• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
So if I were to play this game and come away thinking "yo, J-Pop seems pretty dope, but I know absolutely nothing about it", where would be some good resources for me to find my footing and start hearing some key tracks?
Listen to Eir Aoi, Elisa, Lisa, Maon Kurosaki, and Kokia. All great singers. You can find songs all over Youtube.

The framerate on this chapter 5 boss fight holy SHIT

Wow, that sketchy, sort of weird-looking guy who the cat kept inexplicably encountering in and around idolaspheres turned out to be the bad guy? Fuckin' shocker.

I just got the full team and everyone is lvl 40. I've have been loving this game. I have been craving a console jrpg recently and this is hitting the spot.

The theme is kinda charming too. I was expecting to play just for the battles, but I'm liking the game as whole.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Just finished at 44hrs and change. Such a great game. Definitely was what I needed to tide me over until P5 comes out.

Aside from money and levels, what carries over to NG+?

OrochiJR

So if I were to play this game and come away thinking "yo, J-Pop seems pretty dope, but I know absolutely nothing about it", where would be some good resources for me to find my footing and start hearing some key tracks?

When I used to listen to lots of J-pop the more popular ones where Ayumi Hamasaki, Hikaru Utada, Koda Kumi, BoA and Namie Amuro. But that was ~8 or 10 or so years ago. Sadly, I'm not familiar with the current top acts.

Shin-chan

Just beat the Chapter 3 boss on hard with my first attempt. I'm not sure I agree with the balancing of the game. I don't know what it's like on normal, but on hard it feels like everything is basically a glass cannon. You either steamroll the enemy or they hit you with a session and one shot a character which makes it very difficult to get them back alive long enough to swap them out for someone who isn't vulnerable.

The challenge isn't really sustained because it's either easy and you can one shot enemies with massive sessions, or you're on the back foot struggling to get back to the status quo. There's very rarely a middle ground.

Obviously this has just been my experience so it would be interesting to see if others have had the same issue.

Edit: it wouldn't work as well for the standard encounters but I wish the bosses relied less on multiple enemy mobs which respawn (the worst fucking design ever, by the way) and give them more phases and HP - you know, kind of like bosses in most other Atlus games.

L95

Just beat the Chapter 3 boss on hard with my first attempt. I'm not sure I agree with the balancing of the game. I don't know what it's like on normal, but on hard it feels like everything is basically a glass cannon. You either steamroll the enemy or they hit you with a session and one shot a character which makes it very difficult to get them back alive long enough to swap them out for someone who isn't vulnerable.

The challenge isn't really sustained because it's either easy and you can one shot enemies with massive sessions, or you're on the back foot struggling to get back to the status quo. There's very rarely a middle ground.

Obviously this has just been my experience so it would be interesting to see if others have had the same issue.

I think I've noticed the same thing, after losing the first time and knowing what to expect, I steamroll them

Brakke

Banned
Man this game goes dark sometimes. Clearly-mentally-handicapped Tsubasa takes "how to be sexy" lessons from a damn cat so that some beverage conglomerate can more efficiently exploit her hot bod to move units.

Itsuki and Fortuna are pulling the strings on some Monarch Mind Control shit. Poor girl.

lt519

I'm in intermission after 5 right now, seemingly couldn't be more than one chapter left based on the story.

That boss fight near then end of 5 with the 4x boss...obamasweating.jpg

Five chapters would have been a good length. I just saw all the 6-star prestiges and got a little feeling of dread knowing I have a big chunk left.

Makonero

I think I've noticed the same thing, after losing the first time and knowing what to expect, I steamroll them

But that's a good difficulty level. I don't like bullet sponge bosses, like in Persona. Give me a boss that is difficult the first two times until I figure it out and then perfectly reasonable the third time.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Atlus really poured their heart, soul, and that sweet, sweet Nintendo budget into this game, wow. I'm just before the Chapter 3 boss and am loving this. My biggest complaints is that you cannot perform unity anywhere, or at least that you have to return to the Fortuna office before you can proceed to Tiki's realm, an extra load screen which is unnecessary, even if the vending machine is handy most of the time.

One of the best things about Nintendo is their third-party collaborations, and it shows here.

dark_haze

Neo Member

Uptempo-Pop wise, Namie Amuro & Kumi Koda are pretty good after all these years. Yoshino Nanjo from this game and Love Live has some good stuff too. Maybe some stuff from Macross Frontier?

Singer-Songwriter wise, Hikaru Utada definitely. Very beautiful songs and her english album Exodus is a bit dated, but still brilliant.

I don't know the new stars on top of the charts, but those are my key singers ^^

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So far I'm not a big fan of it. I hated chapter 4's dungeon with a passion and now I have to do an even more annoying version with savage enemies roaming everywhere.

It's infuriating.
I actually appreciated it a ton more because it was actually so simple to figure out.
Savage enemies piss me off too. How do you avoid them? Run around until they are gone?
Near endgame, you'll get something that avoids them.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
omg, I got to witness my first duo attack.....granted, the first mid-boss for Ch. 3 would already have been defeated, but still awesome to witness, and then see my session STILL continued.

BTA

Started chapter 4's dungeon; the gimmick wasn't too hard to figure out but I'm definitely underleveled for this first story fight in it (which feels kinda bizarre given how quickly you get to it?) and that's gonna be a pain to deal with.

There are only
chapters right? I thought there were more for some reason, but that's a good length. I'm currently trying to rush through to the end in these next couple days, since after the 8th I won't have access to my Wii U for about 3 months. Hopefully that's doable...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So is there any point in me making weapons that're technically "weaker" aside from learning new skills? Think I've got a decent amount of Skill Books (like, 19 of them) to make learning skills from those weapons a lot easier & faster.

Edit: & how much longer until Ellie can perform sessions while being in the sub-cast? She's Stage Rank 5 right now.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
oh god, this part in ch. 3 where you have a time limit. Where the hell are the guys who I gotta give the items to, I found one early on but then seems like I can't find any more...

Edit: Nevermind, I seemed to have cleared it. Even found a rare enemy on the way.

Edit 2: Hahaha, WOW, the boss was super easy on the grounds I got the Tsubasa/Kiria Duo Attack TWICE & it only took me 2 turns + one turn of reviving a party member, then Itsuki landing the final session.

Thud

The annoying part in chapter 4 are the
lcd panels
. Got a play record just for wasting so much time there lol. Granted I wasn't that sharp anymore after a long night session.

I liked chapter 5 a lot more. Regular or savage enemies are no match to me, mass destruction is fitting name. Puzzles were simple enough. Only had trouble with chapter 5 boss.
Dark Yasuhiro that is, not wyvern fodder. Let Yasuhiro counter all the time.

The story yeah... they went for it. I'm just rolling with it at this point. Saved all the third sidequests for now and do you unlock
Yasuhiro's
later?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hmmm, just got Class Change & trying to decide who I should switch first. Here's what I was thinking of for everyone:

Chrom: Great Lord
Caeda: Falcon Knight
Cain: I guess Paladin?
Tharja: maybe Sorcerer?
Virion: Assassin
Draug: General

I like having a balanced party, & if I can, a balanced character as well. I just don't want to choose a class to find out "oh crap, I should've gone with this other class, just wasted a Master Seal"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Got Tsubasa's final side-quest, but it recommends level 47 & everyone's around 33 to 35. Guess I'll go do Barry's first side-story.

Feels weird that the game keeps giving me side-quests that recommends me to be about 10 levels higher.

*does Barry's side story*.....oh Barry, you're just.....you're so....silly.....

NeonZ

Just finished some of Elenora's side-quests.
Itsuki makes Ippo appear not dense/slow and I'm not sure how that's possible.
The jewlery store (redux)... I know he was written this way, but come on.

If you're talking about the
date training quest, there was an "I get it" option right alongside the oblivious one. Things can't just go anywhere since there isn't an actual dating system in this game.

1337Sauce

In the middle of the Chapter One dungeon right now. Is leaving and eating at the cafe the best way to completely restore my party to 100%?

Also, exploring the dungeon completely only brought my party to about level nine, while the boss of this dungeon is about thirteen. Is there a lot of grinding required usually, or did I just completely mess up my first attempt at the fight? It's not that I have a problem with grinding (I actually rather enjoy it), but four levels seems like a pretty big gap right off the bat in the first chapter. Right now I'm assuming that I just need to grind this out.

Frimaire

In the middle of the Chapter One dungeon right now. Is leaving and eating at the cafe the best way to completely restore my party to 100%?

Also, exploring the dungeon completely only brought my party to about level nine, while the boss of this dungeon is about thirteen. Is there a lot of grinding required usually, or did I just completely mess up my first attempt at the fight? It's not that I have a problem with grinding (I actually rather enjoy it), but four levels seems like a pretty big gap right off the bat in the first chapter. Right now I'm assuming that I just need to grind this out.

You can also heal your party by getting drinks at any vending machine.
I'm not so sure about grinding 'cause I just kinda automatically do it a bit, but I think a few other people in this thread have said it's not all that necessary.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*tries to fight boss from Tsubasa's final side-story*

Noooppeee, gonna wait until I'm much more leveled up. Might go finally use the EXP dungeon to grind.

lt519

Trying the final boss at level 55, not going so well. Basically stopped doing side stories after the second chapter too. Woefully underpowered, but everything leading up to this I was able to beat in 1 or 2 tries using good strategy. This is just a straight up damage check. Fight will take an hour at this rate if I can even survive.

Game has been a joy, last chapter dragged on a bit, but I've loved the boss fights and the combat.

Top Bottom