• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

Robin64

Are there any healing points outside of dungeons where you can get fully healed without having to buy drinks/etc?

Nope, all healing points are buying a drink or something.

The only two free ones I've seen are in the very first dungeon and in the arena.

Rainy

Banned
It was kinda being discussed on the last page but I really do love how upbeat and colorful this game is. I haven't been feeling swell recently (more emotionally I guess?) and this game has been great for me.

Anyway time to move onto Chapter 4 today, wasn't able to play yesterday!

Isn't this game like Persona where all the romance with the other girls is purely optional so none of it is canon?

Yep! I was just messing around because Eleonora's final side story had some
pretty strong romantic undertones.

EDIT: Actually, let me correct that. I don't even know if romance is "optional". The side stories are much more scripted than Persona's Social Links. I haven't come across an explicit option to pursue a romance with any character.

Vena

Isn't this game like Persona where all the romance with the other girls is purely optional so none of it is canon?

There's no optional romance. All of the side-stories with the girls
have strong romantic undertones
. Do the rest in your head.

Mupod

Oh geez I didn't pay attention to the recommended level for Kiria's stage level 10 sidequest. They were doing about triple my max hp per hit.

There's no optional romance. All of the side-stories with the girls
have strong romantic undertones
. Do the rest in your head.

I don't disagree that there's a
romantic undertone
to all of the female side stories; it just struck me as particularly noticeable in Eleonora's.

*shrug*

EDIT: I don't even know if this is worth spoiler tagging anymore. We're not exactly being subtle. Lol

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
#TMS#FE4SSB

....I wanted to work on Ch. 3 last night, but it turned out I did more grinding, the arena, & Kiria's final side-story. Ah well, least I'm at the first mid-boss for Ch. 3's dungeon.

Should probably try to buy a lot more buff/debuff stones & maybe more attack/magic mirrors.

Oh geez I didn't pay attention to the recommended level for Kiria's stage level 10 sidequest. They were doing about triple my max hp per hit.

Attack mirrors and just a bit of luck will get you through even if you are massively under-leveled. The reward is worth it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I was doing this last night, & everyone was around 31 or 32 (Itsuki was 34) on Normal. It's very luck based, but yes, get those mirrors, get some buffs/debuffs, & hope you're lucky.

It was a pain trying to remember which one was weak against which, especially when you can ONLY hurt them via status effect. But just glad I'm done with it, considering I have the awful mentality of wanting to try & do every quest in a RPG (unless it's post game stuff that just jumps in difficulty like Ni no Kuni).

Now I just need to get Eleonora to be able to perform sessions outside of the party.

Robin64

Holy shit, my second hard-lock with this game. Both have happened in about the same place in Chapter 6. Had been fine for the past 50 hours.

Need some advice on the Chapter 4 boss:

When he starts spamming 2 consecutive rounds of mass target magic spells I'm done for. I pop a magic mirror but that only covers the first round.

Any advice?

Mupod

Attack mirrors and just a bit of luck will get you through even if you are massively under-leveled. The reward is worth it.

Hard mode in general has made me pretty reliant on items but those were pricey enough to scare me off from stocking up on them. I'll definitely try that next. I did use a few on savage enemies and they saved my ass.

Man, I don't know how you guys handle savage fights on hard. If you don't have any SP you're fucked (even on Normal).

My latest trick has been Kiria's special performance that confuses all enemies. I keep her out of the battle and switch in to her with whoever comes up first. It's not foolproof but it gives you time to take out 1-2 problem enemies and/or cast sukukaja/sukunda.

Worst case scenario I smoke machine out.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The armor savage encounters are pretty fair imo even on hard.
Especially if you've learned the move for Itsuki that lets you do extra damage against armor mirages. Certainly seemed more useful than the skill that's extra effective against horseback mirages.

Mupod

Especially if you've learned the move for Itsuki that lets you do extra damage against armor mirages. Certainly seemed more useful than the skill that's extra effective against horseback mirages.

I actually have one that does both at the same time. It's only a light attack though.

Rainy

Banned
Weapon creation question

Has anyone made Kiria's Exodus weapon? Seems like a risky trade-off, she becomes weak to all physical attacks while she nulls or resists almost all magical ones. Is that worth it?

Been sitting on this game waiting for the uncensored patch to be finished, and also to complete Xenoblade Chronicles X.

This will probably be my last Wii U game so it'll be time to check out all the fun stuff.

Just finished the game. Came in around 65 hours. I did a majority of the extra stuff, like requests and the battle arena as well as all sidequests for characters.

Overall fun game with lots of that Atlus charm. Worth playing and definitely one the top 3 I've played on Wii U (which isn't saying much since there's less than 10 games worth owning the console for). A couple of the dungeons puzzle elements were a slog, just not fun. The only music that was good was the battle music and some of the areas but the j-pop idol music was just terrible.

Characters were fine for the most part except Ellie.
I didn't like Itsuki either though. He has absolutely no character depth and about as interesting as a rock. Plus his battle pose is just lazy and stupid looking. Super generic MC.

It has a solid formula, the game knows what it is and does it well. It's a cohesive jrpg. Unlike something like XCX which was fucking trash.

I'll definitely go back to %100 it eventually, but for now the Wii U goes back to dust collecting.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Remind me, what was the best way to grind for Macca Converters or whatever? Something about using attactor + slow enemies down on a certain floor of one of the idolaspheres? I heard it was in the 106 one around floor 5 or 6.

Finally got to the wedding dress. An unnecessary change for sure, but it actually looks pretty good in the music video. The in-game character model does look a bit awkward though.

Also,
GOT THE ITSUKI X TSUBASA DUO ART, FUCK YEAH. I was worried I'd miss it.

I just beat the chapter 3 boss and I'm kind of surprised how easy it was compared to the midboss. barely fought any enemies after beating the midboss and only had a party member die once in the boss fight. Mamori's armor is pretty cute though

-Horizon-

21 hours in, starting chapter 3
Impressions so far:
Still annoyed that in battle stuff and unity scenes aren't subbed in any way
Menu screen is still amazing. Kiria with that stare at Itsuki
I just like everyone in this game
Touma and his second side quest lmao persona 4.5
Mamori too pure for this world, that animation where she just shakes in place should be turned into a gif

How many side quests does everyone get?

That raccoon was actually me, Dio!

D:<

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Kiria's second sidequest was so unexpected, wow. Glad I forgot that I had been spoiled it with a promo vid or something last year.

BTA

Finally finished chapter 3, and I have some questions.

Should I be as intimidated by class changing as I am? Because I know I only get a limited number of these, and if I'm pointing a character in a certain direction without considering how the others are going to be affected by the dynamic it might screw up my party...

I was considering changing Chrom to be attack focused for my first seal? That seemed like a good idea, since right now Itsuki's still the only one with swords... but I'm afraid that, looking at all the other possible changes, the only character I'd actually feel like giving up attacks on to focus on healing is Mamori and I don't know if that's a good idea.

I got the game earlier this week and I beat Chapter 1 tonight! Took me 7 hours.

So far... urgh. I'm starting to get into the momentum of the game, but there's so much about the game that feels so mediocre and bland. Setting aside the MASSIVE baggage of this being what SMT x FE turned into (which is a herculean task in of itself)... there's just not much there that makes me think it's anything above mediocre.

I don't find the combat particularly tactical or thrilling at this stage (I never feel like the game's moment to moment battle choices are meaningful nor the Magatama lite system from Nocture), the story is super bland with no hook and no likable characters (and the protagonist is outright unlikable), the character and costume designs are really lousy, and the music is... well it's not good. Granted, it's better on its own terms than the rest of my problems with the game, but compared to the giants this game stands on, it's unforgivably half hearted. I don't like the tone of the game either and the pandering of the game feels so awkward and unearned.

The game is absolutely gorgeous, though... when it's standing still. Whenever anything moves, it looks awkward and uncanny, it's like they're all drenched in butter.

Anyway, the game infuriates me on my terms to the very core, but on its own terms? So far it's a passable way to kill hours blandly. The very stuff 5/10s are made of.

EDIT: I hope my post wasn't too "whiney" about it not being SMT x FE. I reread the OP rules to make sure and I think I talk about the game on its own merits and express my own baggage when it comes to playing the game. But then again the OP says to try to remain objective and I completely disagree that that is possible when discussing media, so what do I know

Top Bottom