• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO JUNGLE |OT| The world began without man...and it will end without him.

Wow, after reading the archives and getting to the 2nd to last act, I'm actually starting to get into the story. Wasn't expecting that in what feels like a really addictive arcade game.

And damn, I must have already put like 30 hours into this. I'm determined to unlock everything, but damn is it going to take a while.

i really like the unlock/story system in this game. It takes a long while yes but still you can choose if you want to pursue unlocking a new breed or not by going for the challenge/datadisks straight away.

codhand

This game reminds me of Cubivore. Having trouble getting far in Survival mode, not sure what point I'm to switch over to Story mode, but this game is really fun, glad I took the plunge.

coldfoot

Banned
I went to the sewers and all the way to the right is some secret lab that I can't get into. Is it possible to get inside there and how?

I went to the sewers and all the way to the right is some secret lab that I can't get into. Is it possible to get inside there and how?

Keep playing story missions ;)

Wow, after reading the archives and getting to the 2nd to last act, I'm actually starting to get into the story. Wasn't expecting that in what feels like a really addictive arcade game.

Yeah , the archives and story were a pleasant surprise for me since i didnt really expect there was one. The archives were a nice little puzzle that fits in the end.

Celegus

Lived nearly 50 years as a Sheep. A tiger ended up taking out my whole crew in one shot. :lol

Also the temporary tattoo is the best equipment in the game. Makes creatures your size or smaller not attack you unless provoked. Super useful early-game, especially when you're a herbivore.

So, would nothing attaack the Elephant? You can just do as you please the whole time and nothing will ever attack?

This game

is

INSANE!

I played for the first time last night, just a few survival rounds ("I'll just play one more" turned into about 10), and although I currently kind of suck at it, I'm having a blast!

Furthest I got was 3 generations in, played as the Fat Cat, and got destroyed by some panthers about 25 years in.
Tried the deer and got wrecked by a beagle within about 2 minutes. I hid, jumped out, kicked him, thought he was dead, and he got up and one-shot killed me, lol.

This game, man. This game.

The other problem I have is that it seems to rain CONSTANTLY the few times I played; meaning there are hardly any animals out to hunt/eat. Naturally when I played as the deer it didn't rain in the short period I was alive.

Now I need to dig through this thread and look for some tips. I want to unlock a chimp or something. :D

Celegus

My main tip would be to try and make sure you do the animal unlock challenge at the bottom of the challenge list instead of constantly trying to improve your score as a certain animal (unless that's your thing). There are just so many animals to unlock that you don't want to burn yourself out on the game before you get them all.

Dreweyes

Had to Instagram this when I saw it lol...

WcnSh.jpg

Mondriaan

I had a sika deer run where I put a horse between my deer and a lion cub because I was curious what the horse would do. I learned from playing a pom that horses can pretty much ignore many of the smaller predators because they can absolutely destroy them whenever they want.

The horse stomped the cub and then proceeded to destroy my entire herd.

I think it was still worth it to see that lion cub get destroyed.

Kazzy

Damn it! I was prowling around the shopping district looking for the jackal boss, but I could not get him to spawn. I must have killed around 100 jackals, but nothing!

zulux21

Damn it! I was prowling around the shopping district looking for the jackal boss, but I could not get him to spawn. I must have killed around 100 jackals, but nothing!

I can't recall if it's a kill the boss of secure the area one, do double check that it isn't a secure the area one as there are a few in there that aren't kill the boss.

Shaneus

Oh guys, the latest Idle Thumbs discusses Tokyo Jungle at great length. There's a minor spoiler about one of the last unlockables and how it relates to the story so be aware of that, but otherwise it's a good little discussion.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Been playing it on and off for the last two days. I love this game. Have only unlocked the Gazelle so far. Hope the Kangaroo DLC is out soon.

Mandoric

Banned
I can't recall if it's a kill the boss of secure the area one, do double check that it isn't a secure the area one as there are a few in there that aren't kill the boss.

First rule of Tokyo Jungle: Piss everywhere, you'll never regret it (unless you're like in year x9 and you have a 'mark x territories' req coming)

I'm on the defense-oriented Story mission in Yamanote, and seriously fuck my NPC AI. Need to figure out how to cheese the spawns to only get one group at a time.

zulux21

First rule of Tokyo Jungle: Piss everywhere, you'll never regret it (unless you're like in year x9 and you have a 'mark x territories' req coming)

I'm on the defense-oriented Story mission in Yamanote, and seriously fuck my NPC AI. Need to figure out how to cheese the spawns to only get one group at a time.

is that story mission 9 where you are a
lion

if so the way I did it was I stayed away from what I needed to protect lol...
all the spawns came to me instead of the stuff I needed to protect so I just took care of them ^^;

Celegus

Bwahaha the tuxedo is finally mine! Did it with the wolf while also collecting the data discs and unlocking the next animal. I'm still alive at year 80 when I saved, so maybe I'll hit 100. Eeking out some of those objectives just in time was so intense, especially the last one of getting 7 stealth kills. All I could find was crocodiles and dinosaurs (which I tried and failed to stealth kill) until I got into the sewers at age 73. So good!

Twiccan

Neo Member
Anyone else get the chicken party special event? MAN that was some good eatin'!! Hated leaving that area, lol, because everything around it was like a wasteland as far as the food level was concerned.

Kattbuss

Man, this game is so awesome!
Unlocked every predator up until the hyena since yesterday and planning on tackling grazers later.

Managed to get to year 75 just now, everything had gone great and I had escaped the toxicity on the surface for the safety for the sewers. Food was good but what's this?! An elevator, let's go down and check! I explore a bit and promptly got eaten by a fucking dinosaur!

Really starting to enjoy the story as well, haven't gotten that far as I didn't realize I had to play the mission in order to be able to unlock the next. Does anyone know how many missions there are in total?
Also, where can you find the entrance to the sewers in the woods? Feels like I've looked everywhere...

Man, this game is so awesome!
Unlocked every predator up until the hyena since yesterday and planning on tackling grazers later.

Managed to get to year 75 just now, everything had gone great and I had escaped the toxicity on the surface for the safety for the sewers. Food was good but what's this?! An elevator, let's go down and check! I explore a bit and promptly got eaten by a fucking dinosaur!

Really starting to enjoy the story as well, haven't gotten that far as I didn't realize I had to play the mission in order to be able to unlock the next. Does anyone know how many missions there are in total?
Also, where can you find the entrance to the sewers in the woods? Feels like I've looked everywhere...

14 missions in total. To get the last 3 data drives, you'll have to back into the sewers.

The entrance to the sewers in Shibuya Woods is all the way in the bottom right corner of the region, last time I checked.

Also, I recently unlocked the Bear. I killed one of those raptor things easily with it. My grizzly fellow is unstoppable. I use the Bear if I ever need to grind for points. Except when I get jumped by 20 full grown Lions. Then I run like a sonofabitch. And can someone tell me how a cow outruns a cheetah? Really, it's annoying when I'm the fastest animal in the game (presumably) and I can't catch up to a cow when it runs away.

cj_iwakura

I'm on this after finishing Brutal Legend. Amazing so far.

I hope the music gets better? Tutorial beats are kind of repetitive.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

That's my only major complaint about this game. The music is annoying and there are no options, so you can't mute it. After awhile you get used to it, but usually I'll just listen to some music on my headphones since audio isn't too important to the game.

Flipyap

Fuck getting the "animal" after the raptor feels damn near impossible.

Anyone have tips? Also, how good is the tuxedo boost? Maybe that could help my case
Try to mate with a prime female before going on unlock challenges, you'll get more "extra lives"/distractions to leave behind to die (with the triangle button).
You could try to kite them out of the area one by one to make fighting easier, if you plan to go for the kill.
Sometimes you might just need to get lucky and have the game generate some animals the predators would rather hunt instead of you. Just let them chase those and run from marking spot to marking spot.

Tuxedo stats:

LIFE +140
ATTACK +30
DEFENSE +3
STAMINA +60
HUNGER +60
SPEED +20

The catch is that you can't buy it and you'd have to do all challenges again if you want to get a new one.

There's some different music in the story mode, but in survival it's mostly just that one tune... and no sound options.

coldfoot

Banned
Mission 9 was hard. Also is there list somewhere that shows how to unlock animals or do I just have to wait for random boss fights to pop up and go beat them?

Flipyap

Mission 9 was hard. Also is there list somewhere that shows how to unlock animals or do I just have to wait for random boss fights to pop up and go beat them?
Each animal unlocks one animal, or two in case of the hyena.
Check the challenge list, the second one from the bottom is the one you need to complete to unlock an animal. It becomes active after mating once or twice and completing a few challenges. If you did that already, move on to the next animal.
Finishing the story mode will also unlock 2 special animals.

Try to mate with a prime female before going on unlock challenges, you'll get more "extra lives"/distractions to leave behind to die (with the triangle button).
You could try to kite them out of the area one by one to make fighting easier, if you plan to go for the kill.
Sometimes you might just need to get lucky and have the game generate some animals the predators would rather hunt instead of you. Just let them chase those and run from marking spot to marking spot.

Tuxedo stats:

LIFE +140
ATTACK +30
DEFENSE +3
STAMINA +60
HUNGER +60
SPEED +20

The catch is that you can't buy it and you'd have to do all challenges again if you want to get a new one.

There's some different music in the story mode, but in survival it's mostly just that one tune... and no sound options.

Wow nice stats that probably would help my case.

I'll try another attempt looking for a prime, but I'm not sure if this works with the raptor. Of all the territories I captured, I only got weak raptors as mates (about 9 different times) even though I was seeking out at least a normal mate. I wasn't sure if its a limitation put on the raptors. Also, I'm not sure hiding in tall grass works as a raptor. I have to check again as I only attempted it once.

zulux21

I didn't find it to bad... only reason I failed it once was because I forgot to eat and by the time I remembered I was pretty much dead from hunger and took a hit lol

W1SSY

So I finally caved after watching Patrick on Giant Bomb play more Tokyo Jungle and picked this up. I just had a 50 year run with the pomeranian with a ton of crazy moments. The best was running into a new area only to run into a god damn polar bear. Needless to say I just took of running and was lucky enough to run into some silky terriers to pull agro from me. Ended with a final score of 80,720 which doesn't seem bad for a first run.

Was watching a fight between a tiger and a polar bear, and the bear friggin body slammed me to death trying to aim for the tiger! That'll teach me to spectate again.

Dreweyes

Here's a map I found to help out anyone else that rather hates those "find x" challenges. It's a bit congested but at least it's a start.

Thanks for that map, looks pretty useful!

I had a challenge to go to the Parking Lot, and ran around that area on the map forever (near bike and stop sign) and didn't get a challenge clear. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom