• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO JUNGLE |OT| The world began without man...and it will end without him.

Question about the local co-op. Can Player 2 mate? A friend of mine was playing as a wolf, but while I kept mating with my respective species, she couldn't mate with hers and ended up dying of old age.

dubq

I love this game but I kind of hate the pollution "feature." Just seems to come on too often in every game I play.

zulux21

Question about the local co-op. Can Player 2 mate? A friend of mine was playing as a wolf, but while I kept mating with my respective species, she couldn't mate with hers and ended up dying of old age.

if you let her pick up a partner and mate(aka she hits O on the nest) then she can mate, if you are the one that always triggers it then she can't. unfortunately in co op even if you both have mates only the one that triggers the mate will mate... thus late game it's much harder to not die to old age since you need to repeatedly switch off who is mating in order to be able to stay young.

Screw crocodiles. My Pomeranian was walking during a low visibility night and a croc jumped out of nowhere scaring me a little as it killed my Pomeranian in one bite.

flyover

I love this game but I kind of hate the pollution "feature." Just seems to come on too often in every game I play.

I'm with you. Toxicity is the only thing I don't enjoy about the game. It's only rarely affected my success at surviving, but there's been a time or two where I did everything right and still couldn't avoid a death from it. Just seems arbitrarily punitive, when the rest of the game is tense enough as it is.

I'm tempted to say it doesn't really fit the game, but this is a game where I'm a golden retriever wearing a headlamp and schoolgirl boots. Given that, just about anything goes.

Like you, I still love the game. It's the first time I wish the PSN had gifting, because I want to make some friends try it.

zulux21

I'm with you. Toxicity is the only thing I don't enjoy about the game. It's only rarely affected my success at surviving, but there's been a time or two where I did everything right and still couldn't avoid a death from it. Just seems arbitrarily punitive, when the rest of the game is tense enough as it is.

I'm tempted to say it doesn't really fit the game, but this is a game where I'm a golden retriever wearing a headlamp and schoolgirl boots. Given that, just about anything goes.

Like you, I still love the game. It's the first time I wish the PSN had gifting, because I want to make some friends try it.

you could always do the old school way of gifting... grabbing a PSN card, walking over to their house... kicking their door down... signing into their ps3, adding the psn card to their account and forcing them to buy it o.o;

ElFly

Damn got to 78 years with beagles. My dog could ohko lions with a sneak attack.

Finally got killed when escaping from sabertooth tigers AND velociraptors. Here's to you, little dude.

Does anybody know where the fuck is the tokyo tower vantage point?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Damn got to 78 years with beagles. My dog could ohko lions with a sneak attack.

Finally got killed when escaping from sabertooth tigers AND velociraptors. Here's to you, little dude.

Does anybody know where the fuck is the tokyo tower vantage point?

I believe it's right near the entrance to Shibuya Suburbs. There's a street you can't go down, and if you look way back in the distance, you can see the Tokyo Tower.

I'm with you. Toxicity is the only thing I don't enjoy about the game.

all my games so far have ended in me dying of pollution instead of anything else :p

it always starts from some corner of the map, pollution jumps to a 100% and there is NO food within the next 3 areas at all :( the only hope of survival is to mad dash through the area to capture all flags and sleep/mate but thats only temporary as next i die of hunger :D

Sgblues

I dunno if armor really makes a difference, since I notice I get hit for more dmg, if not ohko at times(which often kills everyone else and instant game over) so I mostly just wear nothing as I'm usually just trying to do stealth kills and run away(if I can) from stuff I can't stun easily(which is like everything 90+ years)

And it breaks really easily, especially footwear.

Flipyap

I dunno if armor really makes a difference, since I notice I get hit for more dmg, if not ohko at times(which often kills everyone else and instant game over) so I mostly just wear nothing as I'm usually just trying to do stealth kills and run away(if I can) from stuff I can't stun easily(which is like everything 90+ years)

And it breaks really easily, especially footwear.
Depends on the item. Ones that give you more "hunger"/stamina can be real lifesavers. I don't think there's anything that would let a Pomeranian take as much damage as a lion, but there is stuff that can make it hit as hard.

Yeah, footwear is garbage, I only put it on when I really need its specific stat boosts.

You guys just aren't badass enough to live through toxicity 8)

In all seriousness, if you guys are having problems, use portable beds or mark ASAP and sleep first instead of mating. It will get rid of all the toxicity. Don't be afraid to eat even if you're at max rank/not hungry, since animals drop items (go for pigeons and crows, too! They love dropping shit). Even if most are jerky, that jerky can help you get out of areas much quicker (the best jerky allowed me to jump over 100 jumps. Yes, I counted.).

Personally, toxicity adds an element of tension that's half bullshit and half thrills. All my favorite survival runs have included me overcoming toxicity and making it my bitch. Yes, sometimes you get out of one polluted area and land into another, but that's what makes living through it all the more satisfying! Toxicity can be a pain, yeah, but the game is designed in such a way that all its elements ride each others' backs. The longer you live, the more challenging things become because you have to take a lot of things into consideration and balance your decisions--and this is when the game truly shines for me.

The best moments are when the game is determined to not let you live and makes it dark (or rain heavily) and polluted, all while adding predators for you to aggro as you try to escape to safety. You stealth bite one only to draw aggro from something you couldn't even see on the map. It's bigger than you and you don't want to risk losing health, so you run. Suddenly, the one asshole chasing you turns to two; then five; and then fifteen, all while your hunger bar depletes, your toxicity reaches critical levels, and your health starts to steadily go down. Your only sense of relief is when you open up your item menu, thinking you're buying yourself some time, and then opening it again in a painful cycle that leads to despair as you realize you're on your last item. Then you're just yelling at your TV for stuff to fuck off and panicking when the stampede behind you swipes at your animal and you barely manage to jump away, avoiding a massacre. You survive. You escape. You feel awesome.

And then you die anyway because the game hates you and there's no food in the immediate area of the location you escaped to, and you may or may not be poisoned still! And, yet, you can't help but feel like a fucking badass. Death is an experience in this game, and you will always think on it exactly because everything is against your success (as a smaller animal, anyway; I haven't unlocked the bigger ones). You're never just going to shrug them off. Sure, some of them will break your heart and make you stop playing the game for a bit, but you will always go back--and that's what we call masochism. It's awesome.

I fucking love this game <3

Dreweyes

In all seriousness, if you guys are having problems, use portable beds or mark ASAP and sleep first instead of mating. It will get rid of all the toxicity. Don't be afraid to eat even if you're at max rank/not hungry, since animals drop items (go for pigeons and crows, too! They love dropping shit). Even if most are jerky, that jerky can help you get out of areas much quicker (the best jerky allowed me to jump over 100 jumps. Yes, I counted.).

Personally, toxicity adds an element of tension that's half bullshit and half thrills. All my favorite survival runs have included me overcoming toxicity and making it my bitch. Yes, sometimes you get out of one polluted area and land into another, but that's what makes living through it all the more satisfying! Toxicity can be a pain, yeah, but the game is designed in such a way that all its elements ride each others' backs. The longer you live, the more challenging things become because you have to take a lot of things into consideration and balance your decisions--and this is when the game truly shines for me.

The best moments are when the game is determined to not let you live and makes it dark (or rain heavily) and polluted, all while adding predators for you to aggro as you try to escape to safety. You stealth bite one only to draw aggro from something you couldn't even see on the map. It's bigger than you and you don't want to risk losing health, so you run. Suddenly, the one asshole chasing you turns to two; then five; and then fifteen, all while your hunger bar depletes, your toxicity reaches critical levels, and your health starts to steadily go down. Your only sense of relief is when you open up your item menu, thinking you're buying yourself some time, and then opening it again in a painful cycle that leads to despair as you realize you're on your last item. Then you're just yelling at your TV for stuff to fuck off and panicking when the stampede behind you swipes at your animal and you barely manage to jump away, avoiding a massacre. You survive. You escape. You feel awesome.

And then you die anyway because the game hates you and there's no food in the immediate area of the location you escaped to, and you may or may not be poisoned still! And, yet, you can't help but feel like a fucking badass. Death is an experience in this game, and you will always think on it exactly because everything is against your success (as a smaller animal, anyway; I haven't unlocked the bigger ones). You're never just going to shrug them off. Sure, some of them will break your heart and make you stop playing the game for a bit, but you will always go back--and that's what we call masochism. It's awesome.

Perfect post. &#9829;

Sgblues

Depends on the item. Ones that give you more "hunger"/stamina can be real lifesavers. I don't think there's anything that would let a Pomeranian take as much damage as a lion, but there is stuff that can make it hit as hard.

Yeah, footwear is garbage, I only put it on when I really need its specific stat boosts.

The thing is I'm not playing the Pomeranian, but the higher leveled carnivores(lions, tigers, raptors) and I still can get one-shoted at times, the only carnivore that can take hits is the bear, which makes sense but its dumb to think a lion or a tiger or even a raptor can't take more than 1-2 hits from some things, in many of the "take over territory" objective to unlock stuff you really feel it there the most.

Flipyap

[...]
I would like it if toxicity and scarcity of stuff that lets you deal with it were toned down a bit, but I wouldn't want to play without it. It adds tension to areas that happened to roll no resources, it adds diversity to your hunts - great risk/reward gameplay; and how about those sewers? In theory, they have an infinite supply of nourishment... except it can also kill you if you don't balance it right.
Plus, it's an important part of the story/world and a great sadness generator. This game.

The best moments are when the game is determined to not let you live

Exactly what i had on my Pig survival yesterday :D My challenge was to make it to Yoyogi Park West from the suburbs...

I was there, 100% polluted, chased by 5 wolves and 3 lions. No food/all food poisoned in nearby areas. And i was actually proud that i eventually died from the toxins, not by getting eaten by the chasing beasts. That'll do pig, that'll do.

you learn to accept defeat in this game :D

zulux21

The thing is I'm not playing the Pomeranian, but the higher leveled carnivores(lions, tigers, raptors) and I still can get one-shoted at times, the only carnivore that can take hits is the bear, which makes sense but its dumb to think a lion or a tiger or even a raptor can't take more than 1-2 hits from some things, in many of the "take over territory" objective to unlock stuff you really feel it there the most.

i've been playing as the wolf and stuff around there and I never get 1 shot unless I don't pay attention to the evade thing. The really scary stuff will indeed take me down in 2-3 hits but I can take like 4-5 from most things like lions or tigers o_O:

This game is hard. Tried survival 5 times, and would like to know if these tactics could work:

1) Leaving dead bodies to return to when hungry
2) Foregoing challenges that take me far away from vital objectives

This game is hard. Tried survival 5 times, and would like to know if these tactics could work:

Depending on the weather conditions, bodies can turn toxic really quickly or last quite a while. But they'll always go bad eventually (or just disappear when you mate or whatever). You can carry a body around with you.

No challenges are really necessary. You'll want to do the boss challenges if you want to progress with your unlocks, but those last a long time. If you see that a challenge is going to take you through a couple of areas with almost no food, you might want to skip it.

ElFly

I don't mind toxicity. It's just another way the game has to try to kill you.

One thing I learned is that the items that keep stamina up are meant for escaping like mad with the right stick. Those things saved me from a pack of lions that has almost trapped me in the yamanote line.

That reminds me. Is there no way back to the rest of the map from the park area? Is the yamanote line the only way in or out?

1) Leaving bodies will only help at the start of the game, the first two or maaaybe three generations.

After that, they will go bad and give you toxicity when you eat them.

web01

So after 100 years do
hominids
always spawn?
Was pretty crazy they where everywhere I ran. Was at least 20 chasing me until i got cornered in the sewer stairs from both sides and died. My golden retriever stood no chance.

Also why are there two Gazelle? I cant notice any difference not even in colour unlike cats and rabbits.

Flipyap

That reminds me. Is there no way back to the rest of the map from the park area? Is the yamanote line the only way in or out?
There's one underground cave in the top right corner of the park area that leads to the sewer under Shibuya. Small animals can also use a certain pipe in the sewer to get straight to Shibuya Station.

Celegus

Got so close to getting the tuxedo with the pig and tosa, but some sets of objectives get pretty ridiculous. Run all the way across the map, mate two times, kill 40 animals... sometimes you're just screwed. I rarely make it to 60-70+ years because I end up making suicide runs to try and complete objectives. I'm excited to get the horse/cheetah because I like running fast and just blazing through areas.

ElFly

There's one underground cave in the top right corner of the park area that leads to the sewer under Shibuya. Small animals can also use a certain pipe in the sewer to get straight to Shibuya Station.

Really? I was looking around in that cave last night and found nothing.

Another thing to look for I guess.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I could not figure out how to start the story. I did the tutorial, which unlocked story mode. Then in story mode it listed the tutorial which said complete. The other boxes were locked. What am I missing?

Did you let her mark?

if you let her pick up a partner and mate(aka she hits O on the nest) then she can mate, if you are the one that always triggers it then she can't. unfortunately in co op even if you both have mates only the one that triggers the mate will mate... thus late game it's much harder to not die to old age since you need to repeatedly switch off who is mating in order to be able to stay young.

Ah, that explains it. Although, your post confused me a little, zulux. If her and I both have mates, will her mate disappear if I mate first? That's what I thought you meant.

I could not figure out how to start the story. I did the tutorial, which unlocked story mode. Then in story mode it listed the tutorial which said complete. The other boxes were locked. What am I missing?

You have to get the data drives in Survival mode to unlock the rest of the story. If you have the right animal, it's really easy.

Survival mode -> find 3 Data Drives that are marked in your map -> unlock next chapter in Story -> Complete the chapter -> back to Survival mode and find 3 more Data Drives ->

hswbaz

Neo Member
1) Leaving dead bodies to return to when hungrys

I've had other animals come and eat the corpses I left behind (even the crows will participate).

After playing dozens of runs, I'm comfortable now in saying I much prefer herbivores (when I started I never though I'd feel this way). The feeling of survival, avoiding all other harmful creatures (in some cases pitting them against each other), and just trying to escape whenever possible while eating/marking is intense. I had a Deer run (last challenge, eat a bunch of mushrooms) and every zone I went to was fogged/heavily polluted/heavily rained on, even resting did little, so it was the most intense time trying to find the mushrooms in time while running zone to zone dodging dinosaurs/crocodiles/lions. On year 76, after failing the challenge I decided to try and survive, only to round a corner in a heavily fogged area into a pack of dinosaurs, that killed my packmates, and as I ran I lost out on stamina and messed up a jump only to wind up dinner.

That run kept me up hours longer than I should have, but so intense!

Edit: In regards to pollution, at first I hated it, but after playing dozens of runs with it, my last run I had heavy pollution in almost every area with scarce food and had no problem surviving it. It's something you get used to after awhile, and picking up every item you can will help you in those emergency times. Also if your pollution is almost full but you can mate soon, always worth it to eat high calorie things just to boost you up to a higher rank (more siblings, more lives through pollution). Few things to mitigate pollution, drinking water/eating food will lower it 5/10 respectively if the water/food isn't poisoned, and resting will erase your poison and fill your life bar (a lot of times I rest before I go find a mate, huge boost). If all of that fails, use some of those bottled waters/pet foods you save up as you explore and those will sustain you in the meantime, but you really shouldn't have to use those very often or at all.

I had to. I can't get enough of the cover:

Ul7Mt.jpg

Got the image from PS Europe's Flickr.

I've had other animals come and eat the corpses I left behind (even the crows will participate).

After playing dozens of runs, I'm comfortable now in saying I much prefer herbivores (when I started I never though I'd feel this way). The feeling of survival, avoiding all other harmful creatures (in some cases pitting them against each other), and just trying to escape whenever possible while eating/marking is intense. I had a Deer run (last challenge, eat a bunch of mushrooms) and every zone I went to was fogged/heavily polluted/heavily rained on, even resting did little, so it was the most intense time trying to find the mushrooms in time while running zone to zone dodging dinosaurs/crocodiles/lions. On year 76, after failing the challenge I decided to try and survive, only to round a corner in a heavily fogged area into a pack of dinosaurs, that killed my packmates, and as I ran I lost out on stamina and messed up a jump only to wind up dinner.

That run kept me up hours longer than I should have, but so intense!

Oh man, I definitely agree. I love playing as Grazers. When I play as a Predator, I breeze through Survival mode, eating as much as I can and mating with prime females ASAP. Nobody fucks with 5 jackals being led by a Jackal Boss. Not even panthers.

Grazers require finesse to play as. You have to be extra careful not to get mauled by Predators while roaming around for food. It's much harder, because you can't simply kill other animals and eat them afterwards. Food is scarcer for Grazers, and it's harder to become an Alpha Male (mostly) for this reason. Plants get toxic often, while animals aren't usually toxic after you kill them.

They can be difficult to play as. Especially the Elephant. I move so slow and often die before I can find food, as plants are sometimes hard to come by. I can't help but think if I could eat the tall grass (rendering it useless if I choose to eat it) in order to restore a small amount of my hunger bar, it could balance out the game a bit. Maybe that's just me.

After it's all said and done, I still love playing as Grazers, but I die way too often. After I unlock every animal, I'm definitely going to do one long playthrough, doing every single challenge I can.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Survival mode -> find 3 Data Drives that are marked in your map -> unlock next chapter in Story -> Complete the chapter -> back to Survival mode and find 3 more Data Drives ->

Wow, complicated, does the game tell you this?

El-Suave

Are there Shiba Inu's in this game? I will buy it regardless soon, but knowing in advance would help avoid disappointment if they're not in.

Are there Shiba Inu's in this game? I will buy it regardless soon, but knowing in advance would help avoid disappointment if they're not in.

No.

Dog breeds in the game are Pomeranians, Silky Terriers, Beagles, Golden Retrievers, and Tosa Inus.

And a super secret one for beating Story Mode ;)

Ainaurdur

Wow, complicated, does the game tell you this?
Don't think it clearly does in-game, but if you read the digital manual by pressing the PS button, it does.

Not in currently. At least I don't think they are. But who knows what sort of future DLC there might be.

Oh man the tuxedo is so absurd.
My stats for the Panther -> My stats with tuxedo on.

Life 95 -------------> 235
Attack 165 ---------> 195
Defense 42 --------> 45 (okay that isn't so good)
Stamina 123 ------> 183
Hunger 35 ---------> 95
Speed 221 ---------> 241

Totally worth the trouble of completing all challenges (well there's the trophy too but who cares?)
There is a catch though...can't buy them in stores even after you unlock one....

Top Bottom