• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

how do you even played back in the day when everything was text?

are you young?

I played back then but I also had a lot more time on my hands than I do now. Let's be real, 27 + Fiance + Dogs = 15 hours a week at max to really game sometimes half or none at all. I really wanna play but I don't wanna read text or worry about missing story elements because the subs went by too fast. I know the advantages to subs vs dubs but I don't want to waste what precious time I have to game being frustrated.

-Horizon-

Holy crap chapter 3 boss was a jerk to fight. Actually had to look up some tips.
I never thought to use Kiria and her lullaby, I always tried to take down the mob enemies but that just made things more difficult. Kiria took care of things for me

Also Ellie has an awesome first side quest.
Cute as heck.

Ashtrax

Just a small question. I got my Fortissimo Edition the other day, but accidentally scratched the provided DLC code shield too deep.

Does that DLC bundle have anything exclusive that isn't included via the eshop?

Just getting all the information before I contact Nintendo support in hope I can get a replacement code.

-Horizon-

Just a small question. I got my Fortissimo Edition the other day, but accidentally scratched the provided DLC code shield too deep.

Does that DLC bundle have anything exclusive that isn't included via the eshop?

Just getting all the information before I contact Nintendo support in hope I can get a replacement code.
I think the ones given in the special edition are all buyable on the eshop.

If I change classes without making all of the Class's Unities first, do I still have access to them?

i.e. Can I make Chrom's Great Lord Carnages that I can't make right now as a Conqueror later?
or to make the question simpler, do I have to be the class that unlocks the Carnages to make them the first time?

Frimaire

(Slight Chapter 5 spoilers)
I'm in the "backtracking" area of the Daiba studio dungeon in the group of rooms after the second monitor room.
I'm trying to explore the whole map, but there seems to be a part I can't get up to with two drop-down points.
Does anybody know how to get up there?

Draxal

(Slight Chapter 5 spoilers)
I'm in the "backtracking" area of the Daiba studio dungeon in the group of rooms after the second monitor room.
I'm trying to explore the whole map, but there seems to be a part I can't get up to with two drop-down points.
Does anybody know how to get up there?

C5 spoilers.

There's a quest afterwards in the room that shows the number to all the rooms that unlocks those areas. I forget exactly when the quest shows up[maybe the interlude after chapter 5?]

Frimaire

C5 spoilers.

There's a quest afterwards in the room that shows the number to all the rooms that unlocks those areas. I forget exactly when the quest shows up[maybe the interlude after chapter 5?]

Thanks.

Edit: Yooo! full member now. I guess this thread has really helped up my post count...

aBarreras

I played back then but I also had a lot more time on my hands than I do now. Let's be real, 27 + Fiance + Dogs = 15 hours a week at max to really game sometimes half or none at all. I really wanna play but I don't wanna read text or worry about missing story elements because the subs went by too fast. I know the advantages to subs vs dubs but I don't want to waste what precious time I have to game being frustrated.

well in this case, it is preferible the subs, because you can actually read and advance at your own pace, if you already read it, just skip the dialogue, having to listen EVERYTHING the characters say will take even more time, because they talk a fucking lot

You can manually advance all dialogue. You won't miss a thing.

around 15h...
Love the battle system, perfect fuse of SMT and FE.
But... that gravure model chapter is a absolute cringe feast. Did they actually talk about the "art" of gravure modeling and compare it to singing performances? I... Just can't... I tolerated all the "idol power" silliness but that is it. And I say this as someone who enjoyed a good amount of JRPG silliness.

///
Rant over, time to skip the stupid dialog and keep playing...

Floflo

Neo Member
But... that gravure model chapter is a absolute cringe feast. Did they actually talk about the "art" of gravure modeling and compare it to singing performances? I... Just can't... I tolerated all the "idol power" silliness but that is it.
If you didn't want to see all this stuff about gravure modeling, you shouldn't have started playing with the "uncensored" patch! ;-D

Anyway, I think some pieces of "sexy" photography can be quite artistic, but gravure modeling as seen in Japan is not really the best example.

Rappy

But... that gravure model chapter is a absolute cringe feast. Did they actually talk about the "art" of gravure modeling and compare it to singing performances? I... Just can't... I tolerated all the "idol power" silliness but that is it. And I say this as someone who enjoyed a good amount of JRPG silliness.

///
Rant over, time to skip the stupid dialog and keep playing...
If that's your breaking point for cringe in a game about J-pop idols, masked rider heroes, J-drama actors, and cooking shows hosted by an 11 year old then I feel like the word cringe has lost all meaning on the internet (well, you should have at least encountered the first 2 at this point). I personally don't find it significantly worse or "cringey" compared to what they had already shown and will show in the game. And I don't think you were paying much attention to the dialogue in the first place if you thought they were directly comparing it to singing.

SPCTRE

Finally got to play the prologue, first hour or so in. Couple of random thoughts:

- the LINE equivalent texting stuff is a decent use of the Wii U gamepad
- combat seems fun (I don't have any experience with FE games, just Persona/SMT)
- really digging the art direction and character designs so far
- ramping up of complexity/gameplay systems seems to happen at a decent pace (for a relatively green player like myself)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Holy crap chapter 3 boss was a jerk to fight. Actually had to look up some tips.
I never thought to use Kiria and her lullaby, I always tried to take down the mob enemies but that just made things more difficult. Kiria took care of things for me
I'd need to relook through this thread again, but I feel like I was the only one who has absolutely no trouble with Ch. 3's boss, but then again, I got SUPER lucky & got the Give Me duo attack TWICE in that battle, and everyone was around 33-ish.

...but I'm also playing on Normal as well, so maybe he's more annoying on Hard.

Rainy

Banned
Chapter 4 thoughts:

- Man I knew they wouldn't but I was hoping for that Tsubasa/Itsuki kiss!
- The boss wasn't too bad, I didn't know you only had to defeat the big guy and not Tsurugi, made it a lot easier :)
- Getting 5 or 6 hit sessions now is pretty satisfying
Anyway I'm going on a 2 week vacation to Europe on Wednesday and won't be able to play a while :( oh well!

Sadist

In chapter 4 now... how do multiple sessions work and what triggers them? I can go up to three now (Tsubasa is benched, but she joins in anyway), but how do you get more?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
In chapter 4 now... how do multiple sessions work and what triggers them? I can go up to three now (Tsubasa is benched, but she joins in anyway), but how do you get more?
More carnages give more session skills. Subbed sessions are from stage ranks.

If you didn't want to see all this stuff about gravure modeling, you shouldn't have started playing with the "uncensored" patch! ;-D

Anyway, I think some pieces of "sexy" photography can be quite artistic, but gravure modeling as seen in Japan is not really the best example.

I have nothing against sexy photography, but comparing it to singing really is insulting to singing, the difference of amount of effort going into these two are just nights and days. And as you said, gravure modeling is like one the worst example to claim as an art form... If they really want to go into that direction they should have chosen fashion photography instead.

The only reason I went through the pain of ripping and patching the game is only because I want to see the so call "artists vision", turns out it is lotanothing.
If that's your breaking point for cringe in a game about J-pop idols, masked rider heroes, J-drama actors, and cooking shows hosted by an 11 year old then I feel like the word cringe has lost all meaning on the internet (well, you should have at least encountered the first 2 at this point). I personally don't find it significantly worse or "cringey" compared to what they had already shown and will show in the game. And I don't think you were paying much attention to the dialogue in the first place if you thought they were directly comparing it to singing.

First, I watch JP cooking shows pretty often since I am fan of cooking and Japanese food. They exaggerate, but are no way this ridiculous.

Second, claiming gravure modeling is the same as singing performance because they both require the idol to "captivate the audience" is like claiming earth is identical to moon because they are both spheres. Those things are not comparable, period.

Thud

Linking session skills together. Unlock the radiant skill open audition asp to get more sessions in.

Soul Lab

question chapter 3

doing some requests at the moment. for a mirage i have to hunt down some monsters. a "buttery-voiced inferno" is still left. halp pls

You control the pace of the text....besides, most people can read faster than japanese dubs anyway.

Omnicent

If you're talking about the
date training quest, there was an "I get it" option right alongside the oblivious one. Things can't just go anywhere since there isn't an actual dating system in this game.

I'm talking about the one where they go back to all the dating spots (It is i belive her last side quest)
Trying to confirm her feelings before planning to go to Hollywood with the director for the movie.

Mupod

Jumped into intermediate arena at around level 37-39 (hard). Made it through one run but that was kinda rough.

My reliance on items and character switching is definitely hurting me there. I feel like you'd need to build a party of 3 with buffs and healing specifically for that mode. I started dropping rakukaja, tarukaja etc from my characters because outside of arena I can substitute items for those.

lt519

Did a lot more of the Side Quests last night, down to just Ellie's now. Netted me about 2 more levels on Itsuki (Now 59) but I'm still woefully under-leveled with everyone else for the Final Boss. I have Yashiro and Tsubasa at level 55 but nobody else is above 50. I might be able to pull it off in a long fight with those 3 but a bit disappointed at how much of a level/gear check the final boss is. Seems unnecessary. I prefer Final Boss design where if you got to the boss you should be able to beat it instead of now having to go back and grind for one last fight just because he can do an Almighty that wipes my entire party. No other boss in the game took me more than one try up to this point, and I've played most of the game under-leveled. All my new party members always joined at higher levels.

I guess it's my fault I ignored all random encounters in the final two idolaspheres (random encounters were starting to take too long). But I was still beating the bosses so figured I was fine.

Whizkid7

Chapter 4 boss is giving me hella trouble. I can get him halfway and then he starts double AOEing my party and I can't keep up. And even before that half his attacks are one-shotting people! Not even buffs are keeping me up enough. Ugh, I think I'll just switch back to Normal at this point. I can't keep frustrating myself like this.

mclem

abuse the fuck out of Sukukaja

I'll say that in my experience so far (halfway through Chapter 4, playing on hard), I'm finding using a turn to get rid of some of the adds to be more useful overall than spending it on a buff. Thinning the enemies' numbers to reduce both the number of attacks and the number of potential sessions works better for me, at least so far.

Chapter 4 boss is giving me hella trouble. I can get him halfway and then he starts double AOEing my party and I can't keep up. And even before that half his attacks are one-shotting people! Not even buffs are keeping me up enough. Ugh, I think I'll just switch back to Normal at this point. I can't keep frustrating myself like this.

You might have to debuff him too, and buffing Evade helps. Mamori's healing SP skills are clutch in that phase too.

What level are you?

Whizkid7

You might have to debuff him too, and buffing Evade helps. Mamori's healing SP skills are clutch in that phase too.

What level are you?

Everybody's between 38-39. I always try to keep the hit/evade buff up on myself and drop his offense when I can; I can wipe the hit/evade buff on him. His damage potential just seems ridiculous.

vareon

Yeah after some progression through the story you get the ability to re-learn Carnages and create Carnages + 1.

Nice, thanks. Juggling these skills drove me crazy lol. I'm wondering should I go to a carnage with lower atk and a few undesirable skill just for completion.

Mupod

I'll say that in my experience so far (halfway through Chapter 4, playing on hard), I'm finding using a turn to get rid of some of the adds to be more useful overall than spending it on a buff. Thinning the enemies' numbers to reduce both the number of attacks and the number of potential sessions works better for me, at least so far.

I'm coming up on the end of chapter 4 on hard myself and I definitely agree that adds need to go down ASAP. Session attacks from enemies are the biggest threat.

My answer has been crowd control if possible, I often can't burn them down fast enough. But the only reliable CC is Kiria's SP ability. That combined with attack/magic mirrors has allowed me to beat some really tough enemies.

If you skip a skill, can you learn it again later?

Yeah, once a weapon is mastered you later get the ability to upgrade it and get the chance to re-learn its abilities.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Nice, thanks. Juggling these skills drove me crazy lol. I'm wondering should I go to a carnage with lower atk and a few undesirable skill just for completion.
Well, you'll only know the extra skill each carnage gets from +1 if you max it. :3

lt519

Just a reminder to buy all the highest level accessories you can and for this fight equip weapons that have the most elemental resistances. Mamori's weapon that drains ice can come up huge. Tsubasa's Debut Smile every three rounds is a must (I actually think I had her in there the whole time). Then just swap people in/out according to their affinities. The boss changes affinities for a 1/2 turn and then uses that affinity for the other 1/2. You should be able to survive that and then juggle around your characters. Cheese method is to just use Magic Mirrors, but not necessary, I didn't use any.

I skipped a few here and there unless there was a unique passive ability I really wanted. Most stuff early on gets an upgrade later anyway. Once I started getting carnages with Heavy Attacks I completed most of them.

If I change classes without making all of the Class's Unities first, do I still have access to them?

i.e. Can I make Chrom's Great Lord Carnages that I can't make right now as a Conqueror later?
or to make the question simpler, do I have to be the class that unlocks the Carnages to make them the first time?

^ anyone know the answer to this? There's conflicting stuff when I'm googling.

Everybody's between 38-39. I always try to keep the hit/evade buff up on myself and drop his offense when I can; I can wipe the hit/evade buff on him. His damage potential just seems ridiculous.

Hmm, Defense too?

Maybe you can relieve yourself with a Magic Mirror for a turn? I don't remember if he has a full pattern with his element spells or not, but maybe you can use the Resists on your characters as well?

Whizkid7

Just a reminder to buy all the highest level accessories you can and for this fight equip weapons that have the most elemental resistances. Mamori's weapon that drains ice can come up huge. Tsubasa's Debut Smile every three rounds is a must (I actually think I had her in there the whole time). Then just swap people in/out according to their affinities. The boss changes affinities for a 1/2 turn and then uses that affinity for the other 1/2. You should be able to survive that and then juggle around your characters. Cheese method is to just use Magic Mirrors, but not necessary, I didn't use any.

Hm, accessories, good point, I haven't looked at those for everyone since last chapter. I have been trying to adjust which weapons they all have equipped to give them as much neutral/resistance as possible but not everyone has weapons capable of that yet. Should probably double check that too.

lt519

Hm, accessories, good point, I haven't looked at those for everyone since last chapter. I have been trying to adjust which weapons they all have equipped to give them as much neutral/resistance as possible but not everyone has weapons capable of that yet. Should probably double check that too.

Yeah I don't know how Armor plays into the stats. But every chapter you can essentially get +10 armor for all your characters and some stat boosts. With Armor in the 30s early on a +10 is a 33% increase in Armor. And even if you find something that gives you +2 DEF (I did Metal Braces early on and then the Wind Amulet thing) and everyone is at 30s/40s defensively that's a good 5% increase. It can all stack up to make the difference in surviving a blow vs not surviving. I think in Chapter 4 the character specific accessories start to show up which make your characters significantly more powerful in their respective areas.

Internet seems to think Armor is a base stat and then RES and DEF are added to that for their respective attacks. Would explain why it makes such a big difference early on when the numbers are lower and the Armor increase is significant.

vareon

Chapter 3 is where the game really opened up, eh? Suddenly all these Unities are available and you actually have to collect resources so you have to prioritize. You need to choose your skills, too, not to mention you have five characters now. Need to be careful with the midboss.

Ummmmm slay at Lady Gaga's impacT in this game!

One of the side quests is titled "Poker Face"

Queen Gaga and ha inpacT in JPOP games

oprah-o.gif

Rappy

I have nothing against sexy photography, but comparing it to singing really is insulting to singing, the difference of amount of effort going into these two are just nights and days. And as you said, gravure modeling is like one the worst example to claim as an art form... If they really want to go into that direction they should have chosen fashion photography instead.

The only reason I went through the pain of ripping and patching the game is only because I want to see the so call "artists vision", turns out it is lotanothing.

First, I watch JP cooking shows pretty often since I am fan of cooking and Japanese food. They exaggerate, but are no way this ridiculous.

Second, claiming gravure modeling is the same as singing performance because they both require the idol to "captivate the audience" is like claiming earth is identical to moon because they are both spheres. Those things are not comparable, period.
Again, they never directly compared it to singing. That's like saying just because Touma also got a performa for his masked rider acting, that they're also comparing that to singing. You're not paying attention to the dialogue or you are missing the point of that chapter. There's artistic vision in about all forms of professional photography and just because the game used one of the more sexualized examples does not make it cringe (or it does since everyone seems to cringe at anything and everything these days). The whole point of the chapter was the difference between being a pro versus an amateur which is also why they included a Yashiro concert straight in the middle of things.

But if you're so upset about the inclusion of gravure modeling, remove the patch this instant. They change it to fashion modeling and things in that chapter are also referenced in the future. Although I still don't see how street clothes or any other fashion modeling is any less cringe with what I've seen on walkways.

No, you don't have to be the class to make them. So ideally if you want all carnages in a playthrough and want to end up as a certain class for all your characters as soon as possible, you should choose the class you don't want to use first.

Top Bottom