• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

Mr Rivuz

Played just a few hours, and i'm still in my first true dungeon after the prologue one. On hard it's doable for the most part but when i get into a savage encounters they literally oneshot all my characters... Should i just avoid them or switch down to normal?

Kaname

Played just a few hours, and i'm still in my first true dungeon after the prologue one. On hard it's doable for the most part but when i get into a savage encounters they literally oneshot all my characters... Should i just avoid them or switch down to normal?

Just avoid them, apart from those the difficulty is pretty enjoyable.

Whizkid7

Ok, it would be nice if there is some skill that gives me a 100% success rate for the escape command...

There's an item you can buy later that will guarantee escape - Smoke Machines. There's a skill that does the same thing, but Smoke Machines are easy to get and unlimited.

Mr Rivuz

There's an item you can buy later that will guarantee escape - Smoke Machines. There's a skill that does the same thing, but Smoke Machines are easy to get and unlimited.
Cool. Last time i got into a savage encounter i tried to escape three times and always failed, then i died... Good thing they let you save anywhere.

Soul Lab

oh boy. this game is fucking amazing!
in chapter
atm. it keeps getting better. One of the best jrpgs I've played in recent years. aaaaaaaah

I'm 6 chapters/60 hours in all played on hard and it's been one of the better gameplay experiences I've had with an RPG in terms of difficulty. Even the savage enemies become doable later in the game once you get better abilities and strategy.

I'm not looking forward to Lunatic difficulty though, Atlus does not have any chill in that regard.

BTA

So with how cheap it is to buy Amrita Sodas and Energy Drinks, is it even worth having Dia or one of the single target ailment cure skills? I'm not missing something in thinking those are effectively worthless, right?

So with how cheap it is to buy Amrita Sodas and Energy Drinks, is it even worth having Dia or one of the single target ailment cure skills? I'm not missing something in thinking those are effectively worthless, right?

maybe not for Dia. By the end, I needed Diarama and Diarahan, since I could never find a place to buy items above life stones, so medium and full heals are effectively limited.

No, you don't have to be the class to make them. So ideally if you want all carnages in a playthrough and want to end up as a certain class for all your characters as soon as possible, you should choose the class you don't want to use first.

I'm more asking about the first time.

Like for example, I've only made one of the Great Lord Carnages for Chrom so far. If I switch to Conqueror, can I still make the other two?

BTA

maybe not for Dia. By the end, I needed Diarama and Diarahan, since I could never find a place to buy items above life stones, so medium and full heals are effectively limited.

Can't you just buy Energy Drinks on the right side of Hee Ho Mart? I mean, I imagine nesr the end you'll be needing healing enough that the 20 item cap will make you need the skills, but here in chapter 4 I'm wondering if having Diarama on Itsuki is even worth it, I guess.

Can't you just buy Energy Drinks on the right side of Hee Ho Mart? I mean, I imagine nesr the end you'll be needing healing enough that the 20 item cap will make you need the skills, but here in chapter 4 I'm wondering if having Diarama on Itsuki is even worth it, I guess.

....I never saw that. That's an item that you can take and it heals a lot? I only found life stones at the sales clerk(maybe I just wasn't looking enough).... You may need it if you wanted to do straightshots in the dungeon still, but regardless, I wouldn't keep diarama on Itsuki. Bane skills took up most of his slots in my game and were very useful for endgame stuff.

Thud

Like for example, I've only made one of the Great Lord Carnages for Chrom so far. If I switch to Conqueror, can I still make the other two?

The wapens are unlocked when you change classes.

To make the weapons you need the right performa of course.

KarmaCow

I think I'm done. I had the game hard lock on me after going through side quests for abilities which soured me on the game and gave me sometime to get some distance from it. I tried going back, just skipping the more menial of the sidequests and jumping into chapter 5 but it's just boring now. At this point, not even savage enemies are much of a threat but battles take forever since every move ends up being at least a 6 long session chain. I'm still somewhat tempted to keep playing just because the boss fights felt worthwhile up to this point but the game has become very tedious and bloated, on top of the hard locking forcing me to replay the tedious sidequests if I want the actual worthwhile abilities.

I think I'm done. I had the game hard lock on me after going through side quests for abilities which soured me on the game and gave me sometime to get some distance from it. I tried going back, just skipping the more menial of the sidequests and jumping into chapter 5 but it's just boring now. At this point, not even savage enemies are much of a threat but battles take forever since every move ends up being at least a 6 long session chain. I'm still somewhat tempted to keep playing just because the boss fights felt worthwhile up to this point but the game has become very tedious and bloated, on top of the hard locking forcing me to replay the tedious sidequests if I want the actual worthwhile abilities.

I can tell you that chapter 5 is the worst of the chapters with chapter 6 being the best imo. What difficulty are you playing on as well? On hard savage enemies were still able to wreck me until end game if I wasn't careful.

Thud

I can tell you that chapter 5 is the worst of the chapters with chapter 6 being the best imo. What difficulty are you playing on as well? On hard savage enemies were still able to wreck me until end game if I wasn't careful.

Mass Destruction feels so cheap. First time I used it, I thought this skill is shit. Used it on a flying savage to get a session in. Destroyed them in that session.

If I don't use Mass Destruction I have to work for it a bit more. Not that threatening like in the early game, but still something that could potentially kill me.

Again, they never directly compared it to singing. That's like saying just because Touma also got a performa for his masked rider acting, that they're also comparing that to singing. You're not paying attention to the dialogue or you are missing the point of that chapter. There's artistic vision in about all forms of professional photography and just because the game used one of the more sexualized examples does not make it cringe (or it does since everyone seems to cringe at anything and everything these days). The whole point of the chapter was the difference between being a pro versus an amateur which is also why they included a Yashiro concert straight in the middle of things.

But if you're so upset about the inclusion of gravure modeling, remove the patch this instant. They change it to fashion modeling and things in that chapter are also referenced in the future. Although I still don't see how street clothes or any other fashion modeling is any less cringe with what I've seen on walkways.

You don't get it do you? Comparing ANY modeling to singing is stupid. This is not all about gravure; gravure modeling just made the comparison more bizarre. So removing the patch will not help the poor story.
You seem a lot more upset that I critized the story than my "upset", too.

Though I suppose, change it to fashion photography do help the "art" argument... You do know fashion extend more than just pretty clothes right?

Mass Destruction feels so cheap. First time I used it, I thought this skill is shit. Used it on a flying savage to get a session in. Destroyed them in that session.

If I don't use Mass Destruction I have to work for it a bit more. Not that threatening like in the early game, but still something that could potentially kill me.

Haha, that's fair. I didn't use Mass Destruction, but Ellie had over a 100 skill by the end in my game, so I'm sure it wrecked :p

Vhalyar

Other than for the arena, I can't see a point to single target heals. Ability healing honestly seems to badly lag behind in this game.

Rappy

You don't get it do you? Comparing ANY modeling to singing is stupid. This is not all about gravure; gravure modeling just made the comparison more bizarre. So removing the patch will not help the poor story.
You seem a lot more upset that I critized the story than my "upset", too.

Though I suppose, change it to fashion photography do help the "art" argument... You do know fashion extend more than just pretty clothes right?
You seem to not get it as I have to say: again, they are not directly comparing it just as they aren't directly comparing acting and other forms of entertainment media of Japan to singing. It's also like directly comparing the J-pop singing in this game to opera singing. You wouldn't do that and they aren't. And yes, sure I'm upset on your reasoning to skip through the rest of the game's dialogue and that's why I'm trying to argue my point about it. That doesn't change the fact that you're so upset over the inclusion of modeling that you'll forego and future dialogue/story of the game (which you could find just as bad, or not, but you're skipping it all anyway).

And I'm not sure where you're going with your second statement as that is just reinforcing points I already made. There's more to fashion than just the clothing itself which is why they included gravure idols/fashion models. The chapter is more about Tsubasa herself instead of what she is wearing because they never even focus/worry about what she is going to wear. You can be upset about the inclusion of modeling in the game, but at least be upset about it for a different reason other than "they're comparing it to singing/composing music" because they aren't. But I'll drop the arguing here if you still don't acknowledge that.

Well that was my point with the whole switching to the class you want to use in the end. Yes, they stay unlocked after class change as they all unlock as soon as you unlock the class. You don't need to make them first.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Legendary Arena told me no.

Brakke

Banned
Finished Chapter 3. Got my first Master Seal, have no idea what to do with it. Everyone on my bench right now has Watchfulness and Open Audition, so I feel like the game's hit a stride.

The writing in this game is a straight up disaster. You finish Barry's side quest that has him obsessing over a twelve year old girl *he actually knows* and then he unlocks a skill to "find happiness in the 3D world" but the gameplay effect of that skill is "make more money"? Meanwhile, Maiko is just straight up an alcoholic, sneaking off to Hee Ho Mart to buy hooch in the middle of a work day? And we're playing that for laughs? This game could be incredible if it was even slightly critical (or even aware) of the uglier sides of Japanese pop culture, instead of just celebrating everything.

lt519

Finished Chapter 3. Got my first Master Seal, have no idea what to do with it. Everyone on my bench right now has Watchfulness and Open Audition, so I feel like the game's hit a stride.

The writing in this game is a straight up disaster. You finish Barry's side quest that has him obsessing over a twelve year old girl *he actually knows* and then he unlocks a skill to "find happiness in the 3D world" but the gameplay effect of that skill is "make more money"? Meanwhile, Maiko is just straight up an alcoholic, sneaking off to Hee Ho Mart to buy hooch in the middle of a work day? And we're playing that for laughs? This game could be incredible if it was even slightly critical (or even aware) of the uglier sides of Japanese pop culture, instead of just celebrating everything.

Drunk bosses living in the past exploiting twelve year old singers/actresses to make more money isn't the ugly side of Japanese pop culture? (;

KarmaCow

I'm playing on and it might the set of savage enemies that are easy. They're not completely mindless though early on I was always contemplating dropping a smoke screen to just peace out but now I can mostly just bully my way through them without worrying about wiping.

I'm in the intermission between Chapter 4 and 5 and loving the game. Once you get more characters with Open Audition the battle system opens up and Dual Arts just makes it even better. Is there anyway to get Dual Arts to happen or are they completely random?

Brakke

Banned
Drunk bosses living in the past exploiting twelve year old singers/actresses to make more money isn't the ugly side of Japanese pop culture? (;

Right! It's the secret darkest game. These people all live horrific lives of quiet despair and exploitation and emptiest consumerism but none of them realize it. This game would be incredible if it acknowledged even once the nightmarish truth of the lives these people lead.

I've reached the point where I really just don't want any more money from enemies. I'm getting 50,000+ yen from each battle and I don't even need it. Just gimme those 6-star prestiges pls

BTA

Is there a good place I can find Regal Knights in chapter 4? I want to fight the boss but I also want new Carnages for Itsuki already and I need a drop from them. I fought one literally once in the second area and can't find them again.

EDIT: Of course, as soon as I post this I finally encounter one again after like 20-30 minutes of not doing so, welp.

If only I had fought most of these enemies instead of running; woulda been some nice grinding.

Draxal

Just checked out the prices. Buying something for everybody will only deplete a little over half of my total yen, haha. Didn't even know how I got this much.

Accessories/Costumes are the big sink.

Speaking of costumes.

Best costume is Toma's Ouga costume, with Yashiro's Schwalbe (wutever it was) costume being a close second.

Giolon

I finally got to sink some good time into this over the long weekend, and hoo boy is it amazing. It might as well be Persona 4.5. It serves as a nice appetizer until P5 finally makes it out in the west.

So far, I've managed to beat the Chapter 2 boss by the skin of my teeth, and I didn't realize until afterwards that Accessories actually have armor values attached to them. I had been fighting w/ everyone in their starter armor/accessories.

The Bloom Palace music is so soothing, I feel like I could listen to it all day. It gives me a vague Chrono Cross feeling.

I'm kind of on the fence about getting the DLC for this. Are any of the packs really worth it? I don't think I really care for the crossover costumes, but the one with missions sounds like it could be fun. I don't feel like I need the EXP, items/materials, and the other ones though.

A bit disappointed that several of the Duo Arts are gained just by talking to Maiko and a blurb in their profiles. Thought it would at least be a bit more elaborate, like maybe a scene of their collaboration or something.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"oh hey what's this room in the EXP dungeon?"

*3 Lv. 52 enemies, cannot escape, enemies can do 4 digit attacks*

OH GOD I AM COMPLETELY SCREWED

Edit: & got the Tsubasa's Kiss ad-lib to activate and.....THERE'S HER UNCENSORED SWIMSUIT AGAIN!! Like come on, Nintendo, this has to be the most inconsistent you've been with your changes.

squadr0n

Totally asked this in the wrong thread:

Are there any good guides/Wikis online people are using? Specifically looking for which replies to pick in conversations so I dont miss anything.

Also how do you restore your parties EP mid dungeon? Is there a location to go to to heal up and rest?? About to hit the last boss of the 106 Dungeon but my party has like no EP left and im out of the items to use that restore ep.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I just go back to the office & get something from the vending machines. It'll heal your HP & EP fully.

As for conversations, I don't think they really matter aside from Tsubasa & it's basically "pick the one that doesn't sound jerkish"

A bit disappointed that several of the Duo Arts are gained just by talking to Maiko and a blurb in their profiles. Thought it would at least be a bit more elaborate, like maybe a scene of their collaboration or something.
Scream that they ran out of time or budget, I can see a golden version with additional content detailing this lol. He'll if the game in a enhanced port have a speed up battle like BD it will score much higher for me, sessions will be much faster =/

coopolon

After seeing how awesome Ellie/Tsubasa's duo was with the dancing, I was REALLY disappointed when Kiria/Tsubasa's duo has them just standing there, especially when the music video was so good.

Is there any way to watch previous music videos?

Frimaire

I just go back to the office & get something from the vending machines. It'll heal your HP & EP fully.

As for conversations, I don't think they really matter aside from Tsubasa & it's basically "pick the one that doesn't sound jerkish"

Fuuuck, I forgot about this.
This locks you out of a duo art later on or something, yeah?
I may have missed it, I usually pick the dumb joke option...

Top Bottom