• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

So, about 30 hours into this game (on Chapter 4), and my biggest criticism is the Session system. Sure, it's fun when you can use your team to pile on the enemies and just obliterate them, but the opposite is perhaps the most un-fun I've had in a game.

There's no fun of walking into a fight and having only a single character be able to take a single move, and, and then have a cavalcade of enemy Sessions wipe your entire team out with no possible recourse that you could have ever had to prevent it from happening.

It certainly encourages a "save everywhere, save often" mindset, but I can't help but think there would've been a way to moderate it to make the situation less frustrating.

The only enemies I can think of that can even get close to being able to do that are Savage Enemies, and you do generally have advanced notice of what you're getting into with that. I'm playing on hard, and honestly haven't had too much trouble with it outside of said Savage encounters. It seems pretty much in line with SMT/Persona systems to me. I understand where you're coming from, but it's just something to expect from Atlus games. It's pretty much one of their trademarks.

That being said, if you haven't saved recently, it sucks. But Atlus games do have me trained to, as you said, save constantly by this point.

I'm absolutely in love with this game. And I'm just halfway through Chapter 2.

Everything I didn't like about Persona 4 is much improved (seriously good dungeons, ultra fast pacing including story, really great character progression over Persona fusion).

spekkeh

Banned
Playing this game, I'm kind of wondering why games get localized voice acting in the first place. Though it probably feels more on point due to taking place in Tokyo.

Giolon

The only enemies I can think of that can even get close to being able to do that are Savage Enemies, and you do generally have advanced notice of what you're getting into with that. I'm playing on hard, and honestly haven't had too much trouble with it outside of said Savage encounters. It seems pretty much in line with SMT/Persona systems to me. I understand where you're coming from, but it's just something to expect from Atlus games. It's pretty much one of their trademarks.

That being said, if you haven't saved recently, it sucks. But Atlus games do have me trained to, as you said, save constantly by this point.

I've also had it happen with "Request" enemies, and off course boss fights w/ their adds. In Persona, hitting a weakness would only grant a single extra attack. Which, while bad, didn't as often give the enemy the ability to put your team into a complete death spiral in a single turn (at least not on Normal difficulty).

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Playing this game, I'm kind of wondering why games get localized voice acting in the first place. Though it probably feels more on point due to taking place in Tokyo.
Believe it or not, having only Japanese voices turn off a very sizable amount of purchasers.

There are
chapters. (I feel like I asked this myself earlier in the thread without spoiler tags, oops, but maybe people don't want to know.)
What I read before is that there are
chapters and the prologue...

I'm up to the third part of chapter 6.

What I read before is that there are
chapters and the prologue...

I'm up to the third part of chapter 6.

There are
only 6
chapters,
plus the a prologue, and epilogue. Some people counted those two as unique chapters so the number 8 was floating around.

Gala

There are
chapters. (I feel like I asked this myself earlier in the thread without spoiler tags, oops, but maybe people don't want to know.)

To get the true ending:
1. Do all three side stories for every character before you fight the final boss
Talk to each of them (Barry and Maiko included) before you end the epilogue

Thank you, so my gud feeling was right.

Makeda

I just started this game yesterday and slowly but surely working my way through it - liking what I'm playing so far but two things so far are a bit off-putting...

Firstly, going back to 'base' to get new carnage & radiant abilities is a bit of a pain, esp when I'm halfway through a dungeon and my character has a fully inherited weapon. I assume this will ease up later as the weapons will take longer to max out, but at the moment it feels like I spend more time running in and out of the dungeon tarher than being in it.

And more importantly, EP.
Are there any skills you can get later on that replenish as you go? I keep running low as I love to pile-on the enemy with sessions :(

I just started this game yesterday and slowly but surely working my way through it - liking what I'm playing so far but two things so far are a bit off-putting...

Firstly, going back to 'base' to get new carnage & radiant abilities is a bit of a pain, esp when I'm halfway through a dungeon and my character has a fully inherited weapon. I assume this will ease up later as the weapons will take longer to max out, but at the moment it feels like I spend more time running in and out of the dungeon tarher than being in it.

And more importantly, EP.
Are there any skills you can get later on that replenish as you go? I keep running low as I love to pile-on the enemy with sessions :(

Sessions only use EP for the initial skill. After about chapter 1, EP no longer is really an issue. I don't think I ever used an EP restorative item after the prologue.

In regards to going back to base, just buy some portable exits from the conbini and use them after you reach a warp pad, so you can get back to your position in the dungeon quickly.

Zankou

Chapter 3. 26 hours played. Still enjoying/liking this game a lot.

If I had only more time/motivation to play during working week... orz

Rikudo

Banned
At chapter 2's dungeon now. This game is fucking rad. Can't believe I judged this game badly over the idol nonsense lol.

Q : Is it a good way to level up all my characters by just swapping them out as necessary dealing with enemy weaknesses?

HawthorneKitty

Bah I thought things were going swimmingly in Lunatic since I had very clean fights up to miniboss 2 (surprisingly at normal recommended levels), but boss 2 is proving to be a wall. Been trying to employ tactics of evasion and sleep to bypass the bodyguard and more adds, but it doesn't seem enough, never even got to AOE. If only SP skills didn't suck at this stage of the game.
At chapter 2's dungeon now. This game is fucking rad. Can't believe I judged this game badly over the idol nonsense lol.

Q : Is it a good way to level up all my characters by just swapping them out as necessary dealing with enemy weaknesses?
Yeah, switching to just complete 3 chain sessions works out fine to balance leveling, though it may be hard for newer characters so find the carnages that have links so they can participate in more situations.

Is Life Gain worth chucking on Touma? Seems like it'd come in handy to avoid dying, but I don't know what to get rid of. He has:

Fire Expertise
Pierce
Blades of Restraint
Lance Expertise
Sneak Peak
Yasha Soul +1

HawthorneKitty

Is Life Gain worth chucking on Touma? Seems like it'd come in handy to avoid dying, but I don't know what to get rid of. He has:

Fire Expertise
Pierce
Blades of Restraint
Lance Expertise
Sneak Peak
Yasha Soul +1
I wouldn't get it, if you really want it, remove Sneak Peak.

Dee Dee

Starting chapter 6 now, really excited about the chapter name!

Beat the first trial last night, ouf. Glad they give me side quests to do inbetween, because that was hard as nails.
No more bead chains for me now...

Can someone give me some hints on the costume based achievements?
I got "training battle" and "everyday encounter", but can't figure out the other combinations (does Kiria ever get a school uniform?).

Chapter 5:

In Illusory Daiba there's a part of the map I haven't been to, looks like you can jump down from it on either side, but I don't know how to get up there.

The sequence of numbers on the monitors changes sometimes, if I follow the sequence does that also change where it takes me?

Is there a way to restore your entire party (both hp and ep)? Early in the game and just escaped a dungeon. Trying to figure out how to get everyone back to 100%. Thanks

Chapter 5:

In Illusory Daiba there's a part of the map I haven't been to, looks like you can jump down from it on either side, but I don't know how to get up there.

The sequence of numbers on the monitors changes sometimes, if I follow the sequence does that also change where it takes me?

Return at some random time in chap 6.
The screens will be...different.

Ulysses 31

No, the end of chapter boss. Spamming mirrors seems like such a bullshit design concept.

I just beat that trio on hard and I didn't even know about mirrors. >.>

Relying on mirrors sounds lame indeed, got so far without and I intent to keep it that way.

Anbec7

Open session skill is just awesome.
On chapter 3 now what bugs me is that sometimes their rank levels up which open a side story and you keep getting messages lol

When you gain new skills and have to "forfeit" the new/old ones, can you later change them out or is it a permanent decision? I can't seem to find where to swap out forfeited skills in the menu

Ulysses 31

When you gain new skills and have to "forfeit" the new/old ones, can you later change them out or is it a permanent decision? I can't seem to find where to swap out forfeited skills in the menu

Later you can "empower" your masterd carnage weapons and relearn the skills.

edit: typo

Vertti

Had super tight fight against Tsubasa's 3rd side mission boss. One character alive with 10 HP, no AP on any character. Had to use the force attack item which was just enough to KO the boss.

Felt so good. After the battle I realized that Tsubasa had some shitty weapon for some reason. Probably would have been a bit easier otherwise.

okay, can someone explain the concept behind the chapter 4 dungeon? I've been wandering around, found all the rooms, randomly at some point i got teleported to a big room where I had to choose a specific party member + tsubasa and fight an annoying fight with reviving enemies. Now I'm back to randomly wandering around but now there are two episode screens in the first room (1 and 9)

Ulysses 31

okay, can someone explain the concept behind the chapter 4 dungeon? I've been wandering around, found all the rooms, randomly at some point i got teleported to a big room where I had to choose a specific party member + tsubasa and fight an annoying fight with reviving enemies. Now I'm back to randomly wandering around but now there are two episode screens in the first room (1 and 9)

Those screens match the room layout of the dungeon so you check out the rooms where something's happening... >.>

Dee Dee

I am half-way (I wish....) through chapter 6, by which I mean I completed the trials after a really cool boss fight against
Gangref
and have now entered what would be the final dungeon
Illusory Dohrl in the Cosmic Egg
. I just had some kind of mini boss fight against
Garrick
and I think I can see where this is going.
._.

I have a lot of questions now:

1) Touma and Mamori just stood there talking to their mirages after the fight, I assume that is when I need to talk to them for the true ending?

2) How do I make Yashiro's third side story pop?

3) I gave the top hat ghost in the arena all my Detritus but it's just giving me incense. I thought I could get a permanent unlock skill for chests that way?

4) What's the use in the demon negotiation in the arena? Just to get materials from dungeons?

5) Jeeeeesus, how many 6* prestiges do I need...

Also: Why won't Tiki wear her costume all the time now... :C

HawthorneKitty

I am half-way (I wish....) through chapter 6, by which I mean I completed the trials after a really cool boss fight against
Gangref
and have now entered what would be the final dungeon
Illusory Dohrl in the Cosmic Egg
. I just had some kind of mini boss fight against
Garrick
and I think I can see where this is going.
._.

I have a lot of questions now:

1) Touma and Mamori just stood there talking to their mirages after the fight, I assume that is when I need to talk to them for the true ending?

2) How do I make Yashiro's third side story pop?

3) I gave the top hat ghost in the arena all my Detritus but it's just giving me incense. I thought I could get a permanent unlock skill for chests that way?

4) What's the use in the demon negotiation in the arena? Just to get materials from dungeons?

5) Jeeeeesus, how many 6* prestiges do I need...

Also: Why won't Tiki wear her costume all the time now... :C
1. No it's later

2. Check the office PC

3. Give him more, needs over 100

4. Pretty much

5. A lot

About to begin Chapter 6 & have all possible side quests done...

How many hours until end? I have off tomorrow & I'm hoping to finish (before MHG).

Top Bottom