the Silka before bed, ended up dying in the sewers around year 40. It was 4 am.
Game is like a time machine.

Koroviev

Got to year 59 on my second play as the Pom. Died from hunger, or toxicity, can't remember. It was all a hectic blur. Thought I'd just try out the Silka before bed, ended up dying in the sewers around year 40. It was 4 am.
Game is like a time machine.

It is, lol.

So when you mate and instead of getting the "Stat +3" message you get the "Happy birthday" message, does that mean your stats don't increase for that generation? If so, how can one avoid it? I notice it's most common when I mate often.

pantsmith

So when you mate and instead of getting the "Stat +3" message you get the "Happy birthday" message, does that mean your stats don't increase for that generation? If so, how can one avoid it? I notice it's most common when I mate often.

I think thats tied to the stats you earned from challenges, but I could be wrong.

So you can only pass on additional stats to a new generation, not stats you already had.

I think thats tied to the stats you earned from challenges, but I could be wrong.

So you can only pass on additional stats to a new generation, not stats you already had.
So for maximum effectiveness, do as many challenges as possible between mating cycles? Makes sense.

Another related question, do stat boosts from challenges carry over to offspring in the same survival cycle? Or do offspring only receive the boosts from the challenges they complete personally?

hswbaz

Neo Member
So for maximum effectiveness, do as many challenges as possible between mating cycles? Makes sense.

Another related question, do stat boosts from challenges carry over to offspring in the same survival cycle? Or do offspring only receive the boosts from the challenges they complete personally?

It appears to be only from the challenges they complete personally.

Also, keep in mind that the better the mate you mate with, the more stats from the completed challenges will be passed on (the worst mate seems to pass on 10% at best, with the best being 50%+).

zulux21

*recalls twitter post about more tokyo jungle dlc coming*
*checks store update*
zzNnW.jpg

maybe next week will bring more DLC... I want to play as a kangaroo :(

Finally had some time to sit down with this game and made it to 50 years on my Pomeranian. I was doing fine until I was stuck in a territory with no more food and tigers occupying the surrounding territories that I had already claimed. Couldn't really get anywhere...what the hell do I do in this situation?

zulux21

Me, too. I don't know exactly why, but I'm way more interested in being a kanga than any other animal.

well they are pretty badass (I mean they are far harder to take down than lions or tigers)
in general Kangaroos are awesome
plus... punching rabbits to death while wearing boxing gloves sounds fun :p

Kangaroo better have double... no, triple jumping ability!

I assume they will have a double like every other grazer (I assume they will be grazers as they are naturally herbivores)

Fuck Toxicity. Game would be better without it

I continue to be mixed on the toxicity. Sometimes I appreciate it as a challenge so that I don't just stick to the same area, but then if all of a sudden something happens like there's NOTHING to hunt (or things I kill immediately become toxic), my hunger meter is draining, and my efforts to reach Boss are a waste because the two mates I just unlocked are desperate flea ridden things I want nothing to do with so it's on to the next area. Then toxicity shows up and the game is just flat out telling me to go fuck myself.

Sgblues

So cleared story mode last night and it was funny as well as fun especially the final boss and the escape sequence
I did wish you could unlock that version of the robot dog with the lasers and jet rockets also I kinda liked how the view changed as you made your escape, I'm kinda thinking if they make a TJ2 it should have the ability to switch to that view.

Alright, I cracked 100 with a Lycaon. It's mostly all about
hanging out in the sewer from around 75 onwards. One tip: if you use a portable bed to mate in the sewer, all of the marking spots respawn as if you'd mated somewhere else.

Jeez, cheetahs go down in like 2 hits. I figured that wouldn't be happening once I got to the mid tier animals.

And damn, I must have already put like 30 hours into this. I'm determined to unlock everything, but damn is it going to take a while. Doesn't help that I've lost a few hours without getting anything of note before dying.

Flipyap

Finally had some time to sit down with this game and made it to 50 years on my Pomeranian. I was doing fine until I was stuck in a territory with no more food and tigers occupying the surrounding territories that I had already claimed. Couldn't really get anywhere...what the hell do I do in this situation?
Items that halt stamina loss are very useful for getting through those territories - temporarily unlimited dodge should let you outrun just about anything, except for those darned panthers. Not that the next territory will be much safer that late in the game, but...

Carl

Played for the first time. Used the Deer and completely sucked. Yay :p

Got up to 20 years then got mauled by a fucking huge... thing. Wah :(

Walk into Dogenzaka with the Sika Deer. It's paradise. Nothing but rabbits as far as the eye can see. The food meter for the area is max (!). My herd is going to spend a decade here.

Then night falls. Rabbits and food are replaced by lions and toxicity. Nature is cruel.

Koroviev

Walk into Dogenzaka with the Sika Deer. It's paradise. Nothing but rabbits as far as the eye can see. The food meter for the area is max (!). My herd is going to spend a decade here.

Then night falls. Rabbits and food are replaced by lions and toxicity. Nature is cruel.

I would try to avoid food-abundant areas if you're playing as a small animal. Those places are always swarming with large animals, herbivores and carnivores.

Stencil

Woah the underground sections are cool. Marked it successfully despite swarming with
wolves, leopards and bears
oh my. Then the only females available needed me to rank up. Ugh. Died trying to stealth kill a sleeping
leopard
. The things I do for love...

I didn't realize I still had $3 sitting in my Wallet so I was able to pick this one up for $12.

Made it to 24 years and then Pomeranian got mauled by a stampede of kitties. Pomeranian RIP in pieces. I guess that's okay for a first try, I should learn to run away when there's like 20 of them and 2 of me.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Lived nearly 50 years as a Sheep. A tiger ended up taking out my whole crew in one shot. :lol

Also the temporary tattoo is the best equipment in the game. Makes creatures your size or smaller not attack you unless provoked. Super useful early-game, especially when you're a herbivore.

Top Bottom