• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

KarmaCow

Finally finished chapter 3, and I have some questions.

Should I be as intimidated by class changing as I am? Because I know I only get a limited number of these, and if I'm pointing a character in a certain direction without considering how the others are going to be affected by the dynamic it might screw up my party...

I was considering changing Chrom to be attack focused for my first seal? That seemed like a good idea, since right now Itsuki's still the only one with swords... but I'm afraid that, looking at all the other possible changes, the only character I'd actually feel like giving up attacks on to focus on healing is Mamori and I don't know if that's a good idea.

There are I think three exclusive Carnage forms for each class but it doesn't matter that much in my experience. The game isn't that demanding where you can screw yourself over. It might matter in Lunatic mode where min/maxing is more worthwhile but even on hard I haven't had much trouble not thinking too hard about long term skill progression.

How does unlocking side stories work? Can I only complete them in the intermission that I have unlocked? Some of these are supposed to be unlocked after the second chapter but the stage rank is much higher than I should probably be at this point.

L95

How does unlocking side stories work? Can I only complete them in the intermission that I have unlocked? Some of these are supposed to be unlocked after the second chapter but the stage rank is much higher than I should probably be at this point.

You can do side stories anytime after unlocked, just only one active at a time

Side stories are generally unlocked through main story progression and stage rank levels

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You can do side-stories whenever, but some of them will only unlock once you reach a specific chapter or intermission. & you can only do one character's side-story at a time, but you can take on multiple requests from NPCs.

KarmaCow

You can do them whenever, don't worry about it. You can't permanently miss them unless there is a point of no return at the end of the game I'm not aware of.

Mashing

Wow, I just destroyed the ch 3 boss. If anyone is curious how I did it:

Use Itsuki's Strike a Pose and Kiria's Pastel Power. Then Sukunda, Tarkunda, Tarukaja. Win. The boss got 1 skill off (his bodyguard skill). His minion were all stunned or confused. Took 3 sessions and the boss was dead.

Omnicent

Just finished some of Elenora's side-quests.
Itsuki makes Ippo appear not dense/slow and I'm not sure how that's possible.
The jewlery store (redux)... I know he was written this way, but come on.

BTA

There are I think three exclusive Carnage forms for each class but it doesn't matter that much in my experience. The game isn't that demanding where you can screw yourself over. It might matter in Lunatic mode where min/maxing is more worthwhile but even on hard I haven't had much trouble not thinking too hard about long term skill progression.

This really reassured me, so thank you! I'm only on normal difficulty and don't find RPGs that intuitive, but have had a wonderful time with this so far and have found it really easy to understand and learn how to do better. This was pretty daunting but hearing it's not as huge of an impact as it makes it much less worrying.

Finished the game a couple of hours ago. The game isn't for everyone, but it was definitely for me. Loved the cast the campy story, the gameplay, the music. The dungeons were really cool I thought, and the only problems I had were with chapter 5, but chapter 6 made up for it, and with Itsuki, but I even started to appreciate him deapite how dense he was.

Really sad it didn't sell that well, but it legitamately is my favorite game on the wii u and will be on my GotY list somewhere come the end of the year.

Just finished Chapter 4. Full party get

Didn't realize the Bane skills knock the rest of the resistances down too. Used Dual Dispatch on a Regal Knight, and was able to Session in a Lance attack that wasn't Null'd. A regular Sword attack like Fatal Sword would've had it's Session killed at the Lunge.

Chapter 4 boss spoilers:
Got a game over because I wasn't prepared for Excellus' final form change, and got stuck in a revive/healing cycle b/c I left Mamori in and she got Session'd to death. Should've tried Kiria's Pastel Power to see if that would work. Second time around I got through it easy enough

Got my first hard lock though, luckily I had just saved and needed a stopping point anyway

-Horizon-

You can't dislike this game.

Unless you're Barry.

WVW69jWKhcEfpfBNvY

Anyone happen to know where the second tier of rare mirages are?

There's a pretty good spot to farm them in Illusory Daiba Studio. Go to the part with the randomized rooms. Make sure the treasure room is on the left side. Inside the treasure room, there's a ladder. The second rare enemy (UFO dude) can appear on the platform at the top of the ladder. Use Riberama or Attracter Spray (Riberaon didn't work nearly as well in my experience) to increase the appearance rate.

There's a pretty good spot to farm them in Illusory Daiba Studio. Go to the part with the randomized rooms. Make sure the treasure room is on the left side. Inside the treasure room, there's a ladder. The second rare enemy (UFO dude) can appear on the platform at the top of the ladder. Use Riberama or Attracter Spray (Riberaon didn't work nearly as well in my experience) to increase the appearance rate.

Thank you!

I'll check this out shortly.

mclem

So... I'm sitting on my first (Post-Chapter-3 spoilers)
Master Seal

A few queries:

Are there any carnages I lose out on by moving away from the base class, or do the improved classes just introduce new carnages on top of those?

How careful do I need to be about making upgrade decisions? Does each class have carnages right up to endgame, so I can't realistically collect a full set for all in one playthrough?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So... I'm sitting on my first (Post-Chapter-3 spoilers)
Master Seal

A few queries:

Are there any carnages I lose out on by moving away from the base class, or do the improved classes just introduce new carnages on top of those?

How careful do I need to be about making upgrade decisions? Does each class have carnages right up to endgame, so I can't realistically collect a full set for all in one playthrough?
The latter

Yes, you'll collect them all only if you class change again for everyone.
Class changing only unlocks the Carnages, so you can still make the exclusive Carnages if you Class change away.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well holy crap, I just learned while bringing the game over, because of the age changes & removing references to gravure modeling, Nintendo had to bring back the original cast to re-record a whopping 340 lines in the game.

..........also, seems weird they changed one of the ages from 18 to 19, but I can only guess since they changed 16 to 17 & 17 to 18, they wanted to be consistent with certain characters being older or younger. Not like it really matters in the long run, just something I noticed.

Javier

Well holy crap, I just learned while bringing the game over, because of the age changes & removing references to gravure modeling, Nintendo had to bring back the original cast to re-record a whopping 340 lines in the game.

..........also, seems weird they changed one of the ages from 18 to 19, but I can only guess since they changed 16 to 17 & 17 to 18, they wanted to be consistent with certain characters being older or younger. Not like it really matters in the long run, just something I noticed.
Well, the game released in Japan in 2015, but in 2016 in the west, so at least it's consistent.

Kaname

So, Maiko second side-quest.
Considering that it's censored and she was a gravure model in the jap release, does she basically gift you some fapping material for helping her out? LOL
Shame there's no romance option or I'd totally go for her ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I'm lv16 at the beginning of ch2. There's one side quest from
Aya
that involves a boss fight in the first Idolasphere. The dudes are lv23ish and ohko me on hard. Am I supposed to just come back later?

Kaname

Aya
that involves a boss fight in the first Idolasphere. The dudes are lv23ish and ohko me on hard. Am I supposed to just come back later?

You can do the side quests whenever you like so I'd say get some more levels and try again later.

Aya

You can tackle those quests at your leisure; they don't expire. If you're underleveled, just come back and fight them when you're more prepared.

mclem

The latter

Yes, you'll collect them all only if you class change again for everyone.
Class changing only unlocks the Carnages, so you can still make the exclusive Carnages if you Class change away.

Oooh, now that last bit's interesting.

So ideally, I'll want to change to my less-preferred class first (and ASAP), then the one I'm targetting endgame for? Assuming, that is, I can acquire enough Seals.

Are we looking at just two upgrades, or will others become available (either through a tree system, or with further unlocks)?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
You can do the side quests whenever you like so I'd say get some more levels and try again later.

You can tackle those quests at your leisure; they don't expire. If you're underleveled, just come back and fight them when you're more prepared.
Yeah, someone mentioned that on the last page. I'm more curious about the expectations of the game. Am I expected to be able to overcome this now and I've failed to meet that bar or am I expected to actually just sit on it?

Yeah, someone mentioned that on the last page. I'm more curious about the expectations of the game. Am I expected to be able to overcome this now and I've failed to meet that bar or am I expected to actually just sit on it?

I wouldn't say you failed to meet any sort of bar. Sometimes the game just gives you quests that you can't realistically take on at your current level. You'll eventually start to see this with the side stories, too. As long as you're able to get through the story without feeling underpowered, I wouldn't think too much of it.

You can get more from completing requests.

I guess I'm just having trouble finding requests that actually award treasure keys. They were plentiful enough near the beginning of the game, but they've begun to dry up. The most recent quest I did for Ayaha didn't give me any, and same goes for the last three I did for the Heeho Mart girl. Can you only get them from the random requests from people around Shibuya, Harajuku, etc.?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I wouldn't say you failed to meet thany sort bar. Sometimes the game just gives you quests that you can't realistically take on at your current level. You'll eventually start to see this with the side stories, too. If you're able to get through the story without feeling underpowered, I wouldn't think too much of it.
Gotcha, thanks!

Rappy

Coming across all these sealed chests when I don't have any treasure keys makes me want to self-harm.
There's an arena quest after you scout the pink ghost in Harujuku to the arena to get the lock touch skill. You need to trade him detritus 11-12 times to unlock the quest.

killroy87

So if I were to play this game and come away thinking "yo, J-Pop seems pretty dope, but I know absolutely nothing about it", where would be some good resources for me to find my footing and start hearing some key tracks?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Deciding whether or not I want the cure confusion + sleep skill. I skipped the poison cure because there's a consumable that does that. Is there an item for confusion and sleep? If so, I don't think it was available in the mart yet.

Secondly, can status ailments stack?

Thirdly, will I ever be able to session skills that are body type or that other non-elemental type?

Kaname

Wow what the fuck were they thinking when they censored Tsubasa's last side quest costume? :O
She looks like a marble statue now. Way to ruin an incredibly nice and detailed dress,,,

Deciding whether or not I want the cure confusion + sleep skill. I skipped the poison cure because there's a consumable that does that. Is there an item for confusion and sleep? If so, I don't think it was available in the mart yet.

Secondly, can status ailments stack?

Thirdly, will I ever be able to session skills that are body type or that other non-elemental type?

Maybe not an item for those ailments specifically, but there's an item that heals any ailment and you can carry a lot of them, so you can probably live without the ailment curing skills.

IIRC ailments don't stack, the last ailment you get hit by is the one you're stuck with.

Not sure what you mean by body type, but there are no session skills for the last 2 elements in the list as far as I know, they seem to mostly be used for ailment resistances(except flux/specific items I guess)

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Maybe not an item for those ailments specifically, but there's an item that heals any ailment and you can carry a lot of them, so you can probably live without the ailment curing skills.

IIRC ailments don't stack, the last ailment you get hit by is the one you're stuck with.

Not sure what you mean by body type, but there are no session skills for the last 2 elements in the list as far as I know, they seem to mostly be used for ailment resistances(except flux/specific items I guess)
Ok, I guess I'll pass on that skill then.

Body type (I think that's what they called it...) is the "element" that Flux is. Thanks!

Top Bottom