• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
DAAAMMMMNNNNN, I did Minori's first side-story & got a whopping four 3-star prestige and EIGHT 4-star from the fight.

After seeing how awesome Ellie/Tsubasa's duo was with the dancing, I was REALLY disappointed when Kiria/Tsubasa's duo has them just standing there, especially when the music video was so good.

Is there any way to watch previous music videos?

Uhhh the Kiria/Tsubasa duo has them do a whole lot more than stand there....

Man, I only have two duo skills, which I earned just after beating chapter 4, but they really make things a lot easier. I took down the intermediate arena with all encores without taking a scratch because they activated so often. Plus they have special side effects!

Tiki's second side quest.

Found one girl that said she got a donut off a girl with headphones, but I've been around the place like 5 times and I can't find her, where is she?

RK128

I don't own a Wii U, so I have been watching the story online. This.....this is Persona 4.5 through and through; the character interactions, the combat system, the story....it feels like a Persona game.

But the differences with setting, tone and music choice help make it separate from Persona a lot. I like the character so far and what I watched of the combat system looks to have the same level of depth as say, Persona 3 or 4 (but without the MC swapping between Personas).

The usage of FE and SMT elements can be felt at different points, like the Marge's being literal FE characters and the combat system/setting/world being inspired or having elements from SMT.

Basically, my long ramble equals too this; I love what I saw and if I had a Wii U this I would have gotten this day zero. Such a great game from what I saw online and I hope every Wii U owner considers giving this game a shot :).

aBarreras

i just beated the second dungeon boss, and im pretty sure it was pure luck, does anyone know what level should i be on that boss? im playing on hard

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finally got all the weapons & skills that require 3-star prestige made.

Might try Tsubasa's final side-story again, but need some strategy. Everyone is now at level 37 (Itsuki's at 38), but I think I might be too underpowered still since it recommends 47. Maybe I should just finish the intermission up & get Ch. 4 going.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Finally got all the weapons & skills that require 3-star prestige made.

Might try Tsubasa's final side-story again, but need some strategy. Everyone is now at level 37 (Itsuki's at 38), but I think I might be too underpowered still since it recommends 47. Maybe I should just finish the intermission up & get Ch. 4 going.
I just started the intermission of Chapter 1 and my group is level 15. It seems leveling up really slows down.

Meier

A little over 10 hours in and having a blast but the dungeons do go on a little long.

I forfeited the option to learn the ability to get the leech attack with Tsubasa.. will I ever get the ability to add skills I turned down?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So where can i get the items needed to help farm the enemies that drop macca converters
Hee Ho Mart. You can get the Attractor item which will increase the number of enemies that appear, then the Fastener S item, which will slow enemy movement on the map.

I forfeited the option to learn the ability to get the leech attack with Tsubasa.. will I ever get the ability to add skills I turned down?
Yes, different weapons might offer you the chance to re-learn certain skills, & if you already have it, it'll power it up, either by making it stronger or reducing the cost to use it.

A little over 10 hours in and having a blast but the dungeons do go on a little long.

Later on in the game you can remake a weapon you've already mastered to learn skills from it again.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I was just thinking the opposite. I really dig this game, but I can't help feeling that I'm constantly lost in the dungeons. It's not that they're too big it's that everything looks the same and the map system for something like the
photography
dungeon is useless because you're constantly changing floors.
I'm on this chapter now and I sort of know where I'm going, but barely. I put the game down after unlocking a shortcut tonight, so I know that when I come back to it later, I'm going to be suuuper lost. Everything looks identical. Even after a random encounter, I sort of lose my orientation.

Other than that relatively minor nitpick, game is addicting. Combat system is pretty fun and I like that they let you swap characters in and out without a "turn" penalty. Can't wait to keep going.

I just started the intermission of Chapter 1 and my group is level 15. It seems leveling up really slows down.
It felt that way to me too, then I got to chapter 2 and I'm skyrocketing through levels. However, pretty sure I'm under-leveled, since the midboss was like level 24 and I was like 19 at the time. It was really challenging, I had multiple people die, but it was a blast to get through.

I'd put it on hard, but since I'm not a fan of grinding, I'd rather be underlevelled and enjoy the challenge on normal.

lt519

So just beat it, went back and did all the side stories and arenas and with Istuki at level 60 and his lackeys at between 50 and 55 I was still getting one shotted by the final boss' almighty. Didn't want to have to grind again so just lowered the difficulty to be done with it.

I really enjoyed the game but was pretty soured by the final boss fight. I cruised through everything up to him and then ran into a total level and gear check. I hate when RPGs do that on the final boss.

The last idolasphere seemed unecessary too. I guess I'm echoing many of the reviewers opinions here, game overstayed it's welcome by 5-10 hours and was only worth keeping going because of the battle system.

I think I should have taken a large break after 40 hours. Ended up fast forwarding through much of the side story dialogue just to get to the end.

You seem to not get it as I have to say: again, they are not directly comparing it just as they aren't directly comparing acting and other forms of entertainment media of Japan to singing. It's also like directly comparing the J-pop singing in this game to opera singing. You wouldn't do that and they aren't. And yes, sure I'm upset on your reasoning to skip through the rest of the game's dialogue and that's why I'm trying to argue my point about it. That doesn't change the fact that you're so upset over the inclusion of modeling that you'll forego and future dialogue/story of the game (which you could find just as bad, or not, but you're skipping it all anyway).

And I'm not sure where you're going with your second statement as that is just reinforcing points I already made. There's more to fashion than just the clothing itself which is why they included gravure idols/fashion models. The chapter is more about Tsubasa herself instead of what she is wearing because they never even focus/worry about what she is going to wear. You can be upset about the inclusion of modeling in the game, but at least be upset about it for a different reason other than "they're comparing it to singing/composing music" because they aren't. But I'll drop the arguing here if you still don't acknowledge that.

I get that they aren't directly comparing modeling to singing but about "professional attitude brahbrahbrah". My point is that they are poor writing to even try to connect them in the first place, directly or indirectly.
Also I don't think gravure modeling is art, just like I don't think the modern selfie or 80s sexy cards are art. This is only my opinion, of course.
Finally, the modeling chapter isn't the only thing that made me decide to ignore the dialog. Yes I am upset that they use a shallow, non talent related work to make a plot point about professional attitude and more importantly, write it very poorly. But it is not like I love the writing from the beginning. I merely tolerable the idol silliness and the chapter is the last straw to make me think ok maybe I actually don't care. I still pay attention to the main plot, just not their supposedly "emotional" dialogs.

Frimaire

Does anybody know exactly what the Sword/Axe/etc. parry passives do?
Are they essentially the Resist ___ but for weapon-based attacks?
Do they cover up weaknesses?
The phrasing "slightly reduces damage from skills" make them sound kinda weak...

Yeah they are weak, nothing like the magic side.
Damn, that sucks...
So I guess there's no real way to cover up Weapon-based weaknesses, then...

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Does anybody know exactly what the Sword/Axe/etc. parry passives do?
Are they essentially the Resist ___ but for weapon-based attacks?
Do they cover up weaknesses?
The phrasing "slightly reduces damage from skills" make them sound kinda weak...
Yeah they are weak, nothing like the magic side.

I get that they aren't directly comparing modeling to singing but about "professional attitude brahbrahbrah". My point is that they are poor writing to even try to connect them in the first place, directly or indirectly.
Also I don't think gravure modeling is art, just like I don't think the modern selfie or 80s sexy cards are art. This is only my opinion, of course.
Finally, the modeling chapter isn't the only thing that made me decide to ignore the dialog. Yes I am upset that they use a shallow, non talent related work to make a plot point about professional attitude and more importantly, write it very poorly. But it is not like I love the writing from the beginning. I merely tolerable the idol silliness and the chapter is the last straw to make me think ok maybe I actually don't care. I still pay attention to the main plot, just not their supposedly "emotional" dialogs.

Jesus Christ. It can be "your opinion" as much as you want, but when you start throwing stuff like "shallow, non talent related work" to describe fashion photography and modeling, specially related to professionalism, you start sounding more like a pretentious, ignorant snob than the artistic fella I'm sure you think you look like, and you can't really expect people to care very much about it when you obviously can't have any respect for the crapton of great, extremely professional photographers working on fashion who know more about their profession and do it better than a lot of people even dream of doing whatever it is they call art under your definition (and that's without mentioning the models). Besides, the hell are you doing playing a light-comedy video game in the first place when true enlightened, artistically inclined fellas know that it doesn't get much more shallow and non talent related than games.

just finished chapter 3, 19 hrs in ;3

Before I started playing the game last week I asked in this thread how long it would take to complete it and I was told between 20 and 30 hours. I'm about to finish chapter 5 and according to my save file I've been playing for 45 hours! Atlus gonna Atlus, I should have known. My sleep schedule is a mess thanks to TMS but I'm happy because it had been quite a while since I last enjoyed a game this much.

Frimaire

There actually is, different carnages have different weaknesses/resistance so some change weapon weaknesses/resistance.

Really? I guess I haven't unlocked those carnages yet...
Some of the ones I have will null or reflect certain weapons, but they always have a consistent weakness, like sword wielders are always weak to lance attacks.

Sölf

After a small break (because I had to play Zero Time Dilemma... and couldn't motivate me to boot the game up for the next few days) I finished chapter 4 yesterday. The chapter boss was suprisingly easy. And god, I love Duo Arts, even though I only saw them once so far. I now have like 5 or 6 side missions I can try to do. Even though they are level 42+ and my highest character is only 43 and my lowest 38. If I get stuck I just continue and do them doring chapter 5.

Jesus Christ. It can be "your opinion" as much as you want, but when you start throwing stuff like "shallow, non talent related work" to describe fashion photography and modeling, specially related to professionalism, you start sounding more like a pretentious, ignorant snob than the artistic fella I'm sure you think you look like, and you can't really expect people to care very much about it when you obviously can't have any respect for the crapton of great, extremely professional photographers working on fashion who know more about their profession and do it better than a lot of people even dream of doing whatever it is they call art under your definition (and that's without mentioning the models). Besides, the hell are you doing playing a light-comedy video game in the first place when true enlightened, artistically inclined fellas know that it doesn't get much more shallow and non talent related than games.
Oh, sorry that I don't consider your precious fictional idol gravure shot to be the holy example of artistic talent. And no I wasn't refer to fashion photography, erotic photography or photography as whole to be shallow, if you actually read my posts. My statement is refer solely to the game and how it chose to present its character. If you have to read that as attack on anything else, suit yourself. Just don't put words in my mouth.
Edit: good luck with that arguement of "why do you play X game if you don't like Y factor of the game" that use so often to dismiss other people's opinion. Like I said, if you actually read my posts, the first thing I said in this OT was praises to the game's battle system. But people like you always ignore that.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Some of the ones I have will null or reflect certain weapons, but they always have a consistent weakness, like sword wielders are always weak to lance attacks.
Oh my bad, I thought he meant altering the swath of the weapon row, you are correct, there are some parts that are never changed and can only be supported by passive skill dodges/damage reduction.

In other news, fuck the superboss of the game, gonna have to grind for like a dozen hours to beat this shit.

Javier

Okay, Zombie status can fuck right off. I do think it's clever (and kinda funny) on how it works, but the way it can incapacitate your whole party is frustrating as shit.

That weapon triangle that totally doesn't exist in this game.

Okay, Zombie status can fuck right off. I do think it's clever (and kinda funny) on how it works, but the way it can incapacitate your whole party is frustrating as shit.

In what chapter/dungeon did you encounter that? I have yet to see it and I think I'm getting close to the end of the game.

massoluk

Banned
Man, that feeling when you used up the last bead chain you have been stockpiling during the final boss fight and it still has 50% heath left. Beaten it miraculously, onward to Hard difficulty

LOL, I just finished the game last night, I don't think I ever got Zombie status.

Man, the numerous bosses in the last two chapters have been wearing me out on Hard. I can tell I'm really close to the end, but I'm hoping
....the Shadow Dragon...
doesn't hit me with multiple forms/phases or anything like that.

Hobbun

Just started Chapter 2 intermission and really enjoying the game so far.

I think the only real issue (besides not knowing what is being said in combat) is having to replace skills, never been a fan of having to pick and choose. Wish you just had unlimited skill slots.

Also, have a question, but what is the
yellow enemy? I saw it in the Chapter 2 dungeon and it actually runs away from me and has disappeared when I’ve gotten close to it.

Spoiler the answer if needed.

Just started Chapter 2 intermission and really enjoying the game so far.

I think the only real issue (besides not knowing what I have is having to replace skills, never been a fan of having to pick and choose. Wish you just had unlimited skill slots.

Also, have a question, but what is the
yellow enemy? I saw it in the Chapter 2 dungeon and it actually runs away from me and has disappeared when I’ve gotten close to it.

Spoiler the answer if needed.

Rare enemies. They drop the Performa that's listed as from 'An Unknown Land' when you look them up in the Bloom Palace.

Well, I think I might be dumping this game. I just got laid out by a Savage Enemy encounter in the Chapter 3 dungeon, and apparently when you die in this game you just have to load your last save. Mine is back in the Chapter 2 intermission. That's like an hour of text I'm going to have to button through alone to get back where I was, to say nothing of all the leveling I did in the dungeon. I was just about to use the Smoke Ball or whatever it is to escape the battle but they took out my last two guys in the same turn.

Fuck me, how do you make a game without checkpoints or autosaves in this day and age? When it dumped me back to the title menu to load my save I just stared at the screen in disbelief for like a minute before turning my Wii U straight off. Maybe I'll get back to it in a few days when I've cooled off, but Jesus I don't want to go through all that bullshit all over again. Guess I'll be saving every five minutes from now on.

Whizkid7

Yeah I don't know how Armor plays into the stats. But every chapter you can essentially get +10 armor for all your characters and some stat boosts. With Armor in the 30s early on a +10 is a 33% increase in Armor. And even if you find something that gives you +2 DEF (I did Metal Braces early on and then the Wind Amulet thing) and everyone is at 30s/40s defensively that's a good 5% increase. It can all stack up to make the difference in surviving a blow vs not surviving. I think in Chapter 4 the character specific accessories start to show up which make your characters significantly more powerful in their respective areas.

Internet seems to think Armor is a base stat and then RES and DEF are added to that for their respective attacks. Would explain why it makes such a big difference early on when the numbers are lower and the Armor increase is significant.

Holy crap what a difference upgrading their accessories made. I think some of my character were wearing stuff from Ch.2. Went back to the boss and beat him with minimal difficulty. That'll teach me not to check the store every chapter.

Hobbun

Well, I think I might be dumping this game. I just got laid out by a Savage Enemy encounter in the Chapter 3 dungeon, and apparently when you die in this game you just have to load your last save. Mine is back in the Chapter 2 intermission. That's like an hour of text I'm going to have to button through alone to get back where I was, to say nothing of all the leveling I did in the dungeon. I was just about to use the Smoke Ball or whatever it is to escape the battle but they took out my last two guys in the same turn.

Fuck me, how do you make a game without checkpoints or autosaves in this day and age? When it dumped me back to the title menu to load my save I just stared at the screen in disbelief for like a minute before turning my Wii U straight off. Maybe I'll get back to it in a few days when I've cooled off, but Jesus I don't want to go through all that bullshit all over again. Guess I'll be saving every five minutes from now on.

Sorry, but that's what you should have been doing already. And please take no offense, but I get tired of people complaining about losing an hour plus worth of progress because they couldn’t take the time to save their game.

It’s no fault of the game, especially considering you can save anywhere. After you finish an especially long cut scene, save your game. You finish a few fights in the dungeon, save your game. You defeat an especially difficult boss (or any boss, for that matter), save your game.

20cent

Banned
i just beated the second dungeon boss, and im pretty sure it was pure luck, does anyone know what level should i be on that boss? im playing on hard

The last boss of chap.2 ? The game recommends to be at least at level 24 before opening the door I think.

Sorry, but that's what you should have been doing already. And please take no offense, but I get tired of people complaining about losing an hour plus worth of progress because they couldn’t take the time to save their game.

It’s no fault of the game, especially considering you can save anywhere. After you finish an especially long cut scene, save your game. You finish a few fights in the dungeon, save your game. You defeat an especially difficult boss (or any boss, for that matter), save your game.

It’s not a hard concept. Be glad you are not playing a game where you can only save at specific points, like at an inn, the overworld or ‘camps’ in dungeons. And many of those games are classics and still a blast to play, even with their ‘outdated’ concepts.

Nope, not interested in this bullshit game design. This is 2016; games have checkpoints and autosaves so you don't have to open their slow-ass menus and save constantly. I didn't bother to do it because I never for a second thought that a modern game would work that way.

Fuck, the least they could do would be to say that that's how it's going to be. Throw a line into the tutorial, "Make sure you save often because we've decided not to do autosaves like all other games, PS fuck you". I honestly can't remember the last game that expected me to load a manual save on death. It probably would have been a PS2 game, or an ancient PC game or something.

Top Bottom